|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dr. Biswas think Bim is not interested in his courtship?
2. What overcomes Tara when she is at her family home?
3. Why did Baba refuse the new 78 records that Tara found for him?
4. Where does Bim go with the Doctor?
5. Where has Bakul been posted when he comes to ask Bim for permission to marry Tara?
Short Essay Questions
1. What resulted from Raja's admiration of Hyder Ali Sahid?
2. Why does Bim begin to respond to Dr. Biswas and his invitations to take her out?
3. Why does Raja refuse to take over the family business?
4. Describe the family home and the feeling you get about it.
5. Why do you think the children's parents are at the club playing bridge every night?
6. Describe the way Bim speaks to Tara, to Bakul and to Baba.
7. What is symbolic about the father's car that was left in the garage after his death?
8. Why do the children think of their father as the master of the entrance and the exit?
9. How does Bim describe time? What do you think she means by this?
10. What is the difference between the languages of Urdu and Hindi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tara and Bim are sisters, but their personalities are very different. Describe each of the sisters and compare them in the following ways:
1) visions of the future
2) learning and school
3) handling adversity
4) finding love and happiness in their lives
Essay Topic 2
How does Tara's relationship with Aunt Mira differ with those of Bim and Raja and Aunt Mira?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Bim so afraid at the last that Tara will take Baba with them to Raja's house?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)