|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I - A Fish Tale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the air bladder of the cod used for in industry?
(c) Fishing line.
2. What was the premier French fishing port in Newfoundland in the early 16th century?
(a) Le Grys.
(c) La Rochelle.
(d) Le Cygne.
3. What commodity did Bartholomew Gosnold find in North America?
4. "In gadiform fish, evolution is seen in the _____."
5. Who backed Giovanni da Verrazzano on his travels?
(a) Portuguese salt merchants.
(b) French silk merchants.
(c) British whalers.
(d) Italian pottery makers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who believed that if Britain lost its Newfoundland fishing ships based in Plymouth alone, it would be the greatest blow the country has ever been given?
2. Which Spanish Basque city provided anchors and metal fittings with its ironworks and grew with the cod boom?
3. In 1598, with whom were the Catholics at war?
4. What is the name of the tropical body of water that once ran around the earth east-west and connected all the oceans?
5. What was the original name of John Cabot?
This section contains 206 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)