Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often do Bakul and Tara visit Bim and Baba?
2. What surrounds Tara's family home and those of her neighbors?
3. The sisters remember playing in the sand and along the banks of what nearby river?
4. What do the children call their father?
5. What happened to their mother after twenty years of spending her evenings at the club?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Raja refuse to take over the family business?
2. How does Tara feel about her youth? What makes her feel that way?
3. How does Tara see their childhood?
4. Why does Bim resist everything Tara says and mocks Bakul's words?
5. Why does Bim show the letter from Raja to Tara?
6. What is the symbolism of Bim tearing up Raja's old letter concerning the rent?
7. Why is Tara so disturbed by Bim's remarks on the lawn with Bakul and the Misras?
8. Why does the author use the episodes of the mad dog, the young teacher, and the bees to describe Tara's character?
9. How was Baba different?
10. How did Tara remember the incident when Bim was stung by bees?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Aunt Mira and her life. Compare her life before she moves into the family home, and afterwards. Discuss the sacrifices she has made, and the rewards received by dedicating her life to the four children.
Essay Topic 2
How are the children treated by their parents, and how does this treatment show up in their lives? After a paragraph concerning the treatment of all of the children, choose one of them and write about how the parents' treatment affected that character's attitude towards life, their choices in love, and their professions.
Essay Topic 3
The children are present on the banks of the Jumna River when Hyder Ali Sahib rides by on his fine white horse. How do each of the children remember this incident, and how does it affect them? Describe it from the viewpoint of Raja, Bim, Tara and Baba.
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)