|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While they are still children, what childish claim to fame does Raja have?
(a) The sisters are never able to catch him in any game
(b) He is the only one able to count to 100 for hide and go seek
(c) He always wins at cards
(d) He always cheats in order to win
2. Alone in her room that afternoon, what does Bim realize?
(a) She resents her family
(b) She wants to leave home
(c) She loves her brothers and her sister more than anything, and she needs to forgive and make amends
(d) She really hates being a teacher
3. What does Tara decide to do after that conversation about Raja?
(a) Leave earlier than they had planned
(b) Call Raja and tell him what happened
(c) Watch her sister's behavior more closely
(d) Write a letter to Bim's school and share her concerns
4. What did Tara see her father do to her mother long ago?
(a) Slap her
(b) Yell at her
(c) Give her an injection for her diabetes
(d) Make love to her
5. What does Bim do that evening to help calm her mind?
(a) Calls Raja and talks for hours
(b) Reads her old favorite books
(c) Drinks wine
(d) Watches a favorite tv program
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tara think was happening?
2. Who is successful and popular at school?
3. How does Aunt Mira treat Baba?
4. What does Baba say?
5. At what age was Aunt Mira widowed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tara fail so miserably in school?
2. How does Tara see their childhood?
3. How did Tara remember the incident when Bim was stung by bees?
4. Why does the author use the episodes of the mad dog, the young teacher, and the bees to describe Tara's character?
5. Why does Bim take out her rage on Baba?
6. What is the symbolism of Bim tearing up Raja's old letter concerning the rent?
7. On page 115, the children ask Mira why their parents play cards, and Mira thinks the answer is obvious. What do you think is the reason?
8. What is the symbolism the author is relaying when she describes childhood games where the sisters are never able to catch their older brother?
9. Describe Bim as Tara sees her in this chapter.
10. Describe the children's mother
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)