|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Queenie always say when the Nazis refer to her as English?
2. What were Admiral Nelson's last words, according to Queenie?
3. What does the ATA stand for?
4. What does Maddie eat at Queenie's home in Part II?
5. Who comforts Maddie after she is fired upon for the first time in a plane?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Queenie write that she is a coward in Part I?
2. What does Queenie seem to think of Anna Engel?
3. What visual effect do Dympna and Maddie witness in Part II in the plane?
4. What is Maddie's most prized possession as a young woman living with her grandfather?
5. How do Maddie and Queenie first meet?
6. What can Queenie hear when she is a Gestapo prisoner in France?
7. What happens to Jamie in Part II?
8. What does Maddie say discovering your best friend can be like?
9. What is Castle Craig partially used for in Part II?
10. What does Von Linden seem to enjoy talking with Queenie about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Wein handle the topic of torture on the part of the Gestapo in this novel? Write an essay explaining your answers, citing specific references to the text to help support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
How and why does Julie get recruited to become an SOE officer, and how does Maddie feel about Julie's new work for the British Army? Write an essay explaining your answers.
Essay Topic 3
How does Maddie's perception of Julie change from the time she first meets Julie to the end of the novel, and what factors, events and/or conversations contribute to this change?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)