|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does she say to Baba that upsets him?
2. In her mind, what does Bim compare Bakul and Tara, the Misras, Raja and his family to?
3. What does Bim say when Bakul suggests she talk with Raja before selling?
4. That night on the veranda, what does Tara become upset about and apologize for?
5. What did Mira give the children that their own parents did not?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author use the episodes of the mad dog, the young teacher, and the bees to describe Tara's character?
2. In your opinion, has Bim always been this way and Tara never saw it, or has Bim changed over the years?
3. Why does Bim resist everything Tara says and mocks Bakul's words?
4. How does Tara see Aunt Mira?
5. Describe the word games the children played to pass the time.
6. On page 115, the children ask Mira why their parents play cards, and Mira thinks the answer is obvious. What do you think is the reason?
7. Why does Tara want Bim and Baba to go to the wedding of Raja's daughter?
8. Why does Tara fail so miserably in school?
9. How did Tara remember the incident when Bim was stung by bees?
10. Describe the children's mother
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This novel is set over a number of years, but almost always in summer. How does the author use the oppressive heat, the wild noisy birds, and the overgrown foliage to create imagery and the feeling of heavy weight on her characters, their actions and their decisions?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Bim so afraid at the last that Tara will take Baba with them to Raja's house?
Essay Topic 3
Several minor characters in this novel are highlighted during the novel: Mulk, Dr. Biswas, and Sharma. What role do these characters play in the progress of the plot? What role do they play in accentuating the character development of the main characters?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)