|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sam Pickles “win” a job position during a gambling game in Chapter IV?
2. The house at Number One Cloud Street that Sam Pickles inherits from his cousin is located in a suburb of what city?
3. How old is Quick Lamb in the beginning of Chapter V?
4. How much money does Sam Pickles receive as his share from the sale of the pub hotel in Chapter III?
5. What is the name of the young man who courts Hattie Lamb in Chapter V?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events occur in January of 1951, according to the narrator in Chapter V?
2. How do the Pickles family members differ from the Lambs in their perception of luck, as noted in Chapter III?
3. qHow does the Lamb family perceive the concept of “fate” as seen in Chapter III?
4. How does Oriel Lamb respond to the departure of Quick from Cloudstreet in Chapter V?
5. How is Fish’s mental state transformed in Chapter V? What has led to this transformation?
6. What is noteworthy about the narratives of Quick and Fish Lamb in Chapter IV?
7. What theme is introduced through the character of Rose Pickles in the beginning of Chapter I?
8. How does the Lamb family perceive the concept of “luck,” as seen in the second half of Chapter III? What symbolizes this perception?
9. How do Sam’s actions in Chapter III propel the plot of the narrative forward?
10. What scene is depicted in the brief section prior to the opening of Chapter I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the names in the novel? Why are “Quick” and “Fish” Lamb given these nicknames? What do you think the family name “Pickles” signifies? How are the characteristics of the Lamb and Pickles families represented by their names?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the accident that injures Fish Lamb in Chapter II and the repercussions of this accident. How has Fish’s mental status changed from the accident? Why? Who feels to blame for the incident?
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of “luck” illustrated through the character of Sam Pickles? What are Sam’s feelings about the malleability of luck? How does Sam’s luck influence the events in the story? What symbolism supports this theme?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)