|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Clive send for after settling Betty's situation?
(d) His children.
2. What does Edward offer Harry during the second game at the picnic?
(a) A necklace he stole.
(b) A wallet he stole.
(c) Money he stole.
(d) His love.
3. Who catches Edward playing with the doll and yells at him?
(b) Mrs. Saunders.
4. After Mrs. Saunders arrives, what do Clive and Joshua go outside to do?
(a) Put out the fire.
(b) Fight the natives.
(c) Secure the barn.
(d) Hunt for food.
5. Who is "eroding" the standards of Clive's empire?
(a) The natives.
(c) His children.
(d) His wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does Clive have in his family?
2. After Edward protests to the adults about playing with the doll, what happens to him?
3. In Act I, what is interesting about the genders of Betty and Edward?
4. How does Betty react to Ellen's second confession?
5. How does Betty greet Clive when he returns?
Short Essay Questions
1. Betty tells Ellen that "she didn't get married to enjoy herself." What does this tell the reader about the idea of marriage?
2. What is the significance of the Betty from Act 1 and the Betty from Act 2 embracing at the end of the play?
3. Betty discusses with Martin his marital problems with her daughter,Victoria. Is Betty judgmental about her daughter's current living situation? Give examples to support your answer.
4. Mrs. Saunders asks Joshua, if his "arm aches and whether he minds beating his own people." What does this comment imply about Mrs. Saunders' opinion on Joshua?
5. Why would Joshua destroy the doll Edward adores so much?
6. What does the bringing of Martin into the ritual represent?
7. Why would Edward lie about Joshua stealing Ellen's necklace when he had it all along?
8. What can the doll Edward takes from Victoria symbolize?
9. At the end of the Act, Joshua points a gun at Clive and Edward stands by and does nothing. What do these events signify?
10. Why wouldn't Clive believe Edward when he blames Joshua for destroying the doll?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)