|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Edward's confession about the doll, where does Clive suggest they all go?
2. What does Ellen confess to Betty again while they are outside?
3. After the men return from the stables, what does Mrs. Saunders ask Joshua?
4. How are the stable boys different from Joshua?
5. What has the destruction of the native village caused to happen?
Short Essay Questions
1. After learning his parents were killed in the village that was destroyed, Joshua says that Clive is both "his mother and his father." What does Joshua mean by this statement?
2. Why would Lin, Victoria and Edward perform a ritual to invoke the ancient female goddess?
3. Why would Edward not want Clive to hear about the incident with the doll from Ellen?
4. Mrs. Saunders narrowly escapes an attack by the natives. How does this situation make the others in Clive's family feel?
5. Why would Edward shout at Joshua to obey Betty?
6. How does the game hide and seek fit appropriately with the characters sharing feelings with each other as they encounter one another?
7. Ellen reveals to Clive that Edward has been playing with dolls. How does Clive react to this news? Is his reaction surprising?
8. When Clive returns home, Betty tells him about all the "womanly things" she has done like playing piano and reading poetry. What does Betty's actions tell the reader about the roles of women?
9. What does the bringing of Martin into the ritual represent?
10. Betty claims that Joshua, the servant, is being rude to her. When Clive confronts Joshua, his story is different. Why does Clive believe Joshua over his own wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although many of the conflicts are internalized within the characters, there are some external conflicts within the plot. What is one of the most crucial external conflict in Cloud 9? Why is this conflict so important?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of Act 1, Joshua aims a gun at Clive while Edward doesn't do anything to stop him. What is the significance of this event? Why would Joshua behave this way? Why wouldn't Edward try to prevent this?
Essay Topic 3
Is the Betty from Act 1 embracing the Betty from Act 2 an appropriate way to end Cloud 9? Why or why not? What does this embrace symbolize?
This section contains 1,502 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)