|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rose daydream about running away with in Chapter V?
2. What is the name of the department store where Rose Pickles begins working at as a switchboard operator in Chapter V?
3. What is the name of the young man who courts Hattie Lamb in Chapter V?
4. Where does Sam Pickles “win” a job position during a gambling game in Chapter IV?
5. What is the name of the pub hotel where the Pickle family lives in Chapter I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is foreshadowed by the central event that occurs in Chapter II of the novel?
2. What theme is introduced through the character of Rose Pickles in the beginning of Chapter I?
3. How does the author examine the themes of heredity and family in Chapter I?
4. What is significant about the author’s depiction of the house on Cloud Street in Chapter III?
5. How are Quick Lamb and Rose Pickles described in the beginning of Chapter V? How old are they at this point?
6. What are Rose Pickles’s perceptions of her parents, as seen in Chapter I of the novel?
7. Who moves into Cloudstreet after Quick Lamb has left home in Chapter V? How is this character introduced?
8. What can the character of Rose Pickles be seen to represent symbolically in Chapter I?
9. How is Fish’s mental capacity changed after his accident?
10. What is the central event that dominates Chapter II? Why is this event important in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the traditions, history, origins, and cultural relevance of Guy Fawkes Day and its celebration by the Lambs and Pickles in Chapter IV. Why does Fish Lamb become upset when the Guy Fawkes effigy is burned? What does his behavior symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
How would you describe the linear structure of Cloudstreet? Is the narrative of the story related from a present or past tense? Does the narrative have nonlinear elements? Are there flashbacks? What effect do these techniques have on the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the characters of Lester and Oriel Lamb in the novel. How old are Lester and Oriel when the story begins? How many children do they have? How is their relationship characterized? In what ways are the Lambs similar and different than the Pickles family?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)