|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the local ranchers prefer to buy feed in Job History?
2. What affliction has given the Tinsleys' son fever?
3. How does Diamond's mother feel about his choice of schools in The Mud Below?
4. What organization does Diamond sign a contract with after graduation?
5. Where does Leeland Lee take a job after losing the meat processing plant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who told Mero the story about the steer that was half-skinned? What happened in the story?
2. What happens when Mero first finds the road to the ranch in The Half-Skinned Steer?
3. Who becomes Diamond's second tour partner? How is this character described?
4. Where does Diamond go to school? What is his success there?
5. What takes place early the next morning in The Blood Bay?
6. Describe Leeland Lee, the protagonist in Job History.
7. How does the cowpuncher take the boots in The Blood Bay?
8. What happens to Leeland Lee's meat packing business? What does he do next?
9. What shelter does the rancher offer for the cowpokes to stay the night in The Blood Bay? What does he warn them?
10. What happens when Mr. Tinsley gives their son a bath?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character Diamond Felts in The Mud Below and his relationship with his mother. What has complicated this relationship? What has been the result?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Leeland Lee in Job History. What are his objectives in life? What obstacles does he face? What are his relationships?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Mero, the protagonist of The Half-Skinned Steer, and his journey across America. Why is he traveling? Where is he going?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)