|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clive admit to knowing about his wife?
2. Who comes looking for Edward outside in Act 1, Scene 4?
3. Who does Betty claim has been mean to her?
4. What are the stable boys said to be doing?
5. During what time period does Act I occur?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why wouldn't Clive believe Edward when he blames Joshua for destroying the doll?
2. Ellen reveals to Clive that Edward has been playing with dolls. How does Clive react to this news? Is his reaction surprising?
3. Why would Lin, Victoria and Edward perform a ritual to invoke the ancient female goddess?
4. Martin leaves alone after the ritual. What does this tell the audience about his position in this group?
5. What is the significance of the discussion of the violence in video games?
6. How does the game hide and seek fit appropriately with the characters sharing feelings with each other as they encounter one another?
7. What can the doll Edward takes from Victoria symbolize?
8. Describe Lin's values in this scene.
9. Mrs. Saunders narrowly escapes an attack by the natives. How does this situation make the others in Clive's family feel?
10. Martin tries to convince Victoria to take a job in another city. What does this tell the audience about Martin as a person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Cloud 9 an appropriate title for the story? Why or why not? Why do you believe the author would have chosen this title? Based on the storyline, what would you have named the story if you could change it? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Sexual gender is a unique concept that is fabricated upon throughout Cloud 9. Many of the female characters were played by men and vice versa. What is the significance of the author developing the characters in this way? Are the genders of the actors appropriate for the characters in which they play? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The natives are mentioned throughout Act 1. What do the natives symbolize? Why is their presence important? How would Act 1 have been different if the natives were not present?
This section contains 1,424 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)