|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who catches Edward playing with the doll and yells at him?
(c) Mrs. Saunders.
2. What does Betty and Harry confess to each other?
(a) Hate for Clive.
(b) Fear of Joshua.
(c) A secret passion.
(d) Hatred for each other.
3. After everyone leaves the house, what does Clive confess?
(a) He loves someone else.
(b) He wants a divorce.
(c) How difficult the whipping was.
(d) He is afraid.
4. Why do Maud, Betty, Mrs. Saunders and Victoria wait inside while the men go to the stables?
(a) There is a storm.
(b) The natives are outside.
(c) Clive is fighting with Joshua.
(d) Clive is whipping the stable boys.
5. After the men return from the stables, what does Mrs. Saunders ask Joshua?
(a) If he is hungry.
(b) If he did his chores.
(c) If he minds beating his own people.
(d) If he is tired.
6. How does Betty greet Clive when he returns?
(a) With a new pet.
(b) With a home cooked meal.
(c) By telling him about all the womanly things she's done.
(d) With a welcome home party.
7. How are the stable boys different from Joshua?
(a) They are white.
(b) They are members of a different tribe.
(c) They are older.
(d) They are getting paid.
8. As Betty runs out to greet their guest, what does Maud warn Betty about?
(a) To stay away from Harry.
(b) To remember her place as Clive's wife.
(c) To not trust Joshua.
(d) To never leave the children alone.
9. What does Betty ask Joshua to retrieve in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) More drinks.
(b) Her sewing basket.
(c) Food for the guests.
(d) Her children.
10. Where does Clive arrive home from?
(a) A wild safari.
(b) A visit to several native villages.
(c) The United States.
(d) A hunting trip.
11. What does Clive spill on his pants at the picnic?
12. What does Mrs. Saunders tell Clive about Joshua's family?
(a) That they were killed in the village fire.
(b) They are living in wealth.
(c) That they have fled the village.
(d) They are murdering people.
13. What does Edward offer Harry during the second game at the picnic?
(a) Money he stole.
(b) A necklace he stole.
(c) A wallet he stole.
(d) His love.
14. What kind of story does Joshua tell Edward while they are on the porch?
(b) The story of his birth.
(c) A fairy tale.
(d) A story of his people and creation of the world.
15. Why does Betty protest the news of their upcoming visitor?
(a) They don't have the money to entertain.
(b) She is not fond of them.
(c) The house is a mess.
(d) She is afraid for their safety.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act I, what is interesting about the genders of Betty and Edward?
2. Before the children arrive, what does Maud tell Clive to do?
3. What role does Clive have in his family?
4. Why is Edward sent inside by Clive?
5. Who does Clive send for after settling Betty's situation?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)