|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bakul deal with the atmosphere in Tara's family home during their stay?
(a) He encourages the sisters to talk it out
(b) He manipulates Bim and Tara to cause further anger
(c) He tries to assist Tara in working out the problems with her sister
(d) He schedules luncheons and meetings all day every day
2. What does Bim tell Tara to tell Raja?
(a) I will bring Baba for a visit next summer
(b) Come soon to visit me and Baba
(c) Leave us alone
(d) Send me money
3. As a child, what was Tara always expecting?
(a) To find out she was adopted
(b) To be punished by her parents
(c) To find a treasure or become a princess
(d) To be disappointed
4. How many children does Raja have?
(a) One son and six daughters
(b) Five - four daughters and a son
(c) Three daughters and two sons
(d) One son
5. What sort of books does Tara read?
(a) Science fiction
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Mira treated by her husband's family after he died?
2. What disease did Aunt Mira nurse Bim and Raja through?
3. At lunch that day, what does Bim try to force Tara to eat?
4. What does she do with the papers?
5. What does she say to Baba that upsets him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the episode with the cow so important to this novel?
2. Describe the relationship between Bim and Raja.
3. How was Mira treated by her dead husband's family?
4. On page 115, the children ask Mira why their parents play cards, and Mira thinks the answer is obvious. What do you think is the reason?
5. How does Bim see their childhood?
6. Why is Bakul so shocked when Bim says she has made a decision?
7. Why does Bim take out her rage on Baba?
8. What is the symbolism of Tara's words to Bim pouring out of her quickly on the day of her departure?
9. Why does Tara want Bim and Baba to go to the wedding of Raja's daughter?
10. What difference does Aunt Mira make in Baba's life?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)