|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What room was Mrs. Croom barred from entering?
2. Ottaline thinks she hears ___________________talking to her.
3. How old was the person the narrator found her husband cheating on her with in A Lonely Coast?
4. Where did Rancher Croom keep his beer?
5. How did Rancher Croom die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads to trouble with Shy and Wade in The Governors of Wyoming? Who runs away?
2. Where do Josanna and others go to "bar-hop" in A Lonely Coast? What accident occurs?
3. How did the "spurs" arrive in Pair a Spurs?
4. What is the argument between Roany and Wade caused by?
5. What does Mrs. Croom find in the attic?
6. What is Car's first experience like being near the spurs in Pair a Spurs?
7. Describe the Touch family of The Bunchgrass Edge of the World. Who is the patriarch?
8. Describe the two main characters of Pair a Spurs. How do they know one another?
9. What led to Car's discovery of his wife's cheating in Pair a Spurs?
10. How does Aladdin die in The Bunchgrass Edge of the World?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Car Scope and Sutton Muddyman in Pair a Spurs. How are these men similar? How do they differ?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the symbolism and themes of the story The Half-Skinned Steer. What is significant about the caves and the story told by Mero's father's girlfriend?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the subject of gender in the stories of Close Range: Wyoming Stories. How are women and men portrayed differently? How do time and place affect this difference?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)