|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who catches Edward playing with the doll and yells at him?
(c) Mrs. Saunders.
2. When Clive and Harry join Edward and Joshua on the porch, what does Clive tell Harry about?
(a) His unhappy life.
(b) His plans to travel.
(c) Trouble with the natives.
(d) His marriage problems.
3. What does Edward protest when he is yelled at for playing with the doll?
(a) That Victoria doesn't like or play with the doll.
(b) That Clive lets him.
(c) He had the doll first.
(d) He denies it.
4. What does Clive feel is important in life?
(a) His children.
(b) The bond in marriage.
(c) Keeping his family safe.
(d) The affection between men.
5. As the games continue during the picnic who shows disappointment in Betty's behavior regarding other people?
Short Answer Questions
1. When Joshua is rude to Betty, who orders Joshua to obey Betty?
2. What does Ellen confess to Betty again while they are outside?
3. What is Clive entrusted with for his job?
4. Why does Harry refuse Edward's request in Act 1, Scene 4?
5. What is Clive's advice to Harry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Martin leaves alone after the ritual. What does this tell the audience about his position in this group?
2. Betty's split from Clive leaves everyone in a state of shock. How did others view the marriage of Clive and Betty?
3. Why does Martin say it's difficult being married to Victoria?
4. In Act I, Scene 1, Harry introduces the reader to his family. Describe Harry's family.
5. What is the significance of Joshua telling Edward a story about his people?
6. In this Act 2 Scene 4, several characters from Act 1 have resurfaced. What is the significance of this?
7. What does the bringing of Martin into the ritual represent?
8. Why would Joshua be rude to Betty?
9. Why would Joshua destroy the doll Edward adores so much?
10. Has the value in marriage changed over 100 years, from Act 1 to Act 2? Give evidence to support your answer.
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)