|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through "Life Any Other Thing, a Gift".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Inman take with him when he leaves the hospital at the end of the first chapter?
(a) Inman takes a book and money he took from his neighbor who has died.
(b) Inman takes his readied haversack and a picture he admired that belonged to his now dead neighbor.
(c) Inman takes his readied haversack and the manuscript Balis was working on.
(d) Inman takes nothing but a change of clothes.
2. Who is Swimmer and why does Inman think about him after reading the news?
(a) Swimmer is a childhood enemy who has married Inman's girl.
(b) Swimmer is a childhood friend whom Inman believes is with the Home Guard.
(c) Swimmer is a Cherokee friend of Inman's whom he is afraid might be fighting the Federals.
(d) Swimmer is a childhood enemy who is fighting the Federals in Tennessee.
3. Why does Inman believe the person he sees at Deep River is up to no good?
(a) The person appears nervous and incoherent.
(b) There is a person bundled up on the back of his horse.
(c) The person blushes when questioned.
(d) The person has a weapon.
4. Who invites Inman to join their camp?
(a) A group of fugitives fleeing the Federals in Tennessee.
(b) A Confederate army unit.
(c) A group of deserters hiding from the Home Guard.
(d) A group of gypsies downstream from him.
5. What text is Balis, Inman's neighbor in the hospital, translating into English?
(a) A Latin text.
(b) A Greek text.
(c) A French text.
(d) A Spanish text.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ada find in the basement of her house?
2. Where does Inman dream of living one day?
3. What is the purpose of the spell Inman speaks?
4. Who is the woman named Laura that Inman meets in the chapter, Life Any Other Thing, a Gift?
5. What does Ruby suggest Ada sell to generate some money to help them survive the winter?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)