|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what hotel does Pickering meet with MacArthur and discuss Donovan and Nimitz?
2. Who works on flight arrangements for Banning, Pick, and Galloway after the plane crash landing?
3. Who was mentioned in a memo from the Secretary of the Navy and a member of the combat correspondents?
4. At Henderson Field, Guadalcanal, what is Charles Dunn viewing in Chapter 1?
(a) The Pagoda.
(b) The dock.
(c) The airport.
(d) The field.
5. Who is the Major that awakens on Guadalcanal and goes to meet Vandergrift?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had desperate requests for help and was replaced by Admiral Halswy in the field?
2. Who receives a new ﬂight suit and other supplies from Pick?
3. In order to prevent a Japanese invasion of Australia, what area did the Americans need to recapture?
4. What is the report that Pickering wants to be completed about that the Major General needs to deliver to Pearl Harbor?
5. Who dictates a letter to the Joint Chiefs of Staff telling them to use every weapon to defend Guadalcanal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Banning warn Pickering about Ellen?
2. Why does Dunn worry about Galloway when Dawkins reassures him?
3. When Galloway and Pick fly a search mission, what obstacles do they face and overcome?
4. Why is Wilson elated with Stewart's idea for Macklin's new position?
5. When Pickering has his staff analyze the MAGIC intelligence, what does he learn about the Japanese and what they can do or not?
6. Why does Pickering feel grateful to the men who arrive in Oahu and come to his estate with a report?
7. Why is there tension between Pickering and Donovan?
8. Who is Easterbrook and what is his initial assignment on the Solomon Islands?
9. Why does Dillon pull Easterbrook into the plane as he was leaving Guadalcanal?
10. What is the significance of sources in intelligence for Banning and Vandergrift?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)