|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what must Flora never ask Aunt Judith Starkadder?
2. Why does Reuben eye Flora with some hostility?
3. How do Flora and Adam drive back to Cold Comfort?
4. At first, what request from Flora does Miriam refuse?
5. Upon what course of action does Flora decide?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miriam react to Flora's information about birth control and how is that reaction a reversal of roles between her and her mother?
2. What does Flora realize she will have to do if she is going to fix the lives of the Starkadders?
3. What demonstrates Judith's rather bizarre attachment to her son, Seth?
4. Give a brief description of Cold Comfort Farm.
5. How does Amos's preaching lend itself well to his becoming a traveling evangelist?
6. What does Mrs. Beetle tell Flora about her grandchildren and what is Flora's reaction?
7. What self-imposed task seems next to impossible once Flora is confronted with the realities of Cold Comfort Farm?
8. What surprises Flora about Mrs. Beetle and how do you interpret Flora's reaction to Mrs. Beetle?
9. Who is the other Starkadder Flora is beginning to mold in this chapter and what seems to be Flora's plan?
10. What do you think it says about Flora's personality that she thinks Mr. Mybug will undoubtedly fall in love with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Upon Flora's arrival at Cold Comfort Farm, she almost immediately takes on the task of "tidying up" some of her Starkadder relatives. Choose one of the following:
1. Discuss how Flora "fixes" Seth and Reuben. Do you think the two men will be happier with the changes in their lives? Why or why not? Would you have chosen the same solutions? Why or why not?
2. Discuss how Flora "fixes" Amos and Judith. Do you think the two will be happier with the changes in their lives? Why or why not? Would you have chosen the same solutions? Why or why not?
3. Discuss how Flora "fixes" Elfine and Aunt Ada Doom. Do you think the two women will be happier with the changes in their lives? Why or why not? Would you have chosen the same solutions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The setting for this novel is primarily around Sussex, England, in the 1930s. Discuss the following:
1. Research the setting of Sussex and write a brief description of the area, its climate, the primary means of livelihood, and its location within the island of Britain.
2. Do you think Sussex is a good choice for the setting of this novel? Why or why not?
4. How different do you think the Sussex of the 1930's is from the Sussex of today? Explain some differences and similarities.
5. Examine three scenes in the novel and explain how the setting influences what happens in the action of those scenes.
Essay Topic 3
Chapter 3 gives an overview of Cold Comfort Farm and some of the main characters of the farm. Discuss the following:
1. What is a Gothic Novel? Give examples.
2. Though COLD COMFORT FARM is not fully a Gothic Novel, what elements in the novel are ones you might find in a Gothic novel? Give examples.
3. Do you think the Gothic elements in the novel add to the novel's purpose? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)