Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Clive send for after settling Betty's situation?
2. After Mrs. Saunders arrives, what do Clive and Joshua go outside to do?
3. What does Mrs. Saunders tell Clive about Joshua's family?
4. After Edward is scolded for playing with the doll, why does Ellen burst into tears?
5. During the dispute about Edward's doll, who does Maud slap?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act I, Scene 1, Harry introduces the reader to his family. Describe Harry's family.
2. In this Act 2 Scene 4, several characters from Act 1 have resurfaced. What is the significance of this?
3. Why would Edward lie about Joshua stealing Ellen's necklace when he had it all along?
4. Edward orders the women to stop playing catch. He believes that they are awful because they are women. How does this reflect the view on women during the time this play is occurring?
5. Mrs. Saunders asks Joshua, if his "arm aches and whether he minds beating his own people." What does this comment imply about Mrs. Saunders' opinion on Joshua?
6. At the end of the Act, Joshua points a gun at Clive and Edward stands by and does nothing. What do these events signify?
7. How does Clive describe the life he has?
8. Has the value in marriage changed over 100 years, from Act 1 to Act 2? Give evidence to support your answer.
9. Betty proposes the idea of buying a large house for everyone to live in. What is the purpose of Betty wanting to do this?
10. Harry confesses his passion for Betty when Clive is securing the barn. What does this tell you about Harry's value for friendship?
Marriage is a common topic discussed throughout the story. What is the shared feeling about marriage in the story? Why is marriage important to the character development and plot? What marriage appears to be the most stable? Why?
Compare Mrs. Saunders and Maud. How are they same? How are they different? Provide an event from the story in which they both reacted differently.
Time and age are dominant concepts in Cloud 9. Time passes quickly, while the characters age slowly. What is the significance of time in Cloud 9? Why is the mentioning of time and age important? What is the significance of younger characters appearing to the older ones throughout the story?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)