|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the play start with in Act I?
(a) A death.
(b) A war.
(c) A patriotic song.
(d) A birth.
2. Who admires Clive's life?
3. What does Clive find difficult on a daily basis?
(a) Finding food for his family.
(b) To keep away the natives.
(c) To live where they are.
(d) To hold up the standards of his empire.
4. How does Betty greet Clive when he returns?
(a) With a home cooked meal.
(b) With a new pet.
(c) With a welcome home party.
(d) By telling him about all the womanly things she's done.
5. What does Edward want to do with Harry?
(a) Build a new house.
(b) Go on explorations with him.
(c) Fight the natives.
(d) Go fishing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clive try to convince Mrs. Saunders to do when they are in the open field?
2. What does Clive predict will cause Betty to have some excitement in the near future?
3. As Betty runs out to greet their guest, what does Maud warn Betty about?
4. What has the destruction of the native village caused to happen?
5. What does Betty ask Joshua to retrieve in Act 1, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. In this Act 2 Scene 4, several characters from Act 1 have resurfaced. What is the significance of this?
2. Why may Betty be confused since her separation with Clive?
3. Edward quits his job to "keep house" for Victoria and Lin. Is this situation surprising?
4. Betty discusses with Martin his marital problems with her daughter,Victoria. Is Betty judgmental about her daughter's current living situation? Give examples to support your answer.
5. Edward made fun of the women for trying to play sports, yet he wasn't much better. Why would he have made fun of them?
6. Betty tells Ellen that "she didn't get married to enjoy herself." What does this tell the reader about the idea of marriage?
7. Clive believes it is unsafe for anyone to leave the house. What does this tell the audience about the environment in which the characters live?
8. Why would the characters only age 25 years if Act 2 takes place a 100 years later?
9. What is the significance of Joshua telling Edward a story about his people?
10. After learning his parents were killed in the village that was destroyed, Joshua says that Clive is both "his mother and his father." What does Joshua mean by this statement?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)