|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who decides to accompany Rose, Quick, and their son, on vacation in Chapter X?
2. Where did the Pickles family live before they inherited the house at Number One Cloud Street?
3. What is the name of the young woman that Lon Lamb marries in Chapter IX?
4. The trial of the serial killer in Perth is driven from the front pages of the paper by what news in Chapter X?
5. What is the name of the son that Rose gives birth to in Chapter IX?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the character of Lucy Wentworth represent symbolically in the story?
2. What is seen on the walls of the library at Cloudstreet in Chapter IX? What do these images represent?
3. What is represented symbolically by the black hitchhiker that Quick Lamb meets in Chapter VI?
4. What does the shadow girl that Fish speaks with represent symbolically in Chapter VII?
5. What themes and/or motifs are the central focus in Chapter VI?
6. How does Toby Raven respond when his work is mistaken for another writer’s at the party in Chapter VIII? What is indicated by this response?
7. How is Rose’s position in work and society described in the beginning of Chapter VIII?
8. What is foreshadowed by the marriage of Hattie Lamb in Chapter VII?
9. What is significant about the wedding of Rose and Quick in Chapter VIII? How does this event relate to the story’s plot?
10. What is foreshadowed by the odd glow that surrounds Quick Lamb in Chapter VII?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss Sam Pickles’s gambling addiction and its effects on the Pickles family. Why does Sam begin gambling again in the beginning of Chapter IV? What does he believe signifies the end of his bad luck? Are Sam’s premonitions about his luck generally correct or incorrect in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the establishment of “Cloudstreet,” the small grocery store developed in the ground floor of the Pickles’ and Lambs’ home at One Cloud Street. How big is the store? What items are sold here? How successful is the business when it first opens?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author’s depiction of the house at Number One Cloud Street in the novel. How large is the house? What history of the home is detailed in Chapter III? In what ways is the author’s depiction of the house similar to his depiction of the novel’s characters? What does this foreshadow?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)