|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Baba do that surprises everyone?
2. Who is asleep on the veranda when Bakul, Bim and Tara return home?
3. Why did her father give her mother injections?
4. Whose ghost does Bim claim to have seen in the garden?
5. What disrupts the neighborhood gathering?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the tea party with Dr. Biswas, his mother and Bim go badly?
2. Describe the family home and the feeling you get about it.
3. What are some of the basic differences between Tara and Bim? Examine their appearance, their attitudes, their sense of family.
4. Describe Bim as an adult woman, including her attitude towards her family members as well as her appearance.
5. Why do you think the children's parents are at the club playing bridge every night?
6. Why do the children think of their father as the master of the entrance and the exit?
7. Describe the way Bim speaks to Tara, to Bakul and to Baba.
8. What is the difference between the languages of Urdu and Hindi?
9. How does Tara feel about her youth? What makes her feel that way?
10. Why does so much responsibility fall to Bim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tara and Bim are sisters, but their personalities are very different. Describe each of the sisters and compare them in the following ways:
1) visions of the future
2) learning and school
3) handling adversity
4) finding love and happiness in their lives
Essay Topic 2
Why does Bim tell Tara to ask Raja to come see her and Baba, rather than Bim and Baba traveling to see Raja?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Aunt Mira and her life. Compare her life before she moves into the family home, and afterwards. Discuss the sacrifices she has made, and the rewards received by dedicating her life to the four children.
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)