|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Saunders tell Clive about Joshua's family?
(a) They are living in wealth.
(b) That they were killed in the village fire.
(c) They are murdering people.
(d) That they have fled the village.
2. How does Maud feel about Mrs. Saunders going outside with the men?
(a) She is worried for her.
(b) She encourages her.
(c) She is angry.
(d) That it's unwomanly.
3. What does Betty reveal to Clive about Edward, his son?
(a) That Edward is depressed.
(b) That Edward is a happy child.
(c) That Edward is a bully.
(d) That Edward plays with Victoria's dolls.
4. At the picnic, who saves the disagreement over the game?
5. What does Betty ask Clive for during their private discussion inside?
(a) A divorce.
(b) More children.
(c) Clive's forgiveness.
(d) More servants.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clive react when his life is discussed?
2. What does Clive predict will cause Betty to have some excitement in the near future?
3. Why does Mrs. Saunders go outside while the men are in the stables?
4. After the men return from the stables, what does Mrs. Saunders ask Joshua?
5. Who does Betty claim has been mean to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Joshua be rude to Betty?
2. Gerry "if they can do together what they did before" to the Edward the audience met in Act 1. Where has the reader seen this question before and why is it significant?
3. Mrs. Saunders narrowly escapes an attack by the natives. How does this situation make the others in Clive's family feel?
4. What evidence is provided that Clive and Betty's marriage is in trouble?
5. Describe the relationship between Clive and Joshua.
6. What can the doll Edward takes from Victoria symbolize?
7. At the end of the Act, Joshua points a gun at Clive and Edward stands by and does nothing. What do these events signify?
8. Martin tries to convince Victoria to take a job in another city. What does this tell the audience about Martin as a person?
9. What view of Edward does his confession to Victoria allow the audience to have?
10. How does Clive feel that Betty is "eroding" away the standards of his empire?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)