|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tara decide to do after that conversation about Raja?
2. How does Bim treat Tara, even as an adult?
3. What papers does she decide to go through?
4. What has happened to the Misras brothers' wives?
5. What has happened to the Misras sisters' husbands?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism the author is relaying when she describes childhood games where the sisters are never able to catch their older brother?
2. Describe the word games the children played to pass the time.
3. What difference does Aunt Mira make in Baba's life?
4. What is symbolic about Tara holding Bim's hand on the day of their departure?
5. Why does Tara fail so miserably in school?
6. Why is the episode with the cow so important to this novel?
7. What is the symbolism of Tara's words to Bim pouring out of her quickly on the day of her departure?
8. In your opinion, has Bim always been this way and Tara never saw it, or has Bim changed over the years?
9. How did Tara remember the incident when Bim was stung by bees?
10. How was Mira treated by her dead husband's family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Raja and Bim are children, they are close, best friends. As he ages, Raja turns away from Bim, until he finally leaves her. Describe the evolution of this relationship, and your explanation for Raja's decision to leave the family home?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Bakul and Tara, using dialogue and action to make your points. In your opinion, did the marriage change when Tara realized how mistaken she had been about her family members all these years?
Essay Topic 3
Tara and Bim are sisters, but their personalities are very different. Describe each of the sisters and compare them in the following ways:
1) visions of the future
2) learning and school
3) handling adversity
4) finding love and happiness in their lives
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)