|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What talent did their brother Raja have that developed into a career for him?
2. How does Bim recover from grieving for Aunt Mira
3. What happened to Hyder Ali's household members?
4. How does Bim use this old letter from Raja?
5. Who does Dr. Biswas admire above all others?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bim resist everything Tara says and mocks Bakul's words?
2. Why does Raja choose Hindu College over his original choice?
3. Why is the episode with the cow so important to this novel?
4. Describe the family home and the feeling you get about it.
5. Describe the children's mother
6. Why is Bim's conversation with the elder Misras important to the plot?
7. What is the symbolism of Tara's words to Bim pouring out of her quickly on the day of her departure?
8. Describe the relationship between Bim and Raja.
9. How does Bim feel about her youth? Why do you think she feels that way?
10. How does Tara see Aunt Mira?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Read over the passages of Baba's thoughts and the description of the young man in Part 1. How does he deal with the world? How does he perceive the world? Could he live independently of Bim?
Essay Topic 2
When Raja and Bim are children, they are close, best friends. As he ages, Raja turns away from Bim, until he finally leaves her. Describe the evolution of this relationship, and your explanation for Raja's decision to leave the family home?
Essay Topic 3
Read over the poetry lines used by the author in this novel, which are used as a plot device. What was the purpose of each insertion into the story line? Does it work?
This section contains 1,221 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)