|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 17-20.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What day is described as “no luck at all” for marrying in the folk rhyme that opens Chapter 1: “A Dreadful Row”?
2. The poem “Laus Veneris” that opens Chapter 5: “A Heart Divided” was written by whom?
(a) Algernon Charles Swinburne.
(b) Edgar Allan Poe.
(c) Algernon Charles Swinburne.
(d) Alfred, Lord Tennyson.
3. What word from the novel refers to the most basic variation of healing rune used by Shadowhunters?
4. What book is Tessa said to be halfway through reading “and finding it an excellent distraction” in Chapter 8: “That Fire of Fire”?
(a) The Castle of Otranto.
(b) A Tale of Two Cities.
(c) A Midwinter's Tale.
(d) A Midsummer Night’s Dream.
5. Chapter 8: “That Fire of Fire” opens with an excerpt from the epic poem “Tamerlane.” Who is the author of this poem?
(a) Edgar Allen Poe.
(b) Lord Byron.
(c) Alfred, Lord Tennyson.
(d) Percy Bysshe Shelley.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jem give to Will to sell for money for his drugs in Chapter 4: “To Be Wise and Love”?
2. Tessa tells Will in Chapter 19: “To Lie and Burn” that she too wishes for an honorable death, like the death of whom?
3. The poem “Carrion Comfort” that is cited in the opening of Chapter 3: “To the Last Hour” was written by what English poet?
4. What is the name of the seamstress working on Tessa’s wedding dress in Chapter 1: “A Dreadful Row”?
5. How long ago did Cecily come to the London Institute, according to the narrator in Chapter 7: “Dare to Wish”?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)