Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often do Bakul and Tara visit Bim and Baba?
(a) Every three to five years
(b) Every summer
2. What surrounds Tara's family home and those of her neighbors?
(a) Gardens full of plants and birds
(b) Poverty and sickness
(c) A lake
(d) Dry parched desert
3. The sisters remember playing in the sand and along the banks of what nearby river?
4. What do the children call their father?
(b) The one who loves us
(c) The master of the entrance and the exit
5. What happened to their mother after twenty years of spending her evenings at the club?
(a) She found another man
(b) She decided she no longer wanted to play bridge
(c) She missed an evening and slipped into a coma
(d) She decided to spend the evening playing cards with her children
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tara speaks of being young again, what is Bim's reaction?
2. Why did her father give her mother injections?
3. What does Bim claim they do not have enough of for Bakul, yet she pours it generously for the cat and for Baba?
4. Where does Tara remember going for escape from the neglect of her parents?
5. Where does Bakul think he and Tara should have stayed instead of at her family home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Raja refuse to take over the family business?
2. How does Tara feel about her youth? What makes her feel that way?
3. How does Tara see their childhood?
4. Why does Bim resist everything Tara says and mocks Bakul's words?
5. Why does Bim show the letter from Raja to Tara?
6. What is the symbolism of Bim tearing up Raja's old letter concerning the rent?
7. Why is Tara so disturbed by Bim's remarks on the lawn with Bakul and the Misras?
8. Why does the author use the episodes of the mad dog, the young teacher, and the bees to describe Tara's character?
9. How was Baba different?
10. How did Tara remember the incident when Bim was stung by bees?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)