|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who warns Clive about the stable boys?
2. Why does Maud quit the second game during the picnic?
3. How does Betty greet Clive when he returns?
4. What are the stable boys said to be doing?
5. When Clive enters the house from being in the stables, why does Edward rush in to tell Clive about the doll?
Short Essay Questions
1. Cathy's painting includes details about everyone in her life except for Martin's in which she painted his "vagueness." What does this tell the audience about Martin's importance in the family?
2. Gerry "if they can do together what they did before" to the Edward the audience met in Act 1. Where has the reader seen this question before and why is it significant?
3. What is the significance of the discussion of the violence in video games?
4. What view of Edward does his confession to Victoria allow the audience to have?
5. Edward made fun of the women for trying to play sports, yet he wasn't much better. Why would he have made fun of them?
6. What is Harry and Betty's relationship?
7. Betty tells Ellen that "she didn't get married to enjoy herself." What does this tell the reader about the idea of marriage?
8. Why would Joshua be rude to Betty?
9. What does Clive's "empire" symbolize?
10. Harry misunerstands Clive when he speaks about the "sanctuary of the affection between men." What does Clive mean by this statement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The natives are mentioned throughout Act 1. What do the natives symbolize? Why is their presence important? How would Act 1 have been different if the natives were not present?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the character of Edward. What is his importance in Cloud 9? Did his character develop throughout the story? If so, how? If not, why didn't he?
Essay Topic 3
Confusion is a major internal conflict many of the characters struggle with. Which character do you believe is the most confused? Why are they the most confused? What are they confused about? Are they able to resolve their confusion by the end of the story? If so, what decision do they come to?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)