|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to Ruby's rescue?
(a) A hunter.
(b) A neighbor.
(c) Her father.
(d) A fisherman.
2. From whom is the letter Ruby brings Ada in the chapter, In Place of the Truth?
(a) Her cousin.
(c) A solicitor.
3. What does Inman do to help Laura?
(a) Inman takes Laura to a settlement where she might find her husband.
(b) Inman save Laura from a group of Federals who want to steal her only means of survival.
(c) Inman seduces Laura and agrees to marry her.
(d) Inman returns her to her home, safe and sound.
4. Which of Teague's men argues that they need to bring in a living prisoner?
5. What book does Inman read while in the hospital?
(a) Travels by William Bartram.
(b) Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.
(c) Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.
(d) Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe.
6. What woman reminds Inman of Ada?
(a) A blond woman in a fancy dress.
(b) A red haired woman in a bathing suit.
(c) A dark haired woman on a horse.
(d) A brunette on a bull.
7. What does Ada decide to sell in order to generate some money to help them through winter?
(a) The horse and some coffee.
(b) A few acres of land and the tabacco crop.
(c) The cabriolet and the hog.
(d) The piano.
8. What does Inman take with him when he leaves the hospital at the end of the first chapter?
(a) Inman takes nothing but a change of clothes.
(b) Inman takes his readied haversack and the manuscript Balis was working on.
(c) Inman takes a book and money he took from his neighbor who has died.
(d) Inman takes his readied haversack and a picture he admired that belonged to his now dead neighbor.
9. Why is a group of people drawn to the street underneath the window of a prisoner?
(a) Because the prisoner is threatening to commit suicide.
(b) Because the prisoner is claiming police brutality.
(c) Because the prisoner is explaining how he is a war hero who only came home to see his wife.
(d) Because the prisoner is claiming that he was arrested on false charges and the real criminal is one of the policemen.
10. Who does Inman meet who is in search of a slave he fell in love with on his father's prosperous farm?
11. What is the name of the spell Inman speaks after the fight he is forced into outside the settlement?
(a) To Catch an Ilness.
(b) To Destroy Life.
(c) To Catch a Theif.
(d) To End a Life.
12. Where does a young man take Ada during this party?
(a) In a boat on the river.
(b) To the barn to see a new horse.
(c) To an abandoned cabin.
(d) On a stroll in the woods.
13. What is the topic of conversation when Ruby and Ada visit a friend in the chapter Source and Root?
(a) The war and the romance surrounding it.
(b) The war and the wounded from their town.
(c) The war and the horrible consequences.
(d) The war and the nobility of the sacrifice the men have made.
14. Who attacks Inman as he leaves the area where the settlement was?
(a) Two women and a blacksmith.
(b) Two women and a shopkeeper.
(c) Two men and a prostitute.
(d) Two men and a blacksmith.
15. Who arrives while Ada and Ruby listen to the prisoner yelling from his second story prison cell?
(a) The Home Guard.
(b) The sheriff.
(c) A Confederate military company.
(d) The Federals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item did Inman find on a battlefield and hide during his medical ordeal?
2. What story does Ada recall Inman telling her?
3. What has Ada done on the farm since her father's death?
4. Who does Ruby suggest came up with the idea of celebrating Thanksgiving?
5. What does the blind man sell outside the hospital?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)