|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the spell Inman speaks after the fight he is forced into outside the settlement?
(a) To Catch an Ilness.
(b) To End a Life.
(c) To Catch a Theif.
(d) To Destroy Life.
2. What kind of gun does Inman's companion carry?
(a) A LeMat's pistol.
(b) A Whitworth .45 riffle.
(c) A Remington.
(d) A Colt.
3. Why does Inman become upset about Ada's reaction to his story?
(a) Ada calls the story folkloric.
(b) Ada belittles Inman for believing in the story.
(c) Ada says the story is false.
(d) Ada laughs at the story.
4. What contest do Ada and Ruby have one night in the chapter, In Place of the Truth?
(a) A story writing competition.
(b) A hair braiding competition.
(c) A horse riding competition.
(d) A milking competition.
5. What story does Ada read to Ruby in the chapter Ashes of Roses?
(a) The Legend of King Arthur and the Round Table.
(b) The Tale of the Green Knight.
(c) The Odyssy.
6. What does Ada use to construct the item Ruby has told her to create?
(a) An old cart.
(b) Lard from the hog killed earlier in the year.
(c) An old ball gown.
(d) A peice of coal.
7. Who is the woman named Laura that Inman meets in the chapter, Life Any Other Thing, a Gift?
(a) Laura is the woman the preacher has gotten pregnant and wants to kill to hide his indiscretion.
(b) Laura is the sister of a Home Guardsmen who ambushes Inman at Deep River.
(c) Laura is the war widow Inman meets beside Deep River.
(d) Laura is the wife of a farmer Inman helps by cutting up a bull that has died in the river by his farm.
8. Why did Ada believe she was the product of a marriage of convenience?
(a) Because her parents were older when they married.
(b) Because her parents divorced soon after her birth.
(c) Because her father told her she was.
(d) Because her mother told her she was.
9. What type of saw do Inman and Veasey find?
(a) A lumberman's saw.
(b) A sabertooth saw.
(c) A circular saw.
(d) A crosscut saw.
10. Why does Veasey hit his companion over the head in the chapter Exile and Brute Wandering?
(a) Because he refused to pay a prostitute for her services.
(b) Because he attempted to molest a woman on the street.
(c) Because he attempted to rob a shop keeper.
(d) Because he attempted to steal Inman's haversack.
11. Why did Monroe not marry Ada's mother when they were both younger?
(a) Her father would not allow the marriage to take place.
(b) He caught her kissing another man.
(c) She was already married to someone else.
(d) He did not meet her till they were older.
12. Who is Waldo, mentioned in the chapter Ashes of Roses?
(a) A horse.
(b) A hog.
(c) A chicken.
(d) A cow.
13. What does Inman do with the preacher?
(a) Inman leaves him alone in the woods, naked and without a weapon.
(b) Inman knocks him out and runs away while he is unconscious.
(c) Inman turns him over to the local law.
(d) Inman ties him to a tree with a confession written above him.
14. Who invites Inman to join their camp?
(a) A group of deserters hiding from the Home Guard.
(b) A group of fugitives fleeing the Federals in Tennessee.
(c) A group of gypsies downstream from him.
(d) A Confederate army unit.
15. How does Inman attempt to cross the river?
(a) On a small raft someone has left abandoned.
(b) On a ferry.
(c) In a canoe piloted by the daughter of the ferryman.
(d) In a boat he finds tied to a tree on the shore.
Short Answer Questions
1. What text is Balis, Inman's neighbor in the hospital, translating into English?
2. Where was Stobrod the last time Ruby heard of him?
3. From whom is the letter Ruby brings Ada in the chapter, In Place of the Truth?
4. Why does Ruby come to Black Cove?
5. Who is Claire Duchutes?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)