|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Japanese General that might attack Guadacanal and take Henderson Field?
2. Who was selling war bonds under Dillon prior to the analysis?
3. Who doesn't want Donovan poking around in his military operations?
4. Who is the Major that awakens on Guadalcanal and goes to meet Vandergrift?
5. What is the name of Pickering's residence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dunn worry about Galloway when Dawkins reassures him?
2. Why is Vandergrift disturbed by the message from Pickering?
3. Why does Roosevelt ask Pickering to intercede on behalf of Donovan with MacArthur?
4. Who were the Coastwatechers and why are they important to American security at Guadalcanal?
5. Why does Pickering think that MacArthur is the biggest violator security protocol?
6. Why does Krinski change his opinion of McCoy after he receives a call?
7. When Knox complains about MacArthur and Nimitz, why doesn't the President take any action?
8. Why does Banning warn Pickering about Ellen?
9. Why is Macklin in trouble with the Marines and Wilson for his service?
10. Who is Easterbrook and what is his initial assignment on the Solomon Islands?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of women in "Close Combat" takes on very different forms and often are very stereotypical. What labels do you see that Griffin associates with women? Do you think these stereotypes ring true? Do they reflect Griffin's own experiences and biases? Do they have appeal to men or women?
Essay Topic 2
Compare "Close Combat" with another of Griffin's other books in his combat series. Which is, in your opinion, better? Explain. What future scenarios might you want to see in upcoming books? Which characters would you like to see portrayed? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Griffin uses more than one iteration on the motif of security. Identify at least two motifs about security and intelligence. Then cite an example to support each answer.
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)