• COLD COMFORT FARM is set primarily in Sussex, England in the 1930s.
• Chapter One introduces Flora Poste, whose parents have recently died, leaving her with only one hundred pounds a year.
• Flora goes to stay with her childhood friend, Mary Smiling, a wealthy widow, in London.
• Flora decides she will find relatives to stay with in exchange for her hundred pounds a year.
• Flora will change the relatives to suit her needs and then find a man to marry.
• Flora and Mary dine out with two gentlemen, including Flora's second cousin Charles, who is planning to become a parson.
• Charles offers to rescue Flora in his plane if her plan to stay with relatives doesn't work out.
• Flora has an obvious affection toward Charles but is determined and plans to write letters to her relatives the next day.
• Flora writes to a bachelor uncle in Scotland...
This section contains 2,355 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)