|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the men return from the stables, what does Mrs. Saunders ask Joshua?
2. Who confesses love for Betty during the second game at the picnic?
3. When Joshua is rude to Betty, who orders Joshua to obey Betty?
4. What does the play start with in Act I?
5. Who does Clive send for after settling Betty's situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the game hide and seek fit appropriately with the characters sharing feelings with each other as they encounter one another?
2. Describe the relationship between Clive and Joshua.
3. Edward quits his job to "keep house" for Victoria and Lin. Is this situation surprising?
4. Why would the characters only age 25 years if Act 2 takes place a 100 years later?
5. Why would Joshua be rude to Betty?
6. Mrs. Saunders narrowly escapes an attack by the natives. How does this situation make the others in Clive's family feel?
7. Ellen reveals to Clive that Edward has been playing with dolls. How does Clive react to this news? Is his reaction surprising?
8. Betty claims that Joshua, the servant, is being rude to her. When Clive confronts Joshua, his story is different. Why does Clive believe Joshua over his own wife?
9. Describe Maud's personality.
10. What does the presence of Lin's dead brother's spirit demonstrate?
Essay Topic 1
The natives are mentioned throughout Act 1. What do the natives symbolize? Why is their presence important? How would Act 1 have been different if the natives were not present?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of Act 1, Joshua aims a gun at Clive while Edward doesn't do anything to stop him. What is the significance of this event? Why would Joshua behave this way? Why wouldn't Edward try to prevent this?
Essay Topic 3
Is Cloud 9 an appropriate title for the story? Why or why not? Why do you believe the author would have chosen this title? Based on the storyline, what would you have named the story if you could change it? Why?
This section contains 1,398 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)