|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who orders Ellen and Betty to stop playing at the picnic?
(d) Mrs. Saunders.
2. What does Clive admit to knowing about his wife?
(a) That she's lazy.
(b) That she's in love with a woman.
(c) That she's in love with another man.
(d) That she's a terrible mother.
3. What has the destruction of the native village caused to happen?
(a) People are coming to rebuild.
(b) The army is coming in.
(c) People have deserted the area.
(d) Disease has ravaged the area.
4. Who confesses love for Betty during the second game at the picnic?
(d) Mrs. Saunders.
5. What role does Clive have in his family?
(a) The grandfather.
(b) The son.
(c) The grandson.
(d) The father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Clive send for after settling Betty's situation?
2. Who stands alone and still on the porch for a long time while everyone is inside?
3. How does Betty react to Ellen's second confession?
4. Who catches Edward playing with the doll and yells at him?
5. Why is Edward sent inside by Clive?
Short Essay Questions
1. In this Act 2 Scene 4, several characters from Act 1 have resurfaced. What is the significance of this?
2. Clive believes it is unsafe for anyone to leave the house. What does this tell the audience about the environment in which the characters live?
3. Cathy's painting includes details about everyone in her life except for Martin's in which she painted his "vagueness." What does this tell the audience about Martin's importance in the family?
4. In the park, Edward gives Martin directions on how to take care of Tommy even though Martin is Tommy's father. What does this tell the audience about Martin's fathering skills?
5. What is the significance of Cathy's rude skipping song?
6. When Clive kisses Mrs. Saunders goodbye, Betty attacks her. Why does Betty act this way?
7. What evidence is provided that Clive and Betty's marriage is in trouble?
8. Describe Maud's personality.
9. What is the significance of Clive arranging a marriage between Harry and Betty?
10. Gerry "if they can do together what they did before" to the Edward the audience met in Act 1. Where has the reader seen this question before and why is it significant?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)