|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Rose Pickles in the beginning of Chapter VIII?
2. Who helps deliver Rose’s baby in Chapter IX?
3. Into what room at Cloudstreet do Quick and Rose move in Chapter IX?
4. What is the name of the Perth suburb that has the nearest shops to Cloud Street, across the railroad tracks?
5. By what name is the serial killer in Perth called in Chapter IX?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Toby Raven respond when his work is mistaken for another writer’s at the party in Chapter VIII? What is indicated by this response?
2. What does Rose Pickles initially find attractive about Toby Raven in Chapter VIII? How do her feelings change?
3. What is represented symbolically by the black hitchhiker that Quick Lamb meets in Chapter VI?
4. What does the character of Lucy Wentworth represent symbolically in the story?
5. What is the significance of the discussion about the black man voting in Chapter X?
6. What is represented symbolically by the naked children in the wheat in Chapter X?
7. How does the relationship between Dolly and Rose Pickles evolve in Chapter IX?
8. What is foreshadowed by the odd glow that surrounds Quick Lamb in Chapter VII?
9. What is foreshadowed by Oriel and Quick’s catch of prawns in Chapter VII?
10. What is seen on the walls of the library at Cloudstreet in Chapter IX? What do these images represent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the history of Australia and its original inhabitants, the Aborigines, of the region. How have Aborigines in Australia been discriminated against historically? How has this changed in the past several decades? What rights did Aborigines have during the time period in which the novel is set?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the family history of Dolly Pickles in the novel. What secret does Dolly reveal to Rose about her mother? How has Dolly’s past influenced her actions in the story? Do you think that Dolly is an empathetic character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of “luck” illustrated through the character of Sam Pickles? What are Sam’s feelings about the malleability of luck? How does Sam’s luck influence the events in the story? What symbolism supports this theme?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)