|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Clive enters the house from being in the stables, why does Edward rush in to tell Clive about the doll?
(a) He is afraid.
(b) He wants to tell Clive before Ellen.
(c) He is happy to see his father.
(d) He is excited.
2. Who is "eroding" the standards of Clive's empire?
(b) His wife.
(c) His children.
(d) The natives.
3. Who rules Africa during Act I?
(a) The United States.
(d) The British Empire.
4. What are the stable boys said to be doing?
(b) Giving the other tribe secrets.
(c) Planning a war.
(d) Whispering and sneaking out.
5. Who stands alone and still on the porch for a long time while everyone is inside?
6. What is Clive's advice to Harry?
(a) To start seeking.
(b) To give up.
(c) To enjoy what he has.
(d) He doesn't have any advice for him.
7. After Edward is scolded for playing with the doll, why does Ellen burst into tears?
(a) Her boyfriend broke up with her.
(b) She feels bad for her actions.
(c) Because she is rebuked by Betty.
(d) She twisted her ankle.
8. What is Mrs. Saunders initial reaction to Clive's request?
(a) She agrees.
(b) She punches him.
(c) She refuses.
(d) She begins to cry.
9. When Clive and Harry join Edward and Joshua on the porch, what does Clive tell Harry about?
(a) His plans to travel.
(b) Trouble with the natives.
(c) His marriage problems.
(d) His unhappy life.
10. How does Clive react to Edward's confession about the doll?
(a) He hits him.
(b) He yells at him.
(c) He congratulates him for his honesty.
(d) He sends him to his room.
11. As characters find themselves alone with each other during the second game, what happens?
(a) They have strong dislike for each other.
(b) They begin to argue.
(c) They scare the other players.
(d) They confess feelings.
12. Who admires Clive's life?
13. What is Clive entrusted with for his job?
(a) The Queen's land.
(b) Building weapons.
(c) The native villagers.
(d) The gold in the area.
14. How does Betty react to Ellen's second confession?
(a) She is angry.
(b) She misunderstands her and sends her inside.
(c) She is very surprised.
(d) She feels sorry for Ellen.
15. Why does Harry refuse Edward's request in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) He has "duties to his empire."
(b) Edward is old enough to do it on his own.
(c) He doesnt' like Edward.
(d) He thinks Edward's requests are silly
Short Answer Questions
1. Who witnesses the confessions made by Betty and Harry?
2. What does Clive suggest that Edward participate in?
3. At the picnic, who is just as bad at the game as Betty and Ellen?
4. At the picnic, who saves the disagreement over the game?
5. As Betty runs out to greet their guest, what does Maud warn Betty about?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)