|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Flora take an indirect train route to Howling?
2. Why does Flora have trouble getting to know Amos better?
3. How does Seth enter the room?
4. What does Adam tell Flora about Cold Comfort Farm?
5. Of what does Amos accuse Flora?
Short Essay Questions
1. What shows how strongly Flora thinks she is Cold Comfort Farm's guide to sanity?
2. What is ironic about Amos calling Flora "a fornicator"?
3. What do you think is the significance of Adam calling Flora "Robert Poste's child" in their few exchanges?
4. What do you think the postcard Flora receives might mean?
5. What surprises Flora about Mrs. Beetle and how do you interpret Flora's reaction to Mrs. Beetle?
6. Briefly characterize each of the main Starkadders introduced in Chapter 3.
7. What is Flora's solution to her situation?
8. To which relatives does Flora write?
9. How does Miriam react to Flora's information about birth control and how is that reaction a reversal of roles between her and her mother?
10. Describe what Flora learns at her first breakfast at Cold Comfort Farm. What do you think might pique Flora's interest in what she learns?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Some readers might argue that Flora is an empathetic character despite her meddling ways. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to be an empathetic character? Give examples from other books/stories you have read.
2. Do you think Flora is an empathetic character? Why or why not? Give examples to support your stance.
3. If Flora is an empathetic character, does this make her meddling more honorable or justifiable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
If there is a manipulator, there has to be those who are manipulated. Discuss the following:
1. What are some of the ways Aunt Ada Doom manipulates her family? Give specific examples.
2. Why do you think the family allows themselves to be manipulated? Discuss several of the main characters specifically.
3. Why is Aunt Ada Doom not able to manipulate Flora Poste? Why does Aunt Ada Doom believe she cannot manipulate Flora?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 11, we first see the idea of the Pygmalion effect (or the Rosenthal effect). Discuss the following?
1. Who is Pygmalion in Greek Legend?
2. What is the Pygmalion effect (or sometimes called the Rosenthal effect)? What does this psychological phenomenon have to do with the Pygmalion of Greek myth?
3. Discuss Seth and Elfine and how the Pygmalion effect is relevant to their lives.
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)