|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who promises to secure invitations to the Hawk-Monitor's
(a) Claud Hart-Harris.
2. Why does Aunt Ada Doom say they must get on with the feast?
(a) Because Elfine and Richard will want to be getting on with the best part of the marriage.
(b) Because a plane is picking her up in about an hour.
(c) Because the rental equipment has to be back by 5.
(d) Because she is starving.
3. From where does Flora think there will be opposition to Elfine's choice?
(a) Amos only.
(b) The Starkadder family.
(c) Only Aunt Ada Doom
(d) No one as they will think Elfine is moving upwards in class.
4. What does Aunt Ada Doom decide to do which is out of character?
(a) Tell Elfine she can marry Richard.
(b) Help Judith do the yearly ceremony.
(c) Go downstairs.
(d) Let Flora decide who she wants to marry.
5. What does Flora throw herself into doing?
(a) Finding Amos a job.
(b) Saving money so she can get off the farm.
(c) Learning all aspects of farm life.
(d) Changing Elfine into a "society" type.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Flora consult for advice?
2. What day is it at the opening to this chapter?
3. Which Starkadder does Flora encounter in Howling?
4. What does Flora want to know from Aunt Ada Doom?
5. What does Mr. Neck say the woodshed line is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the sukebind?
2. How is Aunt Ada Doom's manipulative efforts symbolic of the change that is occurring to the Starkadder clan?
3. How are Seth's life and Elfine's life similar?
4. What might be the symbolizes of the lights being on when Seth, Elfine and Flora return to Cold Comfort Farm from the ball?
5. Whose perspective does chapter 14 begin with and what may it portend?
6. What do you think is the symbolic meaning of Flora having the sukebind removed?
7. What is Flora's next tidying-up project and how does she start it?
8. What actually produces an emotional response from Flora (as opposed to her usual practical nature) and how does Flora deal with the situation?
9. How do you think Flora is feeling by the end of the wedding?
10. What do you think it says about Dick that he has decided to ask Elfine to marry him after she has made herself gorgeous?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)