|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Sam Pickles’s father in the novel?
(a) George Pickles.
(b) Merv Pickles.
(c) James Pickles.
(d) Ted Pickles.
2. What is the name of Rose Pickle’s uncle that owns the pub hotel where the Pickle family lives in Chapter I?
(a) Uncle Billy.
(b) Uncle Peter.
(c) Uncle Joel.
(d) Uncle James.
3. Where does Sam Pickles “win” a job position during a gambling game in Chapter IV?
(a) A mint.
(b) A school.
(c) A bank.
(d) A butcher’s shop.
4. In what town does the Pickles family live in Chapter I?
(a) Southern Cross.
(d) Margaret River.
5. What does Sam Pickles do with the money he receives as his share from the sale of the pub hotel in Chapter III?
(a) He loses it gambling.
(b) He invests in a car.
(c) He sends it to his mother.
(d) He send it to his daughter.
6. What do the members of the Lamb family spin in order to determine who will wash dishes in Chapter III?
(a) A pencil.
(b) A bottle.
(c) An Indian arrowhead.
(d) A butter knife.
7. How old is Fish Lamb in Chapter II?
8. Who is said to have convinced the woman who owned One Cloud Street to take in Aboriginal women in Chapter III?
(a) A traveling salesman.
(b) A Catholic nun.
(c) A local politician.
(d) An Anglican priest.
9. What does Sam Pickles buy for Rose, reducing her to tears, in Chapter IV?
(a) A wedding gown.
(b) A wooden desk.
(c) A rag doll.
(d) A composition book.
10. What is Fish Lamb’s real first name?
11. How old is Rose Pickles when she no longer scours the pubs looking for her mother because she won’t brave the drunks in Chapter V?
12. What are the names of Rose’s brothers in the novel?
(a) Ted and Chub Pickles.
(b) Fish and Lester Pickles.
(c) Lon and Merv Pickles.
(d) Geoffrey and Harry Pickles.
13. What is the name of the talking cockatoo that Sam Pickles wins gambling in Chapter IV?
14. The doctor who examines Fish Lamb in Chapter III believes that he must be what as a result of his accident?
(a) Brain damaged.
(c) Physically stunted.
15. What is inside the package that Sam receives in the hospital in Chapter I?
(a) His severed fingers.
(b) A golden ring.
(c) A job offer.
(d) An insurance settlement.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the boy at school that Quick Lamb gives his lunch to in Chapter IV?
2. Whose idea is it initially to open a small grocery store in an empty room in the house at Number One Cloud Street in Chapter III?
3. Who is said to run the grocery store like a drill sergeant, keeping a close eye on supply and demand, in Chapter III?
4. What is Lester Lamb’s occupation in Chapter II?
5. What nation has surrendered, leading to the end of the war in Chapter IV?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)