|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Aunt Mira?
2. What does Dr. Biswas say is wrong with Bim?
3. How did Raja meet Hyder Ali?
4. What kind of business did the Misras brothers have and lose?
5. What helps Raja to begin to get better?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bim describe time? What do you think she means by this?
2. How is Old Delhi different from New Delhi? Re-read the parts describing the city and note the words the author uses. Do the words create a sense of place?
3. Describe how Bim sees her brother's poems now.
4. What is the importance in the plot of the Misras brother, Mulk, and his drunkeness
5. Why does the tea party with Dr. Biswas, his mother and Bim go badly?
6. What is Tara's purpose in coming to the family home?
7. Why does Raja leave Bim alone to care for Baba?
8. What resulted from Raja's admiration of Hyder Ali Sahid?
9. Why does Dr. Biswas feel a sense of failure after talking to Bim about Raja's tuberculosis?
10. What is symbolic about the father's car that was left in the garage after his death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This novel is set over a number of years, but almost always in summer. How does the author use the oppressive heat, the wild noisy birds, and the overgrown foliage to create imagery and the feeling of heavy weight on her characters, their actions and their decisions?
Essay Topic 2
Tara is a very sensitive soul. Incidents that seem trivial to others become major events and obstacles for Tara. Why do you think this is? What steps could she take to become stronger and more accepting about life?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses many symbols in the book to create a sense of place. Describe several of these, including the family pets, the garden path, and the unrest in the city.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)