|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before the children arrive, what does Maud tell Clive to do?
(a) Pay more attention to Betty.
(b) Fire Joshua.
(c) Stand up for his family more.
(d) Give his children a better allowance.
2. What does the play start with in Act I?
(a) A birth.
(b) A death.
(c) A patriotic song.
(d) A war.
3. During what time period does Act I occur?
(a) The early-1900s.
(b) Present day.
(d) The late-1800s.
4. What does Maud feel about children in general?
(a) They should keep their mouths shut.
(b) They should honor their parents.
(c) They should be in bed when the sun goes down.
(d) They are useless.
5. What does Betty and Clive's guest narrowly escape from while living in Africa?
(c) An attack by the natives.
(d) An earthquake.
6. In Act I, what is interesting about the genders of Betty and Edward?
(a) The genders of the actors that play them are opposite of the characters' genders.
(b) They were once both men.
(c) The actors' genders are the same as the characters.
7. What does Clive feel is important in life?
(a) His children.
(b) Keeping his family safe.
(c) The bond in marriage.
(d) The affection between men.
8. What is Betty's reaction to Clive's confession?
(a) She comforts him.
(b) She leaves.
(c) She slaps him.
(d) She cries.
9. What does Betty and Harry confess to each other?
(a) Fear of Joshua.
(b) A secret passion.
(c) Hatred for each other.
(d) Hate for Clive.
10. What does Clive predict will cause Betty to have some excitement in the near future?
(a) A visit from a rival tribe.
(b) A visit from Harry.
(c) A visit from the Red Cross.
(d) A visit from her sister.
11. Why does Maud quit the second game during the picnic?
(a) She thinks the game is silly.
(b) She gets stung by an insect.
(c) She thinks she hears something.
(d) She gets scared.
12. How does Clive react to Edward's confession about the doll?
(a) He yells at him.
(b) He hits him.
(c) He congratulates him for his honesty.
(d) He sends him to his room.
13. After investigating Betty's claim about who was mean to her, who does Clive believe?
14. Where does Clive arrive home from?
(a) A hunting trip.
(b) The United States.
(c) A visit to several native villages.
(d) A wild safari.
15. What does Clive tell Harry in Act 1, Scene 4 about the situation with Betty?
(a) That Betty is a terrible liar.
(b) That Betty is planning on leaving.
(c) That everything is back the way it should be.
(d) That Betty is pregnant.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the picnic, who is just as bad at the game as Betty and Ellen?
2. Why does Harry refuse Edward's request in Act 1, Scene 4?
3. What is Clive's advice to Harry?
4. After Edward's confession about the doll, where does Clive suggest they all go?
5. After Mrs. Saunders arrives, what do Clive and Joshua go outside to do?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)