|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mark shout to the media as cops take him from the hospital to jail?
2. What message does Mark ask Reggie to relay to his mother?
3. What is the FBI's complaint about Romey's suicide?
4. What does Romey tell his old law school classmate when he calls him?
5. What does Foltrigg decide to do to scare Mark following Judge Harry's court?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the problems that Mark mulls over when he is taken from his mother and brother to a juvenile detention facility? How does he feel?
2. How does the mafia threaten Mark face-to-face?
3. As Foltrigg and his crew wait for Mark to talk, they begin researching their legal options. What are their options?
4. Describe the physical appearance and working relationships of Willis Upchurch.
5. How does Mark make the detention center attendant feel sorry for him when he returns to his cell following his juvenile hearing? What does he get out of the pity?
6. What makes the investigating officer suspicious of Mark's story at the scene of Romey's death?
7. Discuss Mark's knowledge of life.
8. How does Mark react when he learns that Reggie is a woman, and how does her gender affect his decision to "hire" her?
9. Why does Reggie object to the juvenile hearing and why doesn't she ask for a continuance?
10. Discuss what the FBI learns through their salt and pepper shaker bugs.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A main character has both good and bad qualities, giving the character dimension. Discuss Mark's bad qualities. Who is to blame for those qualities? Are the "bad" qualities really bad? Support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
While Foltrigg attempts to manipulate Mark into talking, the mafia attempts to keep him from it. Select a character -- either Mark or Reggie -- and discuss how that character's own manipulation is important to the novel. How does the character manipulate people or circumstances? What are the results of their manipulation? Is there anyone on which the character's manipulation does not work?
Essay Topic 3
Why is dialog important in The Client? How would the story have differed if the author had chosen to omit it?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)