|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17-20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jem is said to be a few weeks short of his birthday turning what age in Chapter 13: “The Mind Has Mountains”?
2. The folk rhyme that opens Chapter 1: “A Dreadful Row” begins with the line “Marry on Monday for” what?
3. When Will departs the unconscious and dying Jem in Chapter 10: “Like Water upon Sand,” he says “Atque in pepetuum, frater, ave atque vale.” What does this Latin phrase translate to in English?
(a) “Brothers in arms, brothers in souls.”
(b) “Loyalty forever, and nobility for all time.”
(c) “Forever and ever, my brother, hail and farewell.”
(d) “May the wind be always at your back, fair brother.”
4. Aloysius Starkweather tells Charlotte in Chapter 15: “Stars, Hide Your Fires,” “In her infancy my granddaughter was replaced with a kidnapped human child, a sickly creature who died when the Marks were applied, because she was not” what?
(a) “A vampire.”
(b) “A Downworlder.”
(d) “A werewolf.”
5. What does Jem do with the medicine and the letter when he argues with Tessa in Chapter 7: “Dare to Wish”?
(a) He throws them into the fireplace.
(b) He stomps on them.
(c) He throws them into the river.
(d) He swallows both of them.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many miles north of London is Will said to be in the opening of Chapter 12: “Ghosts on the Road”?
2. What is the title of the poem by Alfred, Lord Tennyson, which is cited in the opening of Chapter 18: “For This Alone”?
3. What is the name of Gabriel and Gideon Lightwood’s father in the novel?
4. The poem “Laus Veneris” that opens Chapter 5: “A Heart Divided” was written by whom?
5. The Silent Brothers are said to be both the doctors and what of the Shadowhunter world in Chapter 13: “The Mind Has Mountains”?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)