|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Inman believe the person he sees at Deep River is up to no good?
(a) The person blushes when questioned.
(b) The person appears nervous and incoherent.
(c) There is a person bundled up on the back of his horse.
(d) The person has a weapon.
2. What does Ruby talk extensively about as she and Ada walk into town in the chapter, Source and Root?
3. What book does Inman read while in the hospital?
(a) Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.
(b) Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(c) Travels by William Bartram.
(d) Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.
4. What does Ada decide to sell in order to generate some money to help them through winter?
(a) The cabriolet and the hog.
(b) The piano.
(c) A few acres of land and the tabacco crop.
(d) The horse and some coffee.
5. Where is Inman's companion planning on going?
(a) South Carolina.
6. What does the blind man sell outside the hospital?
(a) Medicine and peanuts.
(b) Peanuts and newspapers.
(c) Bibles and hot dogs.
(d) Chestnuts and drawings.
7. Why does Inman become upset about Ada's reaction to his story?
(a) Ada laughs at the story.
(b) Ada calls the story folkloric.
(c) Ada says the story is false.
(d) Ada belittles Inman for believing in the story.
8. What caused Ruby to spend the night in the woods when she is only four?
(a) She is cornered by a mother bear protecting her cub.
(b) She is lost in the dark.
(c) She is injured in a rock slide.
(d) She becomes attached to a blackthorn tree.
9. What does Inman do to the farmer who sold him and Veasey?
(a) Shoots him.
(b) Steals away his wife.
(c) Sends the law to his house.
(d) Clubs him to death with his gun.
10. Where does Inman dream of living one day?
(a) In a big city in the East.
(b) In a cabin high in the moutains.
(c) In the flatlands he is traveling through.
(d) At Black Cove with Ada.
11. Who believes parties are a waste of time and energy?
12. Who comes to Black Cove as Ada and Ruby ready the winter garden?
(a) A group of deserters from Fredricksburg.
(b) The Home Guard.
(c) A group of women and children fleeing the Federals in Tennessee.
(d) The Federals.
13. How does Inman escape his ordeal after leaving the farmer's home?
(a) Inman survives the shooting and is able to cut his restraints with a rock.
(b) Inman and Veasey are rescued by Lila, the farmer's wife.
(c) Inman and Veasey run away in the middle of the night.
(d) Inman and Veasey decide they are better off where they are and do nothing.
14. Why did Monroe not marry Ada's mother when they were both younger?
(a) Her father would not allow the marriage to take place.
(b) He caught her kissing another man.
(c) He did not meet her till they were older.
(d) She was already married to someone else.
15. What story does Ada read to Ruby in the chapter Ashes of Roses?
(a) The Odyssy.
(b) The Tale of the Green Knight.
(c) The Legend of King Arthur and the Round Table.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Veasey believe they should do with the saw?
2. What does Inman say happened in Petersburg?
3. What does Inman do with the preacher?
4. What crime does this farmer believe his wife has committed?
5. Who cuts the face of Inman's companion for haggling too much over price?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)