|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word from the novel refers to the most basic variation of healing rune used by Shadowhunters?
2. How long ago did Cecily come to the London Institute, according to the narrator in Chapter 7: “Dare to Wish”?
(a) 7 months ago.
(b) 2 years ago.
(c) 3 weeks ago.
(d) 8 weeks ago.
3. The title of Chapter 2: “The Conqueror Worm” is a literary allusion to a poem by what author?
(a) Lord Byron.
(b) Percy Bysshe Shelley.
(c) Edgar Allan Poe.
(d) Alfred, Lord Tennyson.
4. What is the Welsh name for the “Hounds of the Underworld” described in Chapter 10: “Like Water upon Sand”?
(a) Iratze Enkeli.
(b) Eremiel llyn.
(c) Malik Anrym.
(d) Cwn Annwn.
5. Where does Jessamine say Mortmain is as she dies in Chapter 9: “Graven in Metal”?
(c) The York Institute.
6. What year is described in the opening of the Prologue?
7. Gabriel tells the Consul in Chapter 6: “Let Darkness” that if he believes Gabriel to have committed patricide that he should feel free to take Gabriel where to be questioned?
(a) To the Silent City.
(b) To Chiswick.
(c) To the Council Chambers.
(d) To Cair Paravel.
8. Aloysius Starkweather tells his granddaughter before the ceremony in the Prologue, “Your first Marks mean you are Nephilim, like me, like your mother and father. They mean you are part of” what?
(a) “The New World Order.”
(b) “The Downworlders.”
(c) “The Clave.”
(d) “The Automatons.”
9. What day is described as “no luck at all” for marrying in the folk rhyme that opens Chapter 1: “A Dreadful Row”?
10. What word does Cecily say means “lake” in Welsh in Chapter 10: “Like Water upon Sand”?
11. How old is Will Herondale in 1873 in the novel’s Prologue?
12. To what “notorious music hall and gentlemen’s club in Piccadilly Circus” does the Consul take Gabriel and Gideon in Chapter 6: “Let Darkness”?
(a) Studio 54.
(b) The Club Eremiel.
(c) The Yin Fen Room.
(d) The Argent Rooms.
13. How many miles north of London is Will said to be in the opening of Chapter 12: “Ghosts on the Road”?
14. What are the names of the two horses that Will finds in the stalls at the London Institute when he departs to go after Tessa in Chapter 11: “Fearful of the Night”?
(a) Arthenon and Balderas.
(b) Tatiana and Yanluo.
(c) Balios and Xanthos.
(d) Balios and Excalibur.
15. Who is the author of “Elegy to the Memory of an Unfortunate Lady,” which is excerpted in the opening of Chapter 12: “Ghosts on the Road”?
(a) Sarah Williams.
(b) John Milton.
(c) Alexander Pope.
(d) Percy Bysshe Shelley.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word used in the novel refers to a pair of Nephilim warriors who fight together and are closer than siblings, regardless of their gender?
2. What character is referred to as a werewolf in the letter that opens Chapter 5: “A Heart Divided”?
3. Charlotte tells Will and Jem in Chapter 6: “Let Darkness” that Jessamine is returning “and if none of you can bear to have her here, I will arrange for her transport to” where?
4. What is the name of Will’s sword that he uses in Chapter 2: “The Conqueror Worm”?
5. The letter from the Consul that opens Chapter 6: “Let Darkness” says that the writer feels like what mythological prophetess?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)