|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bim and Baba return from Hyder Ali Sahib's house, what has happened?
2. What disrupts the neighborhood gathering?
3. How does the richness of Hyder Ali's home compare to Raja's home?
4. Who does Bimla think of when she hears that Gandhi has been killed?
5. What sort of birds begin their calls before daylight around the family's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bim show the letter from Raja to Tara?
2. Why does Raja choose Hindu College over his original choice?
3. What is the difference between the languages of Urdu and Hindi?
4. Why does Tara begin to spend time with the Misras sisters?
5. Why is Bim's conversation with the elder Misras important to the plot?
6. What are some of the basic differences between Tara and Bim? Examine their appearance, their attitudes, their sense of family.
7. Describe Bakul's appearance and behavior, and discuss his attitude towards his work and towards his wife.
8. Describe the family home and the feeling you get about it.
9. Why does Dr. Biswas feel a sense of failure after talking to Bim about Raja's tuberculosis?
10. Why is Raja so upset about the whereabouts of the family of Hyder Ali Sahid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Bakul and Tara, using dialogue and action to make your points. In your opinion, did the marriage change when Tara realized how mistaken she had been about her family members all these years?
Essay Topic 2
Several minor characters in this novel are highlighted during the novel: Mulk, Dr. Biswas, and Sharma. What role do these characters play in the progress of the plot? What role do they play in accentuating the character development of the main characters?
Essay Topic 3
Read over the passages of Baba's thoughts and the description of the young man in Part 1. How does he deal with the world? How does he perceive the world? Could he live independently of Bim?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)