|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Inman do to his companion's horse upon meeting up with another group of men?
(a) Inman forces Ruby's horse to gallop in the opposite direction.
(b) Inman forces Stobrod's horse to gallop away.
(c) Inman forces Ada's horse to stop.
(d) Inman forces Ruby's horse to gallop toward the approaching men.
2. What does Ada hear that causes her to return to Inman?
(a) Inman's voice yelling for help.
(b) The distinctive sound of Inman's gun.
(c) A gun shot.
(d) Stobrod's voice yelling for help.
3. Why does Sara agree to launder and mend Inman's clothes?
(a) In payment for him slaughtering her hog.
(b) In payment for farm work Inman agrees to do.
(c) In payment for food Inman gives her.
(d) In payment for repairs he agrees to do to her cabin.
4. What memory of Ada does Inman share with Ada while they are alone in Ada's cabin?
(a) The day she apologized for ridiculing his stories.
(b) The Christmas party where she sat in his lap.
(c) The afternoon they strolled by the river.
(d) The first time he saw her in church.
5. Who comes to visit while Ada is at Black Cove alone in the chapter, A Satisfied Mind?
6. With whom does Inman leave the camp?
(b) Ada and Ruby.
(d) Ruby and Stobrod.
7. What happens to the mother bear that is attempting to protect her cub from Inman?
(a) She simply walks away, leaving her cub behind.
(b) She is killed by a passing Indian.
(c) Inman is forced to kill her.
(d) She charges him and falls from a cliff.
8. What does Inman find when he eventually reaches Black Cove?
(a) Veasey has reached it first.
(c) An abandoned farm.
(d) The Georgia boy there alone.
9. What map does Inman follow on the next leg of his journey in the chapter, The Doing of It?
(a) A map given to him by Lila.
(b) A map given to him by the yellow slave.
(c) A map given to him by the Federals.
(d) A map given to him by Veasey.
10. What does Inman read to Ada while she makes dinner after his arrival?
(a) A letter he intended to send her.
(b) A passage from Balis's Greek translation.
(c) A passage from Bertram that is highly sexual.
(d) A passage from the Bible.
11. Why does Inman's progress begin to slow in the chapter, The Doing of It?
(a) Inman has begun to starve to death and the malnutrition is making him so sick he cannot walk very well.
(b) Inman is beginning to doubt his decision to walk away from his committment to the army and is considering returning.
(c) Inman has contracted an illness in his chest, is running a fever, and is delirious.
(d) Inman is injured, both from a wound to the head and the wound in his neck from the war battle.
12. What is the first thing Inman does when he finally finds Ada?
13. What causes one of these men to believe Stobrod and Pangle are holy men?
(a) Their speeches.
(b) Their music.
(c) Their clothing.
(d) Their Bibles.
14. What does Inman offer to do for a grief stricken mother in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
(a) Harvest her tabacco.
(b) Find her missing child.
(c) Bury her child.
(d) Fix her leaky roof.
15. What does Inman discover as he stops to fill a canteen in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
(a) An abandoned wagon train.
(b) Two skeletons being ravaged by a bear.
(c) An Indian cairn.
(d) Three skeletons hanging from a tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to Sara's house the next morning after she and Inman share a bed?
2. How do Ruby and Ada dress as they set out to find and bury the bodies of Stobrod and Pangle?
3. What does Ruby instruct Ada to do while she is in town trading for beef?
4. What does Ruby send Ada out to get when Stobrod wakes them with his coughing in the middle of the night?
5. Who does Inman meet as he comes to the end of his map in the chapter, The Doing of It?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)