|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the stable boys different from Joshua?
2. After his first choice was declined, who does Clive arrange Harry to marry?
3. What does Edward protest when he is yelled at for playing with the doll?
4. What does Maud feel about children in general?
5. What are Ellen and Betty playing at the picnic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Betty proposes the idea of buying a large house for everyone to live in. What is the purpose of Betty wanting to do this?
2. Edward made fun of the women for trying to play sports, yet he wasn't much better. Why would he have made fun of them?
3. Why would Lin, Victoria and Edward perform a ritual to invoke the ancient female goddess?
4. How does Maud's warning Clive to pay more attention to Betty foreshadow Betty's reaction to Harry's arrival?
5. What evidence is provided that Clive and Betty's marriage is in trouble?
6. In the park, Edward gives Martin directions on how to take care of Tommy even though Martin is Tommy's father. What does this tell the audience about Martin's fathering skills?
7. Why would Edward lie about Joshua stealing Ellen's necklace when he had it all along?
8. Has the value in marriage changed over 100 years, from Act 1 to Act 2? Give evidence to support your answer.
9. Describe the relationship between Clive and Joshua.
10. Ellen reveals to Clive that Edward has been playing with dolls. How does Clive react to this news? Is his reaction surprising?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mothering and nurture is a theme in the story. Pick any two mothers and compare their parenting style. How are they different? How are they the same? How is their relationship with their children? Does the relationship they have with their children correlate to their parenting techniques? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Is Cloud 9 an appropriate title for the story? Why or why not? Why do you believe the author would have chosen this title? Based on the storyline, what would you have named the story if you could change it? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The natives are mentioned throughout Act 1. What do the natives symbolize? Why is their presence important? How would Act 1 have been different if the natives were not present?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)