|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Tara gets older, she no longer seeks comfort from Aunt Mira. Where does she go?
2. What happens on one of these summer evenings that makes an impression on all of the children?
3. How does Bim treat Tara, even as an adult?
4. What do the children do every evening?
5. Why did Tara marry Bakul instead of going to college and furthering her education?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolic about Tara holding Bim's hand on the day of their departure?
2. How was Baba different?
3. Describe the children's mother
4. How did Bim remember the incident where she was stung by bees?
5. Describe the relationship between Bim and Raja.
6. Why does the author use the episodes of the mad dog, the young teacher, and the bees to describe Tara's character?
7. How does Tara see Aunt Mira?
8. How did Tara remember the incident when Bim was stung by bees?
9. In your opinion, has Bim always been this way and Tara never saw it, or has Bim changed over the years?
10. Describe Aunt Mira as she is in this chapter
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Read the paragraphs following the moment that Tara, Bakul and the girls leave the family home and Bim and Baba are left sitting on the veranda in the light. How the symbolism and theme of the entire novel represented there?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses many symbols in the book to create a sense of place. Describe several of these, including the family pets, the garden path, and the unrest in the city.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Aunt Mira and her life. Compare her life before she moves into the family home, and afterwards. Discuss the sacrifices she has made, and the rewards received by dedicating her life to the four children.
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)