|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bim recover from grieving for Aunt Mira
2. What happens to Aunt Mira in this chapter?
3. How does Tara, in this chapter, remember her parents?
4. Who did their brother Raja admire above all?
5. What do the Misras sisters want Bakul, Bim and Tara to do that night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Aunt Mira's behavior in this chapter.
2. Why is Tara so disturbed by Bim's remarks on the lawn with Bakul and the Misras?
3. Why is Bim's conversation with the elder Misras important to the plot?
4. Why does Dr. Biswas feel a sense of failure after talking to Bim about Raja's tuberculosis?
5. Why does Raja choose Hindu College over his original choice?
6. Why does Bim begin to respond to Dr. Biswas and his invitations to take her out?
7. What is the importance in the plot of the Misras brother, Mulk, and his drunkeness
8. How is Old Delhi different from New Delhi? Re-read the parts describing the city and note the words the author uses. Do the words create a sense of place?
9. How does Bim feel about her youth? Why do you think she feels that way?
10. Why does Raja leave Bim alone to care for Baba?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Raja admires Hyder Ali Sahib from the moment he first sees him. How did Hyder Ali Sahib's attention to the young Hindi man affect Raja's life?
Essay Topic 2
Read over the poetry lines used by the author in this novel, which are used as a plot device. What was the purpose of each insertion into the story line? Does it work?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Bakul and Tara, using dialogue and action to make your points. In your opinion, did the marriage change when Tara realized how mistaken she had been about her family members all these years?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)