|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clive feel is important in life?
2. What are the stable boys said to be doing?
3. At the picnic, who is just as bad at the game as Betty and Ellen?
4. When asked his opinion, how does Joshua describe the natives?
5. What does Clive suggest that Edward participate in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the presence of Lin's dead brother's spirit demonstrate?
2. Why would Edward lie about Joshua stealing Ellen's necklace when he had it all along?
3. What is the significance of Clive arranging a marriage between Harry and Betty?
4. What does the park symbolize?
5. Martin tries to convince Victoria to take a job in another city. What does this tell the audience about Martin as a person?
6. Why would the characters only age 25 years if Act 2 takes place a 100 years later?
7. Betty's split from Clive leaves everyone in a state of shock. How did others view the marriage of Clive and Betty?
8. Harry confesses his passion for Betty when Clive is securing the barn. What does this tell you about Harry's value for friendship?
9. Betty discusses with Martin his marital problems with her daughter,Victoria. Is Betty judgmental about her daughter's current living situation? Give examples to support your answer.
10. Mrs. Saunders asks Joshua, if his "arm aches and whether he minds beating his own people." What does this comment imply about Mrs. Saunders' opinion on Joshua?
Essay Topic 1
Time and age are dominant concepts in Cloud 9. Time passes quickly, while the characters age slowly. What is the significance of time in Cloud 9? Why is the mentioning of time and age important? What is the significance of younger characters appearing to the older ones throughout the story?
Essay Topic 2
Loyalties are demonstrated between Joshua and Clive and Edward and Victoria, while it is missing in many of the other relationships. What role did the concept of loyalty have in the novel? What did the lack of loyalty contribute to the story line? Would the story have changed if there were more loyalties amongst the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Mothering and nurture is a theme in the story. Pick any two mothers and compare their parenting style. How are they different? How are they the same? How is their relationship with their children? Does the relationship they have with their children correlate to their parenting techniques? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,382 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)