|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Aunt Mira?
2. What does Bim return with from Hyder Ali Sahib's house?
3. Why did Baba refuse the new 78 records that Tara found for him?
4. Who does Bimla think of when she hears that Gandhi has been killed?
5. When Raja gets older, what other activity does he get involved in at Hyder Ali's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the word games the children played to pass the time.
2. How was Mira treated by her dead husband's family?
3. What resulted from Raja's admiration of Hyder Ali Sahid?
4. Describe the relationship between Bim and Raja.
5. What is the difference between the languages of Urdu and Hindi?
6. Why does Tara begin to spend time with the Misras sisters?
7. Why does so much responsibility fall to Bim?
8. What is the symbolism of Bim tearing up Raja's old letter concerning the rent?
9. Describe Aunt Mira's behavior in this chapter.
10. Why does Tara fail so miserably in school?
Essay Topic 1
Why is Bim so afraid at the last that Tara will take Baba with them to Raja's house?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Aunt Mira and her life. Compare her life before she moves into the family home, and afterwards. Discuss the sacrifices she has made, and the rewards received by dedicating her life to the four children.
Essay Topic 3
Tara is a very sensitive soul. Incidents that seem trivial to others become major events and obstacles for Tara. Why do you think this is? What steps could she take to become stronger and more accepting about life?
This section contains 1,224 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)