|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In this chapter, who is Tara attempting to write a letter to?
(b) Her daughters
(d) One of the Misras brothers
2. What does Tara decide to do after that conversation about Raja?
(a) Write a letter to Bim's school and share her concerns
(b) Watch her sister's behavior more closely
(c) Leave earlier than they had planned
(d) Call Raja and tell him what happened
3. As Tara gets older, she no longer seeks comfort from Aunt Mira. Where does she go?
(a) To the neighbors house to spend time with the Misras sisters
(b) She runs away from home with one of the Misras sisters
(c) To movies in town
(d) To Hyder Ali's house
4. While they are still children, what childish claim to fame does Raja have?
(a) He always cheats in order to win
(b) The sisters are never able to catch him in any game
(c) He is the only one able to count to 100 for hide and go seek
(d) He always wins at cards
5. When Bakul sees Bim at her desk the next morning and offers to help with speaking to Sharma, what is her reaction?
(a) Bim says she is going to sell the family shares to the business
(b) Bim asks him to speak to Sharma
(c) Bim thanks him for his concern
(d) Bim pretends there is no problem
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bakul deal with the atmosphere in Tara's family home during their stay?
2. How does Bim remember the incident?
3. What happens on one of these summer evenings that makes an impression on all of the children?
4. What happened to the cow?
5. What is Baba's reaction?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bim take out her rage on Baba?
2. How was Mira treated by her dead husband's family?
3. What is the symbolism the author is relaying when she describes childhood games where the sisters are never able to catch their older brother?
4. What is the symbolism of Tara's words to Bim pouring out of her quickly on the day of her departure?
5. Why does Tara want Bim and Baba to go to the wedding of Raja's daughter?
6. Describe Bim as Tara sees her in this chapter.
7. Why is Bakul so shocked when Bim says she has made a decision?
8. Describe the children's mother
9. What is the symbolism of Bim tearing up Raja's old letter concerning the rent?
10. In your opinion, has Bim always been this way and Tara never saw it, or has Bim changed over the years?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)