|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose idea is it initially to open a small grocery store in an empty room in the house at Number One Cloud Street in Chapter III?
(a) Sam Pickles'.
(b) Dolly Pickles'.
(c) Rose Pickles'.
(d) Lester Lamb’s.
2. How old is Fish Lamb in Chapter II?
3. How does the schoolboy die that Quick Lamb gives his lunch to in Chapter IV?
(a) He is hit by a train.
(b) He is shot by his brother.
(c) He drowns in the river.
(d) He is hit by a car.
4. What is Quick Lamb’s real first name?
5. What Australian coin-flipping game does Sam gamble on in Chapter IV?
(a) Aces high.
(b) Double diamonds.
6. In what town does the Pickles family live in Chapter I?
(c) Margaret River.
(d) Southern Cross.
7. How old is Quick Lamb in the beginning of Chapter V?
8. How many children do Lester and Oriel Lamb have in Chapter II?
9. What is Lester Lamb’s occupation in Chapter II?
(a) He is an optician.
(b) He is a policeman.
(c) He is a butcher.
(d) He is an undertaker.
10. What is the name of Sam Pickles’s father in the novel?
(a) Merv Pickles.
(b) James Pickles.
(c) George Pickles.
(d) Ted Pickles.
11. What is the name of the young man who courts Hattie Lamb in Chapter V?
(a) Toby Raven.
(b) Geoffrey Birch.
(c) G.M. Clay.
(d) Beryl Lee.
12. What does the “blackfella” that Quick Lamb encounters in Chapter III try to sell him?
(d) Trimmed saplings.
13. Oriel Lamb describes her father’s remarriage to whom in Chapter III?
(a) A young teacher.
(b) An elderly widow.
(c) A soothsayer.
(d) An Aborigine woman.
14. What is the Lamb family fishing for in the opening of Chapter II?
15. Rose and her brothers discover the severed foot of whom washed up on the beach in Chapter I?
(a) A Japanese soldier.
(b) An American soldier.
(c) A Nazi soldier.
(d) An Italian soldier.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sam Pickles’s father is described in Chapter I as having passed along his love of what to his son?
2. Who becomes upset in Chapter IV when the Lamb and Pickles families go to burn the Guy Fawkes effigy?
3. What does Fish Lamb entertain himself by spinning at the dinner table in Chapter III?
4. Fish Lamb seems to recognize everyone in his family except for whom in Chapter III?
5. How did one of the Aboriginal women commit suicide at One Cloud Street, according to the narrator in Chapter III?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)