|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the “blackfella” that Quick Lamb encounters in Chapter III try to sell him?
2. It is New Year’s Day of what year when Oriel sets up a tent in the backyard in Chapter IV?
3. How are Rose’s brothers described in Chapter V?
4. How does the schoolboy die that Quick Lamb gives his lunch to in Chapter IV?
5. Who does Quick Lamb take with him to row the skiff upriver in Chapter IV?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who moves into Cloudstreet after Quick Lamb has left home in Chapter V? How is this character introduced?
2. What are Rose Pickles’s perceptions of her parents, as seen in Chapter I of the novel?
3. How do Sam’s actions in Chapter III propel the plot of the narrative forward?
4. How are Quick Lamb and Rose Pickles described in the beginning of Chapter V? How old are they at this point?
5. What is symbolized by Fish’s fit during the celebration of Guy Fawkes Day in Chapter IV?
6. qHow does the Lamb family perceive the concept of “fate” as seen in Chapter III?
7. What question is raised by Sam’s intuition about his luck changing in the beginning of Chapter IV?
8. How does the author examine the themes of heredity and family in Chapter I?
9. How would you characterize the language style of Cloudstreet?
10. What is noteworthy about the narratives of Quick and Fish Lamb in Chapter IV?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Beryl Lee in the novel. Where does Oriel meet Beryl? Why does she invite Beryl to live at Cloudstreet? How does she fit in with the two families there? Why does Beryl leave Cloudstreet? Where does she go after leaving?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Rose Pickles and the narrative focus on Rose in Chapter I. How old is Rose when the novel begins? What is Rose’s relationship like with her brothers and parents? How does Rose’s character evolve throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Wogga McBride and his role in the narrative of Cloudstreet. How does Quick Lamb first encounter Wogga McBride and his brother? How does Wogga die? How does his death affect Quick? Why?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)