|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the man who strikes up a conversation with Mark in the hospital waiting room?
2. What does Mr. Lewis vow to have ready in just a few days?
3. Reggie gives Mark a break by taking him from the hospital to where?
4. Who is hired by the mob to follow Mark's every move?
5. What does Mark ask the jail attendant to bring him in Chapter 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Fink's relationship to Romey, and why is it important to this story?
2. Discuss Reggie's life as a wife, mother, and law school student.
3. Describe the physical appearance and working relationships of Willis Upchurch.
4. Foltrigg is naturally upset not to get the desired results from Mark's juvenile court hearing. Why does he regain excitement quickly?
5. Discuss the ethical issue that Reggie faces as she prepares Mark for his first juvenile court hearing.
6. How does Mark react when he learns that Reggie is a woman, and how does her gender affect his decision to "hire" her?
7. As Foltrigg and his crew wait for Mark to talk, they begin researching their legal options. What are their options?
8. How does the mafia threaten Mark face-to-face?
9. Discuss Ricky's diagnosis and symptoms.
10. How does Officer Hardy get Mark's fingerprints, and why does he want them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A protagonist has heroic qualities and an antagonist has villainous qualities. Discuss the protagonist in The Client. Discuss the antagonist. What is ironic about the story's antagonist?
Essay Topic 2
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevails in The Client? Select a different type of conflict and explain how the story would have differed under that particular type of conflict.
Essay Topic 3
While Foltrigg attempts to manipulate Mark into talking, the mafia attempts to keep him from it. Select a character -- either Mark or Reggie -- and discuss how that character's own manipulation is important to the novel. How does the character manipulate people or circumstances? What are the results of their manipulation? Is there anyone on which the character's manipulation does not work?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)