|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Raja's favorite hobby at this time?
(a) Watching cartoons
(b) Listening to records
(c) Reading adventure books and acting out the hero characters
(d) Stamp collecting
2. What happens on one of these summer evenings that makes an impression on all of the children?
(a) A group of soldiers march by
(b) They find a dead cow in the river
(c) The river floods and Baba nearly drowns
(d) Hyder Ali Sahib rides past them on his great white horse
3. What honor did Raja receive in school?
(a) One of his poems won a prize
(b) Quarterback for the football team
(c) Most Popular
(d) Member of the National Honor Society
4. What does she say to Baba that upsets him?
(a) She does not love him
(b) She wants him to start going to the office every day
(c) She is breaking all of his records
(d) She is selling the family business and he must move in with Raja
5. What has Bim worried in this chapter?
(a) Baba is ill
(b) Bim has just discovered she is pregnant
(c) Dr. Biswas is courting her again
(d) A letter from the family business partner, Sharma, has arrived and he wishes to speak to them
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bim do that evening to help calm her mind?
2. What sort of books does Tara read?
3. Who was sent to fetch them?
4. Why is Tara carrying a set of keys on a chain around her waist?
5. What disease did Aunt Mira nurse Bim and Raja through?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author use the episodes of the mad dog, the young teacher, and the bees to describe Tara's character?
2. Why is the episode with the cow so important to this novel?
3. On page 115, the children ask Mira why their parents play cards, and Mira thinks the answer is obvious. What do you think is the reason?
4. How was Mira treated by her dead husband's family?
5. How did Bim remember the incident where she was stung by bees?
6. Describe the relationship between Bim and Raja.
7. Why does Bim take out her rage on Baba?
8. How does Tara see their childhood?
9. How does Tara see Aunt Mira?
10. Why did Tara think her father was trying to kill her mother?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)