|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is sitting with Tessa when Will enters her chamber in Chapter 22: “Thunder in the Trumpet”?
(a) Cyril Tanner.
(b) Bridget Daley.
(c) Sophie Collins.
(d) Woosley Scott.
2. The sword that is offered to Will by Jem’s uncle in Chapter 24: “The Measure of Love” is inscribed with a name. What is the name on the sword?
3. As Sophie sits by Jem’s bedside in Chapter 13: “The Mind Has Mountains,” the narrator says that Jem speaks aloud occasionally in his sleep but in what language?
4. Charlotte responds to Aloysius Starkweather’s story in Chapter 15: “Stars, Hide Your Fires” by saying that “the offspring of demons and Shadowhunters are” what?
5. Who is the author of the poem “Jerusalem,” which opens Chapter 21: “Burning Gold”?
(a) William Shakespeare.
(b) Sarah Williams.
(c) Alexander Pope.
(d) William Blake.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Will greets Tessa in Chapter 19: “To Lie and Burn,” she is said to smell of smoke and what?
2. The poem by Alfred, Lord Tennyson which opens Chapter 23: “Than Any Evil” is titled what?
3. The name of Charlotte’s unborn child has been determined as what in Chapter 24: “The Measure of Love”?
4. Who is described as Mortmain’s father, or the “boy they found and trained up” to act as Mortmain’s father, in Chapter 15: “Stars, Hide Your Fires”?
5. Tessa tells Will in Chapter 19: “To Lie and Burn” that she too wishes for an honorable death, like the death of whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Woolsey Scott. What is Woolsey’s history in The Infernal Devices series?
2. How is the farewell between Jem and his friends described in Chapter 23: "Than Any Evil"?
3. How is Henry Branwell injured in Chapter 21: "Burning Gold"?
4. What physical conflict takes place in Chapter 14: “Parabatai”?
5. What causes the automatons to become animated in Chapter 20: "The Infernal Devices"?
6. What event changes the course of the battle between the automatons and the Shadowhunters in Chapter 21: "Burning Gold"?
7. Who is John Shade and what is revealed of his past in Chapter 14: “Parabatai”?
8. How is Tessa’s clockwork angel described? What are the pendant’s origins?
9. What is the outcome for Will and Tessa in Chapter 24: "The Measure of Love"?
10. What does Charlotte say in her letter after Gabriel’s confession in Chapter 17: "Only Noble To Be Good"?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)