|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ada tell Inman about her relationship with Ruby?
(a) That Ruby is her child.
(b) That Ruby has become her lover.
(c) That Ruby is not a servant and will not take orders.
(d) That Ruby is her illegitimate sister.
2. What happens to the men who steal from Sara's home?
(a) They run into a band of Indians who scalp them.
(b) They have an accident on their starved horses.
(c) Sara shoots them with her husband's riffle.
(d) Inman kills them and retrieves Sara's belongings.
3. What do Ruby and Ada allow the messenger to do as they leave?
(a) To take their horse to escape the area.
(b) To sleep in the house until they return.
(c) To take a few chickens when he leaves.
(d) To sleep in the hayloft until dark.
4. In the chapter, A Satisfied Mind, what does Ruby take into town to trade for beef?
(a) Freshly made apple cider.
(c) Waldo, the cow.
(d) Ralph, the horse.
5. What is the first thing Inman does when he finally finds Ada?
6. Where do Ada and Ruby go for the night as snow begins to threaten?
(a) To an abandoned Indian cave.
(b) To an abandoned barn.
(c) To the same shelter they used the night before.
(d) To a village abandoned by the Trail of Tears.
7. What does Ruby send Ada out to get when Stobrod wakes them with his coughing in the middle of the night?
(a) Fresh fruit.
(d) Wild Turkeys.
8. Where do Ruby and Ada spend the night as they set out to find Stobrod and Pangle?
(a) At the home of a friend of Monroe's.
(b) In an abandoned barn.
(c) In an old Indian village.
(d) In a shelter Ruby knew as a child.
9. What happens to the mother bear that is attempting to protect her cub from Inman?
(a) She simply walks away, leaving her cub behind.
(b) She is killed by a passing Indian.
(c) She charges him and falls from a cliff.
(d) Inman is forced to kill her.
10. How does this new person help Inman with his journey?
(a) She nurses him through his illness.
(b) She gives him a ride back to the military hospital.
(c) She treats his wounds and gives him medication.
(d) She feeds him a hearty meal that staves off starvation.
11. Why does Sara ask Inman to share her bed?
(a) Sara finds Inman attractive.
(b) Sara has no other place for Inman to sleep.
(c) Sara is a prostitute in need of money.
(d) Sara misses her husband and needs to feel some human connection.
12. What decision does Inman make about his outlier status?
(a) Inman decides to return to the hospital from which he escaped.
(b) Inman decides to go to the Federals and pledge allegiance to the Union.
(c) Inman decides to return to active duty.
(d) Inman decides to continue to hide until the war is over.
13. How does Ruby react to Inman's eventual arrival?
(a) Ruby is indifferent, except for a concern over the amount of food they must share with him.
(b) Ruby insists Ada does not need a man.
(c) Ruby falls deeply in love and begins to flirt with Inman.
(d) Ruby is darkly jealous and refuses to allow him into their camp.
14. Why does Inman's progress begin to slow in the chapter, The Doing of It?
(a) Inman is injured, both from a wound to the head and the wound in his neck from the war battle.
(b) Inman has contracted an illness in his chest, is running a fever, and is delirious.
(c) Inman has begun to starve to death and the malnutrition is making him so sick he cannot walk very well.
(d) Inman is beginning to doubt his decision to walk away from his committment to the army and is considering returning.
15. Who comes to visit while Ada is at Black Cove alone in the chapter, A Satisfied Mind?
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Stobrod and his companions to become ill in the chapter Naught and Grief?
2. What does Inman dream about in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
3. What does Ruby instruct Ada to do while she is in town trading for beef?
4. How did this person get his nickname?
5. Who is Pangle?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)