|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Clive's advice to Harry?
(a) To give up.
(b) He doesn't have any advice for him.
(c) To enjoy what he has.
(d) To start seeking.
2. Who brings the children to Clive after Clive tells his family about the natives?
3. During the dispute about Edward's doll, who does Maud slap?
4. Who calls Edward names while he is playing with the doll again?
5. After Edward's confession about the doll, where does Clive suggest they all go?
(a) Into town.
(b) Hide in the basement.
(c) Far away from there.
(d) On the porch.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the play start with in Act I?
2. What does Edward protest when he is yelled at for playing with the doll?
3. When Joshua is rude to Betty, who orders Joshua to obey Betty?
4. How are the stable boys different from Joshua?
5. What is Clive entrusted with for his job?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of the Act, Joshua points a gun at Clive and Edward stands by and does nothing. What do these events signify?
2. What role does Joshua play in this family?
3. What is the significance of the Betty from Act 1 and the Betty from Act 2 embracing at the end of the play?
4. How does Clive feel that Betty is "eroding" away the standards of his empire?
5. What does Clive's "empire" symbolize?
6. Has the value in marriage changed over 100 years, from Act 1 to Act 2? Give evidence to support your answer.
7. Describe Lin's values in this scene.
8. What is Harry and Betty's relationship?
9. Ellen reveals to Clive that Edward has been playing with dolls. How does Clive react to this news? Is his reaction surprising?
10. Why would Edward not want Clive to hear about the incident with the doll from Ellen?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)