|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who catches Edward playing with the doll and yells at him?
2. What is Clive entrusted with for his job?
3. With whom does Clive appear when he re-enters the room from meeting with their guest in Act 1?
4. What does Betty and Clive's guest narrowly escape from while living in Africa?
5. Who does Clive suggest Harry marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Edward not want Clive to hear about the incident with the doll from Ellen?
2. Why would Joshua destroy the doll Edward adores so much?
3. Describe Lin's values in this scene.
4. Martin tries to convince Victoria to take a job in another city. What does this tell the audience about Martin as a person?
5. Why would the characters only age 25 years if Act 2 takes place a 100 years later?
6. Why does Martin say it's difficult being married to Victoria?
7. Cathy's painting includes details about everyone in her life except for Martin's in which she painted his "vagueness." What does this tell the audience about Martin's importance in the family?
8. Edward made fun of the women for trying to play sports, yet he wasn't much better. Why would he have made fun of them?
9. Harry misunerstands Clive when he speaks about the "sanctuary of the affection between men." What does Clive mean by this statement?
10. What is the significance of Cathy's rude skipping song?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marriage is a common topic discussed throughout the story. What is the shared feeling about marriage in the story? Why is marriage important to the character development and plot? What marriage appears to be the most stable? Why?
Essay Topic 2
At Harry and Ellen's wedding, Clive spoke about marriage to the guests, while Betty discussed marriage to the bride privately. How are their views on marriage different? Why may they have different views?
Essay Topic 3
Sexual gender is a unique concept that is fabricated upon throughout Cloud 9. Many of the female characters were played by men and vice versa. What is the significance of the author developing the characters in this way? Are the genders of the actors appropriate for the characters in which they play? Why or why not?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)