|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of the most memorable actions she takes against Tara?
2. What do the children do every evening?
3. How was Mira treated by her husband's family after he died?
4. Who was called to care for Baba when the mother grew tired of him?
5. What does Bim say when Bakul suggests she talk with Raja before selling?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the children's mother
2. Why does Tara fail so miserably in school?
3. What is the symbolism of Bim tearing up Raja's old letter concerning the rent?
4. Why does the author use the episodes of the mad dog, the young teacher, and the bees to describe Tara's character?
5. How did Tara remember the incident when Bim was stung by bees?
6. What is the symbolism of Tara's words to Bim pouring out of her quickly on the day of her departure?
7. How did Bim remember the incident where she was stung by bees?
8. What difference does Aunt Mira make in Baba's life?
9. How does Tara see their childhood?
10. What is the symbolism the author is relaying when she describes childhood games where the sisters are never able to catch their older brother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Tara's relationship with Aunt Mira differ with those of Bim and Raja and Aunt Mira?
Essay Topic 2
Raja admires Hyder Ali Sahib from the moment he first sees him. How did Hyder Ali Sahib's attention to the young Hindi man affect Raja's life?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Bim tell Tara to ask Raja to come see her and Baba, rather than Bim and Baba traveling to see Raja?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)