|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Quick Lamb’s favorite outdoor activity, according to the narrator in Chapter V?
(d) Horseback riding.
2. Who is Sam Pickles gambling with in Chapter IV when he gets so far ahead, the man has to give him a job?
(a) A union boss.
(b) A schoolteacher.
(c) An undertaker.
(d) A butcher.
3. How do the Lamb daughters feel about their new life in the city in Chapter III?
(a) They hate it.
(b) They miss it.
(c) They regret it.
(d) They love it.
4. What month is it when the warm weather begins in Australia, according to the narrator in Chapter V?
5. How many fingers does Sam Pickles lose from his injury in Chapter I?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sam receive a package from while he recuperates in the hospital in Chapter I?
2. Who is said to run the grocery store like a drill sergeant, keeping a close eye on supply and demand, in Chapter III?
3. What do the members of the Lamb family spin in order to determine who will wash dishes in Chapter III?
4. What member of the Pickles family is described in Chapter I as “a damned good-looking woman”?
5. Where does Sam Pickles “win” a job position during a gambling game in Chapter IV?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is author Tim Winton’s focus in Chapter V? How does this chapter serve the novel?
2. What is symbolized by Fish’s fit during the celebration of Guy Fawkes Day in Chapter IV?
3. What is foreshadowed by the central event that occurs in Chapter II of the novel?
4. What scene is depicted in the brief section prior to the opening of Chapter I?
5. How is Fish’s mental state transformed in Chapter V? What has led to this transformation?
6. How do Sam’s actions in Chapter III propel the plot of the narrative forward?
7. How does the author examine the themes of heredity and family in Chapter I?
8. How are the characters of Lester and Oriel Lamb introduced in Chapter II? What is their family doing when they are introduced?
9. Who moves into Cloudstreet after Quick Lamb has left home in Chapter V? How is this character introduced?
10. What is foreshadowed through the character of the black man that appears in Chapter III?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)