|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Betty ask Clive for during their private discussion inside?
(a) More servants.
(b) More children.
(c) Clive's forgiveness.
(d) A divorce.
2. What does Clive find difficult on a daily basis?
(a) To hold up the standards of his empire.
(b) Finding food for his family.
(c) To live where they are.
(d) To keep away the natives.
3. With whom does Clive appear when he re-enters the room from meeting with their guest in Act 1?
(d) Mrs. Saunders.
4. During what time period does Act I occur?
(a) Present day.
(b) The early-1900s.
(c) The late-1800s.
5. When Clive enters the house from being in the stables, why does Edward rush in to tell Clive about the doll?
(a) He is afraid.
(b) He wants to tell Clive before Ellen.
(c) He is happy to see his father.
(d) He is excited.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Clive suggest Harry marry?
2. When Clive and Harry join Edward and Joshua on the porch, what does Clive tell Harry about?
3. Who comes looking for Edward outside in Act 1, Scene 4?
4. How are the stable boys different from Joshua?
5. What causes Clive to react with disgust when he is talking to Harry?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the park, Edward gives Martin directions on how to take care of Tommy even though Martin is Tommy's father. What does this tell the audience about Martin's fathering skills?
2. Edward made fun of the women for trying to play sports, yet he wasn't much better. Why would he have made fun of them?
3. Mrs. Saunders narrowly escapes an attack by the natives. How does this situation make the others in Clive's family feel?
4. How does Betty feel about spending time with other women? Why does she feel this way?
5. Describe Lin's values in this scene.
6. What is the significance of Cathy's rude skipping song?
7. What is the significance of Joshua telling Edward a story about his people?
8. Why doesn't Ellen want Betty to run off with Harry?
9. Betty claims that Joshua, the servant, is being rude to her. When Clive confronts Joshua, his story is different. Why does Clive believe Joshua over his own wife?
10. Why would Edward shout at Joshua to obey Betty?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)