|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bim's answer when Raja says he wants to grow up to be a hero?
2. Who did their brother Raja admire above all?
3. What happened to Hyder Ali's household members?
4. What did Baba play with before the gramophone?
5. Who is sitting on the veranda while Raja departs the family home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bim's conversation with the elder Misras important to the plot?
2. Describe Bim as an adult woman, including her attitude towards her family members as well as her appearance.
3. What is symbolic about the father's car that was left in the garage after his death?
4. Why does Tara begin to spend time with the Misras sisters?
5. Why does Bim begin to respond to Dr. Biswas and his invitations to take her out?
6. How does Bim describe time? What do you think she means by this?
7. Why does the tea party with Dr. Biswas, his mother and Bim go badly?
8. Why do you think Bim believes she is seeing Aunt Mira's ghost in the garden?
9. What resulted from Raja's admiration of Hyder Ali Sahid?
10. How does Tara feel about her youth? What makes her feel that way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the children treated by their parents, and how does this treatment show up in their lives? After a paragraph concerning the treatment of all of the children, choose one of them and write about how the parents' treatment affected that character's attitude towards life, their choices in love, and their professions.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Aunt Mira and her life. Compare her life before she moves into the family home, and afterwards. Discuss the sacrifices she has made, and the rewards received by dedicating her life to the four children.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Bim tell Tara to ask Raja to come see her and Baba, rather than Bim and Baba traveling to see Raja?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)