|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jacques Cartier is credited for "discovering" the mouth of which river?
2. If hauled up from freezing water, cod will _____ because of a protein they produce.
3. Who was the father of Erik the Red?
4. The colonial governor of New Amsterdam wrote of six-foot _____ in 1649.
5. What was the premier French fishing port in Newfoundland in the early 16th century?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when New Englanders become entrepreneurs? How did this conflict with the intent of the British Crown?
2. What happened in Grindavík, Iceland in 1532?
3. Why were New Englanders first drawn to the Caribbean in terms of trade?
4. Why do cod spawn so many eggs?
5. How did John Cabot and his brother die?
6. Why did the Royal Fishery accountant, John Collins, publish a book on salt in 1682?
7. Why were Thorwald and Erik the Red thrown out of Norway and what do they do after that?
8. Why did Bartholomew Gosnold return to Britain from his voyage in 1602?
9. How did Britain show flexibility in its colonialism with North America?
10. Describe the Georges Bank and why this was a good fishing area for cod.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the codfish in the culture of New England. How did the "codfish aristocracy" trace their family fortunes? Where does the codfish symbol appear in modern New England? What is the history of the odd symbol?
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between netting and longlining? Which method is considered more "democratic"? By whom, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Catholicism created a market for cod. Which holiday was instrumental in the creation of this market? Why? Who benefited from this market?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)