|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bim treat Tara, even as an adult?
(a) Like a competitor or a rival
(b) With love and respect
(c) Like a close friend
(d) Like a younger, weaker sister who is there to be manipulated
2. Which of the children grew up to become exactly what they said they wanted to be as a child?
(a) Raja a hero
(b) Tara, becoming a mother
(c) Baba the insurance salesman
(d) Bim the teacher
3. Who is successful and popular at school?
(b) Bim and Raja
(c) Their mother
4. What has happened to the Misras brothers' wives?
(a) They have pursued careers in the foreign service and travel constantly
(b) They are still at the house, just away shopping
(c) They have passed away
(d) They have returned to their own families rather than deal with the men
5. What does she say to Baba that upsets him?
(a) She does not love him
(b) She is selling the family business and he must move in with Raja
(c) She wants him to start going to the office every day
(d) She is breaking all of his records
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Tara marry Bakul instead of going to college and furthering her education?
2. Who was sent to fetch them?
3. What sort of books does Tara read?
4. What does she do with the papers?
5. What happens on one of these summer evenings that makes an impression on all of the children?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bim as Tara sees her in this chapter.
2. How does Tara see their childhood?
3. How did Tara remember the incident when Bim was stung by bees?
4. Describe the relationship between Bim and Raja.
5. On page 115, the children ask Mira why their parents play cards, and Mira thinks the answer is obvious. What do you think is the reason?
6. Why does Bim take out her rage on Baba?
7. What is the symbolism the author is relaying when she describes childhood games where the sisters are never able to catch their older brother?
8. How does Bim see their childhood?
9. Why does Tara fail so miserably in school?
10. Why does Tara want Bim and Baba to go to the wedding of Raja's daughter?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)