|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bim think of his statement?
2. What did Hyder Ali offer to Raja?
3. Why did her father give her mother injections?
4. What happened to the father?
5. Who does Dr. Biswas admire above all others?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dr. Biswas feel a sense of failure after talking to Bim about Raja's tuberculosis?
2. Describe the way Bim speaks to Tara, to Bakul and to Baba.
3. How does Bim describe time? What do you think she means by this?
4. What is Tara's purpose in coming to the family home?
5. How does Bim feel about her youth? Why do you think she feels that way?
6. What is the difference between the languages of Urdu and Hindi?
7. Why is Bim's conversation with the elder Misras important to the plot?
8. What resulted from Raja's admiration of Hyder Ali Sahid?
9. What are some of the basic differences between Tara and Bim? Examine their appearance, their attitudes, their sense of family.
10. Describe Bakul's appearance and behavior, and discuss his attitude towards his work and towards his wife.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This novel is set over a number of years, but almost always in summer. How does the author use the oppressive heat, the wild noisy birds, and the overgrown foliage to create imagery and the feeling of heavy weight on her characters, their actions and their decisions?
Essay Topic 2
The children are present on the banks of the Jumna River when Hyder Ali Sahib rides by on his fine white horse. How do each of the children remember this incident, and how does it affect them? Describe it from the viewpoint of Raja, Bim, Tara and Baba.
Essay Topic 3
What is the symbolism of the cow in the plot? Does it represent the innocence of the children, the indentured servitude of Aunt Mira, lost hopes, or is it just a cow?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)