|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edward protest when he is yelled at for playing with the doll?
2. What does Clive spill on his pants at the picnic?
3. At the picnic, who saves the disagreement over the game?
4. How does Betty react to Ellen's second confession?
5. Who does Clive send for after settling Betty's situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Betty discusses with Martin his marital problems with her daughter,Victoria. Is Betty judgmental about her daughter's current living situation? Give examples to support your answer.
2. Describe the relationship between Clive and Joshua.
3. What role does Joshua play in this family?
4. Betty tells Ellen that "she didn't get married to enjoy herself." What does this tell the reader about the idea of marriage?
5. Betty proposes the idea of buying a large house for everyone to live in. What is the purpose of Betty wanting to do this?
6. How does Maud's warning Clive to pay more attention to Betty foreshadow Betty's reaction to Harry's arrival?
7. Edward orders the women to stop playing catch. He believes that they are awful because they are women. How does this reflect the view on women during the time this play is occurring?
8. What is the significance of Joshua telling Edward a story about his people?
9. What does the park symbolize?
10. How does Clive feel that Betty is "eroding" away the standards of his empire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sexual gender is a unique concept that is fabricated upon throughout Cloud 9. Many of the female characters were played by men and vice versa. What is the significance of the author developing the characters in this way? Are the genders of the actors appropriate for the characters in which they play? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How does society impact the plot? Identify an event in Cloud 9 that demonstrates an impact or view from the social component. How did society influence this event?
Essay Topic 3
Time and age are dominant concepts in Cloud 9. Time passes quickly, while the characters age slowly. What is the significance of time in Cloud 9? Why is the mentioning of time and age important? What is the significance of younger characters appearing to the older ones throughout the story?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)