|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Clive send for after settling Betty's situation?
(c) His children.
2. After Mrs. Saunders arrives, what do Clive and Joshua go outside to do?
(a) Secure the barn.
(b) Hunt for food.
(c) Fight the natives.
(d) Put out the fire.
3. What does Mrs. Saunders tell Clive about Joshua's family?
(a) They are living in wealth.
(b) That they have fled the village.
(c) That they were killed in the village fire.
(d) They are murdering people.
4. After Edward is scolded for playing with the doll, why does Ellen burst into tears?
(a) She feels bad for her actions.
(b) Because she is rebuked by Betty.
(c) She twisted her ankle.
(d) Her boyfriend broke up with her.
5. During the dispute about Edward's doll, who does Maud slap?
6. As characters find themselves alone with each other during the second game, what happens?
(a) They confess feelings.
(b) They have strong dislike for each other.
(c) They begin to argue.
(d) They scare the other players.
7. When asked his opinion, how does Joshua describe the natives?
(a) As misunderstood.
(b) As harmless.
(c) As peaceful.
(d) As "bad people" who are not his people.
8. Who does Betty claim has been mean to her?
9. With whom does Clive appear when he re-enters the room from meeting with their guest in Act 1?
(c) Mrs. Saunders.
10. After investigating Betty's claim about who was mean to her, who does Clive believe?
11. After everyone leaves the house, what does Clive confess?
(a) He loves someone else.
(b) He is afraid.
(c) How difficult the whipping was.
(d) He wants a divorce.
12. After the men return from the stables, what does Mrs. Saunders ask Joshua?
(a) If he is tired.
(b) If he minds beating his own people.
(c) If he did his chores.
(d) If he is hungry.
13. When Clive enters the house from being in the stables, why does Edward rush in to tell Clive about the doll?
(a) He is excited.
(b) He wants to tell Clive before Ellen.
(c) He is happy to see his father.
(d) He is afraid.
14. Why is Edward sent inside by Clive?
(a) To eat breakfast.
(b) To make a fire.
(c) To bathe.
(d) To wash dishes.
15. Who rules Africa during Act I?
(a) The United States.
(c) The British Empire.
Short Answer Questions
1. As everyone leaves the house, who does Clive hold back from exiting?
2. What does Clive try to convince Mrs. Saunders to do when they are in the open field?
3. Why does Mrs. Saunders go outside while the men are in the stables?
4. Who stands alone and still on the porch for a long time while everyone is inside?
5. Why does Harry refuse Edward's request in Act 1, Scene 4?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)