|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing Inman does when he finally finds Ada?
2. What does Inman discover as he stops to fill a canteen in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
(a) An Indian cairn.
(b) Three skeletons hanging from a tree.
(c) Two skeletons being ravaged by a bear.
(d) An abandoned wagon train.
3. What causes Stobrod and his companions to become ill in the chapter Naught and Grief?
(a) The large amount of fruit they have been eating.
(b) A dead doe they ate.
(c) Cherries they stole from a local orchard.
(d) Some spoiled vegetables Ruby gave them.
4. Where do Ruby and Ada spend the night as they set out to find Stobrod and Pangle?
(a) In an old Indian village.
(b) In an abandoned barn.
(c) In a shelter Ruby knew as a child.
(d) At the home of a friend of Monroe's.
5. What causes one of these men to believe Stobrod and Pangle are holy men?
(a) Their music.
(b) Their speeches.
(c) Their clothing.
(d) Their Bibles.
6. Who joins Ada and Ruby for supper as they enjoy what will most likely be their final dinner outside that fall?
7. What does the leader of these men order be done with Stobrod and Pangle after they get the answers they needed?
(a) He orders them arrested.
(b) He orders them shot.
(c) He orders that they be allowed to go free.
(d) He orders them hung.
8. Why does Sara agree to launder and mend Inman's clothes?
(a) In payment for repairs he agrees to do to her cabin.
(b) In payment for food Inman gives her.
(c) In payment for him slaughtering her hog.
(d) In payment for farm work Inman agrees to do.
9. What reason does Stobrod give for wanting to live at Black Cove?
(a) The new leader of the deserters wants him to leave.
(b) The Home Guard will never think he is a deserter if he lives on a farm in the open.
(c) The new leader of the outliers, the deserters, wants them to rob rich slave owners.
(d) He wants to make amends to his daughter for her poor childhood.
10. How did this person get his nickname?
(a) He was married to a woman named Inna.
(b) He once broke an expensive vase.
(c) He was nearly beaten to death with a short, straight piece of wood.
(d) He was expected to have been a girl.
11. What memory of Ada does Inman share with Ada while they are alone in Ada's cabin?
(a) The day she apologized for ridiculing his stories.
(b) The afternoon they strolled by the river.
(c) The first time he saw her in church.
(d) The Christmas party where she sat in his lap.
12. How many people were originally in the grief stricken mother's family that Inman meets in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
13. In the chapter, Naught and Grief, who has joined Stobrod and Pangle?
(a) Pangle's cousin.
(b) A young man from Tennessee.
(c) A young Indian woman.
(d) A young man from Georgia.
14. Who comes to visit while Ada is at Black Cove alone in the chapter, A Satisfied Mind?
15. What does Ruby find in the trap she set in the cornfield?
(a) A raccoon.
(b) Her father.
(c) A squirrel.
(d) A Federal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who rides up and begins asking Strobrod and Pangle questions?
2. What do Ruby and Ada allow the messenger to do as they leave?
3. What decision does Inman make about his outlier status?
4. What happens to the men who steal from Sara's home?
5. Why does Sara ask Inman to share her bed?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)