|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I - A Fish Tale.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who monopolized the Baltic herring trade and tried the same thing with dried cod in the fifteenth century?
(a) The Turks.
(b) The Huns.
(c) The Hanseatics.
(d) The Vikings.
2. Which now-extinct bird would flock overhead and darken the sky in 16th century North America?
(b) Passenger pigeons.
(c) White-winged sandpipers.
(d) Mariana mallards.
3. John Smith renamed _____ "New England".
(a) North Virginia.
(b) New Yorkshire.
(c) Nova Scotia.
4. What does the word "Naumkeag" mean?
(a) Fishing place.
(b) Farming land.
(c) Mountain people.
(d) Running horses.
5. What commodity did Bartholomew Gosnold find in North America?
Short Answer Questions
1. What color of the meat of a cod is the result of sluggish muscle tissue?
2. Sterling", according to Kurlansky, means what?
3. Who offered the English Puritans either Manhattan or Guiana as a place of refuge?
4. In 1598, with whom were the Catholics at war?
5. What is the name of the tropical body of water that once ran around the earth east-west and connected all the oceans?
This section contains 191 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)