|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who offered the English Puritans either Manhattan or Guiana as a place of refuge?
(a) The Dutch.
(b) The Italians.
(c) The French.
(d) The Germans.
2. What is the Anglo-Saxon word that means "a place that has salt"?
3. Who outlawed the Basque language?
(a) Archduke Ferdinand.
(b) Ricardo Sáenz de Ynestrillas Pérez.
(c) Francisco Franco.
(d) Juan Carlos.
4. What commodity did Bartholomew Gosnold find in North America?
5. What was the Northern European product called when winter fish is dried without salting?
(c) Ling cod.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the tropical body of water that once ran around the earth east-west and connected all the oceans?
2. What was the premier French fishing port in Newfoundland in the early 16th century?
3. What was the name of the island that Thomas Croft and John Jay searched for in the Atlantic?
4. The eating habits of cod are classified as _____.
5. What is the Basque language called?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was John Smith's relationship to cod fishing?
2. Why were Thorwald and Erik the Red thrown out of Norway and what do they do after that?
3. Why was the French salt tax particularly hated and what war did it become a grievance for?
4. Why did the cod trade relationship between Britain and Portugal deteriorate in the 16th century?
5. What happened in Grindavík, Iceland in 1532?
6. How did the Pilgrims finally become good at farming?
7. Describe the Georges Bank and why this was a good fishing area for cod.
8. How did John Cabot and his brother die?
9. How does Pacific cod compare to Atlantic cod?
10. Why were New Englanders first drawn to the Caribbean in terms of trade?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)