|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bim direct her anger to?
2. What happens on one of these summer evenings that makes an impression on all of the children?
3. What does Bim tell Tara to tell Raja?
4. What did Tara think was happening?
5. When Tara is speaking to Bakul about her realizations about her sister, what is Bakul thinking about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of Bim tearing up Raja's old letter concerning the rent?
2. How does Tara see Aunt Mira?
3. Why does Tara fail so miserably in school?
4. Why does Bim take out her rage on Baba?
5. Why does the author use the episodes of the mad dog, the young teacher, and the bees to describe Tara's character?
6. Describe Bim as Tara sees her in this chapter.
7. Why does Bim resist everything Tara says and mocks Bakul's words?
8. How was Baba different?
9. How does Bim see their childhood?
10. How does Tara see their childhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Raja admires Hyder Ali Sahib from the moment he first sees him. How did Hyder Ali Sahib's attention to the young Hindi man affect Raja's life?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Bakul and Tara, using dialogue and action to make your points. In your opinion, did the marriage change when Tara realized how mistaken she had been about her family members all these years?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses many symbols in the book to create a sense of place. Describe several of these, including the family pets, the garden path, and the unrest in the city.
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)