|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Edward protests to the adults about playing with the doll, what happens to him?
(a) He runs away.
(b) He gets slapped by Betty and Ellen.
(c) Clive hits him.
(d) Victoria takes her doll.
2. To what is Clive's life compared?
(a) A nightmare.
(b) An empire.
(c) A circus.
(d) A dream.
3. What does Mrs. Saunders tell Clive about Joshua's family?
(a) They are living in wealth.
(b) That they have fled the village.
(c) They are murdering people.
(d) That they were killed in the village fire.
4. Before the children arrive, what does Maud tell Clive to do?
(a) Stand up for his family more.
(b) Fire Joshua.
(c) Give his children a better allowance.
(d) Pay more attention to Betty.
5. How does Betty react to Ellen's second confession?
(a) She is very surprised.
(b) She misunderstands her and sends her inside.
(c) She is angry.
(d) She feels sorry for Ellen.
6. How are the stable boys different from Joshua?
(a) They are older.
(b) They are getting paid.
(c) They are white.
(d) They are members of a different tribe.
7. How does Clive react when his life is discussed?
(a) He gets depressed.
(b) He is embarrassed.
(c) He brags about it.
(d) He gets angry.
8. What does Edward want to do with Harry?
(a) Fight the natives.
(b) Build a new house.
(c) Go fishing.
(d) Go on explorations with him.
9. What is Clive entrusted with for his job?
(a) The native villagers.
(b) The Queen's land.
(c) Building weapons.
(d) The gold in the area.
10. Where does Clive arrive home from?
(a) The United States.
(b) A wild safari.
(c) A hunting trip.
(d) A visit to several native villages.
11. Who is "eroding" the standards of Clive's empire?
(a) His children.
(c) The natives.
(d) His wife.
12. As everyone leaves the house, who does Clive hold back from exiting?
13. After his first choice was declined, who does Clive arrange Harry to marry?
14. During the picnic, how is the game situation saved?
(a) The natives distract them.
(b) It is suggested to play hide and seek instead.
(c) It is time to eat.
(d) It starts to rain.
15. Who confesses love for Betty during the second game at the picnic?
(c) Mrs. Saunders.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clive try to convince Mrs. Saunders to do when they are in the open field?
2. Why is Edward sent inside by Clive?
3. Who rules Africa during Act I?
4. After Edward is scolded for playing with the doll, why does Ellen burst into tears?
5. What does Clive feel is important in life?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)