|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Ruby's father?
(b) Inman's cousin.
(d) Stobrod Thewes.
2. Who comes to Ruby's rescue?
(a) A hunter.
(b) A fisherman.
(c) Her father.
(d) A neighbor.
3. What side of the war does Inman fight on?
(c) Neither. Inman is not a soldier.
(d) Both. Inman is a neutral scout.
4. What character in the story Ada reads to Ruby does Ruby believe resembles her father?
(a) Sir Gawain.
5. Why does Ada find herself sitting in Inman's lap?
(a) She became faint and giddy.
(b) She was drunk and became unstable.
(c) He pulled her into his lap for a kiss.
(d) She was attempting to seduce him.
6. Where does Inman wake in the opening scene of The Shadow of a Crow?
(a) A cabin in the woods.
(b) A military camp.
(c) A military hospital.
(d) A farm near Cold Mountain.
7. How does Inman escape his ordeal after leaving the farmer's home?
(a) Inman and Veasey are rescued by Lila, the farmer's wife.
(b) Inman and Veasey decide they are better off where they are and do nothing.
(c) Inman and Veasey run away in the middle of the night.
(d) Inman survives the shooting and is able to cut his restraints with a rock.
8. What gun does Inman notice in a settlement where he stops to pick up supplies?
(a) Reminton rifle.
(b) Colt .45 revolver.
(c) LeMats revolver.
(d) Whitworth .45 rifle.
9. Where did Inman learn this spell?
(a) From Swimmer, a childhood friend.
(b) From his father.
(c) From his mother.
(d) From an old, tattooed Cherokee woman.
10. How long has Ada lived in Black Cove?
(a) Six years.
(b) Six months.
(c) Sixty years.
(d) Six weeks.
11. What is the name of the farmer who invites Inman and Veasey to spend the night at his farm after they help him remove a dead bull from the river?
12. What does Inman steal while at the same time leaving money for its cost?
(a) A new shirt.
(b) A new pair of shoes.
(c) A dinner bag.
(d) A new watch.
13. While cooking corn mash, Inman smells what downstream?
(a) Real food being cooked.
(b) A dead animal.
(c) That the corn is spoiled.
(d) The approach of diry, smelly men.
14. Who is Claire Duchutes?
(a) Ruby's mother.
(b) Inman's mother.
(c) Monroe's mother.
(d) Ada's mother.
15. Why is a group of people drawn to the street underneath the window of a prisoner?
(a) Because the prisoner is threatening to commit suicide.
(b) Because the prisoner is explaining how he is a war hero who only came home to see his wife.
(c) Because the prisoner is claiming that he was arrested on false charges and the real criminal is one of the policemen.
(d) Because the prisoner is claiming police brutality.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the farmer sell Inman and Veasey to for $5 a head?
2. After the death of her father, what does Ada learn about her financial situation?
3. How does Inman attempt to cross the river?
4. Who believes parties are a waste of time and energy?
5. What happens as Inman slowly crosses the river?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)