Essay Topic 1
The setting for this novel is primarily around Sussex, England, in the 1930s. Discuss the following:
1. Research the setting of Sussex and write a brief description of the area, its climate, the primary means of livelihood, and its location within the island of Britain.
2. Do you think Sussex is a good choice for the setting of this novel? Why or why not?
4. How different do you think the Sussex of the 1930's is from the Sussex of today? Explain some differences and similarities.
5. Examine three scenes in the novel and explain how the setting influences what happens in the action of those scenes.
Essay Topic 2
COLD COMFORT FARM is a parody of late eighteenth/early nineteenth century naturalism literature, such as novels by D.H. Lawrence and Thomas Hardy. Discuss the following:
1. What is the definition of naturalism literature? Give several examples.
2. How does this novel...
This section contains 1,859 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)