|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is New Year’s Day of what year when Oriel sets up a tent in the backyard in Chapter IV?
2. Who does Quick Lamb take with him to row the skiff upriver in Chapter IV?
3. What is the name of the competing grocer that Oriel Lamb decides to drive out of business in Chapter V?
4. What is the name of Sam Pickles’s father in the novel?
5. What does Quick Lamb begin clipping from the newspaper and hanging on his wall in Chapter IV?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the author’s depiction of the house on Cloud Street in Chapter III?
2. How does the luck of the Pickles family change at the end of Chapter IV?
3. What are Rose Pickles’s perceptions of her parents, as seen in Chapter I of the novel?
4. How are the characters of Lester and Oriel Lamb introduced in Chapter II? What is their family doing when they are introduced?
5. What is author Tim Winton’s focus in Chapter V? How does this chapter serve the novel?
6. What scene is depicted in the brief section prior to the opening of Chapter I?
7. How do Sam’s actions in Chapter III propel the plot of the narrative forward?
8. How does the Lamb family perceive the concept of “luck,” as seen in the second half of Chapter III? What symbolizes this perception?
9. How are Quick Lamb and Rose Pickles described in the beginning of Chapter V? How old are they at this point?
10. What is foreshadowed by the central event that occurs in Chapter II of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss Quick’s reasons for leaving home in Chapter V. How have the changes in the family dynamic led to Quick’s decision to leave? Where has Lester Lamb been performing in Perth at this time? How does Quick feel about his father’s performances?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrative style of the novel. From whose perspective is the first section of the story related from? Is the narrative told from a past or present tense? What are the notable elements of the author’s narrative style? How does the narrative change throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the history of Australia and its original inhabitants, the Aborigines, of the region. How have Aborigines in Australia been discriminated against historically? How has this changed in the past several decades? What rights did Aborigines have during the time period in which the novel is set?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)