|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Tinsleys hear that their son has been going out and _____________.
2. How does Diamond's mother feel about his choice of schools in The Mud Below?
3. What organization does Diamond sign a contract with after graduation?
4. Who has died in The Half-Skinned Steer?
5. Whom does Diamond's mother take him to meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led Diamond to follow his dream?
2. What does Mr. Tinsley do to help his son after his return? What did the Tinsleys hear as a result?
3. What happens to Leeland Lee's meat packing business? What does he do next?
4. What happens when Mero first finds the road to the ranch in The Half-Skinned Steer?
5. What takes place early the next morning in The Blood Bay?
6. What is Leeland Lee's job after the feed store fails? What happens there?
7. What leads to Mero's drive in The Half-Skinned Steer? Where is he going?
8. Describe Leeland Lee, the protagonist in Job History.
9. In The Blood Bay, why is the setting important?
10. What does Mero recall of his brother in The Half-Skinned Steer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Leeland Lee in Job History. What are his objectives in life? What obstacles does he face? What are his relationships?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the subject of gender in the stories of Close Range: Wyoming Stories. How are women and men portrayed differently? How do time and place affect this difference?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of People in Hell Just Want a Drink of Water. What is the meaning of the title? How does the ending of the story reinforce this theme?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)