|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baba do that surprises everyone?
2. Where has Bakul been posted when he comes to ask Bim for permission to marry Tara?
3. Where does Bakul think he and Tara should have stayed instead of at her family home?
4. Why can't they visit more often?
5. What overcomes Tara when she is at her family home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Raja so upset about the whereabouts of the family of Hyder Ali Sahid?
2. How is Old Delhi different from New Delhi? Re-read the parts describing the city and note the words the author uses. Do the words create a sense of place?
3. Describe Bakul's appearance and behavior, and discuss his attitude towards his work and towards his wife.
4. What is the importance in the plot of the Misras brother, Mulk, and his drunkeness
5. What is Tara's purpose in coming to the family home?
6. Why is Bim's conversation with the elder Misras important to the plot?
7. How does Bim describe time? What do you think she means by this?
8. What is the difference between the languages of Urdu and Hindi?
9. Why do the children think of their father as the master of the entrance and the exit?
10. Why does Raja choose Hindu College over his original choice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The children are present on the banks of the Jumna River when Hyder Ali Sahib rides by on his fine white horse. How do each of the children remember this incident, and how does it affect them? Describe it from the viewpoint of Raja, Bim, Tara and Baba.
Essay Topic 2
Several minor characters in this novel are highlighted during the novel: Mulk, Dr. Biswas, and Sharma. What role do these characters play in the progress of the plot? What role do they play in accentuating the character development of the main characters?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses many symbols in the book to create a sense of place. Describe several of these, including the family pets, the garden path, and the unrest in the city.
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)