|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book does Inman read while in the hospital?
(a) Travels by William Bartram.
(b) Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(c) Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.
(d) Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.
2. Where does Inman dream of living one day?
(a) At Black Cove with Ada.
(b) In a cabin high in the moutains.
(c) In a big city in the East.
(d) In the flatlands he is traveling through.
3. What does the blind man sell outside the hospital?
(a) Bibles and hot dogs.
(b) Peanuts and newspapers.
(c) Chestnuts and drawings.
(d) Medicine and peanuts.
4. What is the name of the spell Inman speaks after the fight he is forced into outside the settlement?
(a) To End a Life.
(b) To Catch an Ilness.
(c) To Destroy Life.
(d) To Catch a Theif.
5. How long has Ada lived in Black Cove?
(a) Sixty years.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) Six years.
(d) Six months.
6. Who is Swimmer and why does Inman think about him after reading the news?
(a) Swimmer is a childhood enemy who has married Inman's girl.
(b) Swimmer is a childhood enemy who is fighting the Federals in Tennessee.
(c) Swimmer is a childhood friend whom Inman believes is with the Home Guard.
(d) Swimmer is a Cherokee friend of Inman's whom he is afraid might be fighting the Federals.
7. What type of saw do Inman and Veasey find?
(a) A circular saw.
(b) A sabertooth saw.
(c) A lumberman's saw.
(d) A crosscut saw.
8. Who attacks Inman as he leaves the area where the settlement was?
(a) Two women and a blacksmith.
(b) Two men and a blacksmith.
(c) Two women and a shopkeeper.
(d) Two men and a prostitute.
9. Why did Monroe not marry Ada's mother when they were both younger?
(a) He did not meet her till they were older.
(b) He caught her kissing another man.
(c) Her father would not allow the marriage to take place.
(d) She was already married to someone else.
10. Why does Ruby come to Black Cove?
(a) Ruby wants to offer her services to Ada.
(b) Ruby wants to befriend Ada.
(c) Ruby wants to buy Black Cove.
(d) Ruby wants to buy Ada's animals.
11. Who invites Inman to join their camp?
(a) A group of fugitives fleeing the Federals in Tennessee.
(b) A group of deserters hiding from the Home Guard.
(c) A group of gypsies downstream from him.
(d) A Confederate army unit.
12. What does Veasey believe they should do with the saw?
(a) Give it to a farmer in need.
(b) Trade it for food.
(c) Sell it for money.
(d) Use it to murder a prostitute who crossed them.
13. From whom is the letter Ruby brings Ada in the chapter, In Place of the Truth?
(c) A solicitor.
(d) Her cousin.
14. What does Ada find in the basement of her house?
(a) A nest of rats.
(b) A stack of rare books.
(c) A one-hundred pound bag of coffee.
(d) A case of champagne.
15. Which general does Inman claim he prefers?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Inman wake in the opening scene of The Shadow of a Crow?
2. What kind of food does Inman find in the chapter Exile and Brute Wandering?
3. Where does Ruby live while helping Ada at Black Cove?
4. Where is Inman's companion planning on going?
5. Why does a preacher believe Inman means to kill him?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)