|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In this chapter, what does Tara apologize to Bim for?
(a) Marrying Baku when she knew Bim was in love with him
(b) Eating all the oranges
(c) Departing so soon after marriage and leaving Bim to care for Baba
(d) Cutting Bim's hair off
2. What is the one thing she could not do for Baba?
(a) She could not teach him to eat
(b) She could not teach him how to talk
(c) She could not teach him to dress himself
(d) She could not teach him to try new things
3. What did the boys say Tara looked like when her hair was cut off?
(a) A pigeon
(b) Roy Rogers
(c) A turtle
(d) A dog
4. What episode at school upset Tara's emotions so much she seem obsessed with one of the teachers?
(a) A female teacher falls in love with Tara
(b) Two of the teachers fall in love
(c) A teacher elopes with Sharma
(d) A female teacher was found to be having an affair with a local monk
5. In this chapter, who is Tara attempting to write a letter to?
(c) Her daughters
(d) One of the Misras brothers
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bim want to be when she was grown up?
2. When Tara is speaking to Bakul about her realizations about her sister, what is Bakul thinking about?
3. How does Bakul treat Tara?
4. In her mind, what does Bim compare Bakul and Tara, the Misras, Raja and his family to?
5. That night on the veranda, what does Tara become upset about and apologize for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism the author is relaying when she describes childhood games where the sisters are never able to catch their older brother?
2. On page 115, the children ask Mira why their parents play cards, and Mira thinks the answer is obvious. What do you think is the reason?
3. Describe the word games the children played to pass the time.
4. Describe Aunt Mira as she is in this chapter
5. How was Baba different?
6. In your opinion, has Bim always been this way and Tara never saw it, or has Bim changed over the years?
7. How does Tara see their childhood?
8. Describe the relationship between Bim and Raja.
9. Describe Bim as Tara sees her in this chapter.
10. Why is the episode with the cow so important to this novel?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)