|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Inman believe the person he sees at Deep River is up to no good?
(a) The person blushes when questioned.
(b) The person has a weapon.
(c) There is a person bundled up on the back of his horse.
(d) The person appears nervous and incoherent.
2. What confession does the person Inman meets at Deep River make?
(a) That he has stolen food from a nearby store.
(b) That he has impregnanted a woman not his fiancee.
(c) That she has run away from her husband with all the family money.
(d) That she has killed her husband.
3. What side of the war does Inman fight on?
(a) Neither. Inman is not a soldier.
(b) Both. Inman is a neutral scout.
4. Who believes parties are a waste of time and energy?
5. Who comes to Black Cove as Ada and Ruby ready the winter garden?
(a) A group of deserters from Fredricksburg.
(b) A group of women and children fleeing the Federals in Tennessee.
(c) The Federals.
(d) The Home Guard.
6. What did Ada's father often preach about during church services?
(a) Why man is burdened with free will.
(b) Why man is born to die.
(c) Why man is doomed to failure.
(d) Why man was created.
7. What does the blind man sell outside the hospital?
(a) Medicine and peanuts.
(b) Bibles and hot dogs.
(c) Chestnuts and drawings.
(d) Peanuts and newspapers.
8. What does the young man who takes Ada away during the party tell her?
(a) That he wants to be president of the new Confederacy.
(b) That he is afraid of being killed in battle.
(c) That he wants to be a preacher one day.
(d) That he is in love with her.
9. What happens to Inman after he drinks some fluid Lila gave him?
(a) He becomes instantly drunk.
(b) He becomes violently ill.
(c) He is unable to fight off her attempts at seduction.
(d) He falls asleep.
10. What does Inman read about in the newspaper while in town?
(a) About the death of a dear friend in the war.
(b) About the most recent battles in the war.
(c) About the attacks by Federals against women and children in Tennessee.
(d) About the Home Guard and the Cherokees fighting the Federals.
11. Who invites Inman to join their camp?
(a) A Confederate army unit.
(b) A group of fugitives fleeing the Federals in Tennessee.
(c) A group of gypsies downstream from him.
(d) A group of deserters hiding from the Home Guard.
12. Why does Inman become upset about Ada's reaction to his story?
(a) Ada says the story is false.
(b) Ada calls the story folkloric.
(c) Ada belittles Inman for believing in the story.
(d) Ada laughs at the story.
13. What does Veasey believe they should do with the saw?
(a) Give it to a farmer in need.
(b) Use it to murder a prostitute who crossed them.
(c) Trade it for food.
(d) Sell it for money.
14. What does the farmer insist Inman do with his wife after catching them in a lover's embrace?
(a) Kill her.
(b) Make love to her.
(c) Marry her.
(d) Kill himself.
15. Who tells Ada at a Christmas party that she should marry Inman?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Stobrod the last time Ruby heard of him?
2. What is Ada looking for when she goes searching in the basement?
3. What does Inman say happened in Petersburg?
4. Where are the guests who visit Black Cove going?
5. What crime does this farmer believe his wife has committed?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)