|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to the Misras brothers' wives?
2. What big event is happening at Raja's house?
3. What happened to the cow?
4. Who is successful and popular at school?
5. Who was sent to fetch them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the word games the children played to pass the time.
2. Why does Tara fail so miserably in school?
3. On page 115, the children ask Mira why their parents play cards, and Mira thinks the answer is obvious. What do you think is the reason?
4. Describe Aunt Mira as she is in this chapter
5. What difference does Aunt Mira make in Baba's life?
6. In your opinion, has Bim always been this way and Tara never saw it, or has Bim changed over the years?
7. Describe Raja in Bim's eyes until this chapter begins.
8. Why is the episode with the cow so important to this novel?
9. How did Bim remember the incident where she was stung by bees?
10. Describe the relationship between Bim and Raja.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the predominant themes of this novel and explore how the author presented the theme via dialogue, symbolism, characters, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Read over the poetry lines used by the author in this novel, which are used as a plot device. What was the purpose of each insertion into the story line? Does it work?
Essay Topic 3
How are the children treated by their parents, and how does this treatment show up in their lives? After a paragraph concerning the treatment of all of the children, choose one of them and write about how the parents' treatment affected that character's attitude towards life, their choices in love, and their professions.
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)