|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Will says to Cecily in Chapter 10: “Like Water upon Sand” that he came to the London Institute on what day when he was twelve?
(a) November 21.
(b) December 8.
(c) September 14.
(d) November 10.
2. Charlotte tells Will and Jem in Chapter 6: “Let Darkness” that Jessamine is returning “and if none of you can bear to have her here, I will arrange for her transport to” where?
(a) “New York.”
3. The poem “Laus Veneris” that opens Chapter 5: “A Heart Divided” was written by whom?
(a) Algernon Charles Swinburne.
(b) Edgar Allan Poe.
(c) Alfred, Lord Tennyson.
(d) Algernon Charles Swinburne.
4. How old is Will Herondale in 1873 in the novel’s Prologue?
5. Who is believed to be buying up all of the demon drug that Jem needs to survive in Chapter 5: “A Heart Divided”?
(b) Josiah Wayland.
(d) Tatiana Blackthorn.
6. Who does Jem say is downstairs “making the most dreadful row” in Chapter 1: “A Dreadful Row”?
(b) Gideon Lightwood.
(c) Gabriel Lightwood.
(d) Will Herondale.
7. What revelation does Will confess to Jem in Chapter 11: “Fearful of the Night”?
(a) That he is responsible for Mortmain’s existence.
(b) That he killed Jem's father.
(c) That he is planning on marrying Tessa.
(d) That he is in love with Tessa.
8. What gemstone is described in the necklace that Will has given Cecily before departing the London Institute in Chapter 12: “Ghosts on the Road”?
9. What does Jem do with the medicine and the letter when he argues with Tessa in Chapter 7: “Dare to Wish”?
(a) He stomps on them.
(b) He throws them into the river.
(c) He throws them into the fireplace.
(d) He swallows both of them.
10. Who is the author of Confessions: Book IV from which the excerpt is taken which opens Chapter 10: “Like Water upon Sand”?
(a) Algernon Charles Swinburne.
(b) Saint Augustine.
(c) Percy Bysshe Shelley.
(d) Edgar Allen Poe.
11. Where does Jessamine say Mortmain is as she dies in Chapter 9: “Graven in Metal”?
(b) The York Institute.
12. The letter to the Consul from Gabriel and Gideon which opens Chapter 7: “Dare to Wish” relates that the amount of money Charlotte Branwell spends on what items “rivals the annual income of a large estate or small country”?
13. Charlotte tells the Consul in Chapter 6: “Let Darkness” that “Benedict Lightwood had been discovered to be in the last stages of” what?
14. What month is it when the Institute’s carriage rolls into the gates of Lightwood House in Chapter 2: “The Conqueror Worm”?
15. What color dress is Aloysius Starkweather’s granddaughter wearing in the novel’s Prologue?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of “Elegy to the Memory of an Unfortunate Lady,” which is excerpted in the opening of Chapter 12: “Ghosts on the Road”?
2. What is the name of the demon that murdered Jem’s parents?
3. Where does Cecily spend the bulk of her time at the London Institute, according to the narrator in Chapter 7: “Dare to Wish”?
4. The letter from the Consul that opens Chapter 6: “Let Darkness” says that the writer feels like what mythological prophetess?
5. In the letter that opens Chapter 5: “A Heart Divided,” it is said that Charlotte Branwell has given orders to have what spy recalled to the Institute upon her release from the Silent City?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)