|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Baba different from the other children?
(a) He could see into the future
(b) He was brilliant, a quick learner and early to walk and talk
(c) He was very slow to progress and did not talk
(d) He was darker in skin color
2. What has happened to the Misras sisters' husbands?
(a) They have abandoned the sisters
(b) They have died
(c) They have been lost at sea
(d) They have divorced the sitsers
3. Why is Tara so shocked at Bim's descriptions of Raja and his family?
(a) Because Bim's descriptions are so loving an admiring, and Tara is concerned Bim is ini love with her own brother
(b) Because Bim uses obscene language in her descriptions
(c) Because Tara has visited Raja often and knows these descriptions are incorrect
(d) Because they are so accurate
4. At lunch that day, what does Bim try to force Tara to eat?
(a) Very hot curry
(b) Orange peels
(c) A rotten orange
(d) Red meat
5. How does Bim remember the incident?
(a) She remembers it just as intensely, but saw it in a different light
(b) She hardly recalls it, thinking only of the minor pain of the stings
(c) She has never forgiven her sister for running off
(d) She thinks about Tara's betrayal every day
Short Answer Questions
1. Tara tries to talk to one of the Misras sisters regarding her concerns about Bim. How does the Misras sister react?
2. Why does Aunt Mira ask the chidren's parents for a cow?
3. What is one of the most memorable actions she takes against Tara?
4. What honor did Bim receive in school?
5. How was Mira treated by her husband's family after he died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author use the episodes of the mad dog, the young teacher, and the bees to describe Tara's character?
2. Why does Tara fail so miserably in school?
3. How did Bim remember the incident where she was stung by bees?
4. What is the symbolism of Bim tearing up Raja's old letter concerning the rent?
5. Why does Bim resist everything Tara says and mocks Bakul's words?
6. Why does Tara want Bim and Baba to go to the wedding of Raja's daughter?
7. Why does Bim take out her rage on Baba?
8. What is the symbolism the author is relaying when she describes childhood games where the sisters are never able to catch their older brother?
9. Describe the word games the children played to pass the time.
10. How does Tara see Aunt Mira?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)