|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Inman meet who is in search of a slave he fell in love with on his father's prosperous farm?
2. Who does the farmer sell Inman and Veasey to for $5 a head?
(a) The Confederate Army.
(b) The local law.
(c) The Home Guard.
(d) The Federals.
3. Who joins Inman on his journey in the chapter, Exile and Brute Wandering?
(a) The preacher, Solomon Veasey.
(b) The Home Guardsman, Teague.
(c) The blind man from the military hospital.
(d) His childhood friend, Swimmer.
4. Who is the woman named Laura that Inman meets in the chapter, Life Any Other Thing, a Gift?
(a) Laura is the wife of a farmer Inman helps by cutting up a bull that has died in the river by his farm.
(b) Laura is the woman the preacher has gotten pregnant and wants to kill to hide his indiscretion.
(c) Laura is the war widow Inman meets beside Deep River.
(d) Laura is the sister of a Home Guardsmen who ambushes Inman at Deep River.
5. What does Veasey believe they should do with the saw?
(a) Give it to a farmer in need.
(b) Trade it for food.
(c) Use it to murder a prostitute who crossed them.
(d) Sell it for money.
6. What do Ruby and Ada have in common?
(a) They are both orphans.
(b) They were both raised without mothers.
(c) They are both well educated.
(d) They are both rich, spoiled young women.
7. What does Inman steal while at the same time leaving money for its cost?
(a) A new watch.
(b) A new pair of shoes.
(c) A dinner bag.
(d) A new shirt.
8. Who is Waldo, mentioned in the chapter Ashes of Roses?
(a) A chicken.
(b) A horse.
(c) A hog.
(d) A cow.
9. Who does Inman run into in the middle of the night at Deep River?
(a) A war widow.
(b) A preacher.
(c) A farmer with a wounded bull.
(d) A Home Guardsman.
10. Why does Ada decide not to return to Charleston after her father's death?
(a) Ada does not like her relatives in Charleston.
(b) Ada has bad memories of her childhood in Charleston.
(c) Ada feels she has nothing to go back to.
(d) Ada feels Cold Mountain is the only place where she belongs.
11. Who is Swimmer and why does Inman think about him after reading the news?
(a) Swimmer is a childhood enemy who is fighting the Federals in Tennessee.
(b) Swimmer is a Cherokee friend of Inman's whom he is afraid might be fighting the Federals.
(c) Swimmer is a childhood friend whom Inman believes is with the Home Guard.
(d) Swimmer is a childhood enemy who has married Inman's girl.
12. Why does Inman walk into town?
(a) To buy supplies
(b) To post a letter.
(c) To visit a friend.
(d) To show the doctors he is ready to return to his unit.
13. What happens as Inman slowly crosses the river?
(a) Someone begins firing at the canoe.
(b) The boat's owner chases after him.
(c) The raft falls apart.
(d) The ferry sinks.
14. Why did Ada and her father move to Cold Mountain?
(a) Ada's mother had tuberculosis.
(b) Ada had tuberculosis.
(c) Ada's father had tuberculosis.
(d) Ada's grandfather had tuberculosis.
15. What caused Ruby to spend the night in the woods when she is only four?
(a) She becomes attached to a blackthorn tree.
(b) She is lost in the dark.
(c) She is cornered by a mother bear protecting her cub.
(d) She is injured in a rock slide.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did a man see a black woman placed in a cage and left for the buzzards to torment?
2. What is the name of the farmer who invites Inman and Veasey to spend the night at his farm after they help him remove a dead bull from the river?
3. What happens to Inman after he drinks some fluid Lila gave him?
4. What does Ada decide to sell in order to generate some money to help them through winter?
5. Why does a preacher believe Inman means to kill him?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)