|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do humpback whales feed on?
2. Who monopolized the Baltic herring trade and tried the same thing with dried cod in the fifteenth century?
(a) The Vikings.
(b) The Turks.
(c) The Hanseatics.
(d) The Huns.
3. What were lobsters considered to be by the Pilgrims?
(a) Sea monsters.
4. What commodity did Bartholomew Gosnold find in North America?
5. What was the original name of John Cabot?
(a) Hans Kabut.
(b) Juan Cabota.
(c) Giovanni Caboto.
(d) Jean Cabotte.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are cod called after the larval stage?
2. What was the Northern European product called when winter fish is dried without salting?
3. Where was the Puritan minister, Francis Higgenson, from?
4. What was the name of the island that Thomas Croft and John Jay searched for in the Atlantic?
5. What is the name of the only tropical cod that remains today?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pacific cod compare to Atlantic cod?
2. Why did Bartholomew Gosnold return to Britain from his voyage in 1602?
3. Describe the Georges Bank and why this was a good fishing area for cod.
4. What was John Smith's relationship to cod fishing?
5. What happened when New Englanders become entrepreneurs? How did this conflict with the intent of the British Crown?
6. Why is cod considered a fish that is easy to catch?
7. Why did the cod trade relationship between Britain and Portugal deteriorate in the 16th century?
8. How did the Pilgrims finally become good at farming?
9. Why were Thorwald and Erik the Red thrown out of Norway and what do they do after that?
10. Why do cod spawn so many eggs?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)