|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Inman read about in the newspaper while in town?
(a) About the attacks by Federals against women and children in Tennessee.
(b) About the most recent battles in the war.
(c) About the Home Guard and the Cherokees fighting the Federals.
(d) About the death of a dear friend in the war.
2. What has Ada done on the farm since her father's death?
(a) Ada has hired a neighbor to care for the farm.
(b) Ada has taken the farm in hand and is running it efficiently.
(c) Ada has sold the farm with the intention of returning to Charleston.
(d) Ada has done nothing on the farm.
3. What does Ada find in the basement of her house?
(a) A case of champagne.
(b) A one-hundred pound bag of coffee.
(c) A stack of rare books.
(d) A nest of rats.
4. What book does Inman read while in the hospital?
(a) Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.
(b) Travels by William Bartram.
(c) Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(d) Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.
5. Who is Claire Duchutes?
(a) Monroe's mother.
(b) Inman's mother.
(c) Ada's mother.
(d) Ruby's mother.
6. Where does Inman dream of living one day?
(a) In the flatlands he is traveling through.
(b) At Black Cove with Ada.
(c) In a cabin high in the moutains.
(d) In a big city in the East.
7. Where does Inman wake in the opening scene of The Shadow of a Crow?
(a) A military hospital.
(b) A cabin in the woods.
(c) A military camp.
(d) A farm near Cold Mountain.
8. What side of the war does Inman fight on?
(b) Both. Inman is a neutral scout.
(c) Neither. Inman is not a soldier.
9. What does the farmer insist Inman do with his wife after catching them in a lover's embrace?
(a) Marry her.
(b) Kill her.
(c) Kill himself.
(d) Make love to her.
10. What story does Ada read to Ruby in the chapter Ashes of Roses?
(a) The Tale of the Green Knight.
(c) The Odyssy.
(d) The Legend of King Arthur and the Round Table.
11. Who comes to Black Cove as Ada and Ruby ready the winter garden?
(a) The Federals.
(b) The Home Guard.
(c) A group of women and children fleeing the Federals in Tennessee.
(d) A group of deserters from Fredricksburg.
12. Who does the farmer sell Inman and Veasey to for $5 a head?
(a) The Confederate Army.
(b) The Home Guard.
(c) The local law.
(d) The Federals.
13. What animal does Stobrod claim is Ruby's true father?
(a) A heron.
(b) A bear.
(c) A lion.
(d) A horse.
14. What guards the farms that Inman passes in the flatlands?
(a) Wild boars.
(b) Wild leopards.
(c) Wild humans.
(d) Wild dogs.
15. Why does Inman become upset about Ada's reaction to his story?
(a) Ada belittles Inman for believing in the story.
(b) Ada says the story is false.
(c) Ada calls the story folkloric.
(d) Ada laughs at the story.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ada later learn happened to this young man who spent time alone with her during her final party in Charleston?
2. Who arrives while Ada and Ruby listen to the prisoner yelling from his second story prison cell?
3. What text is Balis, Inman's neighbor in the hospital, translating into English?
4. At whose house did Ada attend her final party in Charleston?
5. What does the blind man sell outside the hospital?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)