|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the mother bear that is attempting to protect her cub from Inman?
(a) Inman is forced to kill her.
(b) She simply walks away, leaving her cub behind.
(c) She is killed by a passing Indian.
(d) She charges him and falls from a cliff.
2. What does Ruby do with the trapped animal from the cornfield?
(a) Feeds him breakfast and threatens to shoot him if he steals from her again.
(b) Feeds him to the cows.
(c) Gives him supplies and directions.
(d) Lets him go.
3. How do Ruby and Ada dress as they set out to find and bury the bodies of Stobrod and Pangle?
(a) In Stobrod's clothing.
(b) In military uniforms.
(c) In the clothes of Ada's father.
(d) In party gowns to possibly confuse the killers.
4. How did this person come to compose his own music?
(a) He was inspired by the death and destruction he witnessed in the war.
(b) He was inspired by the death of the woman he loved.
(c) He was inspired by his daughter.
(d) He was inspired by a dying girl he was paid to perform for.
5. What memory of Ada does Inman share with Ada while they are alone in Ada's cabin?
(a) The first time he saw her in church.
(b) The Christmas party where she sat in his lap.
(c) The day she apologized for ridiculing his stories.
(d) The afternoon they strolled by the river.
6. What does Inman learn about this new person that leaves him feeling as though solitude might not be the answer?
(a) That she is lonesome and he would be too.
(b) That she risks death every time she does anything that could lead to injury.
(c) That solitude is boring.
(d) That solitude leads to insanity.
7. Why does Inman decide to attack the approaching group of men?
(a) Inman feels he has no choice, there is no reasoning or hiding from these men.
(b) Inman wants to surrender, but not to these men who will surely kill him and his companion.
(c) Inman is tired of running.
(d) Inman has seen Ada, so now he is ready to die.
8. What does Inman read to Ada while she makes dinner after his arrival?
(a) A passage from Bertram that is highly sexual.
(b) A passage from the Bible.
(c) A passage from Balis's Greek translation.
(d) A letter he intended to send her.
9. What does Ruby find in the trap she set in the cornfield?
(a) A squirrel.
(b) A Federal.
(c) A raccoon.
(d) Her father.
10. What does Inman do to his companion's horse upon meeting up with another group of men?
(a) Inman forces Ruby's horse to gallop in the opposite direction.
(b) Inman forces Stobrod's horse to gallop away.
(c) Inman forces Ruby's horse to gallop toward the approaching men.
(d) Inman forces Ada's horse to stop.
11. Why does Inman's progress begin to slow in the chapter, The Doing of It?
(a) Inman has begun to starve to death and the malnutrition is making him so sick he cannot walk very well.
(b) Inman is beginning to doubt his decision to walk away from his committment to the army and is considering returning.
(c) Inman has contracted an illness in his chest, is running a fever, and is delirious.
(d) Inman is injured, both from a wound to the head and the wound in his neck from the war battle.
12. Who joins Ada and Ruby for supper as they enjoy what will most likely be their final dinner outside that fall?
13. In the chapter, A Satisfied Mind, what does Ruby take into town to trade for beef?
(b) Waldo, the cow.
(c) Freshly made apple cider.
(d) Ralph, the horse.
14. What do most Christians consider the fiddle, refer to it as?
(a) The Devil's Guitar.
(b) The Devil's Box.
(c) The Devil's Playground.
(d) The Devil's Instrument.
15. What does Ada hear that causes her to return to Inman?
(a) The distinctive sound of Inman's gun.
(b) Inman's voice yelling for help.
(c) Stobrod's voice yelling for help.
(d) A gun shot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sara, a woman Inman meets in the chapter, Bride Bed Full of Blood?
2. What does Inman dream about in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
3. Who does Inman meet as he comes to the end of his map in the chapter, The Doing of It?
4. Who rides up and begins asking Strobrod and Pangle questions?
5. What does Ada tell Inman about her relationship with Ruby?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)