|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the kind of whiskey that Pick wants to drink with his friend in the penthouse of a hotel?
2. Who retires to the bedroom at the end of Chapter 8?
3. What hotel does Pick have a key to that he takes his friend up to drink a bottle of Whiskey?
4. With whom does Banning attend a performance at Radio City Music Hall?
5. After a rough morning of shooting at ______ studio, Veronica having a hard time and meets with Morton Cooperman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Easterbrook happy yet naive while he is sick with malaria at the Malibu house?
2. When Carstairs comes to talk to Dunn and Pick, what is the change in policy that he discusses with them?
3. Why is Carolyn dirty when she arrives at the Andrew Foster Hotel?
4. When Jake is assembling the personnel for the second war bond tour, what does he lack in knowledge about the pilots?
5. When Veronica tells Jake that Easterbrook is in love with Dawn, what does Jake do in response and how does he react?
6. What does Pickering do to reassign people to work on the Philippines mission?
7. Why are Dunn and Pick stopped by Colonel Porter at the Pensacola station?
8. How do the fates of both Veronica and Dawn change in Chapter 12?
9. What do the various comments about security truly reveal about MacArthur's real concerns to Pickering?
10. What is important for Galloway, Pick and Dunn when they meet with Kocharski?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did Griffin mean by calling the book "Close Combat"? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Pickering and Pick are two of the most active characters in the decision-making process for the military and espionage events that unfold in "Close Combat".
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Pickering had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Pick had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 3
Compare "Close Combat" with another of Griffin's other books in his combat series. Which is, in your opinion, better? Explain. What future scenarios might you want to see in upcoming books? Which characters would you like to see portrayed? Why?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)