Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often do Bakul and Tara visit Bim and Baba?
2. What surrounds Tara's family home and those of her neighbors?
3. The sisters remember playing in the sand and along the banks of what nearby river?
4. What do the children call their father?
5. What happened to their mother after twenty years of spending her evenings at the club?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Raja refuse to take over the family business?
2. How does Tara feel about her youth? What makes her feel that way?
3. How does Tara see their childhood?
4. Why does Bim resist everything Tara says and mocks Bakul's words?
5. Why does Bim show the letter from Raja to Tara?
6. What is the symbolism of Bim tearing up Raja's old letter concerning the rent?
7. Why is Tara so disturbed by Bim's remarks on the lawn with Bakul and the Misras?
8. Why does the author use the episodes of the mad dog, the young teacher, and the bees to describe Tara's character?
9. How was Baba different?
10. How did Tara remember the incident when Bim was stung by bees?
Essay Topic 1
How are the children treated by their parents, and how does this treatment show up in their lives? After a paragraph concerning the treatment of all of the children, choose one of them and write about how the parents' treatment affected that character's attitude towards life, their choices in love, and their professions.
Essay Topic 2
Read over the passages of Baba's thoughts and the description of the young man in Part 1. How does he deal with the world? How does he perceive the world? Could he live independently of Bim?
Essay Topic 3
Read over the poetry lines used by the author in this novel, which are used as a plot device. What was the purpose of each insertion into the story line? Does it work?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)