|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What big event is happening at Raja's house?
(a) His wife is pregnant again
(b) He is being promoted
(c) His daughter is getting married
(d) His 100th poem has been published
2. What does Bim do that evening to help calm her mind?
(a) Reads her old favorite books
(b) Calls Raja and talks for hours
(c) Drinks wine
(d) Watches a favorite tv program
3. Why is Tara carrying a set of keys on a chain around her waist?
(a) Bakul has asked her to keep the keys to their trunks and suitcases
(b) She found these keys in Bim's desk and Bim gave them to her
(c) She cannot find her purse
(d) She likes the sound it makes when she walks
4. What is one of the most memorable actions she takes against Tara?
(a) Bim cuts off all of Tara's hair
(b) Biim exposes Tara to a swarm of bees
(c) Bim tells Aunt Mira lies about Tara
(d) Bim suspends Tara's telephone rights
5. What sort of climate did the children grow up in?
(a) On an island off the coast of India, breezy and warm
(b) Moderate, with four distinct seasons of snow, cool autumns, mild summers and pleasant springs.
(c) Bitter cold, in the mountains of India
(d) Tropic, intense heat and humidity during the summer
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Theosophy?
2. Who of the family needed Aunt Mira the most?
3. Who was sent to fetch them?
4. What episode at school upset Tara's emotions so much she seem obsessed with one of the teachers?
5. What does Baba say?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bim resist everything Tara says and mocks Bakul's words?
2. On page 115, the children ask Mira why their parents play cards, and Mira thinks the answer is obvious. What do you think is the reason?
3. Why did Tara think her father was trying to kill her mother?
4. What is the symbolism of Tara's words to Bim pouring out of her quickly on the day of her departure?
5. Describe the children's mother
6. Describe Raja in Bim's eyes until this chapter begins.
7. What difference does Aunt Mira make in Baba's life?
8. Describe Aunt Mira as she is in this chapter
9. How was Mira treated by her dead husband's family?
10. Why does the author use the episodes of the mad dog, the young teacher, and the bees to describe Tara's character?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)