|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What skill does Ada not have that she might need to survive on her own?
(a) Ada cannot cook.
(b) Ada cannot sew.
(c) Ada cannot grow vegetables.
(d) Ada cannot milk a cow.
2. How does Inman attempt to cross the river?
(a) In a boat he finds tied to a tree on the shore.
(b) On a small raft someone has left abandoned.
(c) In a canoe piloted by the daughter of the ferryman.
(d) On a ferry.
3. Where did Inman meet Ada for the first time?
(a) At the local school.
(b) At a friend's house.
(c) At church.
(d) At the local store.
4. After the death of her father, what does Ada learn about her financial situation?
(a) Ada has plenty of money to live on.
(b) The farm was left to Ada's cousin, making her dependent on family for income.
(c) Ada should return to Charleston to inherit her money.
(d) There is no money left.
5. What book does Inman read while in the hospital?
(a) Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(b) Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.
(c) Travels by William Bartram.
(d) Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.
6. Who comes to Black Cove as Ada and Ruby ready the winter garden?
(a) The Home Guard.
(b) A group of deserters from Fredricksburg.
(c) A group of women and children fleeing the Federals in Tennessee.
(d) The Federals.
7. Why did Ada believe she was the product of a marriage of convenience?
(a) Because her mother told her she was.
(b) Because her parents divorced soon after her birth.
(c) Because her father told her she was.
(d) Because her parents were older when they married.
8. Who joins Inman on his journey in the chapter, Exile and Brute Wandering?
(a) The Home Guardsman, Teague.
(b) The blind man from the military hospital.
(c) The preacher, Solomon Veasey.
(d) His childhood friend, Swimmer.
9. What does Ada find in the basement of her house?
(a) A one-hundred pound bag of coffee.
(b) A nest of rats.
(c) A stack of rare books.
(d) A case of champagne.
10. What kind of food does Inman find in the chapter Exile and Brute Wandering?
(a) Cheese and chicken.
(b) Honey and catfish.
(c) A fresh vegetable garden.
(d) Fresh deer meat.
11. Who introduced Inman to Ada?
(d) Sally Swanger.
12. Who comes to Ruby's rescue?
(a) Her father.
(b) A neighbor.
(c) A fisherman.
(d) A hunter.
13. Where is Inman's companion planning on going?
(c) South Carolina.
14. Where does a young man take Ada during this party?
(a) On a stroll in the woods.
(b) To the barn to see a new horse.
(c) To an abandoned cabin.
(d) In a boat on the river.
15. What does Inman read about in the newspaper while in town?
(a) About the most recent battles in the war.
(b) About the death of a dear friend in the war.
(c) About the Home Guard and the Cherokees fighting the Federals.
(d) About the attacks by Federals against women and children in Tennessee.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Inman wake in the opening scene of The Shadow of a Crow?
2. Who do Ada and Ruby go to visit while in town in the chapter, Source and Root?
3. As Inman continues his journey, who does he come across who helps him?
4. Who was Monroe's favorite poet?
5. Why does Inman believe the person he sees at Deep River is up to no good?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)