|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Most Icelandic towns have a population under _____ people.
2. In 1995, a system was initiated to restrict the total cod catch to _____ percent of the estimated stock.
3. What are the fishing ground off the coast of Ireland called?
4. What is a lost net that can continue to fish for as long as five years called?
5. Hákarl is the flesh of a large _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the invention of filleting machinery change New England's cod fishing industry?
2. What were the Grandmother messages of 1928?
3. Why do fishermen have comparatively high accident rates?
4. How were the Icelandic Coast Guard ships during the Cod Wars armed and manned?
5. Why did Icelanders rejoice in the addition of the 12-mile limit zone around their country?
6. What effect did the term "scrod" have on consumer's perspective on fish?
7. Why was the British Royal Navy reluctant to send combat ships to deal with Iceland during the second Cod War?
8. What skills did fishermen learn in the wake of the imposition of 200-mile zones?
9. Why did it take over seventy years for Europeans to convert their cod fishing fleets to engine power?
10. What happened to many British and German trawlers during the second Cod War?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did Clarence Birdseye invent? What incident marked the beginning of his financial success? Which company was involved? What effect did his invention have on the cod fishing industry?
Essay Topic 2
Who implemented cod farming as a way to combat depleted catches? What are scientists' fears about cod farming today? What are the differences between cod and salmon farming? How is the constitution of a salmon different from that of a cod?
Essay Topic 3
How have the migratory patterns of cod changed? What is the effect of arctic cod on other cod species? What signs of possible extinction are being noticed by fishermen? What species have replaced the cod as profitable catches? How have their migratory patterns changed?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)