|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who spends all day in Kings Park in Chapter VII?
2. What is the name of the dog that works alongside Quick Lamb in Chapter VI?
3. Sam realizes in Chapter X that he will soon have had Cloudstreet for how many years?
4. What Australian slang term from the novel is an affectionate insult referring to someone who is unfashionable?
5. By what name is the serial killer in Perth called in Chapter IX?
Short Essay Questions
1. What purpose does the appearance of the black man serve in Chapter IX?
2. What purpose does Rose’s relationship with Toby Raven serve in the narrative?
3. What is revealed in the conversation between Lester and Oriel Lamb after the return of Quick in Chapter VII?
4. How does Toby Raven respond when his work is mistaken for another writer’s at the party in Chapter VIII? What is indicated by this response?
5. How is Rose’s position in work and society described in the beginning of Chapter VIII?
6. What is the significance of the discussion about the black man voting in Chapter X?
7. What is foreshadowed by the odd glow that surrounds Quick Lamb in Chapter VII?
8. Who is the opening narrator in Chapter VI? What is described in this brief scene?
9. How does the relationship between Dolly and Rose Pickles evolve in Chapter IX?
10. What happens to the images on the walls of the library at Cloudstreet when Rose gives birth in Chapter IX? What does this symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of “luck” illustrated through the character of Sam Pickles? What are Sam’s feelings about the malleability of luck? How does Sam’s luck influence the events in the story? What symbolism supports this theme?
Essay Topic 2
How would you describe the linear structure of Cloudstreet? Is the narrative of the story related from a present or past tense? Does the narrative have nonlinear elements? Are there flashbacks? What effect do these techniques have on the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Wogga McBride and his role in the narrative of Cloudstreet. How does Quick Lamb first encounter Wogga McBride and his brother? How does Wogga die? How does his death affect Quick? Why?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)