|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Pangle?
(a) Ruby's brother.
(b) A gentle, child-like man and companion to Stobrod.
(c) A new cow Ruby brings home.
(d) Ada's cousin.
2. Why does Sara ask Inman to share her bed?
(a) Sara finds Inman attractive.
(b) Sara has no other place for Inman to sleep.
(c) Sara misses her husband and needs to feel some human connection.
(d) Sara is a prostitute in need of money.
3. What does Inman find when he eventually reaches Black Cove?
(a) The Georgia boy there alone.
(c) An abandoned farm.
(d) Veasey has reached it first.
4. Who rides up and begins asking Strobrod and Pangle questions?
(a) A Confederate scout.
(b) The Home Guard led by Teague.
(c) Some Federals.
(d) An Indian scout.
5. What happens to the men who steal from Sara's home?
(a) Inman kills them and retrieves Sara's belongings.
(b) They run into a band of Indians who scalp them.
(c) Sara shoots them with her husband's riffle.
(d) They have an accident on their starved horses.
6. Who tells Ruby and Ada about the shooting of Stobrod and Pangle?
(a) One of the men who shot them.
(b) The boy from Tennessee.
(c) The Georgia boy.
(d) One of the outliers.
7. What does the leader of these men order be done with Stobrod and Pangle after they get the answers they needed?
(a) He orders that they be allowed to go free.
(b) He orders them shot.
(c) He orders them arrested.
(d) He orders them hung.
8. What is the first thing Inman does when he finally finds Ada?
9. What does Inman learn about this new person that leaves him feeling as though solitude might not be the answer?
(a) That solitude is boring.
(b) That she risks death every time she does anything that could lead to injury.
(c) That solitude leads to insanity.
(d) That she is lonesome and he would be too.
10. What is taken from Sara's home during the visit by the men who come to Sara's while Inman is still asleep in her bed?
(a) All her money and valuable possessions.
(b) Three chickens and the hog.
(d) Her infant.
11. What does Inman dream about in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
(a) That he returns to Sara and becomes her husband.
(b) That he has been killed in battle.
(c) That he has become a bear and is shot and skinned by hunters.
(d) That he has returned to Cold Mountain to find Ada married to another man.
12. What type of animal does the new person Inman meets in the chapter, The Doing of It, raise?
13. What decision does Inman make about his outlier status?
(a) Inman decides to go to the Federals and pledge allegiance to the Union.
(b) Inman decides to return to active duty.
(c) Inman decides to return to the hospital from which he escaped.
(d) Inman decides to continue to hide until the war is over.
14. What does Inman hope Ada's reaction will be when she sees him?
(a) Inman hopes Ada will welcome him with open arms.
(b) Inman hopes Ada will have a fresh meal waiting.
(c) Inman hopes Ada will have a great many stories to tell him.
(d) Inman hopes Ada will joke with him.
15. What does Ruby do with the trapped animal from the cornfield?
(a) Gives him supplies and directions.
(b) Lets him go.
(c) Feeds him to the cows.
(d) Feeds him breakfast and threatens to shoot him if he steals from her again.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the chapter, Naught and Grief, who has joined Stobrod and Pangle?
2. What do Ada and Inman discuss after sharing their feelings for one another?
3. What does Inman offer to do for a grief stricken mother in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
4. What noise attracts Inman to Ada and Ruby's camp?
5. Who does Inman meet as he comes to the end of his map in the chapter, The Doing of It?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)