|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Quick Lamb take with him to row the skiff upriver in Chapter IV?
(a) Oriel Lamb.
(b) Fish Lamb.
(c) Ted Lamb.
(d) Lon Lamb.
2. Fish Lamb seems to recognize everyone in his family except for whom in Chapter III?
(a) Hattie Lamb.
(b) Lon Lamb.
(c) Lester Lamb.
(d) Oriel Lamb.
3. Who is said to run the grocery store like a drill sergeant, keeping a close eye on supply and demand, in Chapter III?
(a) Dolly Pickles.
(b) Oriel Lamb.
(c) Rose Pickles.
(d) Sam Pickles.
4. What are the names of Rose’s brothers in the novel?
(a) Geoffrey and Harry Pickles.
(b) Fish and Lester Pickles.
(c) Lon and Merv Pickles.
(d) Ted and Chub Pickles.
5. How old is Fish Lamb in Chapter II?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Rose Pickles when she no longer scours the pubs looking for her mother because she won’t brave the drunks in Chapter V?
2. How does the schoolboy die that Quick Lamb gives his lunch to in Chapter IV?
3. In what year did Joel win a small fortune gambling and buy the house at One Cloud Street?
4. Who beats up Dolly Pickles in Chapter V?
5. Whose idea is it initially to open a small grocery store in an empty room in the house at Number One Cloud Street in Chapter III?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Oriel Lamb respond to the departure of Quick from Cloudstreet in Chapter V?
2. Who moves into Cloudstreet after Quick Lamb has left home in Chapter V? How is this character introduced?
3. What is foreshadowed by the central event that occurs in Chapter II of the novel?
4. What is foreshadowed through the character of the black man that appears in Chapter III?
5. How are fates of the Lamb and Pickles families compared to one another in Chapter II?
6. How does the Lamb family perceive the concept of “luck,” as seen in the second half of Chapter III? What symbolizes this perception?
7. What is revealed about the character of Oriel Lamb in the second half of Chapter III?
8. What question is raised by Sam’s intuition about his luck changing in the beginning of Chapter IV?
9. What scene is depicted in the brief section prior to the opening of Chapter I?
10. How are the characters of Lester and Oriel Lamb introduced in Chapter II? What is their family doing when they are introduced?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)