|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Ruby and Ada have in common?
(a) They are both well educated.
(b) They were both raised without mothers.
(c) They are both orphans.
(d) They are both rich, spoiled young women.
2. Who tells Ada at a Christmas party that she should marry Inman?
3. What side of the war does Inman fight on?
(a) Neither. Inman is not a soldier.
(b) Both. Inman is a neutral scout.
4. What happens to Veasey and Inman after they leave the farmer's home?
(a) They are shot by the Home Guard.
(b) They are forced to pledge allegiance to the Union.
(c) They are put in jail.
(d) They are placed in a new army regiment.
5. Why did Ada's father choose Cold Mountain over a spa or other appropriate situation?
(a) Ada's father believed it was his calling to preach to the mountain people.
(b) Ada's father wanted to be close to the Indians indiginous to the area.
(c) Ada's father felt the weather of Cold Mountain would be better than any other place.
(d) Ada's father loved Cold Mountain.
6. Who does Inman meet who is in search of a slave he fell in love with on his father's prosperous farm?
7. What does Inman do to help Laura?
(a) Inman takes Laura to a settlement where she might find her husband.
(b) Inman returns her to her home, safe and sound.
(c) Inman seduces Laura and agrees to marry her.
(d) Inman save Laura from a group of Federals who want to steal her only means of survival.
8. What does Inman do with the preacher?
(a) Inman turns him over to the local law.
(b) Inman ties him to a tree with a confession written above him.
(c) Inman knocks him out and runs away while he is unconscious.
(d) Inman leaves him alone in the woods, naked and without a weapon.
9. Who is Claire Duchutes?
(a) Ada's mother.
(b) Monroe's mother.
(c) Ruby's mother.
(d) Inman's mother.
10. What book does Inman read while in the hospital?
(a) Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.
(b) Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.
(c) Travels by William Bartram.
(d) Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe.
11. What does Ruby suggest Ada sell to generate some money to help them survive the winter?
(a) Either the house or a few acres of land.
(b) Either the coffee or the tabacco crop.
(c) Either the piano or the cabriolet.
(d) Either the hog or the horse.
12. What is Ruby attempting to teach Ada while living at Black Cove?
(a) The beliefs of the Catholic Church.
(b) Druid Spirituality.
(c) How to be in tune with nature.
(d) The teachings of the Koran.
13. What is the topic of conversation when Ruby and Ada visit a friend in the chapter Source and Root?
(a) The war and the horrible consequences.
(b) The war and the wounded from their town.
(c) The war and the nobility of the sacrifice the men have made.
(d) The war and the romance surrounding it.
14. Why does Inman become upset about Ada's reaction to his story?
(a) Ada laughs at the story.
(b) Ada belittles Inman for believing in the story.
(c) Ada calls the story folkloric.
(d) Ada says the story is false.
15. What does Ada decide to sell in order to generate some money to help them through winter?
(a) The piano.
(b) The cabriolet and the hog.
(c) The horse and some coffee.
(d) A few acres of land and the tabacco crop.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ada find herself sitting in Inman's lap?
2. As Inman continues his journey, who does he come across who helps him?
3. What does Inman steal while at the same time leaving money for its cost?
4. Where did a man see a black woman placed in a cage and left for the buzzards to torment?
5. Who does Ruby suggest came up with the idea of celebrating Thanksgiving?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)