|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a growth that is produced from the nitrates being stirred up by conflicting currents?
2. What are the best shore spaces for drying catch called?
(a) Fishing rooms.
(b) Salt caves.
(c) Line shacks.
3. Which now-extinct bird would flock overhead and darken the sky in 16th century North America?
(b) Passenger pigeons.
(c) Mariana mallards.
(d) White-winged sandpipers.
4. What is the Basque language called?
5. What do New Englanders call smaller thin-shelled quahogs?
(a) Mud bugs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Anglo-Saxon word that means "a place that has salt"?
2. "In gadiform fish, evolution is seen in the _____."
3. In 1598, with whom were the Catholics at war?
4. Who outlawed the Basque language?
5. What was the name of the island that Thomas Croft and John Jay searched for in the Atlantic?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Basques become known for preserving cod?
2. What happened in Grindavík, Iceland in 1532?
3. Why was the French salt tax particularly hated and what war did it become a grievance for?
4. How did the Vikings survive the desolate landscapes of Greenland and Stoneland?
5. How did John Cabot and his brother die?
6. How did Britain show flexibility in its colonialism with North America?
7. Where do the Basques live and how do they interpret their homeland?
8. What happened when New Englanders become entrepreneurs? How did this conflict with the intent of the British Crown?
9. Why were New Englanders first drawn to the Caribbean in terms of trade?
10. Why do cod spawn so many eggs?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)