|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Oriel Lamb say she believes in, in Chapter VII?
2. Who does Quick Lamb find in bed beside him when he awakens from his sickness in Chapter VII?
3. By what name is the serial killer in Perth called in Chapter IX?
4. What is the name of the baby girl Lon’s bride gives birth to in Chapter X?
5. What does Oriel Lamb dream about in Chapter IX?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author’s structural development reflect his themes in Chapter IX?
2. What is the central focus of Chapter X? How does this chapter introduce hope?
3. What is represented symbolically by the naked children in the wheat in Chapter X?
4. What is foreshadowed by Oriel and Quick’s catch of prawns in Chapter VII?
5. How is the glow surrounding the character of Beryl Lee interpreted in Chapter VII?
6. What is represented symbolically by the black hitchhiker that Quick Lamb meets in Chapter VI?
7. What does Quick dream of when he is knocked unconscious in Chapter VI?
8. What is foreshadowed by Rose’s realization about leadership in Chapter X?
9. What advice does the black man give to Sam in Chapter X? What does his advice symbolize?
10. How does the relationship between Dolly and Rose Pickles evolve in Chapter IX?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Rose Pickles and the narrative focus on Rose in Chapter I. How old is Rose when the novel begins? What is Rose’s relationship like with her brothers and parents? How does Rose’s character evolve throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss Sam Pickles’s gambling addiction and its effects on the Pickles family. Why does Sam begin gambling again in the beginning of Chapter IV? What does he believe signifies the end of his bad luck? Are Sam’s premonitions about his luck generally correct or incorrect in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the setting of the novel. Where in Australia are the members of the Pickles family living in Chapter I? What clues in the text indicate the time period in which the story begins? How large do you envision the pub hotel where the Pickle family lives in this chapter? What is this region of Australia like?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)