|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maud feel about children in general?
2. Who comes looking for Edward outside in Act 1, Scene 4?
3. What has the destruction of the native village caused to happen?
4. What does Clive tell Harry in Act 1, Scene 4 about the situation with Betty?
5. Why do Maud, Betty, Mrs. Saunders and Victoria wait inside while the men go to the stables?
Short Essay Questions
1. Edward quits his job to "keep house" for Victoria and Lin. Is this situation surprising?
2. At the end of the Act, Joshua points a gun at Clive and Edward stands by and does nothing. What do these events signify?
3. Why would Joshua be rude to Betty?
4. What evidence is provided that Clive and Betty's marriage is in trouble?
5. Mrs. Saunders narrowly escapes an attack by the natives. How does this situation make the others in Clive's family feel?
6. Edward made fun of the women for trying to play sports, yet he wasn't much better. Why would he have made fun of them?
7. Why may Betty be confused since her separation with Clive?
8. What role does Joshua play in this family?
9. Why would Edward shout at Joshua to obey Betty?
10. What does Clive's "empire" symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The natives are mentioned throughout Act 1. What do the natives symbolize? Why is their presence important? How would Act 1 have been different if the natives were not present?
Essay Topic 2
Is Cloud 9 an appropriate title for the story? Why or why not? Why do you believe the author would have chosen this title? Based on the storyline, what would you have named the story if you could change it? Why?
Essay Topic 3
How does society impact the plot? Identify an event in Cloud 9 that demonstrates an impact or view from the social component. How did society influence this event?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)