|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "In gadiform fish, evolution is seen in the _____."
2. Where was John Cabot born?
3. Who was sent to Guiana as a death sentence in the 16th century?
4. Where were most explorers trying to get to in the 16th century?
5. What is the air bladder of the cod used for in industry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was the French salt tax particularly hated and what war did it become a grievance for?
2. Why did the cod trade relationship between Britain and Portugal deteriorate in the 16th century?
3. Why is cod considered a fish that is easy to catch?
4. Why were Thorwald and Erik the Red thrown out of Norway and what do they do after that?
5. What happened in Grindavík, Iceland in 1532?
6. What type of ocean currents do cod prefer?
7. How does Pacific cod compare to Atlantic cod?
8. What happened when New Englanders become entrepreneurs? How did this conflict with the intent of the British Crown?
9. How did the Basques become known for preserving cod?
10. How did John Cabot and his brother die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the eating habits of cod. At what depth do they swim? How does this affect their feeding and how they are caught?
Essay Topic 2
What happened in the French and Indian War? How was cod trade affected by the outcome? Which French colonies were affected? How? What do they produce?
Essay Topic 3
Describe dory fishing. What are some of its dangers? What are some of the legendary tales of the feats of dorymen?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)