|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disrupts the neighborhood gathering?
(a) Mulk, one of the brothers, gets drunk and abusive
(b) Bakul gets angry and leaves
(c) Curfew bells sound
(d) The city fires are getting dangerously close
2. Where is Tara spending all of her time?
(a) On the rose path
(b) Under Aunt Mira's bed
(c) At the home of Hyder Ali
(d) At the home of the Misras sisters
3. What does Bakul tell people who ask detrimental questions about India?
(a) No comment
(b) I don't know the answer
(c) I will check for you and find out
(d) Mind your own business
4. Who does Raja share his knowledge and dreams with in the family?
(b) The jet-black cat
5. What does Bakul say to Tara when she decides to stay with her family that morning instead of going with him to New Delhi?
(a) She deserves time with her family after spending so much time taking care of his needs
(b) She has gone back to being the hopeless person she was before he married her
(c) She has made a wise decision that he agrees with
(d) He wants a divorce
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bim think of his statement?
2. How does Bim recover from grieving for Aunt Mira
3. Why does Raja's father refuse to sign for Raja to attend his chosen college?
4. How does Tara, in this chapter, remember her parents?
5. Where does Raja say he will go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Bim sees her brother's poems now.
2. Why does Raja refuse to take over the family business?
3. Why do you think Bim believes she is seeing Aunt Mira's ghost in the garden?
4. Why does Tara begin to spend time with the Misras sisters?
5. Why does so much responsibility fall to Bim?
6. How does Bim describe time? What do you think she means by this?
7. Why does Raja choose Hindu College over his original choice?
8. Why does Dr. Biswas feel a sense of failure after talking to Bim about Raja's tuberculosis?
9. Why is Bim's conversation with the elder Misras important to the plot?
10. Why do the children think of their father as the master of the entrance and the exit?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)