|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Viper?
2. For what is Mrs. Beetle raising her grandchildren?
3. Where does Flora go?
4. Who offers to rescue Flora in his plane?
5. With whom is Flora going to stay temporarily?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the twig which Adam uses to wash dishes perhaps symbolic of Adam as a man?
2. If you were Miriam and had just delivered a baby, how would you feel about being asked to go wash curtains? Do you think this scene could have any other significance?
3. What shows how strongly Flora thinks she is Cold Comfort Farm's guide to sanity?
4. What is Flora's solution to her situation?
5. What does Flora learn about Seth and how does she plan to use this information?
6. What do you think the postcard Flora receives might mean?
7. What do you think is the significance of Adam calling Flora "Robert Poste's child" in their few exchanges?
8. What self-imposed task seems next to impossible once Flora is confronted with the realities of Cold Comfort Farm?
9. To which relatives does Flora write?
10. Who is the other Starkadder Flora is beginning to mold in this chapter and what seems to be Flora's plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Just as COLD COMFORT FARM is a parody of naturalistic literature, so Mr. "Mybug" (Meyerburg) is a parody of the smug literary writer. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss Mr. "Mybug's" character fully. Is he a likeable character? A sympathetic character? Does he change?
2. How do you think Meyerburg's discussion of sexuality in nature adds to the novel as a parody of naturalism in literature? Discuss specific examples.
3. What do you think of Mr. Meyerburg's thesis about Branwell Bronte? Do you think there is any validity to his assertions? Why or why not? (This may require a little research into the Bronte family).
4. Does Meyerburg's literary aspirations create more or less respect for him as a character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Flora Poste is introduced in Chapter 1 and appears in every subsequent chapter. She is the main character and protagonist of the novel. Discuss the following:
1. What is the definition of "protagonist" as it pertains to literary criticism?
2. Do you agree that Flora Poste is the protagonist of this novel? Why or why not? Give examples from the text.
3. Do you think Flora is a sympathetic character? At the beginning of the book? By the end of the book? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
COLD COMFORT FARM is a parody of late eighteenth/early nineteenth century naturalism literature, such as novels by D.H. Lawrence and Thomas Hardy. Discuss the following:
1. What is the definition of naturalism literature? Give several examples.
2. How does this novel parody naturalism literature?
3. Do you think this is an effective parody? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)