|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the Misras sisters still living at the family home?
2. When Tara speaks of being young again, what is Bim's reaction?
3. What does Mulk accuse his sisters of doing to him?
4. Who does Raja suggest to take over the family business?
5. Who does Bim choose to speak to rather than the Misras brothers and sisters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Raja refuse to take over the family business?
2. What are some of the basic differences between Tara and Bim? Examine their appearance, their attitudes, their sense of family.
3. What is the importance in the plot of the Misras brother, Mulk, and his drunkeness
4. Why do you think Bim believes she is seeing Aunt Mira's ghost in the garden?
5. Describe Bim as an adult woman, including her attitude towards her family members as well as her appearance.
6. What is Tara's purpose in coming to the family home?
7. Why does Tara begin to spend time with the Misras sisters?
8. Why does Bim begin to respond to Dr. Biswas and his invitations to take her out?
9. Why does Raja leave Bim alone to care for Baba?
10. Describe Aunt Mira's behavior in this chapter.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Read over the passages of Baba's thoughts and the description of the young man in Part 1. How does he deal with the world? How does he perceive the world? Could he live independently of Bim?
Essay Topic 2
Several minor characters in this novel are highlighted during the novel: Mulk, Dr. Biswas, and Sharma. What role do these characters play in the progress of the plot? What role do they play in accentuating the character development of the main characters?
Essay Topic 3
When Raja and Bim are children, they are close, best friends. As he ages, Raja turns away from Bim, until he finally leaves her. Describe the evolution of this relationship, and your explanation for Raja's decision to leave the family home?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)