|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who actually arrives at the farm in The Bunchgrass Edge of the World?
2. How did Josanna and Elk meet?
3. Whose husband has gone out of town unexpectedly in The Governors of Wyoming?
4. What male friend decides to join the group in hitting the bars in town?
5. What is the name of Aladdin's eldest daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ottaline meet her "knight" in The Bunchgrass Edge of the World?
2. How did the "spurs" arrive in Pair a Spurs?
3. Describe Ottaline in The Bunchgrass Edge of the World. What is her ultimate objective?
4. Describe the Touch family of The Bunchgrass Edge of the World. Who is the patriarch?
5. Describe the narrative style of 55 Miles to the Gas Pump. What is this story about?
6. How does Aladdin die in The Bunchgrass Edge of the World?
7. What does Mrs. Croom find in the attic?
8. Describe the narration style of A Lonely Coast. How does it differ from the other short stories in the collection?
9. What is Car's first experience like being near the spurs in Pair a Spurs?
10. How did Aladdin take over the ranch in The Bunchgrass Edge of the World?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the subject of gender in the stories of Close Range: Wyoming Stories. How are women and men portrayed differently? How do time and place affect this difference?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the setting relates to the plot and action of the story The Blood Bay. What understanding comes along with the time and place of the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of People in Hell Just Want a Drink of Water. What is the meaning of the title? How does the ending of the story reinforce this theme?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)