|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Holly's overriding emotion when she saves Norby?
2. How does Tommy describe life?
3. Why does Jim not enter the motor home at first?
4. What has unmatchable purity?
5. What can a master viniculturist do exceptionally well?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Jim's appearance in Holly's dream?
2. How does Holly manage to get on Jim's flight?
3. What does Holly learn from Viola Moreno?
4. What does Jim decide to do?
5. What happens once Holly is inside Jim's home?
6. Why is Jim not going to church?
7. What new danger emerges after the landing?
8. What happens to Jim when he arrives home from Boston?
9. How does he manage to escape?
10. What did Jim do after teaching?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the narrative's setting. What is the impact of it being set in the world of today? Why does the author choose the modern world as a setting? What might have been different in the book if it had been written in the past, future, or a fantasy setting?
Essay Topic 2
If the book were made into a film, how would Koontz's style of narrative be reflected in film? Would the book make a good film?
Essay Topic 3
The story, "Cold Fire", is written along two different narrative lines, each from the point of view of a different character. Why do you think Koontz chose to write the story this way? How do you think the story would of changed if it was written from only one perspective?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)