|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Tara so shocked at Bim's descriptions of Raja and his family?
(a) Because Bim's descriptions are so loving an admiring, and Tara is concerned Bim is ini love with her own brother
(b) Because Bim uses obscene language in her descriptions
(c) Because they are so accurate
(d) Because Tara has visited Raja often and knows these descriptions are incorrect
2. What have the Misras sisters become?
(a) Corporate leaders
3. As Tara gets older, she no longer seeks comfort from Aunt Mira. Where does she go?
(a) She runs away from home with one of the Misras sisters
(b) To Hyder Ali's house
(c) To movies in town
(d) To the neighbors house to spend time with the Misras sisters
4. What does she say to Baba that upsets him?
(a) She is breaking all of his records
(b) She wants him to start going to the office every day
(c) She does not love him
(d) She is selling the family business and he must move in with Raja
5. What honor did Bim receive in school?
(a) Best athlete
(b) Most Improved Student
(c) Head girl
(d) Most accomplished reader
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bakul sees Bim at her desk the next morning and offers to help with speaking to Sharma, what is her reaction?
2. What does Tara decide to do after that conversation about Raja?
3. Alone in her room that afternoon, what does Bim realize?
4. What does Bim say about rich, fat and successful people?
5. What does Bim do that evening to help calm her mind?
Short Essay Questions
1. In your opinion, has Bim always been this way and Tara never saw it, or has Bim changed over the years?
2. Why is the episode with the cow so important to this novel?
3. How does Tara see Aunt Mira?
4. How does Bim see their childhood?
5. On page 115, the children ask Mira why their parents play cards, and Mira thinks the answer is obvious. What do you think is the reason?
6. How was Mira treated by her dead husband's family?
7. Why does Tara want Bim and Baba to go to the wedding of Raja's daughter?
8. Describe Raja in Bim's eyes until this chapter begins.
9. Why does Tara fail so miserably in school?
10. What is the symbolism the author is relaying when she describes childhood games where the sisters are never able to catch their older brother?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)