|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 13-16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the medicine that Jem is in need of in Chapter 3: “To the Last Hour”?
(d) Yin fen.
2. The poetic excerpt from “Lines: When the Lamp is Shattered,” which opens Chapter 16: “The Clockwork Princess” was written by whom?
(a) Alexander Pope.
(b) Percy Bysshe Shelley.
(c) Algernon Charles Swinburne.
(d) Sarah Williams.
3. When Will departs the unconscious and dying Jem in Chapter 10: “Like Water upon Sand,” he says “Atque in pepetuum, frater, ave atque vale.” What does this Latin phrase translate to in English?
(a) “May the wind be always at your back, fair brother.”
(b) “Brothers in arms, brothers in souls.”
(c) “Loyalty forever, and nobility for all time.”
(d) “Forever and ever, my brother, hail and farewell.”
4. Who is the werewolf that claims to know Will when he enters the inn in Chapter 14: “Parabatai”?
(a) Cyril Tanner.
(b) Aloysius Starkweather.
(c) Victor Whitelaw.
(d) Woosley Scott.
5. What gemstone is described in the necklace that Will has given Cecily before departing the London Institute in Chapter 12: “Ghosts on the Road”?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Gideon and Gabriel’s mother in the novel?
2. What is the Welsh name for the “Hounds of the Underworld” described in Chapter 10: “Like Water upon Sand”?
3. Who does Jem say is downstairs “making the most dreadful row” in Chapter 1: “A Dreadful Row”?
4. Charlotte tells Jem in Chapter 13: “The Mind Has Mountains” that Henry is still insisting on naming their unborn child what?
5. What is the name of Will’s sword that he uses in Chapter 2: “The Conqueror Worm”?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)