|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The doctor who examines Fish Lamb in Chapter III believes that he must be what as a result of his accident?
(c) Physically stunted.
(d) Brain damaged.
2. What Australian coin-flipping game does Sam gamble on in Chapter IV?
(b) Aces high.
(d) Double diamonds.
3. Where does Sam receive a package from while he recuperates in the hospital in Chapter I?
(a) The Anzac Club.
(b) Southern Cross.
(c) The Abrolhos Islands.
4. Who is the lonely widow that Oriel Lamb meets at the Anzac Club in Chapter V?
(a) Wogga McBride.
(b) G.M. Clay.
(c) Lucy Wentworth.
(d) Beryl Lee.
5. What do the members of the Lamb family spin in order to determine who will wash dishes in Chapter III?
(a) An Indian arrowhead.
(b) A butter knife.
(c) A bottle.
(d) A pencil.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Sam Pickles’s father in the novel?
2. In what room of the house at One Cloud Street did the old woman who previously owned it die?
3. Who does Rose daydream about running away with in Chapter V?
4. Where is Quick Lamb supposed to row the skiff to a dock at in Chapter IV?
5. What member of the Pickles family is described in Chapter I as “a damned good-looking woman”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the luck of the Pickles family change at the end of Chapter IV?
2. What are Rose Pickles’s perceptions of her parents, as seen in Chapter I of the novel?
3. How is the concept of “luck” perceived by the members of the Pickles family? Where did this perception of luck derive from?
4. What is significant about the author’s depiction of the house on Cloud Street in Chapter III?
5. How does Sam’s change of luck affect the outcome of events that take place in Chapter IV?
6. Who moves into Cloudstreet after Quick Lamb has left home in Chapter V? How is this character introduced?
7. How are the characters of Lester and Oriel Lamb introduced in Chapter II? What is their family doing when they are introduced?
8. What is symbolized by Fish’s fit during the celebration of Guy Fawkes Day in Chapter IV?
9. How are Quick Lamb and Rose Pickles described in the beginning of Chapter V? How old are they at this point?
10. What question is raised by Sam’s intuition about his luck changing in the beginning of Chapter IV?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)