|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What wish does Inman make when he lies down to sleep in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
(a) To be alive when the sun rises.
(b) For a larger moon.
(c) A quick end to his journey.
(d) To see Ada before he dies.
2. What happens to the mother bear that is attempting to protect her cub from Inman?
(a) She charges him and falls from a cliff.
(b) Inman is forced to kill her.
(c) She simply walks away, leaving her cub behind.
(d) She is killed by a passing Indian.
3. With whom does Inman leave the camp?
(c) Ada and Ruby.
(d) Ruby and Stobrod.
4. What happens to the men who steal from Sara's home?
(a) They have an accident on their starved horses.
(b) They run into a band of Indians who scalp them.
(c) Sara shoots them with her husband's riffle.
(d) Inman kills them and retrieves Sara's belongings.
5. What is taken from Sara's home during the visit by the men who come to Sara's while Inman is still asleep in her bed?
(a) All her money and valuable possessions.
(b) Her infant.
(d) Three chickens and the hog.
6. What does Ada tell Inman about her relationship with Ruby?
(a) That Ruby is not a servant and will not take orders.
(b) That Ruby is her child.
(c) That Ruby has become her lover.
(d) That Ruby is her illegitimate sister.
7. What does Inman do to his companion's horse upon meeting up with another group of men?
(a) Inman forces Stobrod's horse to gallop away.
(b) Inman forces Ada's horse to stop.
(c) Inman forces Ruby's horse to gallop in the opposite direction.
(d) Inman forces Ruby's horse to gallop toward the approaching men.
8. What does Ruby instruct Ada to do while she is in town trading for beef?
(a) Build a scarecrow.
(b) Split logs and burn brush.
(c) Plow the fields.
(d) Milk the cow.
9. What is the first thing Inman does when he finally finds Ada?
10. What decision does Inman make about his outlier status?
(a) Inman decides to return to active duty.
(b) Inman decides to go to the Federals and pledge allegiance to the Union.
(c) Inman decides to continue to hide until the war is over.
(d) Inman decides to return to the hospital from which he escaped.
11. How does this new person help Inman with his journey?
(a) She nurses him through his illness.
(b) She gives him a ride back to the military hospital.
(c) She feeds him a hearty meal that staves off starvation.
(d) She treats his wounds and gives him medication.
12. Who is Pangle?
(a) A new cow Ruby brings home.
(b) Ruby's brother.
(c) A gentle, child-like man and companion to Stobrod.
(d) Ada's cousin.
13. Who rides up and begins asking Strobrod and Pangle questions?
(a) An Indian scout.
(b) The Home Guard led by Teague.
(c) A Confederate scout.
(d) Some Federals.
14. What causes one of these men to believe Stobrod and Pangle are holy men?
(a) Their Bibles.
(b) Their music.
(c) Their clothing.
(d) Their speeches.
15. Why does Inman's progress begin to slow in the chapter, The Doing of It?
(a) Inman has begun to starve to death and the malnutrition is making him so sick he cannot walk very well.
(b) Inman is beginning to doubt his decision to walk away from his committment to the army and is considering returning.
(c) Inman is injured, both from a wound to the head and the wound in his neck from the war battle.
(d) Inman has contracted an illness in his chest, is running a fever, and is delirious.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did this person come to compose his own music?
2. How many people were originally in the grief stricken mother's family that Inman meets in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
3. Who does Inman meet as he comes to the end of his map in the chapter, The Doing of It?
4. What does Inman read to Ada while she makes dinner after his arrival?
5. What does Inman dream about in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)