|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Clive entrusted with for his job?
(a) The native villagers.
(b) Building weapons.
(c) The gold in the area.
(d) The Queen's land.
2. Why is Edward sent inside by Clive?
(a) To make a fire.
(b) To bathe.
(c) To wash dishes.
(d) To eat breakfast.
3. Why does Betty protest the news of their upcoming visitor?
(a) The house is a mess.
(b) She is afraid for their safety.
(c) They don't have the money to entertain.
(d) She is not fond of them.
4. What does Clive feel is important in life?
(a) Keeping his family safe.
(b) The affection between men.
(c) His children.
(d) The bond in marriage.
5. What does Clive predict will cause Betty to have some excitement in the near future?
(a) A visit from a rival tribe.
(b) A visit from Harry.
(c) A visit from her sister.
(d) A visit from the Red Cross.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does Clive have in his family?
2. Who does Clive suggest Harry marry?
3. Who admires Clive's life?
4. What does Clive find difficult on a daily basis?
5. How does Betty greet Clive when he returns?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would the characters only age 25 years if Act 2 takes place a 100 years later?
2. Why would Edward not want Clive to hear about the incident with the doll from Ellen?
3. What is the significance of Clive arranging a marriage between Harry and Betty?
4. When Clive returns home, Betty tells him about all the "womanly things" she has done like playing piano and reading poetry. What does Betty's actions tell the reader about the roles of women?
5. Martin tries to convince Victoria to take a job in another city. What does this tell the audience about Martin as a person?
6. Betty's split from Clive leaves everyone in a state of shock. How did others view the marriage of Clive and Betty?
7. How does Clive describe the life he has?
8. What is the relationship between Betty and Clive?
9. Betty proposes the idea of buying a large house for everyone to live in. What is the purpose of Betty wanting to do this?
10. Betty claims that Joshua, the servant, is being rude to her. When Clive confronts Joshua, his story is different. Why does Clive believe Joshua over his own wife?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)