|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clive tell Edward to do with the necklace?
2. What story does Gerry turn and tell the audience as he leaves Edward?
3. Before the wedding, what's Betty's advice to Ellen about marriage?
4. What does Gerry tell the audience when he arrives at his destination after the ritual?
5. Whose done a lot of reading on the subject of ancient rituals?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Mrs. Saunders and Maud. How are they same? How are they different? Provide an event from the story in which they both reacted differently.
Essay Topic 2
Loyalties are demonstrated between Joshua and Clive and Edward and Victoria, while it is missing in many of the other relationships. What role did the concept of loyalty have in the novel? What did the lack of loyalty contribute to the story line? Would the story have changed if there were more loyalties amongst the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Time and age are dominant concepts in Cloud 9. Time passes quickly, while the characters age slowly. What is the significance of time in Cloud 9? Why is the mentioning of time and age important? What is the significance of younger characters appearing to the older ones throughout the story?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)