|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clive find difficult on a daily basis?
2. As everyone leaves the house, who does Clive hold back from exiting?
3. What has the destruction of the native village caused to happen?
4. What is Clive's advice to Harry?
5. Why does Betty protest the news of their upcoming visitor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Clive describe the life he has?
2. When Clive kisses Mrs. Saunders goodbye, Betty attacks her. Why does Betty act this way?
3. How does the game hide and seek fit appropriately with the characters sharing feelings with each other as they encounter one another?
4. Clive believes it is unsafe for anyone to leave the house. What does this tell the audience about the environment in which the characters live?
5. Betty tells Ellen that "she didn't get married to enjoy herself." What does this tell the reader about the idea of marriage?
6. Betty's split from Clive leaves everyone in a state of shock. How did others view the marriage of Clive and Betty?
7. Betty proposes the idea of buying a large house for everyone to live in. What is the purpose of Betty wanting to do this?
8. Why wouldn't Clive believe Edward when he blames Joshua for destroying the doll?
9. What is the significance of the discussion of the violence in video games?
10. Mrs. Saunders asks Joshua, if his "arm aches and whether he minds beating his own people." What does this comment imply about Mrs. Saunders' opinion on Joshua?
Essay Topic 1
Power is a theme within Cloud 9. Many of the characters want to be dominant, while others are more than happy as the subordinate. Which character do you believe holds the most power? What about that character makes them powerful? Did their power ever waiver? If so, when?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Mrs. Saunders and Maud. How are they same? How are they different? Provide an event from the story in which they both reacted differently.
Essay Topic 3
Is Cloud 9 an appropriate title for the story? Why or why not? Why do you believe the author would have chosen this title? Based on the storyline, what would you have named the story if you could change it? Why?
This section contains 1,487 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)