|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edward want to do with Harry?
2. When asked his opinion, how does Joshua describe the natives?
3. What does Edward feel about the story Joshua tells him?
4. Why is Edward sent inside by Clive?
5. How does Harry feel about himself after his discussion with Clive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Martin say it's difficult being married to Victoria?
2. Martin leaves alone after the ritual. What does this tell the audience about his position in this group?
3. In Act I, Scene 1, Harry introduces the reader to his family. Describe Harry's family.
4. Edward orders the women to stop playing catch. He believes that they are awful because they are women. How does this reflect the view on women during the time this play is occurring?
5. What is the significance of the discussion of the violence in video games?
6. Why may Betty be confused since her separation with Clive?
7. What does the presence of Lin's dead brother's spirit demonstrate?
8. What role does Joshua play in this family?
9. Cathy's painting includes details about everyone in her life except for Martin's in which she painted his "vagueness." What does this tell the audience about Martin's importance in the family?
10. Describe the relationship between Clive and Joshua.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the character of Edward. What is his importance in Cloud 9? Did his character develop throughout the story? If so, how? If not, why didn't he?
Essay Topic 2
How does society impact the plot? Identify an event in Cloud 9 that demonstrates an impact or view from the social component. How did society influence this event?
Essay Topic 3
The natives are mentioned throughout Act 1. What do the natives symbolize? Why is their presence important? How would Act 1 have been different if the natives were not present?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)