|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Raja suggest to take over the family business?
2. What overcomes Tara when she is at her family home?
3. Where does Baba get the gramophone?
4. What do the Misras sisters want Bakul, Bim and Tara to do that night?
5. What does Bakul say to Tara when she decides to stay with her family that morning instead of going with him to New Delhi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the children think of their father as the master of the entrance and the exit?
2. Describe Aunt Mira's behavior in this chapter.
3. How did Bim remember the incident where she was stung by bees?
4. Describe the way Bim speaks to Tara, to Bakul and to Baba.
5. What difference does Aunt Mira make in Baba's life?
6. Describe Bim as an adult woman, including her attitude towards her family members as well as her appearance.
7. Why is Bim's conversation with the elder Misras important to the plot?
8. Describe Aunt Mira as she is in this chapter
9. Describe how Bim sees her brother's poems now.
10. What are some of the basic differences between Tara and Bim? Examine their appearance, their attitudes, their sense of family.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One evening along the Jumna River, the children encounter Hyder Ali Sahib on a horse. It affects each of them differently. Describe how the event was experienced by 1) Raja, 2) Baba, 3) Bim and 4) Tara.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses many symbols in the book to create a sense of place. Describe several of these, including the family pets, the garden path, and the unrest in the city.
Essay Topic 3
Tara and Bim are sisters, but their personalities are very different. Describe each of the sisters and compare them in the following ways:
1) visions of the future
2) learning and school
3) handling adversity
4) finding love and happiness in their lives
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)