Short Answer Key
Act 1, Scene 1
1. During what time period does Act I occur?
2. Who rules Africa during Act I?
The British Empire.
3. What does the play start with in Act I?
A patriotic song.
4. What role does Clive have in his family?
5. In Act I, what is interesting about the genders of Betty and Edward?
The genders of the actors that play them are opposite of the characters' genders.
6. Where does Clive arrive home from?
A visit to several native villages.
7. How does Betty greet Clive when he returns?
By telling him about all the womanly things she's done.
8. What does Clive predict will cause Betty to have some excitement in the near future?
A visit from Harry.
9. Why does Betty protest the news of their upcoming visitor?
She is not fond of them.
This section contains 2,597 words|
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)