|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Bim's students describe Old Delhi?
2. What color horse does Hyder Ali ride along the banks of the Jumna River
3. Who does Raja share his knowledge and dreams with in the family?
4. What does Raja say as he is leaving for Hyderabad?
5. What does Bim pull out of the desk to show to Tara that night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the children think of their father as the master of the entrance and the exit?
2. How does Bim describe time? What do you think she means by this?
3. Why does Dr. Biswas feel a sense of failure after talking to Bim about Raja's tuberculosis?
4. Why are Muslims no longer safe in India? What has caused this problem?
5. Why does Tara begin to spend time with the Misras sisters?
6. Why does so much responsibility fall to Bim?
7. Why does Bim begin to respond to Dr. Biswas and his invitations to take her out?
8. Why is Tara so disturbed by Bim's remarks on the lawn with Bakul and the Misras?
9. How is Old Delhi different from New Delhi? Re-read the parts describing the city and note the words the author uses. Do the words create a sense of place?
10. Why does Bim show the letter from Raja to Tara?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Aunt Mira and her life. Compare her life before she moves into the family home, and afterwards. Discuss the sacrifices she has made, and the rewards received by dedicating her life to the four children.
Essay Topic 2
This novel is set over a number of years, but almost always in summer. How does the author use the oppressive heat, the wild noisy birds, and the overgrown foliage to create imagery and the feeling of heavy weight on her characters, their actions and their decisions?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the predominant themes of this novel and explore how the author presented the theme via dialogue, symbolism, characters, etc.
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)