|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who attacks Inman as he leaves the area where the settlement was?
(a) Two men and a prostitute.
(b) Two men and a blacksmith.
(c) Two women and a blacksmith.
(d) Two women and a shopkeeper.
2. Why does Ruby come to Black Cove?
(a) Ruby wants to offer her services to Ada.
(b) Ruby wants to buy Black Cove.
(c) Ruby wants to buy Ada's animals.
(d) Ruby wants to befriend Ada.
3. What type of saw do Inman and Veasey find?
(a) A lumberman's saw.
(b) A crosscut saw.
(c) A circular saw.
(d) A sabertooth saw.
4. Who does Inman dream of as he sleeps the night after meeting the Gypsies?
5. Who saves Inman's companion from being shot in a standoff with a drunk?
(a) The barkeeper.
(c) The local sheriff.
(d) A prostitute named Tildy.
6. Who do Ada and Ruby go to visit while in town in the chapter, Source and Root?
(a) Mrs. McKennet, a friend of Monroe's.
(b) Stobrod Trewes, Ruby's father.
(c) Teague, the leader of the Home Guard.
(d) Sally, a friend of Inman's.
7. Who introduced Inman to Ada?
(c) Sally Swanger.
8. Why did Ada believe she was the product of a marriage of convenience?
(a) Because her father told her she was.
(b) Because her parents divorced soon after her birth.
(c) Because her parents were older when they married.
(d) Because her mother told her she was.
9. What does Ruby suggest Ada sell to generate some money to help them survive the winter?
(a) Either the piano or the cabriolet.
(b) Either the coffee or the tabacco crop.
(c) Either the hog or the horse.
(d) Either the house or a few acres of land.
10. What story does Ada read to Ruby in the chapter Ashes of Roses?
(a) The Odyssy.
(c) The Tale of the Green Knight.
(d) The Legend of King Arthur and the Round Table.
11. What does Inman do to the farmer who sold him and Veasey?
(a) Shoots him.
(b) Steals away his wife.
(c) Sends the law to his house.
(d) Clubs him to death with his gun.
12. What kind of gun does Inman's companion carry?
(a) A Remington.
(b) A LeMat's pistol.
(c) A Whitworth .45 riffle.
(d) A Colt.
13. Who does Inman meet who is in search of a slave he fell in love with on his father's prosperous farm?
14. Where does Inman wake in the opening scene of The Shadow of a Crow?
(a) A cabin in the woods.
(b) A farm near Cold Mountain.
(c) A military hospital.
(d) A military camp.
15. Who comes to Black Cove as Ada and Ruby ready the winter garden?
(a) The Federals.
(b) A group of women and children fleeing the Federals in Tennessee.
(c) The Home Guard.
(d) A group of deserters from Fredricksburg.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Teague's men argues that they need to bring in a living prisoner?
2. What did Ada later learn happened to this young man who spent time alone with her during her final party in Charleston?
3. Who arrives while Ada and Ruby listen to the prisoner yelling from his second story prison cell?
4. Where are the guests who visit Black Cove going?
5. While cooking corn mash, Inman smells what downstream?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)