|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Edward react to Clive's taunts during the game at the picnic?
2. How does Betty react to Ellen's second confession?
3. What does Clive try to convince Mrs. Saunders to do when they are in the open field?
4. At the picnic, who is just as bad at the game as Betty and Ellen?
5. What is Mrs. Saunders initial reaction to Clive's request?
Short Essay Questions
1. Edward made fun of the women for trying to play sports, yet he wasn't much better. Why would he have made fun of them?
2. At the end of the Act, Joshua points a gun at Clive and Edward stands by and does nothing. What do these events signify?
3. Betty discusses with Martin his marital problems with her daughter,Victoria. Is Betty judgmental about her daughter's current living situation? Give examples to support your answer.
4. Describe Lin's values in this scene.
5. Why wouldn't Clive believe Edward when he blames Joshua for destroying the doll?
6. Harry confesses his passion for Betty when Clive is securing the barn. What does this tell you about Harry's value for friendship?
7. When Clive kisses Mrs. Saunders goodbye, Betty attacks her. Why does Betty act this way?
8. How does Betty feel about spending time with other women? Why does she feel this way?
9. Ellen reveals to Clive that Edward has been playing with dolls. How does Clive react to this news? Is his reaction surprising?
10. Edward orders the women to stop playing catch. He believes that they are awful because they are women. How does this reflect the view on women during the time this play is occurring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Children play a large role in the story Cloud 9. Why is the presence of children significant? How are the children of Victoria and Edward different than Cathy and Tommy? How are they the same? Do any of the other characters have childlike characteristics? If so, who?
Essay Topic 2
How does society impact the plot? Identify an event in Cloud 9 that demonstrates an impact or view from the social component. How did society influence this event?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the setting of Africa during the time of the British Empire to modern day London. How are the settings similar? How are the settings different? Are the settings appropriate for the storyline that took place within them? Why or why not?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)