|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Under what pretense is the Tinsleys' visitor there to see them?
2. In what year is the story The Blood Bay set?
3. What characteristic defines the character of Diamond in The Mud Below?
4. What causes Leeland Lee to quit trucking in Job History?
5. What is the name of the man whose house the cowpunchers stop at for the night in The Blood Bay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the oldest son of the Dunmire family? What was his occupation?
2. What is told in the exposition of The Blood Bay? What is the setting of the story? Who is involved?
3. What does Mr. Tinsley do to help his son after his return? What did the Tinsleys hear as a result?
4. Describe Leeland Lee, the protagonist in Job History.
5. What happens to Leeland Lee's meat packing business? What does he do next?
6. Who told Mero the story about the steer that was half-skinned? What happened in the story?
7. In The Blood Bay, why is the setting important?
8. What does Leeland Lee do after returning from the army in Job History?
9. What is the theme of Job History? How does the ending of the story indicate this?
10. What happens when Mr. Tinsley gives their son a bath?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Leeland Lee in Job History. What are his objectives in life? What obstacles does he face? What are his relationships?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plot structure of The Bunchgrass Edge of the World. Where does the rising action begin? What is the climax of the story? What is the denouement?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the subject of gender in the stories of Close Range: Wyoming Stories. How are women and men portrayed differently? How do time and place affect this difference?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)