|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Biswas say is wrong with Bim?
2. What does Bim give Baba by way of apology for driving him out of the house that morning?
3. How often do Bakul and Tara visit Bim and Baba?
4. What color horse does Hyder Ali ride along the banks of the Jumna River
5. Why did Baba refuse the new 78 records that Tara found for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bim describe time? What do you think she means by this?
2. What is symbolic about the father's car that was left in the garage after his death?
3. Why does so much responsibility fall to Bim?
4. Describe the way Bim speaks to Tara, to Bakul and to Baba.
5. Why does Dr. Biswas feel a sense of failure after talking to Bim about Raja's tuberculosis?
6. Describe Bim as an adult woman, including her attitude towards her family members as well as her appearance.
7. Why are Muslims no longer safe in India? What has caused this problem?
8. Why does Tara begin to spend time with the Misras sisters?
9. What resulted from Raja's admiration of Hyder Ali Sahid?
10. Why does Raja choose Hindu College over his original choice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the predominant themes of this novel and explore how the author presented the theme via dialogue, symbolism, characters, etc.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses many symbols in the book to create a sense of place. Describe several of these, including the family pets, the garden path, and the unrest in the city.
Essay Topic 3
Tara is a very sensitive soul. Incidents that seem trivial to others become major events and obstacles for Tara. Why do you think this is? What steps could she take to become stronger and more accepting about life?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)