|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Pangle?
(a) Ruby's brother.
(b) A gentle, child-like man and companion to Stobrod.
(c) A new cow Ruby brings home.
(d) Ada's cousin.
2. Who rides up and begins asking Strobrod and Pangle questions?
(a) An Indian scout.
(b) Some Federals.
(c) The Home Guard led by Teague.
(d) A Confederate scout.
3. Who joins Ada and Ruby for supper as they enjoy what will most likely be their final dinner outside that fall?
4. What type of animal does the new person Inman meets in the chapter, The Doing of It, raise?
5. What does Ruby instruct Ada to do while she is in town trading for beef?
(a) Build a scarecrow.
(b) Plow the fields.
(c) Milk the cow.
(d) Split logs and burn brush.
6. What do Ruby and Ada allow the messenger to do as they leave?
(a) To sleep in the house until they return.
(b) To take a few chickens when he leaves.
(c) To take their horse to escape the area.
(d) To sleep in the hayloft until dark.
7. What memory of Ada does Inman share with Ada while they are alone in Ada's cabin?
(a) The first time he saw her in church.
(b) The afternoon they strolled by the river.
(c) The Christmas party where she sat in his lap.
(d) The day she apologized for ridiculing his stories.
8. How does Inman attempt to find Ada?
(a) He follows a map Swimmer gave him.
(b) He follows directions given to him at Black Cove.
(c) He follows blood drops on the vegetation.
(d) He follows footsteps in the snow.
9. Where do Ada and Ruby go for the night as snow begins to threaten?
(a) To a village abandoned by the Trail of Tears.
(b) To an abandoned barn.
(c) To an abandoned Indian cave.
(d) To the same shelter they used the night before.
10. What happens to the mother bear that is attempting to protect her cub from Inman?
(a) She simply walks away, leaving her cub behind.
(b) She charges him and falls from a cliff.
(c) Inman is forced to kill her.
(d) She is killed by a passing Indian.
11. In the chapter, Naught and Grief, who has joined Stobrod and Pangle?
(a) A young man from Tennessee.
(b) A young Indian woman.
(c) A young man from Georgia.
(d) Pangle's cousin.
12. How do Ruby and Ada dress as they set out to find and bury the bodies of Stobrod and Pangle?
(a) In Stobrod's clothing.
(b) In party gowns to possibly confuse the killers.
(c) In the clothes of Ada's father.
(d) In military uniforms.
13. What does Inman dream about in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
(a) That he returns to Sara and becomes her husband.
(b) That he has become a bear and is shot and skinned by hunters.
(c) That he has returned to Cold Mountain to find Ada married to another man.
(d) That he has been killed in battle.
14. What reason does Stobrod give for wanting to live at Black Cove?
(a) He wants to make amends to his daughter for her poor childhood.
(b) The new leader of the outliers, the deserters, wants them to rob rich slave owners.
(c) The Home Guard will never think he is a deserter if he lives on a farm in the open.
(d) The new leader of the deserters wants him to leave.
15. What causes one of these men to believe Stobrod and Pangle are holy men?
(a) Their Bibles.
(b) Their clothing.
(c) Their music.
(d) Their speeches.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to visit while Ada is at Black Cove alone in the chapter, A Satisfied Mind?
2. What does Ruby do with the trapped animal from the cornfield?
3. What does Inman find when he eventually reaches Black Cove?
4. What do Ruby and Ada find when they arrive at Stobrod's camp?
5. Who do Inman and his riding companion run into as they attempt to navigate the forest after leaving the abandoned village?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)