Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Clive send for after settling Betty's situation?
2. After Mrs. Saunders arrives, what do Clive and Joshua go outside to do?
3. What does Mrs. Saunders tell Clive about Joshua's family?
4. After Edward is scolded for playing with the doll, why does Ellen burst into tears?
5. During the dispute about Edward's doll, who does Maud slap?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act I, Scene 1, Harry introduces the reader to his family. Describe Harry's family.
2. In this Act 2 Scene 4, several characters from Act 1 have resurfaced. What is the significance of this?
3. Why would Edward lie about Joshua stealing Ellen's necklace when he had it all along?
4. Edward orders the women to stop playing catch. He believes that they are awful because they are women. How does this reflect the view on women during the time this play is occurring?
5. Mrs. Saunders asks Joshua, if his "arm aches and whether he minds beating his own people." What does this comment imply about Mrs. Saunders' opinion on Joshua?
6. At the end of the Act, Joshua points a gun at Clive and Edward stands by and does nothing. What do these events signify?
7. How does Clive describe the life he has?
8. Has the value in marriage changed over 100 years, from Act 1 to Act 2? Give evidence to support your answer.
9. Betty proposes the idea of buying a large house for everyone to live in. What is the purpose of Betty wanting to do this?
10. Harry confesses his passion for Betty when Clive is securing the barn. What does this tell you about Harry's value for friendship?
Essay Topic 1
Is the Betty from Act 1 embracing the Betty from Act 2 an appropriate way to end Cloud 9? Why or why not? What does this embrace symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
Confusion is a major internal conflict many of the characters struggle with. Which character do you believe is the most confused? Why are they the most confused? What are they confused about? Are they able to resolve their confusion by the end of the story? If so, what decision do they come to?
Essay Topic 3
Although many of the conflicts are internalized within the characters, there are some external conflicts within the plot. What is one of the most crucial external conflict in Cloud 9? Why is this conflict so important?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)