|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Welsh name for the “Hounds of the Underworld” described in Chapter 10: “Like Water upon Sand”?
2. Aloysius Starkweather tells his granddaughter before the ceremony in the Prologue, “Your first Marks mean you are Nephilim, like me, like your mother and father. They mean you are part of” what?
3. What character is referred to as a werewolf in the letter that opens Chapter 5: “A Heart Divided”?
4. What word used in the novel refers to a pair of Nephilim warriors who fight together and are closer than siblings, regardless of their gender?
5. What musical instrument does Jem play for Tessa in Chapter 8: “That Fire of Fire”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed of Mrs. Black’s appearance in Chapter 12: “Ghosts on the Road”?
2. Why does Consul Wayland insist on taking the Lightwood brothers with him to the Silent City in Chapter 6: “Let Darkness”?
3. What is “yin fen,” and why does Jem Carstairs use this medicine in Clockwork Princess?
4. Who is Jessamine Lovelace? What is her role in Clockwork Princess?
5. What musical instrument does Jem play for Tessa in Chapter 8: “That Fire of Fire”? Why?
6. What is Aloysius Starkweather’s history in The Infernal Devices trilogy?
7. How are “Shadowhunters” defined in the novel? When and where did they originate?
8. What happens to Tessa in the ending of Chapter 12: “Ghosts on the Road”?
9. What is the back-story of Mrs. Black in The Infernal Devices trilogy?
10. What character is introduced to Will Herondale in the novel’s Prologue? How does this meeting go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Loyalty and Betrayal
a. Discuss the theme of loyalty as seen in Clockwork Princess. Which characters in the story embody this theme the most? Who embody it the least?
b. Discuss the different betrayals that take place in the course of the story. How is betrayal dealt with?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss William Shakespeare’s Troilus and Cressida and on other examples of literary allusion seen in Chapter 4: “To Be Wise and Love.” What is the plot of Troilus and Cressida? How do the plot and the characters in the play relate to the characters, themes, and plot in Clockwork Princess?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author’s literary allusions that open each chapter in Clockwork Princess. What authors are cited in the novel? Why do you think these works were chosen for inclusion in the novel? How do the excerpts contribute to the tone of the narrative?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)