|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Swimmer and why does Inman think about him after reading the news?
(a) Swimmer is a childhood enemy who is fighting the Federals in Tennessee.
(b) Swimmer is a childhood friend whom Inman believes is with the Home Guard.
(c) Swimmer is a childhood enemy who has married Inman's girl.
(d) Swimmer is a Cherokee friend of Inman's whom he is afraid might be fighting the Federals.
2. What animal does Stobrod claim is Ruby's true father?
(a) A horse.
(b) A bear.
(c) A lion.
(d) A heron.
3. What does Inman say happened in Petersburg?
(a) A group of Federal tunnelers blew up a Confederate company.
(b) A group of Home Guardsmen murdered a group of deserters.
(c) A group of Confederates ambushed some Federals.
(d) A group of Indians massacred a Union company.
4. How does Inman attempt to cross the river?
(a) On a small raft someone has left abandoned.
(b) In a canoe piloted by the daughter of the ferryman.
(c) In a boat he finds tied to a tree on the shore.
(d) On a ferry.
5. Who comes to Ruby's rescue?
(a) A fisherman.
(b) A neighbor.
(c) Her father.
(d) A hunter.
6. Who believes parties are a waste of time and energy?
7. Who joins Inman on his journey in the chapter, Exile and Brute Wandering?
(a) The Home Guardsman, Teague.
(b) The preacher, Solomon Veasey.
(c) The blind man from the military hospital.
(d) His childhood friend, Swimmer.
8. What does Ruby talk extensively about as she and Ada walk into town in the chapter, Source and Root?
9. What type of saw do Inman and Veasey find?
(a) A crosscut saw.
(b) A lumberman's saw.
(c) A sabertooth saw.
(d) A circular saw.
10. What does Ada decide to sell in order to generate some money to help them through winter?
(a) The cabriolet and the hog.
(b) The piano.
(c) The horse and some coffee.
(d) A few acres of land and the tabacco crop.
11. Who tells Ada at a Christmas party that she should marry Inman?
12. At whose house did Ada attend her final party in Charleston?
(a) Her cousin's.
(b) Her best friend.
(c) Her grandparent's.
(d) Her aunt's.
13. Who invites Inman to join their camp?
(a) A Confederate army unit.
(b) A group of fugitives fleeing the Federals in Tennessee.
(c) A group of gypsies downstream from him.
(d) A group of deserters hiding from the Home Guard.
14. What item did Inman find on a battlefield and hide during his medical ordeal?
(a) A picture of an unknown woman.
(b) A LeMat's pistol.
(c) A leather medicine bag.
(d) A Whitworth .45 riffle.
15. Who attacks Inman as he leaves the area where the settlement was?
(a) Two women and a shopkeeper.
(b) Two men and a prostitute.
(c) Two men and a blacksmith.
(d) Two women and a blacksmith.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Claire Duchutes?
2. Why does Ada find herself sitting in Inman's lap?
3. Why does Ruby come to Black Cove?
4. What do Ruby and Ada do when these visitors surprise them at Black Cove while they are preparing the winter garden?
5. What gun does Inman notice in a settlement where he stops to pick up supplies?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)