|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Inman dream of living one day?
(a) In a cabin high in the moutains.
(b) In a big city in the East.
(c) In the flatlands he is traveling through.
(d) At Black Cove with Ada.
2. What does the blind man answer when Inman asks if he would like to be able to see for ten minutes?
(a) No, because it would only leave him angry and bitter.
(b) Yes, especially if he could see a beautiful woman during that time.
(c) Yes, but for much longer than ten minutes.
(d) No, because he does not want to see a country that could turn on its brothers.
3. Which of Teague's men argues that they need to bring in a living prisoner?
4. Who introduced Inman to Ada?
(b) Sally Swanger.
5. What book does Inman read while in the hospital?
(a) Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.
(b) Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.
(c) Travels by William Bartram.
(d) Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe.
6. Why does a neighbor have such a grudge against Stobrod that he often shoots at him when he passes his farm?
(a) Stobrod left him alone, causing him to become trapped under some logs.
(b) Stobrod leaves him alone, causing him to be mauled by a bear.
(c) Stobrod got him arrested by distilling illegal liquor on his property.
(d) Stobrod burned down his house while helping him burn logs.
7. What does Ada decide to sell in order to generate some money to help them through winter?
(a) A few acres of land and the tabacco crop.
(b) The cabriolet and the hog.
(c) The horse and some coffee.
(d) The piano.
8. What is the topic of conversation when Ruby and Ada visit a friend in the chapter Source and Root?
(a) The war and the romance surrounding it.
(b) The war and the horrible consequences.
(c) The war and the wounded from their town.
(d) The war and the nobility of the sacrifice the men have made.
9. Why did Ada's father choose Cold Mountain over a spa or other appropriate situation?
(a) Ada's father believed it was his calling to preach to the mountain people.
(b) Ada's father loved Cold Mountain.
(c) Ada's father felt the weather of Cold Mountain would be better than any other place.
(d) Ada's father wanted to be close to the Indians indiginous to the area.
10. What does Veasey believe they should do with the saw?
(a) Trade it for food.
(b) Give it to a farmer in need.
(c) Use it to murder a prostitute who crossed them.
(d) Sell it for money.
11. Where are the guests who visit Black Cove going?
(a) Casper, Wyoming.
(b) Camden, South Carolina.
(c) Nashville, Tennessee.
(d) Dallas, Texas.
12. What object does Ruby instruct Ada to create in the chapter, In Place of the Truth?
(a) A scarecrow.
(b) A drawing of a heron.
(c) A bar of soap.
(d) A picnic table.
13. What does Inman say happened in Petersburg?
(a) A group of Indians massacred a Union company.
(b) A group of Confederates ambushed some Federals.
(c) A group of Home Guardsmen murdered a group of deserters.
(d) A group of Federal tunnelers blew up a Confederate company.
14. Who cuts the face of Inman's companion for haggling too much over price?
(a) The inn keeper.
(b) The shopkeeper.
(c) The barkeeper.
(d) The prostitute named Tildy.
15. Why does Inman walk into town?
(a) To show the doctors he is ready to return to his unit.
(b) To buy supplies
(c) To post a letter.
(d) To visit a friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom is the letter Ruby brings Ada in the chapter, In Place of the Truth?
2. How long has Ada lived in Black Cove?
3. What does the farmer insist Inman do with his wife after catching them in a lover's embrace?
4. At whose house did Ada attend her final party in Charleston?
5. What side of the war does Inman fight on?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)