|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bim react to his interest?
2. When Bim and Baba return from Hyder Ali Sahib's house, what has happened?
3. What is Bim's answer when Raja says he wants to grow up to be a hero?
4. Who does Raja suggest to take over the family business?
5. Who does Dr. Biswas admire above all others?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tara feel about her youth? What makes her feel that way?
2. Why are Muslims no longer safe in India? What has caused this problem?
3. Why do you think Bim believes she is seeing Aunt Mira's ghost in the garden?
4. Describe Bakul's appearance and behavior, and discuss his attitude towards his work and towards his wife.
5. What are some of the basic differences between Tara and Bim? Examine their appearance, their attitudes, their sense of family.
6. Why is Raja so upset about the whereabouts of the family of Hyder Ali Sahid?
7. Why does Bim begin to respond to Dr. Biswas and his invitations to take her out?
8. Why is Tara so disturbed by Bim's remarks on the lawn with Bakul and the Misras?
9. Describe Aunt Mira's behavior in this chapter.
10. What is Tara's purpose in coming to the family home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Read the paragraphs following the moment that Tara, Bakul and the girls leave the family home and Bim and Baba are left sitting on the veranda in the light. How the symbolism and theme of the entire novel represented there?
Essay Topic 2
When Raja and Bim are children, they are close, best friends. As he ages, Raja turns away from Bim, until he finally leaves her. Describe the evolution of this relationship, and your explanation for Raja's decision to leave the family home?
Essay Topic 3
What is the symbolism of the cow in the plot? Does it represent the innocence of the children, the indentured servitude of Aunt Mira, lost hopes, or is it just a cow?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)