|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Baba refuse the new 78 records that Tara found for him?
2. What surrounds Tara's family home and those of her neighbors?
3. When Bim and Baba return from Hyder Ali Sahib's house, what has happened?
4. What are the names of the people everyone is talking about that summer, according to this novel?
5. Who does Raja suggest to take over the family business?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bim describe time? What do you think she means by this?
2. Why do the children think of their father as the master of the entrance and the exit?
3. Why is Raja so upset about the whereabouts of the family of Hyder Ali Sahid?
4. What is symbolic about the father's car that was left in the garage after his death?
5. Why does Raja choose Hindu College over his original choice?
6. Why is Bim's conversation with the elder Misras important to the plot?
7. How does Bim feel about her youth? Why do you think she feels that way?
8. What resulted from Raja's admiration of Hyder Ali Sahid?
9. Describe Bim as an adult woman, including her attitude towards her family members as well as her appearance.
10. What is the difference between the languages of Urdu and Hindi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Bakul and Tara, using dialogue and action to make your points. In your opinion, did the marriage change when Tara realized how mistaken she had been about her family members all these years?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the predominant themes of this novel and explore how the author presented the theme via dialogue, symbolism, characters, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Read the paragraphs following the moment that Tara, Bakul and the girls leave the family home and Bim and Baba are left sitting on the veranda in the light. How the symbolism and theme of the entire novel represented there?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)