|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Ada and her father move to Cold Mountain?
(a) Ada's father had tuberculosis.
(b) Ada had tuberculosis.
(c) Ada's mother had tuberculosis.
(d) Ada's grandfather had tuberculosis.
2. Who attacks Inman as he leaves the area where the settlement was?
(a) Two men and a prostitute.
(b) Two women and a blacksmith.
(c) Two men and a blacksmith.
(d) Two women and a shopkeeper.
3. What is the name of the spell Inman speaks after the fight he is forced into outside the settlement?
(a) To Destroy Life.
(b) To End a Life.
(c) To Catch an Ilness.
(d) To Catch a Theif.
4. Who believes parties are a waste of time and energy?
5. Who is Waldo, mentioned in the chapter Ashes of Roses?
(a) A cow.
(b) A horse.
(c) A chicken.
(d) A hog.
6. Who invites Inman to join their camp?
(a) A group of fugitives fleeing the Federals in Tennessee.
(b) A group of gypsies downstream from him.
(c) A Confederate army unit.
(d) A group of deserters hiding from the Home Guard.
7. What story does Ada recall Inman telling her?
(a) The story of his birth and early childhood.
(b) How Swimmer once taught him a spell called To Cause Grave Illness.
(c) An Indian story about the origins of Cold Mountain.
(d) An Indian story about a tribe's inability to enter the hidden room behind Shining Rock.
8. What does Inman take with him when he leaves the hospital at the end of the first chapter?
(a) Inman takes his readied haversack and a picture he admired that belonged to his now dead neighbor.
(b) Inman takes his readied haversack and the manuscript Balis was working on.
(c) Inman takes a book and money he took from his neighbor who has died.
(d) Inman takes nothing but a change of clothes.
9. What guards the farms that Inman passes in the flatlands?
(a) Wild dogs.
(b) Wild humans.
(c) Wild leopards.
(d) Wild boars.
10. How long has Ada lived in Black Cove?
(a) Sixty years.
(b) Six years.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) Six months.
11. What kind of gun does Inman's companion carry?
(a) A Colt.
(b) A Remington.
(c) A Whitworth .45 riffle.
(d) A LeMat's pistol.
12. What does this person who joins Inman in the chapter, Exile and Brute Wandering, tell Inman about what happened to him after their last meeting?
(a) That the townspeople beat him and cut his hair.
(b) That he was robbed of all his possessions and decided to move on.
(c) That he was fighting the Federals but decided to return home.
(d) That he was forced out of the Home Guard for being too brutal.
13. Who does Inman meet who is in search of a slave he fell in love with on his father's prosperous farm?
14. What happens to Veasey and Inman after they leave the farmer's home?
(a) They are placed in a new army regiment.
(b) They are forced to pledge allegiance to the Union.
(c) They are put in jail.
(d) They are shot by the Home Guard.
15. What does the blind man answer when Inman asks if he would like to be able to see for ten minutes?
(a) No, because it would only leave him angry and bitter.
(b) Yes, especially if he could see a beautiful woman during that time.
(c) No, because he does not want to see a country that could turn on its brothers.
(d) Yes, but for much longer than ten minutes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Inman say happened in Petersburg?
2. Where does Inman dream of living one day?
3. What character in the story Ada reads to Ruby does Ruby believe resembles her father?
4. What type of saw do Inman and Veasey find?
5. What happens to Inman after he drinks some fluid Lila gave him?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)