|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clive predict will cause Betty to have some excitement in the near future?
(a) A visit from Harry.
(b) A visit from her sister.
(c) A visit from the Red Cross.
(d) A visit from a rival tribe.
2. After Mrs. Saunders arrives, what do Clive and Joshua go outside to do?
(a) Secure the barn.
(b) Hunt for food.
(c) Put out the fire.
(d) Fight the natives.
3. What does Clive spill on his pants at the picnic?
4. Who catches Edward playing with the doll and yells at him?
(c) Mrs. Saunders.
5. Who witnesses the confessions made by Betty and Harry?
(a) Mrs. Saunders.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Clive arrive home from?
2. Who calls Edward names while he is playing with the doll again?
3. Who stands alone and still on the porch for a long time while everyone is inside?
4. Who warns Clive about the stable boys?
5. What does Clive admit to knowing about his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clive's "empire" symbolize?
2. Cathy's painting includes details about everyone in her life except for Martin's in which she painted his "vagueness." What does this tell the audience about Martin's importance in the family?
3. How does Clive describe the life he has?
4. Why would the characters only age 25 years if Act 2 takes place a 100 years later?
5. Clive believes it is unsafe for anyone to leave the house. What does this tell the audience about the environment in which the characters live?
6. In the park, Edward gives Martin directions on how to take care of Tommy even though Martin is Tommy's father. What does this tell the audience about Martin's fathering skills?
7. Mrs. Saunders narrowly escapes an attack by the natives. How does this situation make the others in Clive's family feel?
8. Edward quits his job to "keep house" for Victoria and Lin. Is this situation surprising?
9. What does the park symbolize?
10. What evidence is provided that Clive and Betty's marriage is in trouble?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)