|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to Black Cove as Ada and Ruby ready the winter garden?
(a) A group of deserters from Fredricksburg.
(b) A group of women and children fleeing the Federals in Tennessee.
(c) The Home Guard.
(d) The Federals.
2. What story does Ada read to Ruby in the chapter Ashes of Roses?
(a) The Odyssy.
(b) The Tale of the Green Knight.
(d) The Legend of King Arthur and the Round Table.
3. Where was Stobrod the last time Ruby heard of him?
(a) In prison.
(b) In the Home Guard roaming Cold Mountain.
(c) In the army at Sharpsburg.
(d) In the hospital in Charleston.
4. What is the name of the farmer who invites Inman and Veasey to spend the night at his farm after they help him remove a dead bull from the river?
5. Who attacks Inman as he leaves the area where the settlement was?
(a) Two women and a shopkeeper.
(b) Two women and a blacksmith.
(c) Two men and a blacksmith.
(d) Two men and a prostitute.
6. Why does a preacher believe Inman means to kill him?
(a) Becase the preacher threatened to turn Inman in to the Home Guard.
(b) Because the preacher attempted to kill Inman.
(c) Because the preacher attempted to rob Inman.
(d) Because the preacher attempted to kill an innocent girl to hide his sins.
7. What does Ada find in the basement of her house?
(a) A case of champagne.
(b) A stack of rare books.
(c) A one-hundred pound bag of coffee.
(d) A nest of rats.
8. Why did Monroe not marry Ada's mother when they were both younger?
(a) Her father would not allow the marriage to take place.
(b) He did not meet her till they were older.
(c) He caught her kissing another man.
(d) She was already married to someone else.
9. What does this person who joins Inman in the chapter, Exile and Brute Wandering, tell Inman about what happened to him after their last meeting?
(a) That he was forced out of the Home Guard for being too brutal.
(b) That he was fighting the Federals but decided to return home.
(c) That the townspeople beat him and cut his hair.
(d) That he was robbed of all his possessions and decided to move on.
10. What income did Ada and her father live on?
(a) An inheritance from the family of Ada's mother.
(b) Investments only.
(c) The farm only.
(d) An investment and a small section of the farm.
11. What does the blind man answer when Inman asks if he would like to be able to see for ten minutes?
(a) Yes, especially if he could see a beautiful woman during that time.
(b) No, because it would only leave him angry and bitter.
(c) Yes, but for much longer than ten minutes.
(d) No, because he does not want to see a country that could turn on its brothers.
12. What guards the farms that Inman passes in the flatlands?
(a) Wild humans.
(b) Wild boars.
(c) Wild dogs.
(d) Wild leopards.
13. What does the farmer insist Inman do with his wife after catching them in a lover's embrace?
(a) Marry her.
(b) Kill her.
(c) Kill himself.
(d) Make love to her.
14. What does Ada use to construct the item Ruby has told her to create?
(a) An old ball gown.
(b) A peice of coal.
(c) An old cart.
(d) Lard from the hog killed earlier in the year.
15. What is the name of the spell Inman speaks after the fight he is forced into outside the settlement?
(a) To Catch a Theif.
(b) To Destroy Life.
(c) To Catch an Ilness.
(d) To End a Life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the topic of conversation when Ruby and Ada visit a friend in the chapter Source and Root?
2. Who believes parties are a waste of time and energy?
3. What gun does Inman notice in a settlement where he stops to pick up supplies?
4. Who is the woman named Laura that Inman meets in the chapter, Life Any Other Thing, a Gift?
5. Who invites Inman to join their camp?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)