|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the prison chaplain take a liking to Alex?
2. Where does the old woman live?
3. Where had the cheenas and vecks in the Korova just returned from?
4. Who said some harsh words about Alex?
5. What kind of mood is the gang in when they return to town?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of the chapter, why is Alex leading his friends to "his doom?"
2. What kind of reception does Alex get from his parents?
3. How does Georgie die?
4. Describe the problems that Alex has with the new prisoner before the guards arrive.
5. What does the prison chaplain say to the inmates about their lives?
6. What are members of the group like? Are they nice people?
7. How do the characters in the novel speak? How is their language different?
8. What does Alex think to himself when the police give him a statement to sign? Why?
9. Why is Alex surprised to see that Dim and Billyboy are police officers?
10. Why is there disagreement among Alex's audience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay, with evidence from the novel, that describes Alex's opinion on the usefulness and merit of violence Counter this opinion with an argument that draws upon the negative effect that violence has had upon Alex's life.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that evaluates whether or not Alex can be considered a tragic hero.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that explores the meaning of the title of A Clockwork Orange.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)