|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Ruby and Ada about the shooting of Stobrod and Pangle?
(a) The Georgia boy.
(b) One of the outliers.
(c) The boy from Tennessee.
(d) One of the men who shot them.
2. Who comes to visit while Ada is at Black Cove alone in the chapter, A Satisfied Mind?
3. How did this person get his nickname?
(a) He was nearly beaten to death with a short, straight piece of wood.
(b) He was expected to have been a girl.
(c) He once broke an expensive vase.
(d) He was married to a woman named Inna.
4. What does Inman offer to do for a grief stricken mother in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
(a) Bury her child.
(b) Find her missing child.
(c) Fix her leaky roof.
(d) Harvest her tabacco.
5. Why does Inman decide to attack the approaching group of men?
(a) Inman wants to surrender, but not to these men who will surely kill him and his companion.
(b) Inman is tired of running.
(c) Inman feels he has no choice, there is no reasoning or hiding from these men.
(d) Inman has seen Ada, so now he is ready to die.
6. Who comes to Sara's house the next morning after she and Inman share a bed?
(a) The local law.
(b) Three Federals.
(c) The local Home Guard.
(d) Several injured Confederates.
7. What memory of Ada does Inman share with Ada while they are alone in Ada's cabin?
(a) The first time he saw her in church.
(b) The Christmas party where she sat in his lap.
(c) The day she apologized for ridiculing his stories.
(d) The afternoon they strolled by the river.
8. What happens to the men who steal from Sara's home?
(a) They run into a band of Indians who scalp them.
(b) Inman kills them and retrieves Sara's belongings.
(c) Sara shoots them with her husband's riffle.
(d) They have an accident on their starved horses.
9. What type of animal does the new person Inman meets in the chapter, The Doing of It, raise?
10. With whom does Inman leave the camp?
(c) Ada and Ruby.
(d) Ruby and Stobrod.
11. How did this person come to compose his own music?
(a) He was inspired by his daughter.
(b) He was inspired by a dying girl he was paid to perform for.
(c) He was inspired by the death and destruction he witnessed in the war.
(d) He was inspired by the death of the woman he loved.
12. Why does Sara agree to launder and mend Inman's clothes?
(a) In payment for food Inman gives her.
(b) In payment for repairs he agrees to do to her cabin.
(c) In payment for farm work Inman agrees to do.
(d) In payment for him slaughtering her hog.
13. Where do Ruby and Ada spend the night as they set out to find Stobrod and Pangle?
(a) In an old Indian village.
(b) In an abandoned barn.
(c) In a shelter Ruby knew as a child.
(d) At the home of a friend of Monroe's.
14. Why does Sara ask Inman to share her bed?
(a) Sara has no other place for Inman to sleep.
(b) Sara finds Inman attractive.
(c) Sara is a prostitute in need of money.
(d) Sara misses her husband and needs to feel some human connection.
15. What does Ruby instruct Ada to do while she is in town trading for beef?
(a) Plow the fields.
(b) Build a scarecrow.
(c) Split logs and burn brush.
(d) Milk the cow.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the chapter, Naught and Grief, who has joined Stobrod and Pangle?
2. What does Ada hear that causes her to return to Inman?
3. What does Ada tell Inman about her relationship with Ruby?
4. What does Inman dream about in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
5. What decision does Inman make about his outlier status?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)