|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Will Herondale in 1873 in the novel’s Prologue?
2. Aloysius Starkweather tells his granddaughter before the ceremony in the Prologue, “Your first Marks mean you are Nephilim, like me, like your mother and father. They mean you are part of” what?
3. Whose carriage is described drawn up by the steps of Lightwood House when Tessa and the others arrive in Chapter 2: “The Conqueror Worm”?
4. What word used in the novel refers to a pair of Nephilim warriors who fight together and are closer than siblings, regardless of their gender?
5. Who is the cook at the London Institute that sings Irish folk ballads as she works?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first setting described in the Prologue to Clockwork Princess? How is the setting described?
2. Where is Tessa being taken in Chapter 12: “Ghosts on the Road”? Why?
3. How is the character of Will Herondale described in the novel’s Prologue?
4. Describe the history of Charlotte Fairchild in The Infernal Devices trilogy. How did Charlotte come to be head of the London Institute?
5. Who are the Silent Brothers and what is their role within Shadowhunter society?
6. What is the second setting described in the novel’s Prologue? How is this setting described?
7. What musical instrument does Jem play for Tessa in Chapter 8: “That Fire of Fire”? Why?
8. Where does Consul Wayland actually take Gideon and Gabriel Lightwood in Chapter 6: “Let Darkness”? Why?
9. How are “Shadowhunters” defined in the novel? When and where did they originate?
10. Where is Will Herondale located in the opening of Chapter 12: “Ghosts on the Road”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Tatiana Blackthorn in the novel. What is Tatiana’s history in The Infernal Devices series? What is her relationship like to her two brothers? How do Tatiana's actions in Clockwork Princess influence the plot of the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author’s literary allusions that open each chapter in Clockwork Princess. What authors are cited in the novel? Why do you think these works were chosen for inclusion in the novel? How do the excerpts contribute to the tone of the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the narrative style established in the Prologue and Chapter 1: “A Dreadful Row.” Is the story related in first, second or third person? Is it told in the present or past tense? What effects do these choices of the author’s have on the reading? What are the benefits of this style of narrative?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)