|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes one of these men to believe Stobrod and Pangle are holy men?
(a) Their Bibles.
(b) Their music.
(c) Their clothing.
(d) Their speeches.
2. What instrument does Ada and Ruby's guest play?
(a) A fiddle.
(b) A set of drums.
(c) A guitar.
(d) A banjo.
3. What do these men want to know about?
(a) Where Inman might be.
(b) The band of outliers robbing rich slavers.
(c) What unit Stobrod and Pangle are with.
(d) Where the nearest town is.
4. What map does Inman follow on the next leg of his journey in the chapter, The Doing of It?
(a) A map given to him by Lila.
(b) A map given to him by the Federals.
(c) A map given to him by Veasey.
(d) A map given to him by the yellow slave.
5. How do Ruby and Ada dress as they set out to find and bury the bodies of Stobrod and Pangle?
(a) In the clothes of Ada's father.
(b) In military uniforms.
(c) In Stobrod's clothing.
(d) In party gowns to possibly confuse the killers.
6. Who do Inman and his riding companion run into as they attempt to navigate the forest after leaving the abandoned village?
(a) A Confederate army unit.
(b) The Home Guard.
(c) A group of marauders.
(d) The Federals.
7. What does Inman do to his companion's horse upon meeting up with another group of men?
(a) Inman forces Ada's horse to stop.
(b) Inman forces Stobrod's horse to gallop away.
(c) Inman forces Ruby's horse to gallop in the opposite direction.
(d) Inman forces Ruby's horse to gallop toward the approaching men.
8. What does Inman find when he eventually reaches Black Cove?
(a) Veasey has reached it first.
(b) The Georgia boy there alone.
(c) An abandoned farm.
9. Who is Pangle?
(a) A gentle, child-like man and companion to Stobrod.
(b) Ruby's brother.
(c) Ada's cousin.
(d) A new cow Ruby brings home.
10. What noise attracts Inman to Ada and Ruby's camp?
(a) Ada's screams.
(b) Ruby's riffle.
(c) Ada's shotgun shots.
(d) Ruby's yelling.
11. What memory of Ada does Inman share with Ada while they are alone in Ada's cabin?
(a) The Christmas party where she sat in his lap.
(b) The afternoon they strolled by the river.
(c) The day she apologized for ridiculing his stories.
(d) The first time he saw her in church.
12. What happens to the men who steal from Sara's home?
(a) They have an accident on their starved horses.
(b) Inman kills them and retrieves Sara's belongings.
(c) Sara shoots them with her husband's riffle.
(d) They run into a band of Indians who scalp them.
13. What is the first thing Inman does when he finally finds Ada?
14. Why does Sara ask Inman to share her bed?
(a) Sara has no other place for Inman to sleep.
(b) Sara is a prostitute in need of money.
(c) Sara finds Inman attractive.
(d) Sara misses her husband and needs to feel some human connection.
15. What does Ruby find in the trap she set in the cornfield?
(a) A raccoon.
(b) Her father.
(c) A Federal.
(d) A squirrel.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people were originally in the grief stricken mother's family that Inman meets in the chapter, A Vow to Bear?
2. What does Inman hope Ada's reaction will be when she sees him?
3. How did this person come to compose his own music?
4. What does Ada hear that causes her to return to Inman?
5. What decision does Inman make about his outlier status?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)