|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Raja's father refuse to sign for Raja to attend his chosen college?
(a) The college Raja wants is not the father's alma mater
(b) The college he wants specializes in Islamic studies
(c) The college Raja wants is too expensive
(d) The father is jealous of the closeness between Hyder Ali and Raja
2. What does Bim compare her cat to?
(a) Tara's daughters
(b) Their mother
3. Who is asleep on the veranda when Bakul, Bim and Tara return home?
(a) Aunt Mira
(b) The jet-black cat
(c) The pet dog
4. What was the difference in religion between Raja and Hyder Ali?
(a) Raja is Hindu, Ali is an atheist
(b) Raja is Hindu, Hyder Ali is Muslim
(c) Raja is Catholic, Ali is Muslim
(d) Raja is Hindu, Hyder Ali was Catholic
5. What language does Raja admire the most?
Short Answer Questions
1. What family pet is rescued from the tree in the garden?
2. Where does Bim go with the Doctor?
3. What is Tara's reaction to Bim's behavior regarding the letter?
4. What happened to Hyder Ali's household members?
5. What are the names of the people everyone is talking about that summer, according to this novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dr. Biswas feel a sense of failure after talking to Bim about Raja's tuberculosis?
2. Why are Muslims no longer safe in India? What has caused this problem?
3. What resulted from Raja's admiration of Hyder Ali Sahid?
4. Why does Bim begin to respond to Dr. Biswas and his invitations to take her out?
5. How is Old Delhi different from New Delhi? Re-read the parts describing the city and note the words the author uses. Do the words create a sense of place?
6. Describe the way Bim speaks to Tara, to Bakul and to Baba.
7. What is symbolic about the father's car that was left in the garage after his death?
8. Describe the family home and the feeling you get about it.
9. What is Tara's purpose in coming to the family home?
10. Describe Aunt Mira's behavior in this chapter.
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)