|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Nazis wash Queenie's hair with?
2. Who comes in to post as a German air radio operator in Part I for the British?
3. What happens when Queenie is sent to help in the kitchens while being held at Ormaie?
4. What plane does the training officer ask Maddie in Part I if she would like to try flying while she is at Oakway?
5. What is Von Linden's title?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Maddie say discovering your best friend can be like?
2. What does Queenie seem to think of Anna Engel?
3. Who acts as a sort of piloting mentor to Maddie and how does Maddie meet this person?
4. What can Queenie hear when she is a Gestapo prisoner in France?
5. How does Queenie get herself and Maddie a wonderful meal at a farmhouse in Part II?
6. What happens to Jamie in Part II?
7. What is one complication with Queenie's identification papers in Part I?
8. What does Von Linden seem to enjoy talking with Queenie about?
9. What deal does Queenie make with Von Linden in Part I?
10. What is Maddie's most prized possession as a young woman living with her grandfather?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How and when does Wein use humor throughout the novel to diffuse or soften tense or uncomfortable situations or subject matter? Write an essay explaining your answers, citing specific references to the text to help support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
How does Wein use Paul's character to demonstrate one very specific regard in which women serving in the British Army had to deal with inappropriate treatment? How does Wein manage to craft Paul into a nuanced character rather than a straight, one-dimensional villain? Write an essay explaining your answers, citing specific references to the text to help support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay discussing how and why Anna Engel is a pivotal character in this novel, citing specific references to the text to help support your conclusions.
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)