|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disrupts the neighborhood gathering?
2. How did Raja meet Hyder Ali?
3. When Tara speaks of being young again, what is Bim's reaction?
4. What does Bakul say to Tara when she decides to stay with her family that morning instead of going with him to New Delhi?
5. What does Tara say she wants to be when she grows up?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bim describe time? What do you think she means by this?
2. Why does the tea party with Dr. Biswas, his mother and Bim go badly?
3. Describe how Bim sees her brother's poems now.
4. Describe the family home and the feeling you get about it.
5. Why is Raja so upset about the whereabouts of the family of Hyder Ali Sahid?
6. Why does Bim begin to respond to Dr. Biswas and his invitations to take her out?
7. What is symbolic about the father's car that was left in the garage after his death?
8. What is Tara's purpose in coming to the family home?
9. How does Bim feel about her youth? Why do you think she feels that way?
10. Describe Bakul's appearance and behavior, and discuss his attitude towards his work and towards his wife.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Read over the poetry lines used by the author in this novel, which are used as a plot device. What was the purpose of each insertion into the story line? Does it work?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Bim so afraid at the last that Tara will take Baba with them to Raja's house?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the predominant themes of this novel and explore how the author presented the theme via dialogue, symbolism, characters, etc.
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)