|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ruby find in the trap she set in the cornfield?
(a) A raccoon.
(b) Her father.
(c) A Federal.
(d) A squirrel.
2. What does Ruby send Ada out to get when Stobrod wakes them with his coughing in the middle of the night?
(c) Fresh fruit.
(d) Wild Turkeys.
3. What does Inman read to Ada while she makes dinner after his arrival?
(a) A passage from Balis's Greek translation.
(b) A passage from Bertram that is highly sexual.
(c) A letter he intended to send her.
(d) A passage from the Bible.
4. Who rides up and begins asking Strobrod and Pangle questions?
(a) Some Federals.
(b) A Confederate scout.
(c) The Home Guard led by Teague.
(d) An Indian scout.
5. What does the leader of these men order be done with Stobrod and Pangle after they get the answers they needed?
(a) He orders them hung.
(b) He orders that they be allowed to go free.
(c) He orders them arrested.
(d) He orders them shot.
6. What do most Christians consider the fiddle, refer to it as?
(a) The Devil's Guitar.
(b) The Devil's Instrument.
(c) The Devil's Box.
(d) The Devil's Playground.
7. What do these men want to know about?
(a) The band of outliers robbing rich slavers.
(b) Where Inman might be.
(c) Where the nearest town is.
(d) What unit Stobrod and Pangle are with.
8. What does Inman find when he eventually reaches Black Cove?
(a) Veasey has reached it first.
(b) The Georgia boy there alone.
(d) An abandoned farm.
9. What does Ada tell Inman about her relationship with Ruby?
(a) That Ruby is her illegitimate sister.
(b) That Ruby is her child.
(c) That Ruby is not a servant and will not take orders.
(d) That Ruby has become her lover.
10. How many people were originally in the grief stricken mother's family that Inman meets in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
11. Who comes to Sara's house the next morning after she and Inman share a bed?
(a) Three Federals.
(b) The local Home Guard.
(c) Several injured Confederates.
(d) The local law.
12. What reason does Stobrod give for wanting to live at Black Cove?
(a) The new leader of the outliers, the deserters, wants them to rob rich slave owners.
(b) The Home Guard will never think he is a deserter if he lives on a farm in the open.
(c) He wants to make amends to his daughter for her poor childhood.
(d) The new leader of the deserters wants him to leave.
13. What do Ruby and Ada allow the messenger to do as they leave?
(a) To take a few chickens when he leaves.
(b) To take their horse to escape the area.
(c) To sleep in the house until they return.
(d) To sleep in the hayloft until dark.
14. How does this new person help Inman with his journey?
(a) She nurses him through his illness.
(b) She treats his wounds and gives him medication.
(c) She gives him a ride back to the military hospital.
(d) She feeds him a hearty meal that staves off starvation.
15. What do Ruby and Ada find when they arrive at Stobrod's camp?
(a) Neither Stobrod or Pangle.
(b) Stobrod dead, but Pangle still alive.
(c) Pangle dead, but Stobrod still alive.
(d) Both Stobrod and Pangle dead where they were shot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes one of these men to believe Stobrod and Pangle are holy men?
2. What does Inman discover as he stops to fill a canteen in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
3. Who comes to visit while Ada is at Black Cove alone in the chapter, A Satisfied Mind?
4. How do Ruby and Ada dress as they set out to find and bury the bodies of Stobrod and Pangle?
5. In the chapter, A Satisfied Mind, what does Ruby take into town to trade for beef?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)