|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has the destruction of the native village caused to happen?
(a) Disease has ravaged the area.
(b) The army is coming in.
(c) People are coming to rebuild.
(d) People have deserted the area.
2. Who rules Africa during Act I?
(a) The United States.
(d) The British Empire.
3. What is Clive entrusted with for his job?
(a) The native villagers.
(b) Building weapons.
(c) The gold in the area.
(d) The Queen's land.
4. What role does Clive have in his family?
(a) The father.
(b) The grandfather.
(c) The grandson.
(d) The son.
5. What does Clive spill on his pants at the picnic?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Betty reveal to Clive about Edward, his son?
2. After everyone leaves the house, what does Clive confess?
3. Who admires Clive's life?
4. Why does Betty protest the news of their upcoming visitor?
5. What does Clive encourage Betty to do during their private discussion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Edward orders the women to stop playing catch. He believes that they are awful because they are women. How does this reflect the view on women during the time this play is occurring?
2. Betty discusses with Martin his marital problems with her daughter,Victoria. Is Betty judgmental about her daughter's current living situation? Give examples to support your answer.
3. In this Act 2 Scene 4, several characters from Act 1 have resurfaced. What is the significance of this?
4. Betty claims that Joshua, the servant, is being rude to her. When Clive confronts Joshua, his story is different. Why does Clive believe Joshua over his own wife?
5. Cathy's painting includes details about everyone in her life except for Martin's in which she painted his "vagueness." What does this tell the audience about Martin's importance in the family?
6. After learning his parents were killed in the village that was destroyed, Joshua says that Clive is both "his mother and his father." What does Joshua mean by this statement?
7. Describe Maud's personality.
8. Betty's split from Clive leaves everyone in a state of shock. How did others view the marriage of Clive and Betty?
9. What can the doll Edward takes from Victoria symbolize?
10. What does the presence of Lin's dead brother's spirit demonstrate?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)