|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the children call their father?
(a) The master of the entrance and the exit
(d) The one who loves us
2. What does Bakul say to Tara when she decides to stay with her family that morning instead of going with him to New Delhi?
(a) She deserves time with her family after spending so much time taking care of his needs
(b) He wants a divorce
(c) She has gone back to being the hopeless person she was before he married her
(d) She has made a wise decision that he agrees with
3. What happens to the mother?
(a) She dies without the children ever seeing her again
(b) She grows old and Bim must care for her
(c) She divorces the father
(d) She runs off with the chauffeur
4. Why can't they visit more often?
(a) Bakul cannot drive
(b) Their daughters do not like Bim or Baba
(c) Tara is afraid of travelling
(d) Bakul is in foreign service and stationed in many different cities in the world
5. What kind of business did the Misras brothers have and lose?
(a) Ice factory and soda water business
(b) Car washing
(c) Auto repair shop
(d) Bar and Grill
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the richness of Hyder Ali's home compare to Raja's home?
2. What illness does Raja get that summer?
3. How does Bim react to his interest?
4. What does Dr. Biswas recommend as treatment for Aunt Mira?
5. Where has Bakul been posted when he comes to ask Bim for permission to marry Tara?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tara feel about her youth? What makes her feel that way?
2. Why is Bim's conversation with the elder Misras important to the plot?
3. Describe Aunt Mira's behavior in this chapter.
4. What is the difference between the languages of Urdu and Hindi?
5. What resulted from Raja's admiration of Hyder Ali Sahid?
6. How does Bim feel about her youth? Why do you think she feels that way?
7. What is Tara's purpose in coming to the family home?
8. Why do the children think of their father as the master of the entrance and the exit?
9. How does Bim describe time? What do you think she means by this?
10. Why does Raja choose Hindu College over his original choice?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)