|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ruby do with the trapped animal from the cornfield?
(a) Feeds him breakfast and threatens to shoot him if he steals from her again.
(b) Feeds him to the cows.
(c) Lets him go.
(d) Gives him supplies and directions.
2. Why does Sara ask Inman to share her bed?
(a) Sara misses her husband and needs to feel some human connection.
(b) Sara is a prostitute in need of money.
(c) Sara has no other place for Inman to sleep.
(d) Sara finds Inman attractive.
3. Why does Inman decide to attack the approaching group of men?
(a) Inman wants to surrender, but not to these men who will surely kill him and his companion.
(b) Inman is tired of running.
(c) Inman feels he has no choice, there is no reasoning or hiding from these men.
(d) Inman has seen Ada, so now he is ready to die.
4. What does the leader of these men order be done with Stobrod and Pangle after they get the answers they needed?
(a) He orders them shot.
(b) He orders them hung.
(c) He orders that they be allowed to go free.
(d) He orders them arrested.
5. Who tells Ruby and Ada about the shooting of Stobrod and Pangle?
(a) One of the outliers.
(b) The boy from Tennessee.
(c) The Georgia boy.
(d) One of the men who shot them.
6. What does Inman dream about in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
(a) That he has become a bear and is shot and skinned by hunters.
(b) That he has returned to Cold Mountain to find Ada married to another man.
(c) That he has been killed in battle.
(d) That he returns to Sara and becomes her husband.
7. Why does Sara agree to launder and mend Inman's clothes?
(a) In payment for him slaughtering her hog.
(b) In payment for farm work Inman agrees to do.
(c) In payment for repairs he agrees to do to her cabin.
(d) In payment for food Inman gives her.
8. What does Inman learn about this new person that leaves him feeling as though solitude might not be the answer?
(a) That solitude leads to insanity.
(b) That she risks death every time she does anything that could lead to injury.
(c) That solitude is boring.
(d) That she is lonesome and he would be too.
9. How did this person get his nickname?
(a) He was married to a woman named Inna.
(b) He once broke an expensive vase.
(c) He was nearly beaten to death with a short, straight piece of wood.
(d) He was expected to have been a girl.
10. What does Ruby find in the trap she set in the cornfield?
(a) Her father.
(b) A Federal.
(c) A raccoon.
(d) A squirrel.
11. What do Ruby and Ada allow the messenger to do as they leave?
(a) To take a few chickens when he leaves.
(b) To sleep in the house until they return.
(c) To sleep in the hayloft until dark.
(d) To take their horse to escape the area.
12. Who do Inman and his riding companion run into as they attempt to navigate the forest after leaving the abandoned village?
(a) The Federals.
(b) A Confederate army unit.
(c) The Home Guard.
(d) A group of marauders.
13. With whom does Inman leave the camp?
(b) Ruby and Stobrod.
(d) Ada and Ruby.
14. What does Inman read to Ada while she makes dinner after his arrival?
(a) A passage from the Bible.
(b) A passage from Bertram that is highly sexual.
(c) A letter he intended to send her.
(d) A passage from Balis's Greek translation.
15. What map does Inman follow on the next leg of his journey in the chapter, The Doing of It?
(a) A map given to him by Veasey.
(b) A map given to him by the yellow slave.
(c) A map given to him by the Federals.
(d) A map given to him by Lila.
Short Answer Questions
1. What noise attracts Inman to Ada and Ruby's camp?
2. What does Inman do to his companion's horse upon meeting up with another group of men?
3. What decision does Inman make about his outlier status?
4. Why has Inman begun to fast as he reaches Cold Mountain?
5. What do these men want to know about?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)