|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In this chapter, what does Tara apologize to Bim for?
2. As Tara gets older, she no longer seeks comfort from Aunt Mira. Where does she go?
3. How many children does Raja have?
4. What happens on one of these summer evenings that makes an impression on all of the children?
5. What event at school upsets Tara so much she lies to avoid it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bim resist everything Tara says and mocks Bakul's words?
2. Describe the word games the children played to pass the time.
3. On page 115, the children ask Mira why their parents play cards, and Mira thinks the answer is obvious. What do you think is the reason?
4. What is symbolic about Tara holding Bim's hand on the day of their departure?
5. Why does the author use the episodes of the mad dog, the young teacher, and the bees to describe Tara's character?
6. What difference does Aunt Mira make in Baba's life?
7. What is the symbolism of Bim tearing up Raja's old letter concerning the rent?
8. How does Tara see Aunt Mira?
9. What is the symbolism of Tara's words to Bim pouring out of her quickly on the day of her departure?
10. Why is the episode with the cow so important to this novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Raja admires Hyder Ali Sahib from the moment he first sees him. How did Hyder Ali Sahib's attention to the young Hindi man affect Raja's life?
Essay Topic 2
How are the children treated by their parents, and how does this treatment show up in their lives? After a paragraph concerning the treatment of all of the children, choose one of them and write about how the parents' treatment affected that character's attitude towards life, their choices in love, and their professions.
Essay Topic 3
Tara is a very sensitive soul. Incidents that seem trivial to others become major events and obstacles for Tara. Why do you think this is? What steps could she take to become stronger and more accepting about life?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)