|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was sent to Guiana as a death sentence in the 16th century?
2. Which now-extinct bird would flock overhead and darken the sky in 16th century North America?
3. Europe's best salt was supposed to have come from which country?
4. The word for fresh cod in French is ____.
5. What is the Anglo-Saxon word that means "a place that has salt"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when New Englanders become entrepreneurs? How did this conflict with the intent of the British Crown?
2. Where do the Basques live and how do they interpret their homeland?
3. How does Pacific cod compare to Atlantic cod?
4. How did Britain show flexibility in its colonialism with North America?
5. What type of ocean currents do cod prefer?
6. What happened in Grindavík, Iceland in 1532?
7. Why did the cod trade relationship between Britain and Portugal deteriorate in the 16th century?
8. What was John Smith's relationship to cod fishing?
9. Why were New Englanders first drawn to the Caribbean in terms of trade?
10. Why do cod spawn so many eggs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe dory fishing. What are some of its dangers? What are some of the legendary tales of the feats of dorymen?
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between netting and longlining? Which method is considered more "democratic"? By whom, and why?
Essay Topic 3
What happened in the French and Indian War? How was cod trade affected by the outcome? Which French colonies were affected? How? What do they produce?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)