|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bim treat Tara, even as an adult?
2. How was Baba different from the other children?
3. When was the last time that Bim has seen Raja?
4. How does Bim now see the pattern of her life?
5. What did Mira give the children that their own parents did not?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bakul so shocked when Bim says she has made a decision?
2. Why does Tara fail so miserably in school?
3. What is symbolic about Tara holding Bim's hand on the day of their departure?
4. Why is the episode with the cow so important to this novel?
5. Describe Raja in Bim's eyes until this chapter begins.
6. Describe the children's mother
7. Why does Bim resist everything Tara says and mocks Bakul's words?
8. Why does Tara want Bim and Baba to go to the wedding of Raja's daughter?
9. How was Mira treated by her dead husband's family?
10. What is the symbolism the author is relaying when she describes childhood games where the sisters are never able to catch their older brother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Raja admires Hyder Ali Sahib from the moment he first sees him. How did Hyder Ali Sahib's attention to the young Hindi man affect Raja's life?
Essay Topic 2
When Raja and Bim are children, they are close, best friends. As he ages, Raja turns away from Bim, until he finally leaves her. Describe the evolution of this relationship, and your explanation for Raja's decision to leave the family home?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Aunt Mira and her life. Compare her life before she moves into the family home, and afterwards. Discuss the sacrifices she has made, and the rewards received by dedicating her life to the four children.
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)