|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Flora want to know from Aunt Ada Doom?
(a) What she really saw in the woodshed.
(b) Why Aunt Ada Doom wasted her life.
(d) How Flora's father was wronged.
2. What does Aunt Ada Doom decide to do which is out of character?
(a) Let Flora decide who she wants to marry.
(b) Help Judith do the yearly ceremony.
(c) Go downstairs.
(d) Tell Elfine she can marry Richard.
3. How will the nest with four pink eggs help Elfine?
(a) It will help her have four children.
(b) They will remind her of her days of whimsy.
(c) They will reflect back her lovliness to Richard.
(d) They are Faberge eggs and worth much money.
4. Why does Seth rush off?
(a) He wants to meet some woman in the village.
(b) He is chasing the bull that got out of the pasture.
(c) Because he has to catch a train.
(d) So he is not detained by Aunt Ada Doom.
5. What does not calm Flora?
(a) Reading Pensees.
(b) Having a glass of sherry.
(c) Breathing slowly.
(d) Seeing how beautiful Elfine looks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of what Aunt Ada Doom has called?
2. How is Elfine's entrance onto the ballroom floor?
3. Who is the woman in a grand leather flying kit?
4. Who is with Aunt Ada Doom?
5. Who sends a postcard full of enthusiasm to Cold Comfort Farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Aunt Ada Doom's appearance and behavior in the downstairs when Flora and the others walk in after the ball.
2. Do you think Aunt Ada Doom is "doomed" to misery?
3. How are Seth's life and Elfine's life similar?
4. What is the parallel between Flora and Mr. Neck?
5. What is ironic about the scene with Urk and Miriam?
6. What actually produces an emotional response from Flora (as opposed to her usual practical nature) and how does Flora deal with the situation?
7. What do you think is the symbolic meaning of Flora having the sukebind removed?
8. What might be the symbolizes of the lights being on when Seth, Elfine and Flora return to Cold Comfort Farm from the ball?
9. Whose perspective does chapter 14 begin with and what may it portend?
10. How do you think the situation with Flora and the bull is symbolic of Flora with the lives of the Starkadders?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)