|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Inman dream about in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
(a) That he has become a bear and is shot and skinned by hunters.
(b) That he has returned to Cold Mountain to find Ada married to another man.
(c) That he has been killed in battle.
(d) That he returns to Sara and becomes her husband.
2. What happens to the mother bear that is attempting to protect her cub from Inman?
(a) Inman is forced to kill her.
(b) She simply walks away, leaving her cub behind.
(c) She charges him and falls from a cliff.
(d) She is killed by a passing Indian.
3. What does Ruby send Ada out to get when Stobrod wakes them with his coughing in the middle of the night?
(a) Wild Turkeys.
(c) Fresh fruit.
4. What does Inman discover as he stops to fill a canteen in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
(a) Three skeletons hanging from a tree.
(b) An Indian cairn.
(c) Two skeletons being ravaged by a bear.
(d) An abandoned wagon train.
5. What causes Stobrod and his companions to become ill in the chapter Naught and Grief?
(a) A dead doe they ate.
(b) The large amount of fruit they have been eating.
(c) Cherries they stole from a local orchard.
(d) Some spoiled vegetables Ruby gave them.
6. What happens to the men who steal from Sara's home?
(a) They have an accident on their starved horses.
(b) They run into a band of Indians who scalp them.
(c) Inman kills them and retrieves Sara's belongings.
(d) Sara shoots them with her husband's riffle.
7. What is the first thing Inman does when he finally finds Ada?
8. Where do Ruby and Ada spend the night as they set out to find Stobrod and Pangle?
(a) At the home of a friend of Monroe's.
(b) In an abandoned barn.
(c) In a shelter Ruby knew as a child.
(d) In an old Indian village.
9. In the chapter, Naught and Grief, who has joined Stobrod and Pangle?
(a) A young Indian woman.
(b) Pangle's cousin.
(c) A young man from Tennessee.
(d) A young man from Georgia.
10. What do Ruby and Ada allow the messenger to do as they leave?
(a) To sleep in the house until they return.
(b) To take a few chickens when he leaves.
(c) To sleep in the hayloft until dark.
(d) To take their horse to escape the area.
11. What do most Christians consider the fiddle, refer to it as?
(a) The Devil's Instrument.
(b) The Devil's Box.
(c) The Devil's Guitar.
(d) The Devil's Playground.
12. What does Inman offer to do for a grief stricken mother in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
(a) Harvest her tabacco.
(b) Fix her leaky roof.
(c) Find her missing child.
(d) Bury her child.
13. Why does Inman decide to attack the approaching group of men?
(a) Inman wants to surrender, but not to these men who will surely kill him and his companion.
(b) Inman is tired of running.
(c) Inman feels he has no choice, there is no reasoning or hiding from these men.
(d) Inman has seen Ada, so now he is ready to die.
14. Why has Inman begun to fast as he reaches Cold Mountain?
(a) So he will die quickly if Ada refuses him.
(b) So he can enjoy a huge feast when he finds Ada.
(c) So he can cross the portal at Shining Rock if Ada refuses him.
(d) So he will be skinny and handsome for Ada.
15. What does Inman hope Ada's reaction will be when she sees him?
(a) Inman hopes Ada will have a great many stories to tell him.
(b) Inman hopes Ada will have a fresh meal waiting.
(c) Inman hopes Ada will joke with him.
(d) Inman hopes Ada will welcome him with open arms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Stobrod give for wanting to live at Black Cove?
2. What does Inman learn about this new person that leaves him feeling as though solitude might not be the answer?
3. Who do Inman and his riding companion run into as they attempt to navigate the forest after leaving the abandoned village?
4. What does Ada hear that causes her to return to Inman?
5. How did this person come to compose his own music?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)