|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maud feel about children in general?
2. How does Betty react to Ellen's second confession?
3. After everyone leaves the house, what does Clive confess?
4. Who does Clive suggest Harry marry?
5. Why does Mrs. Saunders go outside while the men are in the stables?
Short Essay Questions
1. Betty discusses with Martin his marital problems with her daughter,Victoria. Is Betty judgmental about her daughter's current living situation? Give examples to support your answer.
2. Betty tells Ellen that "she didn't get married to enjoy herself." What does this tell the reader about the idea of marriage?
3. Why would Joshua be rude to Betty?
4. Describe the relationship between Clive and Joshua.
5. Describe Lin's values in this scene.
6. Betty proposes the idea of buying a large house for everyone to live in. What is the purpose of Betty wanting to do this?
7. What is the significance of the discussion of the violence in video games?
8. What evidence is provided that Clive and Betty's marriage is in trouble?
9. At the end of the Act, Joshua points a gun at Clive and Edward stands by and does nothing. What do these events signify?
10. What is the significance of Clive arranging a marriage between Harry and Betty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does society impact the plot? Identify an event in Cloud 9 that demonstrates an impact or view from the social component. How did society influence this event?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of Act 1, Joshua aims a gun at Clive while Edward doesn't do anything to stop him. What is the significance of this event? Why would Joshua behave this way? Why wouldn't Edward try to prevent this?
Essay Topic 3
Confusion is a major internal conflict many of the characters struggle with. Which character do you believe is the most confused? Why are they the most confused? What are they confused about? Are they able to resolve their confusion by the end of the story? If so, what decision do they come to?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)