|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What helps Raja to begin to get better?
2. What kind of business did the Misras brothers have and lose?
3. How does Bim react to his interest?
4. Who does Raja suggest to take over the family business?
5. What family pet joins the sisters in the garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolic about the father's car that was left in the garage after his death?
2. Why is Tara so disturbed by Bim's remarks on the lawn with Bakul and the Misras?
3. Why does Dr. Biswas feel a sense of failure after talking to Bim about Raja's tuberculosis?
4. Describe the way Bim speaks to Tara, to Bakul and to Baba.
5. Why are Muslims no longer safe in India? What has caused this problem?
6. Why does Raja leave Bim alone to care for Baba?
7. Why does Bim show the letter from Raja to Tara?
8. Why does the tea party with Dr. Biswas, his mother and Bim go badly?
9. Why is Bim's conversation with the elder Misras important to the plot?
10. Why do you think the children's parents are at the club playing bridge every night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Tara's relationship with Aunt Mira differ with those of Bim and Raja and Aunt Mira?
Essay Topic 2
Raja admires Hyder Ali Sahib from the moment he first sees him. How did Hyder Ali Sahib's attention to the young Hindi man affect Raja's life?
Essay Topic 3
When Raja and Bim are children, they are close, best friends. As he ages, Raja turns away from Bim, until he finally leaves her. Describe the evolution of this relationship, and your explanation for Raja's decision to leave the family home?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)