|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Ada and Inman discuss after sharing their feelings for one another?
(a) The dangers of the war.
(b) The death of Monroe.
(c) The future, specifically marriage and life at Black Cove.
(d) Inman's status as a fugitive.
2. Who is Pangle?
(a) A gentle, child-like man and companion to Stobrod.
(b) Ada's cousin.
(c) Ruby's brother.
(d) A new cow Ruby brings home.
3. Who does Inman meet as he comes to the end of his map in the chapter, The Doing of It?
(a) An old hermit woman.
(b) A war bride.
(c) A dedicated preacher.
(d) A band of gypsies.
4. In the chapter, A Satisfied Mind, what does Ruby take into town to trade for beef?
(a) Ralph, the horse.
(b) Freshly made apple cider.
(c) Waldo, the cow.
5. What do Ruby and Ada allow the messenger to do as they leave?
(a) To sleep in the hayloft until dark.
(b) To sleep in the house until they return.
(c) To take their horse to escape the area.
(d) To take a few chickens when he leaves.
6. In the chapter, Naught and Grief, who has joined Stobrod and Pangle?
(a) Pangle's cousin.
(b) A young Indian woman.
(c) A young man from Tennessee.
(d) A young man from Georgia.
7. What noise attracts Inman to Ada and Ruby's camp?
(a) Ada's screams.
(b) Ruby's yelling.
(c) Ada's shotgun shots.
(d) Ruby's riffle.
8. Who joins Ada and Ruby for supper as they enjoy what will most likely be their final dinner outside that fall?
9. What do most Christians consider the fiddle, refer to it as?
(a) The Devil's Playground.
(b) The Devil's Guitar.
(c) The Devil's Box.
(d) The Devil's Instrument.
10. What does Inman hope Ada's reaction will be when she sees him?
(a) Inman hopes Ada will joke with him.
(b) Inman hopes Ada will welcome him with open arms.
(c) Inman hopes Ada will have a great many stories to tell him.
(d) Inman hopes Ada will have a fresh meal waiting.
11. What does Ruby instruct Ada to do while she is in town trading for beef?
(a) Build a scarecrow.
(b) Split logs and burn brush.
(c) Plow the fields.
(d) Milk the cow.
12. What does Ruby find in the trap she set in the cornfield?
(a) A squirrel.
(b) Her father.
(c) A Federal.
(d) A raccoon.
13. What do these men want to know about?
(a) What unit Stobrod and Pangle are with.
(b) The band of outliers robbing rich slavers.
(c) Where the nearest town is.
(d) Where Inman might be.
14. Why does Inman decide to attack the approaching group of men?
(a) Inman wants to surrender, but not to these men who will surely kill him and his companion.
(b) Inman is tired of running.
(c) Inman has seen Ada, so now he is ready to die.
(d) Inman feels he has no choice, there is no reasoning or hiding from these men.
15. How does this new person help Inman with his journey?
(a) She treats his wounds and gives him medication.
(b) She gives him a ride back to the military hospital.
(c) She nurses him through his illness.
(d) She feeds him a hearty meal that staves off starvation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sara agree to launder and mend Inman's clothes?
2. Why does Inman's progress begin to slow in the chapter, The Doing of It?
3. Where do Ada and Ruby go for the night as snow begins to threaten?
4. What does Inman find when he eventually reaches Black Cove?
5. What does Ada tell Inman about her relationship with Ruby?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)