|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is sitting on the veranda while Raja departs the family home?
2. Who did their brother Raja admire above all?
3. Where has Bakul been posted when he comes to ask Bim for permission to marry Tara?
4. Where does Raja say he will go?
5. Who does Raja share his knowledge and dreams with in the family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bim begin to respond to Dr. Biswas and his invitations to take her out?
2. Why are Muslims no longer safe in India? What has caused this problem?
3. What resulted from Raja's admiration of Hyder Ali Sahid?
4. Why does Bim show the letter from Raja to Tara?
5. How is Old Delhi different from New Delhi? Re-read the parts describing the city and note the words the author uses. Do the words create a sense of place?
6. Why do you think Bim believes she is seeing Aunt Mira's ghost in the garden?
7. What are some of the basic differences between Tara and Bim? Examine their appearance, their attitudes, their sense of family.
8. Why does Raja leave Bim alone to care for Baba?
9. What is symbolic about the father's car that was left in the garage after his death?
10. Why is Raja so upset about the whereabouts of the family of Hyder Ali Sahid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tara is a very sensitive soul. Incidents that seem trivial to others become major events and obstacles for Tara. Why do you think this is? What steps could she take to become stronger and more accepting about life?
Essay Topic 2
How does Tara's relationship with Aunt Mira differ with those of Bim and Raja and Aunt Mira?
Essay Topic 3
The children are present on the banks of the Jumna River when Hyder Ali Sahib rides by on his fine white horse. How do each of the children remember this incident, and how does it affect them? Describe it from the viewpoint of Raja, Bim, Tara and Baba.
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)