|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Tara so shocked at Bim's descriptions of Raja and his family?
(a) Because Bim uses obscene language in her descriptions
(b) Because Bim's descriptions are so loving an admiring, and Tara is concerned Bim is ini love with her own brother
(c) Because they are so accurate
(d) Because Tara has visited Raja often and knows these descriptions are incorrect
2. What did Bim want to be when she was grown up?
(a) A caregiver
(b) A Heroine
(c) A race car driver
(d) A card player
3. What has happened to the Misras brothers' wives?
(a) They are still at the house, just away shopping
(b) They have passed away
(c) They have pursued careers in the foreign service and travel constantly
(d) They have returned to their own families rather than deal with the men
4. What episode at school disturbed Tara deeply and made her think of blood?
(a) One of the teachers dies in class
(b) One of the girls in class injures their head
(c) The shooting of a mad dog that was hiding under one of the buildings
(d) A bird hits the school room window and dies
5. What honor did Raja receive in school?
(a) Quarterback for the football team
(b) Member of the National Honor Society
(c) One of his poems won a prize
(d) Most Popular
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Baba think if anything happened to Bim?
2. How does Bakul deal with the atmosphere in Tara's family home during their stay?
3. Which of the children first grows tired of Aunt Mira's ministrations and leaves the home for other adventures?
4. When Bakul sees Bim at her desk the next morning and offers to help with speaking to Sharma, what is her reaction?
5. What did Tara see her father do to her mother long ago?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolic about Tara holding Bim's hand on the day of their departure?
2. What is the symbolism of Bim tearing up Raja's old letter concerning the rent?
3. Why does the author use the episodes of the mad dog, the young teacher, and the bees to describe Tara's character?
4. Why is Bakul so shocked when Bim says she has made a decision?
5. Describe the word games the children played to pass the time.
6. How does Tara see Aunt Mira?
7. Why is the episode with the cow so important to this novel?
8. How was Baba different?
9. Why does Bim resist everything Tara says and mocks Bakul's words?
10. Describe the children's mother
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)