|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dorymen's wives made sails for them sewn from _____.
(a) Flour sacks.
(b) Old clothes.
(d) Old sheets.
2. By 1918, which Maine city was building steel-hulled trawlers?
3. What were thick rubber gloves with cotton lining that fishermen wore called?
4. What are most houses in Iceland made out of now?
(c) Metal or concrete.
(d) Mud or brick.
5. Which American President issued a proclamation stating that the U.S. had the right to control mineral resources on its continental shelf?
(a) Harry S. Truman.
(b) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(c) Woodrow Wilson.
(d) Franklin D. Roosevelt.
6. What are twenty-foot, deckless skiffs called?
7. Who was the longtime director of Iceland's Marine Research Institute and one of the negotiators during the third Cod War?
(a) Erik Grindavík.
(b) Jon Jonsson.
(c) Leif Marksson.
(d) Thor Thorsson.
8. Who were infamous on the Grand Banks for the harshness of their working conditions?
(a) The Portuguese.
(b) The British.
(c) The French.
(d) The Spanish.
9. In 1944, Iceland negotiated full independence from _____.
10. In 1995, a system was initiated to restrict the total cod catch to _____ percent of the estimated stock.
11. Which boat was invented on the Pacific to deal with rough seas and haul in bigger catches?
(a) The three-mast schooner.
(b) The stern trawler.
(c) The otter trawler.
(d) The clipper.
12. What does the Dutch word "schrode" mean?
13. Which rich fishing region was considered the laboratory for cod fishing innovation?
(a) The Georges Bank.
(b) The North Sea.
(c) The Grand Banks.
(d) The Icelandic coast.
14. What company did Clarence Birdseye found in Gloucester?
(a) Ocean Foods.
(b) General Seafoods Company.
(c) Gorton's Seafood Company.
(d) Harbor Food Processing.
15. In an otter trawl, the bottom opening is maintained by a chain made more mobile by metal _____.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the Iceland Coast Guard's secret weapon?
2. What replaced nylon in gill nets?
3. Equipment that waits for the fish is called _____.
4. What were sail-powered draggers called?
5. What is considered a bread substitute in Iceland?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)