|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What role does Clive have in his family?
(a) The grandfather.
(b) The son.
(c) The father.
(d) The grandson.
2. At the picnic, who saves the disagreement over the game?
3. Who is "eroding" the standards of Clive's empire?
(a) His wife.
(b) His children.
(d) The natives.
4. What does Clive find difficult on a daily basis?
(a) Finding food for his family.
(b) To hold up the standards of his empire.
(c) To keep away the natives.
(d) To live where they are.
5. How does Edward react to Clive's taunts during the game at the picnic?
(a) He ignores him.
(b) He cries.
(c) He gets angry and walks away.
(d) He taunts Clive back.
6. Why does Betty protest the news of their upcoming visitor?
(a) She is not fond of them.
(b) She is afraid for their safety.
(c) The house is a mess.
(d) They don't have the money to entertain.
7. Who rules Africa during Act I?
(b) The British Empire.
(c) The United States.
8. What does Betty reveal to Clive about Edward, his son?
(a) That Edward is a happy child.
(b) That Edward plays with Victoria's dolls.
(c) That Edward is depressed.
(d) That Edward is a bully.
9. What does Betty and Harry confess to each other?
(a) Hate for Clive.
(b) Fear of Joshua.
(c) A secret passion.
(d) Hatred for each other.
10. Who confesses love for Betty during the second game at the picnic?
(a) Mrs. Saunders.
11. Who calls Edward names while he is playing with the doll again?
12. What does Clive predict will cause Betty to have some excitement in the near future?
(a) A visit from the Red Cross.
(b) A visit from her sister.
(c) A visit from a rival tribe.
(d) A visit from Harry.
13. Why does Mrs. Saunders go outside while the men are in the stables?
(a) It's too hot inside.
(b) She hears screaming.
(c) To see what was going on.
(d) She forgot to feed the horses.
14. How are the stable boys different from Joshua?
(a) They are getting paid.
(b) They are members of a different tribe.
(c) They are older.
(d) They are white.
15. What does Maud feel about children in general?
(a) They should be in bed when the sun goes down.
(b) They should keep their mouths shut.
(c) They are useless.
(d) They should honor their parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it implied that Betty and Ellen are not good at the game they are playing at the picnic?
2. What does Clive try to convince Mrs. Saunders to do when they are in the open field?
3. What does Betty and Clive's guest narrowly escape from while living in Africa?
4. As everyone leaves the house, who does Clive hold back from exiting?
5. During the dispute about Edward's doll, who does Maud slap?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)