|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bim recover from grieving for Aunt Mira
2. Where does Bakul think he and Tara should have stayed instead of at her family home?
3. How did Raja meet Hyder Ali?
4. Why are the Misras sisters still living at the family home?
5. What poet does Bim read to Raja to make him calm down?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the family home and the feeling you get about it.
2. Why is Bim's conversation with the elder Misras important to the plot?
3. Why is Tara so disturbed by Bim's remarks on the lawn with Bakul and the Misras?
4. Why does so much responsibility fall to Bim?
5. Describe the way Bim speaks to Tara, to Bakul and to Baba.
6. Why does Raja refuse to take over the family business?
7. Why does Raja choose Hindu College over his original choice?
8. What is Tara's purpose in coming to the family home?
9. Why does Raja leave Bim alone to care for Baba?
10. Why does Tara begin to spend time with the Misras sisters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tara and Bim are sisters, but their personalities are very different. Describe each of the sisters and compare them in the following ways:
1) visions of the future
2) learning and school
3) handling adversity
4) finding love and happiness in their lives
Essay Topic 2
Raja admires Hyder Ali Sahib from the moment he first sees him. How did Hyder Ali Sahib's attention to the young Hindi man affect Raja's life?
Essay Topic 3
What is the symbolism of the cow in the plot? Does it represent the innocence of the children, the indentured servitude of Aunt Mira, lost hopes, or is it just a cow?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)