|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The seamstress says in the beginning of Chapter 1: “A Dreadful Row” that what month is “a fortuitous time for a marriage”?
2. What color is Tessa Gray’s wedding dress said to be in Chapter 1: “A Dreadful Row”?
3. When Jem returns, bloody and injured after chasing the carriage with Tessa, he tells the other Shadowhunters that he lost them near where in Chapter 9: “Graven in Metal”?
(a) The Thames.
(b) Temple Bar.
(c) The Ganges.
4. Whose carriage is described drawn up by the steps of Lightwood House when Tessa and the others arrive in Chapter 2: “The Conqueror Worm”?
(a) Josiah Wayland's.
(b) Aloysius Starkweather’s.
(c) Tatiana Blackthorn’s.
5. What is the term used in the novel to refer to beings that are said to be part human and part demon, or the demonic counterpart of Shadowhunters, who are part human and part Angel?
6. Whom has Will summoned to the Institute to talk to about Jem’s condition and his futility to save him in Chapter 10: “Like Water upon Sand”?
(a) Henry Branwell.
(b) Josiah Wayland.
(d) Magnus Bane.
7. What word used in the novel refers to a pair of Nephilim warriors who fight together and are closer than siblings, regardless of their gender?
8. The poem “Laus Veneris” that opens Chapter 5: “A Heart Divided” was written by whom?
(a) Alfred, Lord Tennyson.
(b) Edgar Allan Poe.
(c) Algernon Charles Swinburne.
(d) Algernon Charles Swinburne.
9. What was the name of Gideon and Gabriel’s mother in the novel?
(a) Elizabeth Lightwood.
(b) Muriel Lightwood.
(c) Mary Lightwood.
(d) Barbara Lightwood.
10. Charlotte tells Will and Jem in Chapter 6: “Let Darkness” that Jessamine is returning “and if none of you can bear to have her here, I will arrange for her transport to” where?
(b) “New York.”
11. What is the name of the demon that murdered Jem’s parents?
12. What historical figure is said to have set the fashion for marrying in white in Chapter 1: “A Dreadful Row”?
(a) Queen Cleopatra.
(b) Queen Victoria.
(c) Sophie Collins.
13. What does Jem do with the medicine and the letter when he argues with Tessa in Chapter 7: “Dare to Wish”?
(a) He swallows both of them.
(b) He throws them into the river.
(c) He throws them into the fireplace.
(d) He stomps on them.
14. Who is the author of Confessions: Book IV from which the excerpt is taken which opens Chapter 10: “Like Water upon Sand”?
(a) Saint Augustine.
(b) Algernon Charles Swinburne.
(c) Edgar Allen Poe.
(d) Percy Bysshe Shelley.
15. Where does Jessamine say Mortmain is as she dies in Chapter 9: “Graven in Metal”?
(c) The York Institute.
Short Answer Questions
1. Will stands overlooking the placid countryside of what location in the opening of Chapter 12: “Ghosts on the Road”?
2. What character is referred to as a werewolf in the letter that opens Chapter 5: “A Heart Divided”?
3. Who does Jem say is downstairs “making the most dreadful row” in Chapter 1: “A Dreadful Row”?
4. Gabriel tells his brother Gideon in Chapter 1: “A Dreadful Row” that their father has contracted what illness?
5. What gemstone is described in the necklace that Will has given Cecily before departing the London Institute in Chapter 12: “Ghosts on the Road”?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)