|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does this person who joins Inman in the chapter, Exile and Brute Wandering, tell Inman about what happened to him after their last meeting?
(a) That the townspeople beat him and cut his hair.
(b) That he was forced out of the Home Guard for being too brutal.
(c) That he was fighting the Federals but decided to return home.
(d) That he was robbed of all his possessions and decided to move on.
2. Who joins Inman on his journey in the chapter, Exile and Brute Wandering?
(a) His childhood friend, Swimmer.
(b) The preacher, Solomon Veasey.
(c) The Home Guardsman, Teague.
(d) The blind man from the military hospital.
3. What does Veasey believe they should do with the saw?
(a) Trade it for food.
(b) Sell it for money.
(c) Give it to a farmer in need.
(d) Use it to murder a prostitute who crossed them.
4. Why did Monroe not marry Ada's mother when they were both younger?
(a) He caught her kissing another man.
(b) Her father would not allow the marriage to take place.
(c) He did not meet her till they were older.
(d) She was already married to someone else.
5. What does the blind man sell outside the hospital?
(a) Medicine and peanuts.
(b) Bibles and hot dogs.
(c) Chestnuts and drawings.
(d) Peanuts and newspapers.
6. What did Ada's father often preach about during church services?
(a) Why man is doomed to failure.
(b) Why man is born to die.
(c) Why man is burdened with free will.
(d) Why man was created.
7. What book does Inman read while in the hospital?
(a) Travels by William Bartram.
(b) Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain.
(c) Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(d) Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.
8. What kind of food does Inman find in the chapter Exile and Brute Wandering?
(a) Fresh deer meat.
(b) Cheese and chicken.
(c) Honey and catfish.
(d) A fresh vegetable garden.
9. Where was Stobrod the last time Ruby heard of him?
(a) In the army at Sharpsburg.
(b) In the hospital in Charleston.
(c) In prison.
(d) In the Home Guard roaming Cold Mountain.
10. How is Teague dressed?
(a) Like a law man.
(b) Like a mountain man.
(c) Like a preacher.
(d) Like a soldier.
11. Who does Inman meet who is in search of a slave he fell in love with on his father's prosperous farm?
12. What confession does the person Inman meets at Deep River make?
(a) That she has run away from her husband with all the family money.
(b) That he has impregnanted a woman not his fiancee.
(c) That she has killed her husband.
(d) That he has stolen food from a nearby store.
13. Who was Monroe's favorite poet?
14. What is the name of the spell Inman speaks after the fight he is forced into outside the settlement?
(a) To Destroy Life.
(b) To Catch an Ilness.
(c) To Catch a Theif.
(d) To End a Life.
15. What do Ruby and Ada have in common?
(a) They were both raised without mothers.
(b) They are both rich, spoiled young women.
(c) They are both well educated.
(d) They are both orphans.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who believes parties are a waste of time and energy?
2. What does Inman say happened in Petersburg?
3. Why does a neighbor have such a grudge against Stobrod that he often shoots at him when he passes his farm?
4. What does Inman do with the preacher?
5. Who comes to Black Cove as Ada and Ruby ready the winter garden?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)