|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As characters find themselves alone with each other during the second game, what happens?
2. What is Clive's advice to Harry?
3. What does Edward feel about the story Joshua tells him?
4. Why does Betty protest the news of their upcoming visitor?
5. What does Betty and Harry confess to each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act I, Scene 1, Harry introduces the reader to his family. Describe Harry's family.
2. Betty discusses with Martin his marital problems with her daughter,Victoria. Is Betty judgmental about her daughter's current living situation? Give examples to support your answer.
3. Betty claims that Joshua, the servant, is being rude to her. When Clive confronts Joshua, his story is different. Why does Clive believe Joshua over his own wife?
4. Martin tries to convince Victoria to take a job in another city. What does this tell the audience about Martin as a person?
5. Edward made fun of the women for trying to play sports, yet he wasn't much better. Why would he have made fun of them?
6. Why wouldn't Clive believe Edward when he blames Joshua for destroying the doll?
7. What is the significance of the Betty from Act 1 and the Betty from Act 2 embracing at the end of the play?
8. What is the significance of Clive arranging a marriage between Harry and Betty?
9. Edward quits his job to "keep house" for Victoria and Lin. Is this situation surprising?
10. Why would Joshua be rude to Betty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Children play a large role in the story Cloud 9. Why is the presence of children significant? How are the children of Victoria and Edward different than Cathy and Tommy? How are they the same? Do any of the other characters have childlike characteristics? If so, who?
Essay Topic 2
Mothering and nurture is a theme in the story. Pick any two mothers and compare their parenting style. How are they different? How are they the same? How is their relationship with their children? Does the relationship they have with their children correlate to their parenting techniques? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Mrs. Saunders and Maud. How are they same? How are they different? Provide an event from the story in which they both reacted differently.
This section contains 1,455 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)