|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the farmer sell Inman and Veasey to for $5 a head?
(a) The local law.
(b) The Federals.
(c) The Confederate Army.
(d) The Home Guard.
2. Where does Inman wake in the opening scene of The Shadow of a Crow?
(a) A farm near Cold Mountain.
(b) A cabin in the woods.
(c) A military hospital.
(d) A military camp.
3. What does the blind man sell outside the hospital?
(a) Medicine and peanuts.
(b) Bibles and hot dogs.
(c) Peanuts and newspapers.
(d) Chestnuts and drawings.
4. What does Ada find in the basement of her house?
(a) A case of champagne.
(b) A nest of rats.
(c) A one-hundred pound bag of coffee.
(d) A stack of rare books.
5. What does Ruby suggest Ada sell to generate some money to help them survive the winter?
(a) Either the hog or the horse.
(b) Either the piano or the cabriolet.
(c) Either the coffee or the tabacco crop.
(d) Either the house or a few acres of land.
6. What does Inman do to the farmer who sold him and Veasey?
(a) Clubs him to death with his gun.
(b) Shoots him.
(c) Steals away his wife.
(d) Sends the law to his house.
7. As Inman continues his journey, who does he come across who helps him?
(a) A war widow.
(d) A yellow slave.
8. What object does Ruby instruct Ada to create in the chapter, In Place of the Truth?
(a) A drawing of a heron.
(b) A scarecrow.
(c) A bar of soap.
(d) A picnic table.
9. What confession does the person Inman meets at Deep River make?
(a) That she has run away from her husband with all the family money.
(b) That he has impregnanted a woman not his fiancee.
(c) That he has stolen food from a nearby store.
(d) That she has killed her husband.
10. What type of saw do Inman and Veasey find?
(a) A circular saw.
(b) A lumberman's saw.
(c) A sabertooth saw.
(d) A crosscut saw.
11. Why does Ruby come to Black Cove?
(a) Ruby wants to buy Ada's animals.
(b) Ruby wants to befriend Ada.
(c) Ruby wants to offer her services to Ada.
(d) Ruby wants to buy Black Cove.
12. What does Inman read about in the newspaper while in town?
(a) About the most recent battles in the war.
(b) About the death of a dear friend in the war.
(c) About the attacks by Federals against women and children in Tennessee.
(d) About the Home Guard and the Cherokees fighting the Federals.
13. What does this person who joins Inman in the chapter, Exile and Brute Wandering, tell Inman about what happened to him after their last meeting?
(a) That he was forced out of the Home Guard for being too brutal.
(b) That he was fighting the Federals but decided to return home.
(c) That the townspeople beat him and cut his hair.
(d) That he was robbed of all his possessions and decided to move on.
14. What item did Inman find on a battlefield and hide during his medical ordeal?
(a) A LeMat's pistol.
(b) A picture of an unknown woman.
(c) A Whitworth .45 riffle.
(d) A leather medicine bag.
15. What story does Ada read to Ruby in the chapter Ashes of Roses?
(a) The Tale of the Green Knight.
(b) The Odyssy.
(c) The Legend of King Arthur and the Round Table.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Inman become upset about Ada's reaction to his story?
2. How does Inman escape his ordeal after leaving the farmer's home?
3. Which general does Inman claim he prefers?
4. From whom is the letter Ruby brings Ada in the chapter, In Place of the Truth?
5. Why does Inman believe the person he sees at Deep River is up to no good?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)