|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the men return from the stables, what does Mrs. Saunders ask Joshua?
(a) If he did his chores.
(b) If he is tired.
(c) If he minds beating his own people.
(d) If he is hungry.
2. What kind of story does Joshua tell Edward while they are on the porch?
(b) The story of his birth.
(c) A story of his people and creation of the world.
(d) A fairy tale.
3. What does Clive spill on his pants at the picnic?
4. After investigating Betty's claim about who was mean to her, who does Clive believe?
5. When Joshua is rude to Betty, who orders Joshua to obey Betty?
(a) Mrs. Saunders.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clive encourage Betty to do during their private discussion?
2. What does Betty ask Joshua to retrieve in Act 1, Scene 3?
3. Why do Maud, Betty, Mrs. Saunders and Victoria wait inside while the men go to the stables?
4. Who rules Africa during Act I?
5. Why does Maud quit the second game during the picnic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would Edward not want Clive to hear about the incident with the doll from Ellen?
2. Has the value in marriage changed over 100 years, from Act 1 to Act 2? Give evidence to support your answer.
3. Ellen reveals to Clive that Edward has been playing with dolls. How does Clive react to this news? Is his reaction surprising?
4. Cathy's painting includes details about everyone in her life except for Martin's in which she painted his "vagueness." What does this tell the audience about Martin's importance in the family?
5. Why does Martin say it's difficult being married to Victoria?
6. Harry misunerstands Clive when he speaks about the "sanctuary of the affection between men." What does Clive mean by this statement?
7. What is Harry and Betty's relationship?
8. At the end of the Act, Joshua points a gun at Clive and Edward stands by and does nothing. What do these events signify?
9. What is the significance of Cathy's rude skipping song?
10. When Clive kisses Mrs. Saunders goodbye, Betty attacks her. Why does Betty act this way?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)