|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In an otter trawl, the bottom opening is maintained by a chain made more mobile by metal _____.
2. What does not grow native to Iceland?
3. What were leaders of the trawler industry and chip shop guilds called?
4. What is considered a bread substitute in Iceland?
5. Which boat was invented on the Pacific to deal with rough seas and haul in bigger catches?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do fishermen have comparatively high accident rates?
2. Why did it take over seventy years for Europeans to convert their cod fishing fleets to engine power?
3. What happened to many British and German trawlers during the second Cod War?
4. Why did Icelandic Coast Guard vessels withstand enemy attacks in the second cod war?
5. Why did President Harry Truman impose protected zones for American fisheries?
6. Why was the British Royal Navy reluctant to send combat ships to deal with Iceland during the second Cod War?
7. What skills did fishermen learn in the wake of the imposition of 200-mile zones?
8. What were the Grandmother messages of 1928?
9. Why did Icelanders rejoice in the addition of the 12-mile limit zone around their country?
10. How were the Icelandic Coast Guard ships during the Cod Wars armed and manned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the history of the relationship between salt and cod throughout Europe? Which areas were known for the best salt? What trade relationships were created by this?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Cod Wars. What events led up to the Cod Wars? What effect did they have on the cod fishing industry?
Essay Topic 3
How did the development of schooners change the cod fishing industry? Describe these ships. What other functions happened on board a schooner besides fishing? What races were developed from schooner technology? How were schooners integral to the Gorton's seafood company?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)