|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tara tries to talk to one of the Misras sisters regarding her concerns about Bim. How does the Misras sister react?
2. Who of the family needed Aunt Mira the most?
3. Who does Bim direct her anger to?
4. When was the last time that Bim has seen Raja?
5. Who is successful and popular at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Mira treated by her dead husband's family?
2. What is symbolic about Tara holding Bim's hand on the day of their departure?
3. On page 115, the children ask Mira why their parents play cards, and Mira thinks the answer is obvious. What do you think is the reason?
4. Why did Tara think her father was trying to kill her mother?
5. Why does Bim take out her rage on Baba?
6. Describe Raja in Bim's eyes until this chapter begins.
7. How did Tara remember the incident when Bim was stung by bees?
8. In your opinion, has Bim always been this way and Tara never saw it, or has Bim changed over the years?
9. How does Tara see Aunt Mira?
10. How does Tara see their childhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Read the paragraphs following the moment that Tara, Bakul and the girls leave the family home and Bim and Baba are left sitting on the veranda in the light. How the symbolism and theme of the entire novel represented there?
Essay Topic 2
Raja admires Hyder Ali Sahib from the moment he first sees him. How did Hyder Ali Sahib's attention to the young Hindi man affect Raja's life?
Essay Topic 3
Read over the poetry lines used by the author in this novel, which are used as a plot device. What was the purpose of each insertion into the story line? Does it work?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)