|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Inman's progress begin to slow in the chapter, The Doing of It?
(a) Inman has begun to starve to death and the malnutrition is making him so sick he cannot walk very well.
(b) Inman is injured, both from a wound to the head and the wound in his neck from the war battle.
(c) Inman has contracted an illness in his chest, is running a fever, and is delirious.
(d) Inman is beginning to doubt his decision to walk away from his committment to the army and is considering returning.
2. What type of animal does the new person Inman meets in the chapter, The Doing of It, raise?
3. What happens to the mother bear that is attempting to protect her cub from Inman?
(a) She is killed by a passing Indian.
(b) She charges him and falls from a cliff.
(c) She simply walks away, leaving her cub behind.
(d) Inman is forced to kill her.
4. What map does Inman follow on the next leg of his journey in the chapter, The Doing of It?
(a) A map given to him by Lila.
(b) A map given to him by the yellow slave.
(c) A map given to him by Veasey.
(d) A map given to him by the Federals.
5. What do most Christians consider the fiddle, refer to it as?
(a) The Devil's Instrument.
(b) The Devil's Box.
(c) The Devil's Guitar.
(d) The Devil's Playground.
6. Who comes to visit while Ada is at Black Cove alone in the chapter, A Satisfied Mind?
7. What does Ruby instruct Ada to do while she is in town trading for beef?
(a) Split logs and burn brush.
(b) Build a scarecrow.
(c) Plow the fields.
(d) Milk the cow.
8. In the chapter, A Satisfied Mind, what does Ruby take into town to trade for beef?
(b) Ralph, the horse.
(c) Waldo, the cow.
(d) Freshly made apple cider.
9. How does Ruby react to Inman's eventual arrival?
(a) Ruby is indifferent, except for a concern over the amount of food they must share with him.
(b) Ruby insists Ada does not need a man.
(c) Ruby is darkly jealous and refuses to allow him into their camp.
(d) Ruby falls deeply in love and begins to flirt with Inman.
10. What memory of Ada does Inman share with Ada while they are alone in Ada's cabin?
(a) The Christmas party where she sat in his lap.
(b) The day she apologized for ridiculing his stories.
(c) The first time he saw her in church.
(d) The afternoon they strolled by the river.
11. How many people were originally in the grief stricken mother's family that Inman meets in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
12. Who tells Ruby and Ada about the shooting of Stobrod and Pangle?
(a) One of the men who shot them.
(b) One of the outliers.
(c) The Georgia boy.
(d) The boy from Tennessee.
13. What happens to the men who steal from Sara's home?
(a) Sara shoots them with her husband's riffle.
(b) They run into a band of Indians who scalp them.
(c) Inman kills them and retrieves Sara's belongings.
(d) They have an accident on their starved horses.
14. Where do Ruby and Ada spend the night as they set out to find Stobrod and Pangle?
(a) At the home of a friend of Monroe's.
(b) In a shelter Ruby knew as a child.
(c) In an abandoned barn.
(d) In an old Indian village.
15. Who does Inman meet as he comes to the end of his map in the chapter, The Doing of It?
(a) A band of gypsies.
(b) An old hermit woman.
(c) A war bride.
(d) A dedicated preacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes one of these men to believe Stobrod and Pangle are holy men?
2. What do Ada and Inman discuss after sharing their feelings for one another?
3. Where do Ada and Ruby go for the night as snow begins to threaten?
4. Why does Inman decide to attack the approaching group of men?
5. Who do Inman and his riding companion run into as they attempt to navigate the forest after leaving the abandoned village?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)