|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Saunders tell Clive about Joshua's family?
(a) That they have fled the village.
(b) They are living in wealth.
(c) They are murdering people.
(d) That they were killed in the village fire.
2. What does Betty ask Joshua to retrieve in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) Food for the guests.
(b) Her children.
(c) Her sewing basket.
(d) More drinks.
3. What does Ellen confess to Betty again while they are outside?
(a) Her love for Betty.
(b) Her love for Clive.
(c) Her guilt from stealing.
(d) Her deep depression.
4. After his first choice was declined, who does Clive arrange Harry to marry?
5. What kind of picnic does the family have?
(a) A birthday picnic.
(b) A Christmas picnic.
(c) A funeral picnic.
(d) An anniversary picnic.
6. What does Clive encourage Betty to do during their private discussion?
(a) See a doctor for her depression.
(b) Resist her passions.
(c) Make new friends.
(d) Find a new man.
7. Who does Betty claim has been mean to her?
8. After telling on the stable boys, who does Joshua hint to Clive that there may be a relationship between?
(a) Edward and Betty.
(b) Betty and Ellen.
(c) Harry and Betty.
(d) Harry and Ellen.
9. Who brings the children to Clive after Clive tells his family about the natives?
10. Who does Clive suggest Harry marry?
(c) Mrs. Saunders.
11. What does Edward want to do with Harry?
(a) Go on explorations with him.
(b) Build a new house.
(c) Fight the natives.
(d) Go fishing.
12. What is Clive's advice to Harry?
(a) He doesn't have any advice for him.
(b) To give up.
(c) To start seeking.
(d) To enjoy what he has.
13. Who admires Clive's life?
14. With whom does Clive appear when he re-enters the room from meeting with their guest in Act 1?
(a) Mrs. Saunders.
15. After the men return from the stables, what does Mrs. Saunders ask Joshua?
(a) If he is tired.
(b) If he is hungry.
(c) If he did his chores.
(d) If he minds beating his own people.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Clive enters the house from being in the stables, why does Edward rush in to tell Clive about the doll?
2. How does Maud feel about Mrs. Saunders going outside with the men?
3. What does Edward protest when he is yelled at for playing with the doll?
4. When asked his opinion, how does Joshua describe the natives?
5. How does Edward react to Clive's taunts during the game at the picnic?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)