|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what veterans club does Lester Lamb begin performing in Chapter V?
2. What is the name of the horse that Sam Pickles starts betting on in Chapter IV?
3. How many fingers does Sam Pickles lose from his injury in Chapter I?
4. What Australian coin-flipping game does Sam gamble on in Chapter IV?
5. Whose idea is it initially to open a small grocery store in an empty room in the house at Number One Cloud Street in Chapter III?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Sam’s actions in Chapter III propel the plot of the narrative forward?
2. How is Fish’s mental capacity changed after his accident?
3. How are Quick Lamb and Rose Pickles described in the beginning of Chapter V? How old are they at this point?
4. What can the character of Rose Pickles be seen to represent symbolically in Chapter I?
5. How does the Lamb family perceive the concept of “luck,” as seen in the second half of Chapter III? What symbolizes this perception?
6. How are the characters of Lester and Oriel Lamb introduced in Chapter II? What is their family doing when they are introduced?
7. What is revealed about the character of Oriel Lamb in the second half of Chapter III?
8. How is the concept of “luck” perceived by the members of the Pickles family? Where did this perception of luck derive from?
9. How does Oriel Lamb respond to the departure of Quick from Cloudstreet in Chapter V?
10. How does the luck of the Pickles family change at the end of Chapter IV?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Dolly Pickles and her relationship with her husband Sam. How is Dolly’s appearance described in Chapter I? What clues in the text indicate dissatisfaction within Dolly regarding her marriage to Sam Pickles? How is Dolly’s relationship with her children characterized?
Essay Topic 2
How would you describe the linear structure of Cloudstreet? Is the narrative of the story related from a present or past tense? Does the narrative have nonlinear elements? Are there flashbacks? What effect do these techniques have on the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss Sam Pickles’s gambling addiction and its effects on the Pickles family. Why does Sam begin gambling again in the beginning of Chapter IV? What does he believe signifies the end of his bad luck? Are Sam’s premonitions about his luck generally correct or incorrect in the narrative?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)