|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Inman discover as he stops to fill a canteen in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
(a) Two skeletons being ravaged by a bear.
(b) An abandoned wagon train.
(c) Three skeletons hanging from a tree.
(d) An Indian cairn.
2. What is taken from Sara's home during the visit by the men who come to Sara's while Inman is still asleep in her bed?
(a) All her money and valuable possessions.
(b) Three chickens and the hog.
(d) Her infant.
3. How does Inman attempt to find Ada?
(a) He follows blood drops on the vegetation.
(b) He follows directions given to him at Black Cove.
(c) He follows footsteps in the snow.
(d) He follows a map Swimmer gave him.
4. What does Inman do to his companion's horse upon meeting up with another group of men?
(a) Inman forces Ruby's horse to gallop toward the approaching men.
(b) Inman forces Ada's horse to stop.
(c) Inman forces Ruby's horse to gallop in the opposite direction.
(d) Inman forces Stobrod's horse to gallop away.
5. What does the leader of these men order be done with Stobrod and Pangle after they get the answers they needed?
(a) He orders them arrested.
(b) He orders that they be allowed to go free.
(c) He orders them shot.
(d) He orders them hung.
6. How did this person come to compose his own music?
(a) He was inspired by the death and destruction he witnessed in the war.
(b) He was inspired by the death of the woman he loved.
(c) He was inspired by his daughter.
(d) He was inspired by a dying girl he was paid to perform for.
7. What type of animal does the new person Inman meets in the chapter, The Doing of It, raise?
8. In the chapter, Naught and Grief, who has joined Stobrod and Pangle?
(a) A young Indian woman.
(b) A young man from Georgia.
(c) Pangle's cousin.
(d) A young man from Tennessee.
9. What happens to the men who steal from Sara's home?
(a) They have an accident on their starved horses.
(b) They run into a band of Indians who scalp them.
(c) Sara shoots them with her husband's riffle.
(d) Inman kills them and retrieves Sara's belongings.
10. What reason does Stobrod give for wanting to live at Black Cove?
(a) The new leader of the deserters wants him to leave.
(b) He wants to make amends to his daughter for her poor childhood.
(c) The new leader of the outliers, the deserters, wants them to rob rich slave owners.
(d) The Home Guard will never think he is a deserter if he lives on a farm in the open.
11. Who tells Ruby and Ada about the shooting of Stobrod and Pangle?
(a) One of the men who shot them.
(b) One of the outliers.
(c) The boy from Tennessee.
(d) The Georgia boy.
12. What do these men want to know about?
(a) The band of outliers robbing rich slavers.
(b) What unit Stobrod and Pangle are with.
(c) Where the nearest town is.
(d) Where Inman might be.
13. How many people were originally in the grief stricken mother's family that Inman meets in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
14. What do most Christians consider the fiddle, refer to it as?
(a) The Devil's Playground.
(b) The Devil's Guitar.
(c) The Devil's Box.
(d) The Devil's Instrument.
15. What noise attracts Inman to Ada and Ruby's camp?
(a) Ada's screams.
(b) Ruby's riffle.
(c) Ada's shotgun shots.
(d) Ruby's yelling.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to visit while Ada is at Black Cove alone in the chapter, A Satisfied Mind?
2. What wish does Inman make when he lies down to sleep in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
3. Who do Inman and his riding companion run into as they attempt to navigate the forest after leaving the abandoned village?
4. Who is Pangle?
5. How did this person get his nickname?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)