|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What commodity did Bartholomew Gosnold find in North America?
2. What is the scientific name for cod?
3. What is the throat of the cod called?
4. What was the original name of John Cabot?
5. Who believed that if Britain lost its Newfoundland fishing ships based in Plymouth alone, it would be the greatest blow the country has ever been given?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Vikings survive the desolate landscapes of Greenland and Stoneland?
2. How did Britain show flexibility in its colonialism with North America?
3. Where do the Basques live and how do they interpret their homeland?
4. Why did the cod trade relationship between Britain and Portugal deteriorate in the 16th century?
5. How did the Pilgrims finally become good at farming?
6. What happened when New Englanders become entrepreneurs? How did this conflict with the intent of the British Crown?
7. Why did Bartholomew Gosnold return to Britain from his voyage in 1602?
8. Why is cod considered a fish that is easy to catch?
9. Why was the French salt tax particularly hated and what war did it become a grievance for?
10. What was John Smith's relationship to cod fishing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has life in Iceland changed from the 14th century to present day? What role has cod fishing played in Iceland's heritage? Who has occupied Iceland at different times?
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between netting and longlining? Which method is considered more "democratic"? By whom, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the codfish in the culture of New England. How did the "codfish aristocracy" trace their family fortunes? Where does the codfish symbol appear in modern New England? What is the history of the odd symbol?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)