|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom has Will summoned to the Institute to talk to about Jem’s condition and his futility to save him in Chapter 10: “Like Water upon Sand”?
2. What gemstone is described in the necklace that Will has given Cecily before departing the London Institute in Chapter 12: “Ghosts on the Road”?
3. The letter to the Consul at the end of Chapter 5: “A Heart Divided” is from what Inquisitor?
4. How old is Will Herondale in 1873 in the novel’s Prologue?
5. What color dress is Aloysius Starkweather’s granddaughter wearing in the novel’s Prologue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What item does Will find on his journey that leads him to believe he is on the right track in Chapter 12: “Ghosts on the Road”?
2. What character is introduced to Will Herondale in the novel’s Prologue? How does this meeting go?
3. How are “Shadowhunters” defined in the novel? When and where did they originate?
4. How is the setting of Chapter 1: “A Dreadful Row” described? During what time period is this chapter set?
5. What is referred to by the term “automatons” in Clockwork Princess?
6. Where does Consul Wayland actually take Gideon and Gabriel Lightwood in Chapter 6: “Let Darkness”? Why?
7. How is the character of Victor Whitelaw described in the narrative? What is his position?
8. What literary allusions are prominent in Chapter 8: “That Fire of Fire”?
9. What happens when the Shadowhunter marks are placed on Aloysius Starkweather’s granddaughter in the Prologue?
10. What musical instrument does Jem play for Tessa in Chapter 8: “That Fire of Fire”? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the conversation between Will and Jem in Chapter 11: “Fearful of the Night.” What revelation does Will reveal to his parabatai in this chapter? How does Jem respond? Why does Jem send Will to Cadair Idris in the end of their conversation?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the back-story of the Clave and Axel Mortmain in The Infernal Devices. What role did Mortmain play in the previous two novels of the trilogy? What are his intentions are in Clockwork Princess? Is Mortmain successful in his objectives? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author’s literary allusions that open each chapter in Clockwork Princess. What authors are cited in the novel? Why do you think these works were chosen for inclusion in the novel? How do the excerpts contribute to the tone of the narrative?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)