|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After everyone leaves the house, what does Clive confess?
(a) He loves someone else.
(b) He is afraid.
(c) How difficult the whipping was.
(d) He wants a divorce.
2. What does Maud feel about children in general?
(a) They are useless.
(b) They should be in bed when the sun goes down.
(c) They should keep their mouths shut.
(d) They should honor their parents.
3. Who catches Edward playing with the doll and yells at him?
(b) Mrs. Saunders.
4. How does Betty greet Clive when he returns?
(a) With a new pet.
(b) With a welcome home party.
(c) With a home cooked meal.
(d) By telling him about all the womanly things she's done.
5. After Edward protests to the adults about playing with the doll, what happens to him?
(a) He gets slapped by Betty and Ellen.
(b) Victoria takes her doll.
(c) He runs away.
(d) Clive hits him.
Short Answer Questions
1. When asked his opinion, how does Joshua describe the natives?
2. As Betty runs out to greet their guest, what does Maud warn Betty about?
3. With whom does Clive appear when he re-enters the room from meeting with their guest in Act 1?
4. After investigating Betty's claim about who was mean to her, who does Clive believe?
5. What are Ellen and Betty playing at the picnic?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the park, Edward gives Martin directions on how to take care of Tommy even though Martin is Tommy's father. What does this tell the audience about Martin's fathering skills?
2. At the end of the Act, Joshua points a gun at Clive and Edward stands by and does nothing. What do these events signify?
3. Describe the relationship between Clive and Joshua.
4. What is the significance of Cathy's rude skipping song?
5. Betty proposes the idea of buying a large house for everyone to live in. What is the purpose of Betty wanting to do this?
6. Betty claims that Joshua, the servant, is being rude to her. When Clive confronts Joshua, his story is different. Why does Clive believe Joshua over his own wife?
7. What does Clive's "empire" symbolize?
8. What can the doll Edward takes from Victoria symbolize?
9. Why would Joshua be rude to Betty?
10. Why would Lin, Victoria and Edward perform a ritual to invoke the ancient female goddess?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)