|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through "The Color of Despair".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Ada and her father move to Cold Mountain?
(a) Ada's grandfather had tuberculosis.
(b) Ada had tuberculosis.
(c) Ada's mother had tuberculosis.
(d) Ada's father had tuberculosis.
2. What skill does Ada not have that she might need to survive on her own?
(a) Ada cannot cook.
(b) Ada cannot sew.
(c) Ada cannot milk a cow.
(d) Ada cannot grow vegetables.
3. What did Ada's father often preach about during church services?
(a) Why man is doomed to failure.
(b) Why man is born to die.
(c) Why man was created.
(d) Why man is burdened with free will.
4. What does Inman read about in the newspaper while in town?
(a) About the attacks by Federals against women and children in Tennessee.
(b) About the Home Guard and the Cherokees fighting the Federals.
(c) About the death of a dear friend in the war.
(d) About the most recent battles in the war.
5. Who is Swimmer and why does Inman think about him after reading the news?
(a) Swimmer is a childhood friend whom Inman believes is with the Home Guard.
(b) Swimmer is a childhood enemy who has married Inman's girl.
(c) Swimmer is a childhood enemy who is fighting the Federals in Tennessee.
(d) Swimmer is a Cherokee friend of Inman's whom he is afraid might be fighting the Federals.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ruby come to Black Cove?
2. What does Inman take with him when he leaves the hospital at the end of the first chapter?
3. Why does Ada decide not to return to Charleston after her father's death?
4. Where did Inman meet Ada for the first time?
5. What gun does Inman notice in a settlement where he stops to pick up supplies?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)