|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tara think Bim looks like?
2. What does Bim attempt to do when she joins the others in the garden area and begins talking?
3. What do the children call their father?
4. Who does Bimla think of when she hears that Gandhi has been killed?
5. How often do Bakul and Tara visit Bim and Baba?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Raja refuse to take over the family business?
2. Why does Tara begin to spend time with the Misras sisters?
3. What is symbolic about the father's car that was left in the garage after his death?
4. Why do you think Bim believes she is seeing Aunt Mira's ghost in the garden?
5. How is Old Delhi different from New Delhi? Re-read the parts describing the city and note the words the author uses. Do the words create a sense of place?
6. Why is Raja so upset about the whereabouts of the family of Hyder Ali Sahid?
7. Describe the family home and the feeling you get about it.
8. What is Tara's purpose in coming to the family home?
9. Why is Bim's conversation with the elder Misras important to the plot?
10. Why does Bim begin to respond to Dr. Biswas and his invitations to take her out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Aunt Mira and her life. Compare her life before she moves into the family home, and afterwards. Discuss the sacrifices she has made, and the rewards received by dedicating her life to the four children.
Essay Topic 2
Raja admires Hyder Ali Sahib from the moment he first sees him. How did Hyder Ali Sahib's attention to the young Hindi man affect Raja's life?
Essay Topic 3
Read over the poetry lines used by the author in this novel, which are used as a plot device. What was the purpose of each insertion into the story line? Does it work?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)