|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stands alone and still on the porch for a long time while everyone is inside?
2. Who is "eroding" the standards of Clive's empire?
3. After Edward's confession about the doll, where does Clive suggest they all go?
4. Why is it implied that Betty and Ellen are not good at the game they are playing at the picnic?
5. What does Clive tell Harry in Act 1, Scene 4 about the situation with Betty?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Edward shout at Joshua to obey Betty?
2. What is the significance of Cathy's rude skipping song?
3. How does the game hide and seek fit appropriately with the characters sharing feelings with each other as they encounter one another?
4. Why would Edward not want Clive to hear about the incident with the doll from Ellen?
5. In this Act 2 Scene 4, several characters from Act 1 have resurfaced. What is the significance of this?
6. Clive believes it is unsafe for anyone to leave the house. What does this tell the audience about the environment in which the characters live?
7. Martin leaves alone after the ritual. What does this tell the audience about his position in this group?
8. Betty's split from Clive leaves everyone in a state of shock. How did others view the marriage of Clive and Betty?
9. Gerry "if they can do together what they did before" to the Edward the audience met in Act 1. Where has the reader seen this question before and why is it significant?
10. Why would Joshua destroy the doll Edward adores so much?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marriage is a common topic discussed throughout the story. What is the shared feeling about marriage in the story? Why is marriage important to the character development and plot? What marriage appears to be the most stable? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Although many of the conflicts are internalized within the characters, there are some external conflicts within the plot. What is one of the most crucial external conflict in Cloud 9? Why is this conflict so important?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of Act 1, Joshua aims a gun at Clive while Edward doesn't do anything to stop him. What is the significance of this event? Why would Joshua behave this way? Why wouldn't Edward try to prevent this?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)