|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through "Source and Root".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Monroe not marry Ada's mother when they were both younger?
(a) She was already married to someone else.
(b) Her father would not allow the marriage to take place.
(c) He did not meet her till they were older.
(d) He caught her kissing another man.
2. What does Ruby suggest Ada sell to generate some money to help them survive the winter?
(a) Either the piano or the cabriolet.
(b) Either the house or a few acres of land.
(c) Either the coffee or the tabacco crop.
(d) Either the hog or the horse.
3. Who arrives while Ada and Ruby listen to the prisoner yelling from his second story prison cell?
(a) The Home Guard.
(b) The Federals.
(c) The sheriff.
(d) A Confederate military company.
4. How does Inman attempt to cross the river?
(a) In a boat he finds tied to a tree on the shore.
(b) On a ferry.
(c) In a canoe piloted by the daughter of the ferryman.
(d) On a small raft someone has left abandoned.
5. What does Inman take with him when he leaves the hospital at the end of the first chapter?
(a) Inman takes his readied haversack and a picture he admired that belonged to his now dead neighbor.
(b) Inman takes a book and money he took from his neighbor who has died.
(c) Inman takes nothing but a change of clothes.
(d) Inman takes his readied haversack and the manuscript Balis was working on.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Inman do to help Laura?
2. What vision does Ada see when Esco encourages her to look backwards down a well in a mirror?
3. Who joins Inman on his journey in the chapter, Exile and Brute Wandering?
4. What guards the farms that Inman passes in the flatlands?
5. What confession does the person Inman meets at Deep River make?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)