|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The poem “In Memoriam A.H.H.” which is cited in the opening of Chapter 6: “Let Darkness” was written by whom?
2. The folk rhyme that opens Chapter 1: “A Dreadful Row” begins with the line “Marry on Monday for” what?
3. What is the name of the demon that murdered Jem’s parents?
4. The letter to the Consul from Gabriel and Gideon which opens Chapter 7: “Dare to Wish” relates that the amount of money Charlotte Branwell spends on what items “rivals the annual income of a large estate or small country”?
5. What gemstone is described in the necklace that Will has given Cecily before departing the London Institute in Chapter 12: “Ghosts on the Road”?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Cecily Herondale tell Will she believes Mortmain is in hiding in Chapter 10: “Like Water upon Sand”? What has led to this conclusion?
2. Who is Jessamine Lovelace? What is her role in Clockwork Princess?
3. What is revealed of Mrs. Black’s appearance in Chapter 12: “Ghosts on the Road”?
4. What is the first setting described in the Prologue to Clockwork Princess? How is the setting described?
5. Describe Josiah Wayland’s history in The Infernal Devices series. What is Josiah’s position in the novel?
6. What is the back-story of Mrs. Black in The Infernal Devices trilogy?
7. Where does Consul Wayland actually take Gideon and Gabriel Lightwood in Chapter 6: “Let Darkness”? Why?
8. What is Aloysius Starkweather’s history in The Infernal Devices trilogy?
9. How are “Shadowhunters” defined in the novel? When and where did they originate?
10. What is referred to by the term “automatons” in Clockwork Princess?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love and Romance
a. Discuss the differences and similarities between male and female sexuality in the novel. Do you feel that the depictions are realistic?
b. Discuss the love triangle between Will Herondale, Tessa Gray, and Jem Carstairs in the novel. How is the tension of this situation resolved in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the back-story of the Clave and Axel Mortmain in The Infernal Devices. What role did Mortmain play in the previous two novels of the trilogy? What are his intentions are in Clockwork Princess? Is Mortmain successful in his objectives? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history of Aloysius Starkweather in The Infernal Devices series. What is Aloysius's history with Granville Fairchild? Who is Aloysius's granddaughter? What truth is later revealed about Aloysius's granddaughter?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)