|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ruby react to Inman's eventual arrival?
(a) Ruby is darkly jealous and refuses to allow him into their camp.
(b) Ruby is indifferent, except for a concern over the amount of food they must share with him.
(c) Ruby falls deeply in love and begins to flirt with Inman.
(d) Ruby insists Ada does not need a man.
2. What does Ada tell Inman about her relationship with Ruby?
(a) That Ruby is her illegitimate sister.
(b) That Ruby has become her lover.
(c) That Ruby is not a servant and will not take orders.
(d) That Ruby is her child.
3. Who comes to visit while Ada is at Black Cove alone in the chapter, A Satisfied Mind?
4. What does Inman do to his companion's horse upon meeting up with another group of men?
(a) Inman forces Ruby's horse to gallop toward the approaching men.
(b) Inman forces Stobrod's horse to gallop away.
(c) Inman forces Ruby's horse to gallop in the opposite direction.
(d) Inman forces Ada's horse to stop.
5. Who is Pangle?
(a) A gentle, child-like man and companion to Stobrod.
(b) A new cow Ruby brings home.
(c) Ruby's brother.
(d) Ada's cousin.
6. What instrument does Ada and Ruby's guest play?
(a) A fiddle.
(b) A set of drums.
(c) A guitar.
(d) A banjo.
7. What memory of Ada does Inman share with Ada while they are alone in Ada's cabin?
(a) The Christmas party where she sat in his lap.
(b) The day she apologized for ridiculing his stories.
(c) The afternoon they strolled by the river.
(d) The first time he saw her in church.
8. What does the leader of these men order be done with Stobrod and Pangle after they get the answers they needed?
(a) He orders them shot.
(b) He orders that they be allowed to go free.
(c) He orders them hung.
(d) He orders them arrested.
9. How do Ruby and Ada dress as they set out to find and bury the bodies of Stobrod and Pangle?
(a) In military uniforms.
(b) In party gowns to possibly confuse the killers.
(c) In the clothes of Ada's father.
(d) In Stobrod's clothing.
10. How did this person get his nickname?
(a) He once broke an expensive vase.
(b) He was married to a woman named Inna.
(c) He was nearly beaten to death with a short, straight piece of wood.
(d) He was expected to have been a girl.
11. In the chapter, A Satisfied Mind, what does Ruby take into town to trade for beef?
(a) Waldo, the cow.
(b) Ralph, the horse.
(c) Freshly made apple cider.
12. How does Inman attempt to find Ada?
(a) He follows blood drops on the vegetation.
(b) He follows footsteps in the snow.
(c) He follows directions given to him at Black Cove.
(d) He follows a map Swimmer gave him.
13. Who rides up and begins asking Strobrod and Pangle questions?
(a) An Indian scout.
(b) The Home Guard led by Teague.
(c) A Confederate scout.
(d) Some Federals.
14. What does Inman dream about in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
(a) That he returns to Sara and becomes her husband.
(b) That he has been killed in battle.
(c) That he has become a bear and is shot and skinned by hunters.
(d) That he has returned to Cold Mountain to find Ada married to another man.
15. What is taken from Sara's home during the visit by the men who come to Sara's while Inman is still asleep in her bed?
(b) All her money and valuable possessions.
(c) Three chickens and the hog.
(d) Her infant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Inman learn about this new person that leaves him feeling as though solitude might not be the answer?
2. How does this new person help Inman with his journey?
3. What do these men want to know about?
4. Who joins Ada and Ruby for supper as they enjoy what will most likely be their final dinner outside that fall?
5. What does Ruby instruct Ada to do while she is in town trading for beef?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)