|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the climate affect the children?
2. When Tara is speaking to Bakul about her realizations about her sister, what is Bakul thinking about?
3. What sort of books does Tara read?
4. What big event is happening at Raja's house?
5. Whose letter does Tara read to Bim?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the word games the children played to pass the time.
2. Describe the relationship between Bim and Raja.
3. Describe Aunt Mira as she is in this chapter
4. Why is Bakul so shocked when Bim says she has made a decision?
5. What is the symbolism of Bim tearing up Raja's old letter concerning the rent?
6. How does Tara see their childhood?
7. How does Tara see Aunt Mira?
8. What is the symbolism of Tara's words to Bim pouring out of her quickly on the day of her departure?
9. How did Bim remember the incident where she was stung by bees?
10. Why is the episode with the cow so important to this novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Tara's relationship with Aunt Mira differ with those of Bim and Raja and Aunt Mira?
Essay Topic 2
When Raja and Bim are children, they are close, best friends. As he ages, Raja turns away from Bim, until he finally leaves her. Describe the evolution of this relationship, and your explanation for Raja's decision to leave the family home?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Bim so afraid at the last that Tara will take Baba with them to Raja's house?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)