|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Tara marry Bakul instead of going to college and furthering her education?
(a) She could not afford college
(b) She was pregnant
(c) She could not decide what courses to take
(d) Tara hated school
2. What sort of climate did the children grow up in?
(a) Moderate, with four distinct seasons of snow, cool autumns, mild summers and pleasant springs.
(b) Bitter cold, in the mountains of India
(c) Tropic, intense heat and humidity during the summer
(d) On an island off the coast of India, breezy and warm
3. What did Bim want to be when she was grown up?
(a) A caregiver
(b) A Heroine
(c) A card player
(d) A race car driver
4. What does Bim say about rich, fat and successful people?
(a) They are exciting
(b) They are boring
(c) They are admirable
(d) She wants to be one of them
5. How does Bim remember the incident?
(a) She has never forgiven her sister for running off
(b) She hardly recalls it, thinking only of the minor pain of the stings
(c) She thinks about Tara's betrayal every day
(d) She remembers it just as intensely, but saw it in a different light
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bim say when Bakul suggests she talk with Raja before selling?
2. When Raja is away from home one afternoon, what do Bim and Tara do?
3. What does she say to Baba that upsets him?
4. What is one of the most memorable actions she takes against Tara?
5. As a child, what was Tara always expecting?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Mira treated by her dead husband's family?
2. Describe Bim as Tara sees her in this chapter.
3. Describe Aunt Mira as she is in this chapter
4. Why is the episode with the cow so important to this novel?
5. Why does Bim resist everything Tara says and mocks Bakul's words?
6. How does Bim see their childhood?
7. What is the symbolism of Tara's words to Bim pouring out of her quickly on the day of her departure?
8. Describe Raja in Bim's eyes until this chapter begins.
9. Why does Tara want Bim and Baba to go to the wedding of Raja's daughter?
10. In your opinion, has Bim always been this way and Tara never saw it, or has Bim changed over the years?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)