|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Saunders initial reaction to Clive's request?
2. After the men return from the stables, what does Mrs. Saunders ask Joshua?
3. After Edward is scolded for playing with the doll, why does Ellen burst into tears?
4. During the picnic, how is the game situation saved?
5. What does Clive predict will cause Betty to have some excitement in the near future?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can the doll Edward takes from Victoria symbolize?
2. Gerry "if they can do together what they did before" to the Edward the audience met in Act 1. Where has the reader seen this question before and why is it significant?
3. Why wouldn't Clive believe Edward when he blames Joshua for destroying the doll?
4. What is the significance of the Betty from Act 1 and the Betty from Act 2 embracing at the end of the play?
5. In the park, Edward gives Martin directions on how to take care of Tommy even though Martin is Tommy's father. What does this tell the audience about Martin's fathering skills?
6. How does Clive describe the life he has?
7. Why would Edward lie about Joshua stealing Ellen's necklace when he had it all along?
8. Clive believes it is unsafe for anyone to leave the house. What does this tell the audience about the environment in which the characters live?
9. Describe Lin's values in this scene.
10. What is the significance of Clive arranging a marriage between Harry and Betty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Compare and contrast the role of women during the time in Africa with modern day London. How have the roles changed? What could have caused these changes? Are there any ways in which the roles of women have no changed at all?
Essay Topic 2Time and age are dominant concepts in Cloud 9. Time passes quickly, while the characters age slowly. What is the significance of time in Cloud 9? Why is the mentioning of time and age important? What is the significance of younger characters appearing to the older ones throughout the story?
Essay Topic 3Is Cloud 9 an appropriate title for the story? Why or why not? Why do you believe the author would have chosen this title? Based on the storyline, what would you have named the story if you could change it? Why?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)