|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the planes that Pick notices in Florida are perfectly maintained and has his name on them?
2. What has Ellen been doing that results in her being cut off from the MAGIC intelligence?
3. Who is wearing a dress uniform with ribbons when Ellen Feller arrives at the Water Lily Cottage?
4. With whom do Pick and Dunn engage in mock combat in aviation suits?
5. To whom does Moore give messages about promotions at the Water Lily Cottage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Since the Japanese have not yet attacked, what does that signify?
2. Why is Easterbrook happy yet naive while he is sick with malaria at the Malibu house?
3. What is important for Galloway, Pick and Dunn when they meet with Kocharski?
4. Why are Dunn and Pick stopped by Colonel Porter at the Pensacola station?
5. When Carstairs comes to talk to Dunn and Pick, what is the change in policy that he discusses with them?
6. What is Banning and McCoy's meeting with their dates at the saloon like?
7. Why is Carolyn dirty when she arrives at the Andrew Foster Hotel?
8. What does Pickering reveal that he knows about Ellen to her?
9. Why does Veronica visit Dawn and what does this reveal about her concern for Easterbrook?
10. When Dillon secures a release for McCoy and talks to Stewart, why is he concerned about Easterbrook?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Griffin discusses both patriotism and war vividly in "Close Combat". Find some examples in the book and discuss the effect of these topics on the character of Pickering.
Essay Topic 2
Power in society is a prevailing theme of "Close Combat". Griffin frequently refers to this theme, painting the picture of military knowledge being rewarded by power. Which characters appear honest and which appear corrupt and why? Which characters appear to rise above corruption even if they were initially vulnerable to it? What is your opinion of the society that Griffin describes?
Essay Topic 3
Griffin uses some important instances of foreshadowing in "Close Combat". Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)