|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose letter does Tara read to Bim?
(a) A letter to Tara from Raja
(b) From her daughters
(c) From their mother to their father
(d) From Aunt Mira to their mother
2. How does Bim now see the pattern of her life?
3. What has Bim worried in this chapter?
(a) Bim has just discovered she is pregnant
(b) Dr. Biswas is courting her again
(c) A letter from the family business partner, Sharma, has arrived and he wishes to speak to them
(d) Baba is ill
4. What sort of books does Tara read?
(d) Science fiction
5. What is one of the most memorable actions she takes against Tara?
(a) Bim suspends Tara's telephone rights
(b) Biim exposes Tara to a swarm of bees
(c) Bim cuts off all of Tara's hair
(d) Bim tells Aunt Mira lies about Tara
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bakul's solution to Tara's problems with Bim?
2. How does Bim handle her anger at Raja for growing up and away from the other children?
3. As Tara gets older, she no longer seeks comfort from Aunt Mira. Where does she go?
4. What happened to the cow?
5. What has happened to the Misras brothers' wives?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Tara think her father was trying to kill her mother?
2. Why does Tara fail so miserably in school?
3. How did Tara remember the incident when Bim was stung by bees?
4. Why is the episode with the cow so important to this novel?
5. What difference does Aunt Mira make in Baba's life?
6. On page 115, the children ask Mira why their parents play cards, and Mira thinks the answer is obvious. What do you think is the reason?
7. How was Mira treated by her dead husband's family?
8. Why does Bim resist everything Tara says and mocks Bakul's words?
9. In your opinion, has Bim always been this way and Tara never saw it, or has Bim changed over the years?
10. How did Bim remember the incident where she was stung by bees?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)