|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age was Aunt Mira widowed?
2. What is the one thing she could not do for Baba?
3. At lunch that day, what does Bim try to force Tara to eat?
4. How does Bakul deal with the atmosphere in Tara's family home during their stay?
5. Why is Tara so shocked at Bim's descriptions of Raja and his family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of Tara's words to Bim pouring out of her quickly on the day of her departure?
2. What is the symbolism the author is relaying when she describes childhood games where the sisters are never able to catch their older brother?
3. How does Bim see their childhood?
4. Describe the children's mother
5. How was Baba different?
6. Why does Bim resist everything Tara says and mocks Bakul's words?
7. Describe Raja in Bim's eyes until this chapter begins.
8. Describe Bim as Tara sees her in this chapter.
9. Describe the word games the children played to pass the time.
10. Why is Bakul so shocked when Bim says she has made a decision?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Tara's relationship with Aunt Mira differ with those of Bim and Raja and Aunt Mira?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the predominant themes of this novel and explore how the author presented the theme via dialogue, symbolism, characters, etc.
Essay Topic 3
The children are present on the banks of the Jumna River when Hyder Ali Sahib rides by on his fine white horse. How do each of the children remember this incident, and how does it affect them? Describe it from the viewpoint of Raja, Bim, Tara and Baba.
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)