|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who exposes the film in his camera because he does not want pictures of the cargo?
2. Who is the Major General that tells Vandergrift of a message from Pickering?
3. Who is the captain of the US Army Air Corps that does not support the flight arrangements of Banning, Pick, and Galloway?
4. What analysis was under the command of Fleming Pickering?
5. What kind of planes does Galloway encounter while he is flying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pickering bring up when he meets with MacArthur that arouses anger in the General?
2. Why is Macklin in trouble with the Marines and Wilson for his service?
3. What is Stecker's experience abroad and what does he think the Japanese will attack?
4. How is Dunn described in Chapter 1?
5. Why is Vandergrift disturbed by the message from Pickering?
6. Why does Pickering feel grateful to the men who arrive in Oahu and come to his estate with a report?
7. Why are Dillon and McCoy rude to the officer at the Personnel Office?
8. Why does Roosevelt ask Pickering to intercede on behalf of Donovan with MacArthur?
9. Why is Wilson elated with Stewart's idea for Macklin's new position?
10. Why is there tension between Pickering and Donovan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in "Close Combat". Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Griffin uses more than one iteration on the motif of security. Identify at least two motifs about security and intelligence. Then cite an example to support each answer.
Essay Topic 3
Death and violence appear throughout "Close Combat". Who dies? Who is violent? In what ways are characters violent or abusive? What is their effect on other characters and their lives? Do these characters change over time? Why or why not?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)