Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Clive send for after settling Betty's situation?
(c) His children.
2. After Mrs. Saunders arrives, what do Clive and Joshua go outside to do?
(a) Secure the barn.
(b) Hunt for food.
(c) Fight the natives.
(d) Put out the fire.
3. What does Mrs. Saunders tell Clive about Joshua's family?
(a) They are living in wealth.
(b) That they have fled the village.
(c) That they were killed in the village fire.
(d) They are murdering people.
4. After Edward is scolded for playing with the doll, why does Ellen burst into tears?
(a) She feels bad for her actions.
(b) Because she is rebuked by Betty.
(c) She twisted her ankle.
(d) Her boyfriend broke up with her.
5. During the dispute about Edward's doll, who does Maud slap?
Short Answer Questions
1. As characters find themselves alone with each other during the second game, what happens?
2. When asked his opinion, how does Joshua describe the natives?
3. Who does Betty claim has been mean to her?
4. With whom does Clive appear when he re-enters the room from meeting with their guest in Act 1?
5. After investigating Betty's claim about who was mean to her, who does Clive believe?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act I, Scene 1, Harry introduces the reader to his family. Describe Harry's family.
2. In this Act 2 Scene 4, several characters from Act 1 have resurfaced. What is the significance of this?
3. Why would Edward lie about Joshua stealing Ellen's necklace when he had it all along?
4. Edward orders the women to stop playing catch. He believes that they are awful because they are women. How does this reflect the view on women during the time this play is occurring?
5. Mrs. Saunders asks Joshua, if his "arm aches and whether he minds beating his own people." What does this comment imply about Mrs. Saunders' opinion on Joshua?
6. At the end of the Act, Joshua points a gun at Clive and Edward stands by and does nothing. What do these events signify?
7. How does Clive describe the life he has?
8. Has the value in marriage changed over 100 years, from Act 1 to Act 2? Give evidence to support your answer.
9. Betty proposes the idea of buying a large house for everyone to live in. What is the purpose of Betty wanting to do this?
10. Harry confesses his passion for Betty when Clive is securing the barn. What does this tell you about Harry's value for friendship?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)