|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Inman hope Ada's reaction will be when she sees him?
(a) Inman hopes Ada will have a fresh meal waiting.
(b) Inman hopes Ada will welcome him with open arms.
(c) Inman hopes Ada will joke with him.
(d) Inman hopes Ada will have a great many stories to tell him.
2. What does Inman do to his companion's horse upon meeting up with another group of men?
(a) Inman forces Ruby's horse to gallop in the opposite direction.
(b) Inman forces Stobrod's horse to gallop away.
(c) Inman forces Ada's horse to stop.
(d) Inman forces Ruby's horse to gallop toward the approaching men.
3. Who does Inman meet as he comes to the end of his map in the chapter, The Doing of It?
(a) A war bride.
(b) An old hermit woman.
(c) A dedicated preacher.
(d) A band of gypsies.
4. What does Inman dream about in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
(a) That he has become a bear and is shot and skinned by hunters.
(b) That he returns to Sara and becomes her husband.
(c) That he has been killed in battle.
(d) That he has returned to Cold Mountain to find Ada married to another man.
5. What does Ada tell Inman about her relationship with Ruby?
(a) That Ruby is her illegitimate sister.
(b) That Ruby is her child.
(c) That Ruby has become her lover.
(d) That Ruby is not a servant and will not take orders.
6. What does Ruby send Ada out to get when Stobrod wakes them with his coughing in the middle of the night?
(a) Wild Turkeys.
(c) Fresh fruit.
7. In the chapter, A Satisfied Mind, what does Ruby take into town to trade for beef?
(a) Waldo, the cow.
(b) Freshly made apple cider.
(d) Ralph, the horse.
8. What decision does Inman make about his outlier status?
(a) Inman decides to go to the Federals and pledge allegiance to the Union.
(b) Inman decides to return to the hospital from which he escaped.
(c) Inman decides to continue to hide until the war is over.
(d) Inman decides to return to active duty.
9. Who tells Ruby and Ada about the shooting of Stobrod and Pangle?
(a) One of the men who shot them.
(b) The boy from Tennessee.
(c) The Georgia boy.
(d) One of the outliers.
10. How does Ruby react to Inman's eventual arrival?
(a) Ruby is darkly jealous and refuses to allow him into their camp.
(b) Ruby insists Ada does not need a man.
(c) Ruby is indifferent, except for a concern over the amount of food they must share with him.
(d) Ruby falls deeply in love and begins to flirt with Inman.
11. What happens to the men who steal from Sara's home?
(a) Inman kills them and retrieves Sara's belongings.
(b) Sara shoots them with her husband's riffle.
(c) They run into a band of Indians who scalp them.
(d) They have an accident on their starved horses.
12. What do these men want to know about?
(a) The band of outliers robbing rich slavers.
(b) What unit Stobrod and Pangle are with.
(c) Where Inman might be.
(d) Where the nearest town is.
13. Who comes to Sara's house the next morning after she and Inman share a bed?
(a) The local Home Guard.
(b) Several injured Confederates.
(c) The local law.
(d) Three Federals.
14. How did this person get his nickname?
(a) He was married to a woman named Inna.
(b) He once broke an expensive vase.
(c) He was expected to have been a girl.
(d) He was nearly beaten to death with a short, straight piece of wood.
15. Why does Inman decide to attack the approaching group of men?
(a) Inman feels he has no choice, there is no reasoning or hiding from these men.
(b) Inman has seen Ada, so now he is ready to die.
(c) Inman is tired of running.
(d) Inman wants to surrender, but not to these men who will surely kill him and his companion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sara, a woman Inman meets in the chapter, Bride Bed Full of Blood?
2. What memory of Ada does Inman share with Ada while they are alone in Ada's cabin?
3. What type of animal does the new person Inman meets in the chapter, The Doing of It, raise?
4. What does Inman find when he eventually reaches Black Cove?
5. What does the leader of these men order be done with Stobrod and Pangle after they get the answers they needed?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)