|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ada use to construct the item Ruby has told her to create?
(a) An old ball gown.
(b) Lard from the hog killed earlier in the year.
(c) A peice of coal.
(d) An old cart.
2. What does Inman do to the farmer who sold him and Veasey?
(a) Clubs him to death with his gun.
(b) Steals away his wife.
(c) Shoots him.
(d) Sends the law to his house.
3. What do Ruby and Ada have in common?
(a) They are both rich, spoiled young women.
(b) They are both orphans.
(c) They were both raised without mothers.
(d) They are both well educated.
4. What text is Balis, Inman's neighbor in the hospital, translating into English?
(a) A Spanish text.
(b) A Greek text.
(c) A French text.
(d) A Latin text.
5. Why does Inman walk into town?
(a) To buy supplies
(b) To post a letter.
(c) To visit a friend.
(d) To show the doctors he is ready to return to his unit.
6. Who is Swimmer and why does Inman think about him after reading the news?
(a) Swimmer is a childhood enemy who is fighting the Federals in Tennessee.
(b) Swimmer is a Cherokee friend of Inman's whom he is afraid might be fighting the Federals.
(c) Swimmer is a childhood enemy who has married Inman's girl.
(d) Swimmer is a childhood friend whom Inman believes is with the Home Guard.
7. How does Inman attempt to cross the river?
(a) In a canoe piloted by the daughter of the ferryman.
(b) In a boat he finds tied to a tree on the shore.
(c) On a small raft someone has left abandoned.
(d) On a ferry.
8. What is the topic of conversation when Ruby and Ada visit a friend in the chapter Source and Root?
(a) The war and the wounded from their town.
(b) The war and the horrible consequences.
(c) The war and the romance surrounding it.
(d) The war and the nobility of the sacrifice the men have made.
9. What side of the war does Inman fight on?
(a) Both. Inman is a neutral scout.
(c) Neither. Inman is not a soldier.
10. What gun does Inman notice in a settlement where he stops to pick up supplies?
(a) Reminton rifle.
(b) LeMats revolver.
(c) Whitworth .45 rifle.
(d) Colt .45 revolver.
11. Where does Ruby live while helping Ada at Black Cove?
(a) In the old servants' cabin.
(b) In town.
(c) In the barn with the animals.
(d) In the house with Ada.
12. Why does Ada find herself sitting in Inman's lap?
(a) She was attempting to seduce him.
(b) He pulled her into his lap for a kiss.
(c) She was drunk and became unstable.
(d) She became faint and giddy.
13. Who tells Ada at a Christmas party that she should marry Inman?
14. Why does Inman believe the person he sees at Deep River is up to no good?
(a) There is a person bundled up on the back of his horse.
(b) The person has a weapon.
(c) The person appears nervous and incoherent.
(d) The person blushes when questioned.
15. How is Teague dressed?
(a) Like a mountain man.
(b) Like a law man.
(c) Like a soldier.
(d) Like a preacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Inman meet who is in search of a slave he fell in love with on his father's prosperous farm?
2. Why did Ada's father choose Cold Mountain over a spa or other appropriate situation?
3. Where is Inman's companion planning on going?
4. Why does Ada decide not to return to Charleston after her father's death?
5. What does Ada find in the basement of her house?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)