|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Baba say?
(a) "I hate you"
(b) "You are right, I should go"
(c) "Who is Raja?"
2. What did Raja want to be when he was grown up?
(a) A librarian
(b) A writer
(c) A Hero
(d) A soldier
3. How did the climate affect the children?
(a) They were active in sports
(b) They laid around the house or on the veranda, too hot to play anything but word games
(c) They were energized to do anything to keep warm
(d) They spent all their time out of doors riding their bikes
4. Why did Tara marry Bakul instead of going to college and furthering her education?
(a) She could not decide what courses to take
(b) She could not afford college
(c) Tara hated school
(d) She was pregnant
5. What has Bim worried in this chapter?
(a) A letter from the family business partner, Sharma, has arrived and he wishes to speak to them
(b) Dr. Biswas is courting her again
(c) Bim has just discovered she is pregnant
(d) Baba is ill
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Bakul and Tara meet?
2. After she speaks to Baba, who does Bim seek out to vent her anger?
3. When Tara is speaking to Bakul about her realizations about her sister, what is Bakul thinking about?
4. What does Tara decide to do after that conversation about Raja?
5. When was the last time that Bim has seen Raja?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolic about Tara holding Bim's hand on the day of their departure?
2. How was Baba different?
3. In your opinion, has Bim always been this way and Tara never saw it, or has Bim changed over the years?
4. What is the symbolism of Bim tearing up Raja's old letter concerning the rent?
5. Why is Bakul so shocked when Bim says she has made a decision?
6. How was Mira treated by her dead husband's family?
7. What is the symbolism of Tara's words to Bim pouring out of her quickly on the day of her departure?
8. On page 115, the children ask Mira why their parents play cards, and Mira thinks the answer is obvious. What do you think is the reason?
9. Describe Raja in Bim's eyes until this chapter begins.
10. How did Tara remember the incident when Bim was stung by bees?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)