|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When asked his opinion, how does Joshua describe the natives?
2. Who warns Clive about the stable boys?
3. Who does Betty claim has been mean to her?
4. At the picnic, who is just as bad at the game as Betty and Ellen?
5. As everyone leaves the house, who does Clive hold back from exiting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why wouldn't Clive believe Edward when he blames Joshua for destroying the doll?
2. Martin tries to convince Victoria to take a job in another city. What does this tell the audience about Martin as a person?
3. Edward made fun of the women for trying to play sports, yet he wasn't much better. Why would he have made fun of them?
4. What is the significance of Cathy's rude skipping song?
5. Why would Joshua destroy the doll Edward adores so much?
6. Describe Maud's personality.
7. Betty proposes the idea of buying a large house for everyone to live in. What is the purpose of Betty wanting to do this?
8. Harry misunerstands Clive when he speaks about the "sanctuary of the affection between men." What does Clive mean by this statement?
9. Why would Edward not want Clive to hear about the incident with the doll from Ellen?
10. How does Maud's warning Clive to pay more attention to Betty foreshadow Betty's reaction to Harry's arrival?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Confusion is a major internal conflict many of the characters struggle with. Which character do you believe is the most confused? Why are they the most confused? What are they confused about? Are they able to resolve their confusion by the end of the story? If so, what decision do they come to?
Essay Topic 2
Mothering and nurture is a theme in the story. Pick any two mothers and compare their parenting style. How are they different? How are they the same? How is their relationship with their children? Does the relationship they have with their children correlate to their parenting techniques? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does society impact the plot? Identify an event in Cloud 9 that demonstrates an impact or view from the social component. How did society influence this event?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)