|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Betty protest the news of their upcoming visitor?
(a) They don't have the money to entertain.
(b) She is not fond of them.
(c) She is afraid for their safety.
(d) The house is a mess.
2. How does Clive react when his life is discussed?
(a) He gets angry.
(b) He gets depressed.
(c) He is embarrassed.
(d) He brags about it.
3. In Act I, what is interesting about the genders of Betty and Edward?
(a) They were once both men.
(b) The genders of the actors that play them are opposite of the characters' genders.
(c) The actors' genders are the same as the characters.
4. Why does Mrs. Saunders go outside while the men are in the stables?
(a) She forgot to feed the horses.
(b) To see what was going on.
(c) She hears screaming.
(d) It's too hot inside.
5. What is Betty's reaction to Clive's confession?
(a) She comforts him.
(b) She slaps him.
(c) She leaves.
(d) She cries.
6. Why does Maud quit the second game during the picnic?
(a) She thinks the game is silly.
(b) She gets stung by an insect.
(c) She thinks she hears something.
(d) She gets scared.
7. How are the stable boys different from Joshua?
(a) They are older.
(b) They are getting paid.
(c) They are members of a different tribe.
(d) They are white.
8. Who catches Edward playing with the doll and yells at him?
(a) Mrs. Saunders.
9. After everyone leaves the house, what does Clive confess?
(a) He loves someone else.
(b) How difficult the whipping was.
(c) He is afraid.
(d) He wants a divorce.
10. At the picnic, who saves the disagreement over the game?
11. Why is Edward sent inside by Clive?
(a) To eat breakfast.
(b) To bathe.
(c) To make a fire.
(d) To wash dishes.
12. How does Betty react to Ellen's second confession?
(a) She feels sorry for Ellen.
(b) She is very surprised.
(c) She misunderstands her and sends her inside.
(d) She is angry.
13. As Betty runs out to greet their guest, what does Maud warn Betty about?
(a) To remember her place as Clive's wife.
(b) To not trust Joshua.
(c) To never leave the children alone.
(d) To stay away from Harry.
14. What are the stable boys said to be doing?
(a) Planning a war.
(c) Whispering and sneaking out.
(d) Giving the other tribe secrets.
15. After Edward is scolded for playing with the doll, why does Ellen burst into tears?
(a) She feels bad for her actions.
(b) Because she is rebuked by Betty.
(c) She twisted her ankle.
(d) Her boyfriend broke up with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Edward protest when he is yelled at for playing with the doll?
2. What does Clive feel is important in life?
3. What does Betty reveal to Clive about Edward, his son?
4. Who stands alone and still on the porch for a long time while everyone is inside?
5. What does Betty ask Clive for during their private discussion inside?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)