|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Inman attempt to cross the river?
(a) In a canoe piloted by the daughter of the ferryman.
(b) On a small raft someone has left abandoned.
(c) In a boat he finds tied to a tree on the shore.
(d) On a ferry.
2. What character in the story Ada reads to Ruby does Ruby believe resembles her father?
(d) Sir Gawain.
3. How does Inman escape his ordeal after leaving the farmer's home?
(a) Inman and Veasey are rescued by Lila, the farmer's wife.
(b) Inman and Veasey run away in the middle of the night.
(c) Inman survives the shooting and is able to cut his restraints with a rock.
(d) Inman and Veasey decide they are better off where they are and do nothing.
4. What do Ruby and Ada have in common?
(a) They are both rich, spoiled young women.
(b) They are both orphans.
(c) They were both raised without mothers.
(d) They are both well educated.
5. Which of Teague's men argues that they need to bring in a living prisoner?
6. Where did Inman meet Ada for the first time?
(a) At church.
(b) At a friend's house.
(c) At the local store.
(d) At the local school.
7. Where does Inman dream of living one day?
(a) In the flatlands he is traveling through.
(b) In a big city in the East.
(c) In a cabin high in the moutains.
(d) At Black Cove with Ada.
8. Who believes parties are a waste of time and energy?
9. What guards the farms that Inman passes in the flatlands?
(a) Wild boars.
(b) Wild humans.
(c) Wild dogs.
(d) Wild leopards.
10. Who does the farmer sell Inman and Veasey to for $5 a head?
(a) The Federals.
(b) The Home Guard.
(c) The local law.
(d) The Confederate Army.
11. What story does Ada recall Inman telling her?
(a) An Indian story about a tribe's inability to enter the hidden room behind Shining Rock.
(b) An Indian story about the origins of Cold Mountain.
(c) The story of his birth and early childhood.
(d) How Swimmer once taught him a spell called To Cause Grave Illness.
12. Why does Veasey hit his companion over the head in the chapter Exile and Brute Wandering?
(a) Because he attempted to steal Inman's haversack.
(b) Because he attempted to rob a shop keeper.
(c) Because he attempted to molest a woman on the street.
(d) Because he refused to pay a prostitute for her services.
13. Why does Ada decide not to return to Charleston after her father's death?
(a) Ada feels she has nothing to go back to.
(b) Ada feels Cold Mountain is the only place where she belongs.
(c) Ada does not like her relatives in Charleston.
(d) Ada has bad memories of her childhood in Charleston.
14. What object does Ruby instruct Ada to create in the chapter, In Place of the Truth?
(a) A picnic table.
(b) A bar of soap.
(c) A drawing of a heron.
(d) A scarecrow.
15. What animal does Stobrod claim is Ruby's true father?
(a) A horse.
(b) A heron.
(c) A lion.
(d) A bear.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the farmer who invites Inman and Veasey to spend the night at his farm after they help him remove a dead bull from the river?
2. Where are the guests who visit Black Cove going?
3. Where did a man see a black woman placed in a cage and left for the buzzards to torment?
4. How is Teague dressed?
5. Why does a preacher believe Inman means to kill him?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)