|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does this new person help Inman with his journey?
(a) She gives him a ride back to the military hospital.
(b) She nurses him through his illness.
(c) She feeds him a hearty meal that staves off starvation.
(d) She treats his wounds and gives him medication.
2. Who does Inman meet as he comes to the end of his map in the chapter, The Doing of It?
(a) An old hermit woman.
(b) A dedicated preacher.
(c) A band of gypsies.
(d) A war bride.
3. What happens to the mother bear that is attempting to protect her cub from Inman?
(a) She simply walks away, leaving her cub behind.
(b) Inman is forced to kill her.
(c) She is killed by a passing Indian.
(d) She charges him and falls from a cliff.
4. What reason does Stobrod give for wanting to live at Black Cove?
(a) The new leader of the deserters wants him to leave.
(b) The new leader of the outliers, the deserters, wants them to rob rich slave owners.
(c) He wants to make amends to his daughter for her poor childhood.
(d) The Home Guard will never think he is a deserter if he lives on a farm in the open.
5. Why does Inman's progress begin to slow in the chapter, The Doing of It?
(a) Inman is beginning to doubt his decision to walk away from his committment to the army and is considering returning.
(b) Inman has contracted an illness in his chest, is running a fever, and is delirious.
(c) Inman is injured, both from a wound to the head and the wound in his neck from the war battle.
(d) Inman has begun to starve to death and the malnutrition is making him so sick he cannot walk very well.
6. What does Ruby send Ada out to get when Stobrod wakes them with his coughing in the middle of the night?
(a) Fresh fruit.
(d) Wild Turkeys.
7. What does Inman do to his companion's horse upon meeting up with another group of men?
(a) Inman forces Ada's horse to stop.
(b) Inman forces Ruby's horse to gallop in the opposite direction.
(c) Inman forces Stobrod's horse to gallop away.
(d) Inman forces Ruby's horse to gallop toward the approaching men.
8. Why does Sara ask Inman to share her bed?
(a) Sara has no other place for Inman to sleep.
(b) Sara finds Inman attractive.
(c) Sara is a prostitute in need of money.
(d) Sara misses her husband and needs to feel some human connection.
9. What causes Stobrod and his companions to become ill in the chapter Naught and Grief?
(a) The large amount of fruit they have been eating.
(b) Cherries they stole from a local orchard.
(c) A dead doe they ate.
(d) Some spoiled vegetables Ruby gave them.
10. Who comes to Sara's house the next morning after she and Inman share a bed?
(a) Three Federals.
(b) The local Home Guard.
(c) Several injured Confederates.
(d) The local law.
11. What does Ruby find in the trap she set in the cornfield?
(a) A squirrel.
(b) Her father.
(c) A Federal.
(d) A raccoon.
12. What does the leader of these men order be done with Stobrod and Pangle after they get the answers they needed?
(a) He orders that they be allowed to go free.
(b) He orders them hung.
(c) He orders them shot.
(d) He orders them arrested.
13. What do most Christians consider the fiddle, refer to it as?
(a) The Devil's Guitar.
(b) The Devil's Box.
(c) The Devil's Instrument.
(d) The Devil's Playground.
14. What does Inman offer to do for a grief stricken mother in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
(a) Fix her leaky roof.
(b) Bury her child.
(c) Harvest her tabacco.
(d) Find her missing child.
15. How does Inman attempt to find Ada?
(a) He follows a map Swimmer gave him.
(b) He follows footsteps in the snow.
(c) He follows directions given to him at Black Cove.
(d) He follows blood drops on the vegetation.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people were originally in the grief stricken mother's family that Inman meets in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
2. What noise attracts Inman to Ada and Ruby's camp?
3. What wish does Inman make when he lies down to sleep in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
4. What does Inman dream about in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
5. What causes one of these men to believe Stobrod and Pangle are holy men?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)