|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Fish Lamb entertain himself by spinning at the dinner table in Chapter III?
(a) Soup bowls.
(b) Dinner plates.
2. Who is said to run the grocery store like a drill sergeant, keeping a close eye on supply and demand, in Chapter III?
(a) Rose Pickles.
(b) Sam Pickles.
(c) Dolly Pickles.
(d) Oriel Lamb.
3. The Lamb family plants a garden and raises what animals in their half of the yard in Chapter III?
4. In what town does the Pickles family live in Chapter I?
(a) Margaret River.
(d) Southern Cross.
5. Who beats up Dolly Pickles in Chapter V?
(a) Toby Raven.
(b) Harry Lamb.
(c) Beryl Lee.
(d) G.M. Clay.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose idea is it initially to open a small grocery store in an empty room in the house at Number One Cloud Street in Chapter III?
2. What is Quick Lamb’s favorite outdoor activity, according to the narrator in Chapter V?
3. What is Fish Lamb’s real first name?
4. Who is Sam Pickles gambling with in Chapter IV when he gets so far ahead, the man has to give him a job?
5. How does Sam injure himself on the job in Chapter I?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events occur in January of 1951, according to the narrator in Chapter V?
2. How do the Pickles family members differ from the Lambs in their perception of luck, as noted in Chapter III?
3. What is foreshadowed by the central event that occurs in Chapter II of the novel?
4. How are Quick Lamb and Rose Pickles described in the beginning of Chapter V? How old are they at this point?
5. What is symbolized by Fish’s fit during the celebration of Guy Fawkes Day in Chapter IV?
6. How does Oriel Lamb respond to the departure of Quick from Cloudstreet in Chapter V?
7. How is Fish’s mental state transformed in Chapter V? What has led to this transformation?
8. How does Sam’s change of luck affect the outcome of events that take place in Chapter IV?
9. How is the concept of “luck” perceived by the members of the Pickles family? Where did this perception of luck derive from?
10. How does the author examine the themes of heredity and family in Chapter I?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)