|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jem tells Will in Chapter 22: “Thunder in the Trumpet” that his name is no longer James Carstairs but what now?
2. What does Jem ask Charlotte to bring him when she comes into his room as Sophie leaves in Chapter 13: “The Mind Has Mountains”?
3. When Tessa transforms into the angel in Chapter 21: “Burning Gold,” her skin is said to turn gold and tear apart. From where Tessa’s skin tears, what is said to leak from the wounds?
4. Whom does Henry tell to take and throw the box from his pocket in Chapter 21: “Burning Gold”?
5. What does Gabriel give to Charlotte when he admits his betrayal with the Consul in Chapter 17: “Only Noble to be Good”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Tessa’s condition described in Chapter 22: "Thunder in the Trumpet"? What does Will suggest will help her?
2. What are the Shadowhunters admiring in the opening of Chapter 20: "The Infernal Devices"?
3. What does Charlotte say in her letter after Gabriel’s confession in Chapter 17: "Only Noble To Be Good"?
4. What takes place during the Council Meeting in Chapter 20: "The Infernal Devices"?
5. Describe the character of Woolsey Scott. What is Woolsey’s history in The Infernal Devices series?
6. What confession does Gabriel Lightwood make in Chapter 17: "Only Noble To Be Good"?
7. How is Henry Branwell injured in Chapter 21: "Burning Gold"?
8. How does Gabriel’s confession in Chapter 17: "Only Noble To Be Good" change the plan of action for the Shadowhunters?
9. Who is John Shade and what is revealed of his past in Chapter 14: “Parabatai”?
10. What event changes the course of the battle between the automatons and the Shadowhunters in Chapter 21: "Burning Gold"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the back-story of the Clave and Axel Mortmain in The Infernal Devices. What role did Mortmain play in the previous two novels of the trilogy? What are his intentions are in Clockwork Princess? Is Mortmain successful in his objectives? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the narrative style established in the Prologue and Chapter 1: “A Dreadful Row.” Is the story related in first, second or third person? Is it told in the present or past tense? What effects do these choices of the author’s have on the reading? What are the benefits of this style of narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Loyalty and Betrayal
a. Discuss the theme of loyalty as seen in Clockwork Princess. Which characters in the story embody this theme the most? Who embody it the least?
b. Discuss the different betrayals that take place in the course of the story. How is betrayal dealt with?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)