|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What map does Inman follow on the next leg of his journey in the chapter, The Doing of It?
(a) A map given to him by Veasey.
(b) A map given to him by Lila.
(c) A map given to him by the Federals.
(d) A map given to him by the yellow slave.
2. What do Ruby and Ada allow the messenger to do as they leave?
(a) To take their horse to escape the area.
(b) To take a few chickens when he leaves.
(c) To sleep in the hayloft until dark.
(d) To sleep in the house until they return.
3. What do Ruby and Ada find when they arrive at Stobrod's camp?
(a) Pangle dead, but Stobrod still alive.
(b) Neither Stobrod or Pangle.
(c) Both Stobrod and Pangle dead where they were shot.
(d) Stobrod dead, but Pangle still alive.
4. What does Inman offer to do for a grief stricken mother in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
(a) Find her missing child.
(b) Fix her leaky roof.
(c) Bury her child.
(d) Harvest her tabacco.
5. What does Ruby instruct Ada to do while she is in town trading for beef?
(a) Milk the cow.
(b) Split logs and burn brush.
(c) Build a scarecrow.
(d) Plow the fields.
6. What does Inman hope Ada's reaction will be when she sees him?
(a) Inman hopes Ada will have a fresh meal waiting.
(b) Inman hopes Ada will joke with him.
(c) Inman hopes Ada will have a great many stories to tell him.
(d) Inman hopes Ada will welcome him with open arms.
7. Who comes to Sara's house the next morning after she and Inman share a bed?
(a) The local Home Guard.
(b) Three Federals.
(c) The local law.
(d) Several injured Confederates.
8. What happens to the mother bear that is attempting to protect her cub from Inman?
(a) She charges him and falls from a cliff.
(b) Inman is forced to kill her.
(c) She simply walks away, leaving her cub behind.
(d) She is killed by a passing Indian.
9. What is the first thing Inman does when he finally finds Ada?
10. What causes Stobrod and his companions to become ill in the chapter Naught and Grief?
(a) Some spoiled vegetables Ruby gave them.
(b) The large amount of fruit they have been eating.
(c) Cherries they stole from a local orchard.
(d) A dead doe they ate.
11. Who rides up and begins asking Strobrod and Pangle questions?
(a) An Indian scout.
(b) The Home Guard led by Teague.
(c) A Confederate scout.
(d) Some Federals.
12. What does Ada tell Inman about her relationship with Ruby?
(a) That Ruby has become her lover.
(b) That Ruby is not a servant and will not take orders.
(c) That Ruby is her illegitimate sister.
(d) That Ruby is her child.
13. What does the leader of these men order be done with Stobrod and Pangle after they get the answers they needed?
(a) He orders them arrested.
(b) He orders them shot.
(c) He orders that they be allowed to go free.
(d) He orders them hung.
14. Who tells Ruby and Ada about the shooting of Stobrod and Pangle?
(a) One of the men who shot them.
(b) The Georgia boy.
(c) The boy from Tennessee.
(d) One of the outliers.
15. What does Inman dream about in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
(a) That he returns to Sara and becomes her husband.
(b) That he has been killed in battle.
(c) That he has returned to Cold Mountain to find Ada married to another man.
(d) That he has become a bear and is shot and skinned by hunters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Inman learn about this new person that leaves him feeling as though solitude might not be the answer?
2. Why has Inman begun to fast as he reaches Cold Mountain?
3. What is taken from Sara's home during the visit by the men who come to Sara's while Inman is still asleep in her bed?
4. How do Ruby and Ada dress as they set out to find and bury the bodies of Stobrod and Pangle?
5. What reason does Stobrod give for wanting to live at Black Cove?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)