|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who spends his leave in Missouri, visiting his family but wants to be with Dawn?
2. To whom does Pickering explain the MAGIC program since he has security clearance?
3. Where does McCoy have to go to to set up a weapons reporting stations?
4. Who retires to the bedroom at the end of Chapter 8?
5. Where does Pickering go the day before the beginning of the war bonds tour?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Fowler appear in the suite where Pick, Dunn and Easterbrook at eating?
2. Why are Galloway, Pick, and Dunn not happy about being assigned to the war bond tour?
3. What is important for Galloway, Pick and Dunn when they meet with Kocharski?
4. Why is Carolyn dirty when she arrives at the Andrew Foster Hotel?
5. Why does Pickering meet with Willoughby to learn about Fertig?
6. Why is Easterbrook happy yet naive while he is sick with malaria at the Malibu house?
7. What does Pickering reveal that he knows about Ellen to her?
8. Why is Veronica angry at first with Jake when he arrives at the Malibu house?
9. What do the various comments about security truly reveal about MacArthur's real concerns to Pickering?
10. Since the Japanese have not yet attacked, what does that signify?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love and sexuality between different characters is a recurring theme in "Close Combat". How does Jake's feelings about love change from the beginning of the novel to its end? In what ways has he expanded his awareness and beliefs? Is sexuality connected to love for Jake? How does his feelings develop for Veronica and change and how does his relationship with her contrast with that of other women that he has had romantic feelings for or an idealized relationship with?
Essay Topic 2
Compare "Close Combat" with another of Griffin's other books in his combat series. Which is, in your opinion, better? Explain. What future scenarios might you want to see in upcoming books? Which characters would you like to see portrayed? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Veronica. What is her role in the story? What was Griffin trying to accomplish by creating Veronica's character in the novel?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)