|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What skill does Ada not have that she might need to survive on her own?
(a) Ada cannot milk a cow.
(b) Ada cannot grow vegetables.
(c) Ada cannot cook.
(d) Ada cannot sew.
2. What does Ruby talk extensively about as she and Ada walk into town in the chapter, Source and Root?
3. After the death of her father, what does Ada learn about her financial situation?
(a) Ada has plenty of money to live on.
(b) The farm was left to Ada's cousin, making her dependent on family for income.
(c) There is no money left.
(d) Ada should return to Charleston to inherit her money.
4. At whose house did Ada attend her final party in Charleston?
(a) Her best friend.
(b) Her cousin's.
(c) Her aunt's.
(d) Her grandparent's.
5. While cooking corn mash, Inman smells what downstream?
(a) Real food being cooked.
(b) A dead animal.
(c) That the corn is spoiled.
(d) The approach of diry, smelly men.
6. What does Inman read about in the newspaper while in town?
(a) About the most recent battles in the war.
(b) About the death of a dear friend in the war.
(c) About the attacks by Federals against women and children in Tennessee.
(d) About the Home Guard and the Cherokees fighting the Federals.
7. Why did Ada and her father move to Cold Mountain?
(a) Ada's mother had tuberculosis.
(b) Ada's father had tuberculosis.
(c) Ada had tuberculosis.
(d) Ada's grandfather had tuberculosis.
8. Which of Teague's men argues that they need to bring in a living prisoner?
9. Why did Ada's father choose Cold Mountain over a spa or other appropriate situation?
(a) Ada's father loved Cold Mountain.
(b) Ada's father wanted to be close to the Indians indiginous to the area.
(c) Ada's father believed it was his calling to preach to the mountain people.
(d) Ada's father felt the weather of Cold Mountain would be better than any other place.
10. Why does Inman believe the person he sees at Deep River is up to no good?
(a) There is a person bundled up on the back of his horse.
(b) The person blushes when questioned.
(c) The person appears nervous and incoherent.
(d) The person has a weapon.
11. Where does Inman dream of living one day?
(a) In the flatlands he is traveling through.
(b) At Black Cove with Ada.
(c) In a big city in the East.
(d) In a cabin high in the moutains.
12. Who joins Inman on his journey in the chapter, Exile and Brute Wandering?
(a) His childhood friend, Swimmer.
(b) The preacher, Solomon Veasey.
(c) The Home Guardsman, Teague.
(d) The blind man from the military hospital.
13. What does Inman do to help Laura?
(a) Inman takes Laura to a settlement where she might find her husband.
(b) Inman returns her to her home, safe and sound.
(c) Inman seduces Laura and agrees to marry her.
(d) Inman save Laura from a group of Federals who want to steal her only means of survival.
14. What book does Inman read while in the hospital?
(a) Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.
(b) Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(c) Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.
(d) Travels by William Bartram.
15. Where did Inman learn this spell?
(a) From an old, tattooed Cherokee woman.
(b) From his mother.
(c) From Swimmer, a childhood friend.
(d) From his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Ada believe she was the product of a marriage of convenience?
2. What guards the farms that Inman passes in the flatlands?
3. What does Inman steal while at the same time leaving money for its cost?
4. Who is the woman named Laura that Inman meets in the chapter, Life Any Other Thing, a Gift?
5. Who invites Inman to join their camp?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)