|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did her father give her mother injections?
2. Why does Dr. Biswas think Bim is not interested in his courtship?
3. What does Bim attempt to do when she joins the others in the garden area and begins talking?
4. What family pet joins the sisters in the garden?
5. When Raja gets older, what other activity does he get involved in at Hyder Ali's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dr. Biswas feel a sense of failure after talking to Bim about Raja's tuberculosis?
2. Why does Raja refuse to take over the family business?
3. Why does Tara begin to spend time with the Misras sisters?
4. Why does so much responsibility fall to Bim?
5. Why does Bim show the letter from Raja to Tara?
6. Why does Raja leave Bim alone to care for Baba?
7. What resulted from Raja's admiration of Hyder Ali Sahid?
8. How is Old Delhi different from New Delhi? Re-read the parts describing the city and note the words the author uses. Do the words create a sense of place?
9. Describe Bakul's appearance and behavior, and discuss his attitude towards his work and towards his wife.
10. How does Bim feel about her youth? Why do you think she feels that way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tara and Bim are sisters, but their personalities are very different. Describe each of the sisters and compare them in the following ways:
1) visions of the future
2) learning and school
3) handling adversity
4) finding love and happiness in their lives
Essay Topic 2
When Raja and Bim are children, they are close, best friends. As he ages, Raja turns away from Bim, until he finally leaves her. Describe the evolution of this relationship, and your explanation for Raja's decision to leave the family home?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Aunt Mira and her life. Compare her life before she moves into the family home, and afterwards. Discuss the sacrifices she has made, and the rewards received by dedicating her life to the four children.
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)