|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tara see her father do to her mother long ago?
2. What happens on one of these summer evenings that makes an impression on all of the children?
3. Where did Bakul and Tara meet?
4. What is Raja's favorite hobby at this time?
5. Why does Bim become angry at Tara?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the word games the children played to pass the time.
2. Describe Bim as Tara sees her in this chapter.
3. Why does Bim take out her rage on Baba?
4. Why is Bakul so shocked when Bim says she has made a decision?
5. On page 115, the children ask Mira why their parents play cards, and Mira thinks the answer is obvious. What do you think is the reason?
6. How does Tara see their childhood?
7. How did Tara remember the incident when Bim was stung by bees?
8. How was Mira treated by her dead husband's family?
9. How did Bim remember the incident where she was stung by bees?
10. Describe the children's mother
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This novel is set over a number of years, but almost always in summer. How does the author use the oppressive heat, the wild noisy birds, and the overgrown foliage to create imagery and the feeling of heavy weight on her characters, their actions and their decisions?
Essay Topic 2
Read the paragraphs following the moment that Tara, Bakul and the girls leave the family home and Bim and Baba are left sitting on the veranda in the light. How the symbolism and theme of the entire novel represented there?
Essay Topic 3
When Raja and Bim are children, they are close, best friends. As he ages, Raja turns away from Bim, until he finally leaves her. Describe the evolution of this relationship, and your explanation for Raja's decision to leave the family home?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)