|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Quick Lamb find in bed beside him when he awakens from his sickness in Chapter VII?
2. Who owns the cabin in the woods that Lester takes Sam to in Chapter VII?
3. The character of Toby Raven appears to Rose like what, in Chapter VIII?
4. What has Dolly Pickles broken in her accident in Chapter IX?
5. What does Dolly Pickles see when she awakens hung over and enters the library in Chapter IX?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is represented symbolically by the naked children in the wheat in Chapter X?
2. How does the author’s structural development reflect his themes in Chapter IX?
3. What is revealed in the conversation between Lester and Oriel Lamb after the return of Quick in Chapter VII?
4. What happens to the images on the walls of the library at Cloudstreet when Rose gives birth in Chapter IX? What does this symbolize?
5. What is represented symbolically by the black hitchhiker that Quick Lamb meets in Chapter VI?
6. What does Rose Pickles initially find attractive about Toby Raven in Chapter VIII? How do her feelings change?
7. How does Toby Raven respond when his work is mistaken for another writer’s at the party in Chapter VIII? What is indicated by this response?
8. What does the character of Lucy Wentworth represent symbolically in the story?
9. What themes and/or motifs are the central focus in Chapter VI?
10. How does the relationship between Dolly and Rose Pickles evolve in Chapter IX?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the narrative style of the novel. From whose perspective is the first section of the story related from? Is the narrative told from a past or present tense? What are the notable elements of the author’s narrative style? How does the narrative change throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the characters of Lester and Oriel Lamb in the novel. How old are Lester and Oriel when the story begins? How many children do they have? How is their relationship characterized? In what ways are the Lambs similar and different than the Pickles family?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the establishment of “Cloudstreet,” the small grocery store developed in the ground floor of the Pickles’ and Lambs’ home at One Cloud Street. How big is the store? What items are sold here? How successful is the business when it first opens?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)