|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the difference in religion between Raja and Hyder Ali?
(a) Raja is Hindu, Hyder Ali is Muslim
(b) Raja is Hindu, Hyder Ali was Catholic
(c) Raja is Hindu, Ali is an atheist
(d) Raja is Catholic, Ali is Muslim
2. What happens when Raja's friends at Hindu College find out he believes the idea of Pakistan is feasible?
(a) They change their opinion and view to his
(b) They try to kill him
(c) They write letters to the newspaper in protest
(d) They become his enemies
3. Where has Bakul been posted when he comes to ask Bim for permission to marry Tara?
(c) United States
4. What happens to the mother?
(a) She runs off with the chauffeur
(b) She grows old and Bim must care for her
(c) She dies without the children ever seeing her again
(d) She divorces the father
5. When Tara speaks of being young again, what is Bim's reaction?
(a) Bim says she doesn't remember much about her childhood
(b) Bim says she would love to be a child again
(c) Bim says she envies Tara's childhood more than her own
(d) Bim remarks she would never be young again for anything
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Hyder Ali's household members?
2. Who does Dr. Biswas admire above all others?
3. What do the children call their father?
4. How did Raja meet Hyder Ali?
5. What helps Raja to begin to get better?
Short Essay Questions
1. What resulted from Raja's admiration of Hyder Ali Sahid?
2. Why does Raja refuse to take over the family business?
3. How is Old Delhi different from New Delhi? Re-read the parts describing the city and note the words the author uses. Do the words create a sense of place?
4. Why does Raja choose Hindu College over his original choice?
5. Why is Raja so upset about the whereabouts of the family of Hyder Ali Sahid?
6. Why are Muslims no longer safe in India? What has caused this problem?
7. What is the importance in the plot of the Misras brother, Mulk, and his drunkeness
8. Why do you think the children's parents are at the club playing bridge every night?
9. How does Bim feel about her youth? Why do you think she feels that way?
10. Why does the tea party with Dr. Biswas, his mother and Bim go badly?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)