|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Aunt Judith Starkadder refer in her letter?
(a) A need to know exactly who Flora is.
(b) A problem with pigs in the house.
(c) A great wrong done to Flora's father.
(d) A problem with bats in the belfry.
2. What does Flora want to do?
(a) Get a job as a nanny overseas.
(b) Go to Hollywood and try to get in the silent films.
(c) Join a convent.
(d) Give relatives her monthly stipend in exchange for room and board.
3. What does Mr. Mybug wish to prove?
(a) That Emily Bronte and Branwell had an affair.
(b) That Emily Bronte and Branwell were not actually siblings.
(c) That Branwell Bronte wrote the books for which his sister receive credit.
(d) That Branwell Bronte did not die young as history states.
4. Why does Flora take an indirect train route to Howling?
(a) She made a mistake when she booked her route.
(b) She wants time to back out if she changes her mind.
(c) She wants to see the country around there.
(d) There is no direct way to get to Howling.
5. In what shape is the farm layout?
Short Answer Questions
1. For what is Mrs. Beetle raising her grandchildren?
2. Why does Flora have trouble getting to know Amos better?
3. How does Seth enter the room?
4. Where is the primary setting for this novel?
5. How long has it been since old Mrs. Starkadder has left her room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would be an apt title for this chapter and why?
2. What is the meaning of the word parody?
3. Briefly characterize each of the main Starkadders introduced in Chapter 3.
4. Describe Flora's conversation with Reuben about Cold Comfort Farm; do you think Flora is sincere?
5. Which reply from the relatives seems most intriguing and why?
6. How does Adam try to get out of picking up Flora and what is the outcome?
7. What is a probable foreshadowing in this chapter and why do you think so?
8. Why is Flora frustrated about her time at Cold Comfort Farm and do you think she is being unrealistic in her expectations?
9. To which relatives does Flora write?
10. What does Flora learn about Seth and how does she plan to use this information?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)