|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Hyder Ali's household members?
2. Why can't they visit more often?
3. Where is Tara spending all of her time?
4. What does Tara ask Bim to do?
5. Why are the Misras brothers still living alone at their family home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Bim sees her brother's poems now.
2. What is the difference between the languages of Urdu and Hindi?
3. Why does Raja leave Bim alone to care for Baba?
4. Describe Aunt Mira's behavior in this chapter.
5. How does Bim describe time? What do you think she means by this?
6. Why do you think the children's parents are at the club playing bridge every night?
7. Why is Bim's conversation with the elder Misras important to the plot?
8. How does Bim feel about her youth? Why do you think she feels that way?
9. What are some of the basic differences between Tara and Bim? Examine their appearance, their attitudes, their sense of family.
10. Describe Bim as an adult woman, including her attitude towards her family members as well as her appearance.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tara and Bim are sisters, but their personalities are very different. Describe each of the sisters and compare them in the following ways:
1) visions of the future
2) learning and school
3) handling adversity
4) finding love and happiness in their lives
Essay Topic 2
Several minor characters in this novel are highlighted during the novel: Mulk, Dr. Biswas, and Sharma. What role do these characters play in the progress of the plot? What role do they play in accentuating the character development of the main characters?
Essay Topic 3
The children are present on the banks of the Jumna River when Hyder Ali Sahib rides by on his fine white horse. How do each of the children remember this incident, and how does it affect them? Describe it from the viewpoint of Raja, Bim, Tara and Baba.
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)