|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Clive suggest Harry marry?
2. Who admires Clive's life?
3. How does Clive react when his life is discussed?
4. Who orders Ellen and Betty to stop playing at the picnic?
5. During what time period does Act I occur?
Short Essay Questions
1. Edward quits his job to "keep house" for Victoria and Lin. Is this situation surprising?
2. How does the game hide and seek fit appropriately with the characters sharing feelings with each other as they encounter one another?
3. Betty discusses with Martin his marital problems with her daughter,Victoria. Is Betty judgmental about her daughter's current living situation? Give examples to support your answer.
4. Why may Betty be confused since her separation with Clive?
5. Harry misunerstands Clive when he speaks about the "sanctuary of the affection between men." What does Clive mean by this statement?
6. Edward orders the women to stop playing catch. He believes that they are awful because they are women. How does this reflect the view on women during the time this play is occurring?
7. Betty proposes the idea of buying a large house for everyone to live in. What is the purpose of Betty wanting to do this?
8. How does Maud's warning Clive to pay more attention to Betty foreshadow Betty's reaction to Harry's arrival?
9. What does the bringing of Martin into the ritual represent?
10. Describe the relationship between Clive and Joshua.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does society impact the plot? Identify an event in Cloud 9 that demonstrates an impact or view from the social component. How did society influence this event?
Essay Topic 2
Sexual gender is a unique concept that is fabricated upon throughout Cloud 9. Many of the female characters were played by men and vice versa. What is the significance of the author developing the characters in this way? Are the genders of the actors appropriate for the characters in which they play? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The natives are mentioned throughout Act 1. What do the natives symbolize? Why is their presence important? How would Act 1 have been different if the natives were not present?
This section contains 1,421 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)