|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does this family dispose of the dead?
2. How do Bim's students describe Old Delhi?
3. How often do Bakul and Tara visit Bim and Baba?
4. What happens when Raja's friends at Hindu College find out he believes the idea of Pakistan is feasible?
5. What is wrong with Aunt Mira?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Bim believes she is seeing Aunt Mira's ghost in the garden?
2. Why is Tara so disturbed by Bim's remarks on the lawn with Bakul and the Misras?
3. Describe Bim as an adult woman, including her attitude towards her family members as well as her appearance.
4. Why does Raja refuse to take over the family business?
5. Why does Bim begin to respond to Dr. Biswas and his invitations to take her out?
6. How does Bim describe time? What do you think she means by this?
7. Why does so much responsibility fall to Bim?
8. Why do you think the children's parents are at the club playing bridge every night?
9. Why does Dr. Biswas feel a sense of failure after talking to Bim about Raja's tuberculosis?
10. What is the importance in the plot of the Misras brother, Mulk, and his drunkeness
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Raja admires Hyder Ali Sahib from the moment he first sees him. How did Hyder Ali Sahib's attention to the young Hindi man affect Raja's life?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Bakul and Tara, using dialogue and action to make your points. In your opinion, did the marriage change when Tara realized how mistaken she had been about her family members all these years?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Bim so afraid at the last that Tara will take Baba with them to Raja's house?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)