|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Waldo, mentioned in the chapter Ashes of Roses?
(a) A horse.
(b) A hog.
(c) A chicken.
(d) A cow.
2. After the death of her father, what does Ada learn about her financial situation?
(a) Ada should return to Charleston to inherit her money.
(b) The farm was left to Ada's cousin, making her dependent on family for income.
(c) There is no money left.
(d) Ada has plenty of money to live on.
3. Who arrives while Ada and Ruby listen to the prisoner yelling from his second story prison cell?
(a) A Confederate military company.
(b) The Home Guard.
(c) The Federals.
(d) The sheriff.
4. Where did a man see a black woman placed in a cage and left for the buzzards to torment?
(c) South Carolina.
5. Who is Claire Duchutes?
(a) Ruby's mother.
(b) Monroe's mother.
(c) Ada's mother.
(d) Inman's mother.
6. What does Inman do with the saw?
(a) Cuts up fire wood.
(b) Cuts up a dead bull and then gives it to a farmer.
(c) Trades it for food.
(d) As a weapon in a robbery.
7. Who tells Ada at a Christmas party that she should marry Inman?
8. What does Inman steal while at the same time leaving money for its cost?
(a) A new watch.
(b) A dinner bag.
(c) A new pair of shoes.
(d) A new shirt.
9. Which of Teague's men argues that they need to bring in a living prisoner?
10. Who is the woman named Laura that Inman meets in the chapter, Life Any Other Thing, a Gift?
(a) Laura is the war widow Inman meets beside Deep River.
(b) Laura is the woman the preacher has gotten pregnant and wants to kill to hide his indiscretion.
(c) Laura is the sister of a Home Guardsmen who ambushes Inman at Deep River.
(d) Laura is the wife of a farmer Inman helps by cutting up a bull that has died in the river by his farm.
11. Who invites Inman to join their camp?
(a) A group of fugitives fleeing the Federals in Tennessee.
(b) A group of deserters hiding from the Home Guard.
(c) A Confederate army unit.
(d) A group of gypsies downstream from him.
12. What caused Ruby to spend the night in the woods when she is only four?
(a) She becomes attached to a blackthorn tree.
(b) She is cornered by a mother bear protecting her cub.
(c) She is injured in a rock slide.
(d) She is lost in the dark.
13. Who does Inman dream of as he sleeps the night after meeting the Gypsies?
14. Who believes parties are a waste of time and energy?
15. Who do Ada and Ruby go to visit while in town in the chapter, Source and Root?
(a) Stobrod Trewes, Ruby's father.
(b) Sally, a friend of Inman's.
(c) Mrs. McKennet, a friend of Monroe's.
(d) Teague, the leader of the Home Guard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ada find in the basement of her house?
2. How long has Ada lived in Black Cove?
3. Why does Inman become upset about Ada's reaction to his story?
4. How is Teague dressed?
5. What crime does this farmer believe his wife has committed?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)