|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clive predict will cause Betty to have some excitement in the near future?
(a) A visit from a rival tribe.
(b) A visit from Harry.
(c) A visit from the Red Cross.
(d) A visit from her sister.
2. Why do Maud, Betty, Mrs. Saunders and Victoria wait inside while the men go to the stables?
(a) The natives are outside.
(b) Clive is fighting with Joshua.
(c) There is a storm.
(d) Clive is whipping the stable boys.
3. As Betty runs out to greet their guest, what does Maud warn Betty about?
(a) To stay away from Harry.
(b) To not trust Joshua.
(c) To never leave the children alone.
(d) To remember her place as Clive's wife.
4. What does Betty reveal to Clive about Edward, his son?
(a) That Edward plays with Victoria's dolls.
(b) That Edward is a happy child.
(c) That Edward is a bully.
(d) That Edward is depressed.
5. What does Clive feel is important in life?
(a) The affection between men.
(b) Keeping his family safe.
(c) The bond in marriage.
(d) His children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Saunders go outside while the men are in the stables?
2. Where does Clive arrive home from?
3. What does Edward want to do with Harry?
4. What does Edward offer Harry during the second game at the picnic?
5. What is Clive entrusted with for his job?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Clive describe the life he has?
2. What does the bringing of Martin into the ritual represent?
3. What does Clive's "empire" symbolize?
4. Betty discusses with Martin his marital problems with her daughter,Victoria. Is Betty judgmental about her daughter's current living situation? Give examples to support your answer.
5. What evidence is provided that Clive and Betty's marriage is in trouble?
6. How does Maud's warning Clive to pay more attention to Betty foreshadow Betty's reaction to Harry's arrival?
7. What can the doll Edward takes from Victoria symbolize?
8. Why may Betty be confused since her separation with Clive?
9. Edward orders the women to stop playing catch. He believes that they are awful because they are women. How does this reflect the view on women during the time this play is occurring?
10. What is the significance of Clive arranging a marriage between Harry and Betty?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)