|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what is Adam in shock?
2. Who promises to secure invitations to the Hawk-Monitor's
3. What does Flora think is going on with Richard's mother?
4. What book does Flora consult for advice?
5. What does Aunt Ada Doom want for breakfast on the day of the wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you think Flora is feeling by the end of the wedding?
2. How is Aunt Ada Doom's manipulative efforts symbolic of the change that is occurring to the Starkadder clan?
3. What fairy tale does Elfine's debut at the dance seem most like?
4. What does Flora give Elfine to help her and do you think it will?
5. Do you think Aunt Ada Doom is "doomed" to misery?
6. What is Flora's next tidying-up project and how does she start it?
7. What convinces Flora that there is more to Seth than meets the eye and what does it seem she will do about him?
8. What does Dr. Mudel suggest to "fix" Judith Starkadder and what do you think is Judith's fixation that is causing problems?
9. What does Flora ask Aunt Ada Doom about Flora's father and what is the answer?
10. What might be the symbolizes of the lights being on when Seth, Elfine and Flora return to Cold Comfort Farm from the ball?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Flora Poste is introduced in Chapter 1 and appears in every subsequent chapter. She is the main character and protagonist of the novel. Discuss the following:
1. What is the definition of "protagonist" as it pertains to literary criticism?
2. Do you agree that Flora Poste is the protagonist of this novel? Why or why not? Give examples from the text.
3. Do you think Flora is a sympathetic character? At the beginning of the book? By the end of the book? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
There are several other important themes in COLD COMFORT FARM. Discuss one of the following:
1. Discuss the theme of self-determination. Give clear and detailed examples.
2. Discuss the theme of rural life versus urban life. Give clear and detailed examples.
3. Discuss the theme of manipulation. Give clear and detailed examples.
Essay Topic 3
If there is a manipulator, there has to be those who are manipulated. Discuss the following:
1. What are some of the ways Aunt Ada Doom manipulates her family? Give specific examples.
2. Why do you think the family allows themselves to be manipulated? Discuss several of the main characters specifically.
3. Why is Aunt Ada Doom not able to manipulate Flora Poste? Why does Aunt Ada Doom believe she cannot manipulate Flora?
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)