|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does Raja have?
2. That night on the veranda, what does Tara become upset about and apologize for?
3. What honor did Raja receive in school?
4. What has happened to the Misras brothers' wives?
5. Which of the children grew up to become exactly what they said they wanted to be as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the word games the children played to pass the time.
2. Describe the relationship between Bim and Raja.
3. Why does the author use the episodes of the mad dog, the young teacher, and the bees to describe Tara's character?
4. Why does Tara fail so miserably in school?
5. How does Bim see their childhood?
6. How did Tara remember the incident when Bim was stung by bees?
7. How was Mira treated by her dead husband's family?
8. How does Tara see their childhood?
9. What is symbolic about Tara holding Bim's hand on the day of their departure?
10. Why is Bakul so shocked when Bim says she has made a decision?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses many symbols in the book to create a sense of place. Describe several of these, including the family pets, the garden path, and the unrest in the city.
Essay Topic 2
Several minor characters in this novel are highlighted during the novel: Mulk, Dr. Biswas, and Sharma. What role do these characters play in the progress of the plot? What role do they play in accentuating the character development of the main characters?
Essay Topic 3
Read over the passages of Baba's thoughts and the description of the young man in Part 1. How does he deal with the world? How does he perceive the world? Could he live independently of Bim?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)