|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bim recover from grieving for Aunt Mira
2. What happened to the father?
3. Why can't they visit more often?
4. Where does Bim go with the Doctor?
5. What color horse does Hyder Ali ride along the banks of the Jumna River
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Raja leave Bim alone to care for Baba?
2. Why is Raja so upset about the whereabouts of the family of Hyder Ali Sahid?
3. Why does Raja choose Hindu College over his original choice?
4. Describe the way Bim speaks to Tara, to Bakul and to Baba.
5. What is symbolic about the father's car that was left in the garage after his death?
6. Why does Dr. Biswas feel a sense of failure after talking to Bim about Raja's tuberculosis?
7. How does Tara feel about her youth? What makes her feel that way?
8. Describe the family home and the feeling you get about it.
9. How does Bim describe time? What do you think she means by this?
10. Describe Bim as an adult woman, including her attitude towards her family members as well as her appearance.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the predominant themes of this novel and explore how the author presented the theme via dialogue, symbolism, characters, etc.
Essay Topic 2
When Raja and Bim are children, they are close, best friends. As he ages, Raja turns away from Bim, until he finally leaves her. Describe the evolution of this relationship, and your explanation for Raja's decision to leave the family home?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Bakul and Tara, using dialogue and action to make your points. In your opinion, did the marriage change when Tara realized how mistaken she had been about her family members all these years?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)