|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bim react to his interest?
(a) She ignores him
(b) She falls in love
(c) She begins stalking him
(d) She moves away
2. What do the children call their father?
(a) The master of the entrance and the exit
(c) The one who loves us
3. Who does Raja suggest to take over the family business?
(c) Aunt Mira
(d) Dr. Biswas
4. When Raja gets older, what other activity does he get involved in at Hyder Ali's home?
(a) He chews betel leaves with the servants
(b) He begins embroidery with the women
(c) He begins to do all the cooking for the family
(d) He joins the circle of older men on the lawn, partaking in discussions
5. What goes wrong with Dr. Biswas and Bim?
(a) His mother does not like her, and Bim does not really like him
(b) Dr. Biswas is of a different religion
(c) Bim's father disapproves of Dr. Biswas
(d) There is too great an age difference
Short Answer Questions
1. What childhood event do the Misras sisters remind Tara of that night?
2. What family pet is rescued from the tree in the garden?
3. Where has Bakul been posted when he comes to ask Bim for permission to marry Tara?
4. What overcomes Tara when she is at her family home?
5. Where does Baba get the gramophone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the basic differences between Tara and Bim? Examine their appearance, their attitudes, their sense of family.
2. How does Bim feel about her youth? Why do you think she feels that way?
3. How does Bim describe time? What do you think she means by this?
4. Describe the family home and the feeling you get about it.
5. Why does the tea party with Dr. Biswas, his mother and Bim go badly?
6. Why does Raja choose Hindu College over his original choice?
7. Describe Bakul's appearance and behavior, and discuss his attitude towards his work and towards his wife.
8. Why is Bim's conversation with the elder Misras important to the plot?
9. Why do you think the children's parents are at the club playing bridge every night?
10. How is Old Delhi different from New Delhi? Re-read the parts describing the city and note the words the author uses. Do the words create a sense of place?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)