|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What historical figure is said to have set the fashion for marrying in white in Chapter 1: “A Dreadful Row”?
(b) Sophie Collins.
(c) Queen Victoria.
(d) Queen Cleopatra.
2. In the letter that opens Chapter 5: “A Heart Divided,” it is said that Charlotte Branwell has given orders to have what spy recalled to the Institute upon her release from the Silent City?
(a) Jessamine Lovelace.
(b) Adele Starkweather.
(c) Tessa Gray.
(d) Tatiana Blackthorn.
3. What does Sophie give Gideon to drink while he recovers in Chapter 10: “Like Water upon Sand”?
(a) Orange juice.
4. What does Jem give to Will to sell for money for his drugs in Chapter 4: “To Be Wise and Love”?
(a) His Seraph blade.
(b) The clockwork angel.
(c) The Carstairs family ring.
(d) His cloak of invisibility.
5. What day is described as “no luck at all” for marrying in the folk rhyme that opens Chapter 1: “A Dreadful Row”?
6. Of the horses driving the second carriage that arrives behind Jessamine’s, Tessa notes in Chapter 8: “That Fire of Fire,” “their bodies gleamed not like the pelts of animals but like” what?
7. Chapter 8: “That Fire of Fire” opens with an excerpt from the epic poem “Tamerlane.” Who is the author of this poem?
(a) Lord Byron.
(b) Percy Bysshe Shelley.
(c) Edgar Allen Poe.
(d) Alfred, Lord Tennyson.
8. What Shakespearean play is cited in the opening of Chapter 4: “To Be Wise and Love”?
(a) Troilus and Cressida.
(b) The Merry Wives of Windsor.
9. What musical instrument does Jem play for Tessa in Chapter 8: “That Fire of Fire”?
10. Who is the author of “The Old Astronomer,” which is cited in the opening of Chapter 11: “Fearful of the Night”?
(a) Edgar Allen Poe.
(b) John Milton.
(c) Sarah Williams.
(d) Algernon Charles Swinburne.
11. Charlotte tells the Consul in Chapter 6: “Let Darkness” that “Benedict Lightwood had been discovered to be in the last stages of” what?
12. What horse has Will taken with him from the London Institute in Chapter 12: “Ghosts on the Road”?
13. What word in the novel is used to describe a secretive demon-hunting race of humans born with angelic blood that has survived for over a thousand years?
14. Who is the cook at the London Institute that sings Irish folk ballads as she works?
(b) Bridget Daly.
(c) Charlotte Branwell.
(d) Sophie Collins.
15. What was the name of Gideon and Gabriel’s mother in the novel?
(a) Elizabeth Lightwood.
(b) Mary Lightwood.
(c) Muriel Lightwood.
(d) Barbara Lightwood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the names of the two horses that Will finds in the stalls at the London Institute when he departs to go after Tessa in Chapter 11: “Fearful of the Night”?
2. Where is the location of Cecily and Will Herondale’s parents’ home?
3. The seamstress says in the beginning of Chapter 1: “A Dreadful Row” that what month is “a fortuitous time for a marriage”?
4. What is the name of the carriage driver of the London Institute?
5. What is the name of the demon that murdered Jem’s parents?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)