|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What have the Misras sisters become?
(d) Corporate leaders
2. As a child, what was Tara always expecting?
(a) To be punished by her parents
(b) To be disappointed
(c) To find out she was adopted
(d) To find a treasure or become a princess
3. At lunch that day, what does Bim try to force Tara to eat?
(a) Very hot curry
(b) Red meat
(c) A rotten orange
(d) Orange peels
4. What papers does she decide to go through?
(a) Old drawings done by Baba
(b) Bakul's official papers
(c) Tara's private papers
(d) The ones in the bottom drawer of the desk
5. Tara tries to talk to one of the Misras sisters regarding her concerns about Bim. How does the Misras sister react?
(a) She says Bim is fine
(b) She offers to help Tara speak with her
(c) She offers to come live with Bim and help her
(d) She offers other examples of Bim's strange behavior
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tara is speaking to Bakul about her realizations about her sister, what is Bakul thinking about?
2. What happened to the cow?
3. What is Theosophy?
4. What happens on one of these summer evenings that makes an impression on all of the children?
5. Who was called to care for Baba when the mother grew tired of him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bim see their childhood?
2. On page 115, the children ask Mira why their parents play cards, and Mira thinks the answer is obvious. What do you think is the reason?
3. Why does Tara fail so miserably in school?
4. What difference does Aunt Mira make in Baba's life?
5. How does Tara see Aunt Mira?
6. Describe Raja in Bim's eyes until this chapter begins.
7. Why is the episode with the cow so important to this novel?
8. What is the symbolism the author is relaying when she describes childhood games where the sisters are never able to catch their older brother?
9. Describe the children's mother
10. Why does the author use the episodes of the mad dog, the young teacher, and the bees to describe Tara's character?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)