|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At lunch that day, what does Bim try to force Tara to eat?
(a) Orange peels
(b) Red meat
(c) A rotten orange
(d) Very hot curry
2. Tara tries to talk to one of the Misras sisters regarding her concerns about Bim. How does the Misras sister react?
(a) She offers other examples of Bim's strange behavior
(b) She says Bim is fine
(c) She offers to help Tara speak with her
(d) She offers to come live with Bim and help her
3. What does Bim say when Bakul suggests she talk with Raja before selling?
(a) Who is Raja?
(b) That Raja would not care
(c) I will call him this afternoon
(d) I agree, I will consult him, you and Baba before making a decision.
4. Why does Aunt Mira ask the chidren's parents for a cow?
(a) The milk they had been getting delivered was watered down
(b) She wanted to murder a cow
(c) She wants a pet
(d) It was cheaper than buying from the grocery store
5. What is Bakul's solution to Tara's problems with Bim?
(a) To have Bim committed to an institution
(b) To forget about it
(c) To take Bim shopping for new clothes
(d) To encourage Bim and Raja to meet and talk
Short Answer Questions
1. As a child, what was Tara always expecting?
2. What does Tara decide to do after that conversation about Raja?
3. What does she say to Baba that upsets him?
4. Whose letter does Tara read to Bim?
5. What honor did Raja receive in school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Bim remember the incident where she was stung by bees?
2. On page 115, the children ask Mira why their parents play cards, and Mira thinks the answer is obvious. What do you think is the reason?
3. Why did Tara think her father was trying to kill her mother?
4. What is the symbolism the author is relaying when she describes childhood games where the sisters are never able to catch their older brother?
5. How does Tara see their childhood?
6. How does Tara see Aunt Mira?
7. Why is Bakul so shocked when Bim says she has made a decision?
8. Why does Tara want Bim and Baba to go to the wedding of Raja's daughter?
9. What is the symbolism of Tara's words to Bim pouring out of her quickly on the day of her departure?
10. What is the symbolism of Bim tearing up Raja's old letter concerning the rent?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)