|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where in the house do Rose and Quick make love in Chapter VIII?
(a) The library.
(b) The bathroom.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) The attic.
2. It is the last day of what decade when Rose and Quick find a flat in Chapter IX?
(a) The 1940s.
(b) The 1960s.
(c) The 1930s.
(d) The 1950s.
3. Who spends all day in Kings Park in Chapter VII?
(a) Elaine Lamb.
(b) Oriel Lamb.
(c) Sam Pickles.
(d) Rose Pickles.
4. Rose Pickles learns from her coworkers about how to get dates by flirting on the phone in Chapter VIII. Where do the women tell their prospective dates to meet them?
(a) Outside the post office.
(b) At a French café.
(c) Outside the library.
(d) Outside the soda shop.
5. Rose comes to the realization in Chapter X that she shares leadership skills in common with whom?
(a) Lucy Wentworth.
(b) Geoffrey Birch.
(c) Oriel Lamb.
(d) Lester Lamb.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Sam ask the black man that he encounters on his way home from voting in Chapter X?
2. What body part of Sam’s tingles when bad luck seems to be approaching in the novel?
3. By what name is the serial killer in Perth called in Chapter IX?
4. Why does Beryl Lee say she is moving out in Chapter VII?
5. What is Toby Raven’s profession when Rose meets him in Chapter VIII?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is represented symbolically by the black hitchhiker that Quick Lamb meets in Chapter VI?
2. How does the author’s structural development reflect his themes in Chapter IX?
3. How does the relationship between Dolly and Rose Pickles evolve in Chapter IX?
4. What does Rose Pickles initially find attractive about Toby Raven in Chapter VIII? How do her feelings change?
5. How does the author address the concept of faith through Oriel and Lester in Chapter X?
6. How is the glow surrounding the character of Beryl Lee interpreted in Chapter VII?
7. What is foreshadowed by the odd glow that surrounds Quick Lamb in Chapter VII?
8. What is significant about the wedding of Rose and Quick in Chapter VIII? How does this event relate to the story’s plot?
9. What is indicated symbolically by the letter from Ted Pickles in Chapter VIII?
10. How is Rose’s position in work and society described in the beginning of Chapter VIII?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)