|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Betty reveal to Clive about Edward, his son?
(a) That Edward is a bully.
(b) That Edward plays with Victoria's dolls.
(c) That Edward is depressed.
(d) That Edward is a happy child.
2. What are the stable boys said to be doing?
(a) Whispering and sneaking out.
(c) Planning a war.
(d) Giving the other tribe secrets.
3. What is Clive entrusted with for his job?
(a) Building weapons.
(b) The native villagers.
(c) The Queen's land.
(d) The gold in the area.
4. What does Betty ask Joshua to retrieve in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) Her sewing basket.
(b) Food for the guests.
(c) More drinks.
(d) Her children.
5. Who is "eroding" the standards of Clive's empire?
(b) The natives.
(c) His children.
(d) His wife.
6. What does Clive find difficult on a daily basis?
(a) To hold up the standards of his empire.
(b) To live where they are.
(c) To keep away the natives.
(d) Finding food for his family.
7. What does Edward want to do with Harry?
(a) Build a new house.
(b) Go on explorations with him.
(c) Go fishing.
(d) Fight the natives.
8. What kind of story does Joshua tell Edward while they are on the porch?
(b) The story of his birth.
(c) A story of his people and creation of the world.
(d) A fairy tale.
9. To what is Clive's life compared?
(a) An empire.
(b) A circus.
(c) A dream.
(d) A nightmare.
10. When asked his opinion, how does Joshua describe the natives?
(a) As peaceful.
(b) As harmless.
(c) As misunderstood.
(d) As "bad people" who are not his people.
11. Why does Mrs. Saunders go outside while the men are in the stables?
(a) It's too hot inside.
(b) To see what was going on.
(c) She hears screaming.
(d) She forgot to feed the horses.
12. What kind of picnic does the family have?
(a) A funeral picnic.
(b) A Christmas picnic.
(c) A birthday picnic.
(d) An anniversary picnic.
13. What does Clive tell Harry in Act 1, Scene 4 about the situation with Betty?
(a) That everything is back the way it should be.
(b) That Betty is a terrible liar.
(c) That Betty is planning on leaving.
(d) That Betty is pregnant.
14. During the picnic, how is the game situation saved?
(a) It is suggested to play hide and seek instead.
(b) It starts to rain.
(c) The natives distract them.
(d) It is time to eat.
15. After Edward protests to the adults about playing with the doll, what happens to him?
(a) He runs away.
(b) He gets slapped by Betty and Ellen.
(c) Victoria takes her doll.
(d) Clive hits him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Clive arrive home from?
2. What does Clive admit to knowing about his wife?
3. Before the children arrive, what does Maud tell Clive to do?
4. Who does Clive suggest Harry marry?
5. Why is Edward sent inside by Clive?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)