|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The character of Toby Raven appears to Rose like what, in Chapter VIII?
2. By what name is the serial killer in Perth called in Chapter IX?
3. Who has beaten up Sam Pickles in Chapter VII?
4. In what year is the Perth serial killer hung in Chapter X?
5. Who helps deliver Rose’s baby in Chapter IX?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the images on the walls of the library at Cloudstreet when Rose gives birth in Chapter IX? What does this symbolize?
2. What is seen on the walls of the library at Cloudstreet in Chapter IX? What do these images represent?
3. What purpose does Rose’s relationship with Toby Raven serve in the narrative?
4. How is Rose’s position in work and society described in the beginning of Chapter VIII?
5. What is the central focus of Chapter X? How does this chapter introduce hope?
6. How does the author’s structural development reflect his themes in Chapter IX?
7. How does Toby Raven respond when his work is mistaken for another writer’s at the party in Chapter VIII? What is indicated by this response?
8. Who is the opening narrator in Chapter VI? What is described in this brief scene?
9. What is foreshadowed by the marriage of Hattie Lamb in Chapter VII?
10. What is indicated symbolically by the letter from Ted Pickles in Chapter VIII?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author’s depiction of the house at Number One Cloud Street in the novel. How large is the house? What history of the home is detailed in Chapter III? In what ways is the author’s depiction of the house similar to his depiction of the novel’s characters? What does this foreshadow?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Rose Pickles and the narrative focus on Rose in Chapter I. How old is Rose when the novel begins? What is Rose’s relationship like with her brothers and parents? How does Rose’s character evolve throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the family history of Dolly Pickles in the novel. What secret does Dolly reveal to Rose about her mother? How has Dolly’s past influenced her actions in the story? Do you think that Dolly is an empathetic character? Why or why not?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)