|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Easterbrook willing to do in order to be with Dawn over his leave?
2. Who is Galloway's friend in Pennyslvania who agrees to meet him in San Francisco?
3. Who arrives at the Dunn house to pick up Dunn and Pick before driving to Corey Field in Florida?
4. Whose screen test was successful, resulting in big plans for her at the studio?
5. At whose headquarters does Pickering arrive to discuss the MAGIC intercepts about the situation in Guadalcanal?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Dunn lands in an auxiliary field, what does he do to relieve the pressure?
2. Why are Dunn and Pick stopped by Colonel Porter at the Pensacola station?
3. What does Pick realize when he goes to the penthouse with Martha?
4. What do the various comments about security truly reveal about MacArthur's real concerns to Pickering?
5. What does Pickering do to reassign people to work on the Philippines mission?
6. Since the Japanese have not yet attacked, what does that signify?
7. What is important for Galloway, Pick and Dunn when they meet with Kocharski?
8. What does Pickering reveal that he knows about Ellen to her?
9. When Dillon secures a release for McCoy and talks to Stewart, why is he concerned about Easterbrook?
10. Why does Fowler appear in the suite where Pick, Dunn and Easterbrook at eating?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Griffin employs bold and and effective language with some powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it, and identify the technique which it embodies.
Essay Topic 2
Pickering and Pick are two of the most active characters in the decision-making process for the military and espionage events that unfold in "Close Combat".
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Pickering had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Pick had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 3
Love and sexuality between different characters is a recurring theme in "Close Combat". How does Jake's feelings about love change from the beginning of the novel to its end? In what ways has he expanded his awareness and beliefs? Is sexuality connected to love for Jake? How does his feelings develop for Veronica and change and how does his relationship with her contrast with that of other women that he has had romantic feelings for or an idealized relationship with?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)