|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary believe about Flora's proposed move to the farm in Sussex?
2. How does Flora decide to answer Seth?
3. What does Adam tell Flora about Cold Comfort Farm?
4. What are the predominant building materials of the farm?
5. What is Mr. Mybug's real name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give a brief description of Cold Comfort Farm.
2. What does Flora learn about Seth and how does she plan to use this information?
3. If you were Miriam and had just delivered a baby, how would you feel about being asked to go wash curtains? Do you think this scene could have any other significance?
4. Why is Flora Poste trying to make a decision about her future?
5. What does Flora realize she will have to do if she is going to fix the lives of the Starkadders?
6. What do you think the postcard Flora receives might mean?
7. What is Flora's solution to her situation?
8. Describe Flora's conversation with Reuben about Cold Comfort Farm; do you think Flora is sincere?
9. To which relatives does Flora write?
10. What would be an apt title for this chapter and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Comedy is often a part of a parody or satire. Chapter 8 is probably one of the most comedic scenes in the novel. Discuss the following:
1. Who is the Church of the Quivering Brethren? Do you think this church is parodying a "real-life" religion? Which one(s)? Why? Give examples.
2. What does the scene in the church add to the parody as a whole? Is this scene necessary to the storyline? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think comedy often is an integral part of a parody or satire? What purpose does it serve? Is the comedic scene at the Church of the Quivering Brethren successful as comedy? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Chapter 3 gives an overview of Cold Comfort Farm and some of the main characters of the farm. Discuss the following:
1. What is a Gothic Novel? Give examples.
2. Though COLD COMFORT FARM is not fully a Gothic Novel, what elements in the novel are ones you might find in a Gothic novel? Give examples.
3. Do you think the Gothic elements in the novel add to the novel's purpose? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
There are several other important themes in COLD COMFORT FARM. Discuss one of the following:
1. Discuss the theme of self-determination. Give clear and detailed examples.
2. Discuss the theme of rural life versus urban life. Give clear and detailed examples.
3. Discuss the theme of manipulation. Give clear and detailed examples.
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)