|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Inman attempt to find Ada?
(a) He follows footsteps in the snow.
(b) He follows a map Swimmer gave him.
(c) He follows blood drops on the vegetation.
(d) He follows directions given to him at Black Cove.
2. Who comes to visit while Ada is at Black Cove alone in the chapter, A Satisfied Mind?
3. What is taken from Sara's home during the visit by the men who come to Sara's while Inman is still asleep in her bed?
(a) All her money and valuable possessions.
(c) Three chickens and the hog.
(d) Her infant.
4. How does this new person help Inman with his journey?
(a) She nurses him through his illness.
(b) She gives him a ride back to the military hospital.
(c) She treats his wounds and gives him medication.
(d) She feeds him a hearty meal that staves off starvation.
5. What does Inman do to his companion's horse upon meeting up with another group of men?
(a) Inman forces Ada's horse to stop.
(b) Inman forces Ruby's horse to gallop toward the approaching men.
(c) Inman forces Ruby's horse to gallop in the opposite direction.
(d) Inman forces Stobrod's horse to gallop away.
6. What decision does Inman make about his outlier status?
(a) Inman decides to go to the Federals and pledge allegiance to the Union.
(b) Inman decides to continue to hide until the war is over.
(c) Inman decides to return to the hospital from which he escaped.
(d) Inman decides to return to active duty.
7. In the chapter, A Satisfied Mind, what does Ruby take into town to trade for beef?
(b) Ralph, the horse.
(c) Waldo, the cow.
(d) Freshly made apple cider.
8. What wish does Inman make when he lies down to sleep in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
(a) For a larger moon.
(b) To see Ada before he dies.
(c) A quick end to his journey.
(d) To be alive when the sun rises.
9. Why does Inman's progress begin to slow in the chapter, The Doing of It?
(a) Inman is injured, both from a wound to the head and the wound in his neck from the war battle.
(b) Inman has begun to starve to death and the malnutrition is making him so sick he cannot walk very well.
(c) Inman is beginning to doubt his decision to walk away from his committment to the army and is considering returning.
(d) Inman has contracted an illness in his chest, is running a fever, and is delirious.
10. Who rides up and begins asking Strobrod and Pangle questions?
(a) An Indian scout.
(b) The Home Guard led by Teague.
(c) A Confederate scout.
(d) Some Federals.
11. What causes one of these men to believe Stobrod and Pangle are holy men?
(a) Their music.
(b) Their clothing.
(c) Their Bibles.
(d) Their speeches.
12. Who is Sara, a woman Inman meets in the chapter, Bride Bed Full of Blood?
(a) A hermit woman.
(b) The defiled companion of a preacher.
(c) An old girlfriend of Veasey's.
(d) A war widow.
13. What does Ada hear that causes her to return to Inman?
(a) Stobrod's voice yelling for help.
(b) Inman's voice yelling for help.
(c) A gun shot.
(d) The distinctive sound of Inman's gun.
14. What does Inman dream about in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
(a) That he has been killed in battle.
(b) That he has returned to Cold Mountain to find Ada married to another man.
(c) That he has become a bear and is shot and skinned by hunters.
(d) That he returns to Sara and becomes her husband.
15. What does Inman learn about this new person that leaves him feeling as though solitude might not be the answer?
(a) That she risks death every time she does anything that could lead to injury.
(b) That solitude is boring.
(c) That she is lonesome and he would be too.
(d) That solitude leads to insanity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ruby find in the trap she set in the cornfield?
2. What noise attracts Inman to Ada and Ruby's camp?
3. How did this person get his nickname?
4. Who does Inman meet as he comes to the end of his map in the chapter, The Doing of It?
5. How did this person come to compose his own music?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)