|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Inman attempt to find Ada?
(a) He follows directions given to him at Black Cove.
(b) He follows a map Swimmer gave him.
(c) He follows blood drops on the vegetation.
(d) He follows footsteps in the snow.
2. What does Inman read to Ada while she makes dinner after his arrival?
(a) A letter he intended to send her.
(b) A passage from Bertram that is highly sexual.
(c) A passage from Balis's Greek translation.
(d) A passage from the Bible.
3. Why does Inman's progress begin to slow in the chapter, The Doing of It?
(a) Inman has contracted an illness in his chest, is running a fever, and is delirious.
(b) Inman is injured, both from a wound to the head and the wound in his neck from the war battle.
(c) Inman is beginning to doubt his decision to walk away from his committment to the army and is considering returning.
(d) Inman has begun to starve to death and the malnutrition is making him so sick he cannot walk very well.
4. What do Ruby and Ada allow the messenger to do as they leave?
(a) To sleep in the hayloft until dark.
(b) To take their horse to escape the area.
(c) To sleep in the house until they return.
(d) To take a few chickens when he leaves.
5. What noise attracts Inman to Ada and Ruby's camp?
(a) Ada's shotgun shots.
(b) Ruby's riffle.
(c) Ruby's yelling.
(d) Ada's screams.
6. In the chapter, Naught and Grief, who has joined Stobrod and Pangle?
(a) Pangle's cousin.
(b) A young Indian woman.
(c) A young man from Georgia.
(d) A young man from Tennessee.
7. Who comes to visit while Ada is at Black Cove alone in the chapter, A Satisfied Mind?
8. What does Inman dream about in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
(a) That he has returned to Cold Mountain to find Ada married to another man.
(b) That he has become a bear and is shot and skinned by hunters.
(c) That he has been killed in battle.
(d) That he returns to Sara and becomes her husband.
9. Why does Sara agree to launder and mend Inman's clothes?
(a) In payment for repairs he agrees to do to her cabin.
(b) In payment for him slaughtering her hog.
(c) In payment for farm work Inman agrees to do.
(d) In payment for food Inman gives her.
10. Where do Ada and Ruby go for the night as snow begins to threaten?
(a) To a village abandoned by the Trail of Tears.
(b) To an abandoned Indian cave.
(c) To the same shelter they used the night before.
(d) To an abandoned barn.
11. What type of animal does the new person Inman meets in the chapter, The Doing of It, raise?
12. Who is Sara, a woman Inman meets in the chapter, Bride Bed Full of Blood?
(a) A hermit woman.
(b) The defiled companion of a preacher.
(c) An old girlfriend of Veasey's.
(d) A war widow.
13. How did this person get his nickname?
(a) He was married to a woman named Inna.
(b) He once broke an expensive vase.
(c) He was expected to have been a girl.
(d) He was nearly beaten to death with a short, straight piece of wood.
14. What does Inman offer to do for a grief stricken mother in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
(a) Find her missing child.
(b) Harvest her tabacco.
(c) Bury her child.
(d) Fix her leaky roof.
15. What do Ruby and Ada find when they arrive at Stobrod's camp?
(a) Stobrod dead, but Pangle still alive.
(b) Pangle dead, but Stobrod still alive.
(c) Neither Stobrod or Pangle.
(d) Both Stobrod and Pangle dead where they were shot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What instrument does Ada and Ruby's guest play?
2. Who comes to Sara's house the next morning after she and Inman share a bed?
3. What do these men want to know about?
4. Why does Sara ask Inman to share her bed?
5. What memory of Ada does Inman share with Ada while they are alone in Ada's cabin?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)