|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the Misras brothers still living alone at their family home?
2. Who does Dr. Biswas admire above all others?
3. What happens to Aunt Mira in this chapter?
4. Where does Baba get the gramophone?
5. What does Bim give Baba by way of apology for driving him out of the house that morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bim begin to respond to Dr. Biswas and his invitations to take her out?
2. Why does so much responsibility fall to Bim?
3. Describe Bakul's appearance and behavior, and discuss his attitude towards his work and towards his wife.
4. Why do you think Bim believes she is seeing Aunt Mira's ghost in the garden?
5. What is symbolic about Tara holding Bim's hand on the day of their departure?
6. How did Tara remember the incident when Bim was stung by bees?
7. Why does Tara want Bim and Baba to go to the wedding of Raja's daughter?
8. Describe the word games the children played to pass the time.
9. Why does Raja refuse to take over the family business?
10. Why does Bim show the letter from Raja to Tara?
Essay Topic 1
The children are present on the banks of the Jumna River when Hyder Ali Sahib rides by on his fine white horse. How do each of the children remember this incident, and how does it affect them? Describe it from the viewpoint of Raja, Bim, Tara and Baba.
Essay Topic 2
Raja admires Hyder Ali Sahib from the moment he first sees him. How did Hyder Ali Sahib's attention to the young Hindi man affect Raja's life?
Essay Topic 3
Tara and Bim are sisters, but their personalities are very different. Describe each of the sisters and compare them in the following ways:
1) visions of the future
2) learning and school
3) handling adversity
4) finding love and happiness in their lives
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)