|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "In gadiform fish, evolution is seen in the _____."
2. The eating habits of cod are classified as _____.
3. What did the Pilgrims fail to bring to North America that would aid in their survival?
(b) Fishing tackle.
(c) Building tools.
4. What is the name of the tropical body of water that once ran around the earth east-west and connected all the oceans?
(a) The Proto-Caribbean Sea.
(b) The Panthalassic Ocean.
(c) The Tethys Sea.
(d) The Chixiclub Sea,
5. What does "Hanse" mean in Middle High German?
(a) Higher power.
Short Answer Questions
1. If hauled up from freezing water, cod will _____ because of a protein they produce.
2. What do New Englanders call smaller thin-shelled quahogs?
3. John Cabot claimed what land for England?
4. John Smith renamed _____ "New England".
5. What is the name of the only tropical cod that remains today?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the cod trade relationship between Britain and Portugal deteriorate in the 16th century?
2. Why were Thorwald and Erik the Red thrown out of Norway and what do they do after that?
3. What type of ocean currents do cod prefer?
4. How did the Vikings survive the desolate landscapes of Greenland and Stoneland?
5. Describe the Georges Bank and why this was a good fishing area for cod.
6. Why do cod spawn so many eggs?
7. Where do the Basques live and how do they interpret their homeland?
8. How does Pacific cod compare to Atlantic cod?
9. What happened in Grindavík, Iceland in 1532?
10. How did the Pilgrims finally become good at farming?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)