|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did this person come to compose his own music?
(a) He was inspired by the death of the woman he loved.
(b) He was inspired by the death and destruction he witnessed in the war.
(c) He was inspired by his daughter.
(d) He was inspired by a dying girl he was paid to perform for.
2. Who does Inman meet as he comes to the end of his map in the chapter, The Doing of It?
(a) An old hermit woman.
(b) A band of gypsies.
(c) A war bride.
(d) A dedicated preacher.
3. What does Ada hear that causes her to return to Inman?
(a) A gun shot.
(b) The distinctive sound of Inman's gun.
(c) Stobrod's voice yelling for help.
(d) Inman's voice yelling for help.
4. What does Ruby find in the trap she set in the cornfield?
(a) A raccoon.
(b) Her father.
(c) A squirrel.
(d) A Federal.
5. How do Ruby and Ada dress as they set out to find and bury the bodies of Stobrod and Pangle?
(a) In Stobrod's clothing.
(b) In the clothes of Ada's father.
(c) In military uniforms.
(d) In party gowns to possibly confuse the killers.
6. What does Ruby do with the trapped animal from the cornfield?
(a) Feeds him breakfast and threatens to shoot him if he steals from her again.
(b) Feeds him to the cows.
(c) Gives him supplies and directions.
(d) Lets him go.
7. In the chapter, A Satisfied Mind, what does Ruby take into town to trade for beef?
(b) Ralph, the horse.
(c) Waldo, the cow.
(d) Freshly made apple cider.
8. What does Inman discover as he stops to fill a canteen in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
(a) An abandoned wagon train.
(b) An Indian cairn.
(c) Three skeletons hanging from a tree.
(d) Two skeletons being ravaged by a bear.
9. In the chapter, Naught and Grief, who has joined Stobrod and Pangle?
(a) Pangle's cousin.
(b) A young man from Georgia.
(c) A young man from Tennessee.
(d) A young Indian woman.
10. What do Ada and Inman discuss after sharing their feelings for one another?
(a) The dangers of the war.
(b) Inman's status as a fugitive.
(c) The death of Monroe.
(d) The future, specifically marriage and life at Black Cove.
11. What does the leader of these men order be done with Stobrod and Pangle after they get the answers they needed?
(a) He orders that they be allowed to go free.
(b) He orders them arrested.
(c) He orders them shot.
(d) He orders them hung.
12. What does Inman find when he eventually reaches Black Cove?
(a) The Georgia boy there alone.
(b) An abandoned farm.
(c) Veasey has reached it first.
13. What is taken from Sara's home during the visit by the men who come to Sara's while Inman is still asleep in her bed?
(a) Three chickens and the hog.
(b) Her infant.
(d) All her money and valuable possessions.
14. What noise attracts Inman to Ada and Ruby's camp?
(a) Ada's screams.
(b) Ruby's riffle.
(c) Ruby's yelling.
(d) Ada's shotgun shots.
15. How does Ruby react to Inman's eventual arrival?
(a) Ruby is darkly jealous and refuses to allow him into their camp.
(b) Ruby falls deeply in love and begins to flirt with Inman.
(c) Ruby insists Ada does not need a man.
(d) Ruby is indifferent, except for a concern over the amount of food they must share with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Inman attempt to find Ada?
2. Who tells Ruby and Ada about the shooting of Stobrod and Pangle?
3. What causes Stobrod and his companions to become ill in the chapter Naught and Grief?
4. What decision does Inman make about his outlier status?
5. How many people were originally in the grief stricken mother's family that Inman meets in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)