|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the climate affect the children?
(a) They were active in sports
(b) They laid around the house or on the veranda, too hot to play anything but word games
(c) They were energized to do anything to keep warm
(d) They spent all their time out of doors riding their bikes
2. What papers does she decide to go through?
(a) The ones in the bottom drawer of the desk
(b) Tara's private papers
(c) Old drawings done by Baba
(d) Bakul's official papers
3. Why does Bim become angry at Tara?
(a) Tara has made false accusations against Bim
(b) Tara's description of her own life and that of Raja makes Bim feel excluded
(c) Bim is jealous of Tara's wardrobe
(d) Tara is behaving like a child
4. What episode at school upset Tara's emotions so much she seem obsessed with one of the teachers?
(a) A female teacher was found to be having an affair with a local monk
(b) A teacher elopes with Sharma
(c) A female teacher falls in love with Tara
(d) Two of the teachers fall in love
5. In this chapter, who is Tara attempting to write a letter to?
(a) Her daughters
(c) One of the Misras brothers
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age was Aunt Mira widowed?
2. What do the children do every evening?
3. What does Tara see in Bim that she never saw before?
4. What did Tara think was happening?
5. Which of the children grew up to become exactly what they said they wanted to be as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism the author is relaying when she describes childhood games where the sisters are never able to catch their older brother?
2. Describe Raja in Bim's eyes until this chapter begins.
3. Why is the episode with the cow so important to this novel?
4. Why does Tara fail so miserably in school?
5. Describe the relationship between Bim and Raja.
6. What is the symbolism of Bim tearing up Raja's old letter concerning the rent?
7. Why does the author use the episodes of the mad dog, the young teacher, and the bees to describe Tara's character?
8. What is the symbolism of Tara's words to Bim pouring out of her quickly on the day of her departure?
9. How did Bim remember the incident where she was stung by bees?
10. Why did Tara think her father was trying to kill her mother?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)