|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1881, a shipyard in Hull built a steam-powered trawler called the _____.
2. The 19th-century debate over longlining seemed to have been fueled by _____.
3. Johann Sigurjonsson is _____ of the Marine Research Institute in Iceland.
4. What is a lost net that can continue to fish for as long as five years called?
5. In the quota system, groundfish are killed being hauled up do to _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to many British and German trawlers during the second Cod War?
2. What skills did fishermen learn in the wake of the imposition of 200-mile zones?
3. Why did Icelanders rejoice in the addition of the 12-mile limit zone around their country?
4. How did the invention of filleting machinery change New England's cod fishing industry?
5. What effect did the term "scrod" have on consumer's perspective on fish?
6. Why was the British Royal Navy reluctant to send combat ships to deal with Iceland during the second Cod War?
7. Why did Icelandic Coast Guard vessels withstand enemy attacks in the second cod war?
8. Why did it take over seventy years for Europeans to convert their cod fishing fleets to engine power?
9. How were the Icelandic Coast Guard ships during the Cod Wars armed and manned?
10. What is pair fishing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did cod as a world food staple perpetuate slavery in the 17th century? Which countries were involved? What other industry was involved?
Essay Topic 2
Describe dory fishing. What are some of its dangers? What are some of the legendary tales of the feats of dorymen?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Cod Wars. What events led up to the Cod Wars? What effect did they have on the cod fishing industry?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)