|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of animal does the new person Inman meets in the chapter, The Doing of It, raise?
2. How many people were originally in the grief stricken mother's family that Inman meets in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
3. What does Ada tell Inman about her relationship with Ruby?
(a) That Ruby is not a servant and will not take orders.
(b) That Ruby is her illegitimate sister.
(c) That Ruby is her child.
(d) That Ruby has become her lover.
4. What instrument does Ada and Ruby's guest play?
(a) A set of drums.
(b) A guitar.
(c) A banjo.
(d) A fiddle.
5. What do Ruby and Ada allow the messenger to do as they leave?
(a) To sleep in the hayloft until dark.
(b) To sleep in the house until they return.
(c) To take their horse to escape the area.
(d) To take a few chickens when he leaves.
6. How does Inman attempt to find Ada?
(a) He follows a map Swimmer gave him.
(b) He follows footsteps in the snow.
(c) He follows blood drops on the vegetation.
(d) He follows directions given to him at Black Cove.
7. What causes Stobrod and his companions to become ill in the chapter Naught and Grief?
(a) A dead doe they ate.
(b) Cherries they stole from a local orchard.
(c) Some spoiled vegetables Ruby gave them.
(d) The large amount of fruit they have been eating.
8. Who tells Ruby and Ada about the shooting of Stobrod and Pangle?
(a) One of the outliers.
(b) The boy from Tennessee.
(c) One of the men who shot them.
(d) The Georgia boy.
9. Who does Inman meet as he comes to the end of his map in the chapter, The Doing of It?
(a) An old hermit woman.
(b) A dedicated preacher.
(c) A band of gypsies.
(d) A war bride.
10. What causes one of these men to believe Stobrod and Pangle are holy men?
(a) Their Bibles.
(b) Their music.
(c) Their clothing.
(d) Their speeches.
11. What does Ruby send Ada out to get when Stobrod wakes them with his coughing in the middle of the night?
(a) Fresh fruit.
(b) Wild Turkeys.
12. Who do Inman and his riding companion run into as they attempt to navigate the forest after leaving the abandoned village?
(a) The Home Guard.
(b) A group of marauders.
(c) A Confederate army unit.
(d) The Federals.
13. Why does Sara ask Inman to share her bed?
(a) Sara finds Inman attractive.
(b) Sara is a prostitute in need of money.
(c) Sara misses her husband and needs to feel some human connection.
(d) Sara has no other place for Inman to sleep.
14. What does Inman discover as he stops to fill a canteen in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
(a) Two skeletons being ravaged by a bear.
(b) Three skeletons hanging from a tree.
(c) An Indian cairn.
(d) An abandoned wagon train.
15. Why does Inman decide to attack the approaching group of men?
(a) Inman is tired of running.
(b) Inman feels he has no choice, there is no reasoning or hiding from these men.
(c) Inman has seen Ada, so now he is ready to die.
(d) Inman wants to surrender, but not to these men who will surely kill him and his companion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do most Christians consider the fiddle, refer to it as?
2. Who comes to visit while Ada is at Black Cove alone in the chapter, A Satisfied Mind?
3. What memory of Ada does Inman share with Ada while they are alone in Ada's cabin?
4. What does Inman do to his companion's horse upon meeting up with another group of men?
5. Who rides up and begins asking Strobrod and Pangle questions?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)