|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is sitting on the veranda while Raja departs the family home?
(a) Bim alone
(b) Bim, Baba and the dog Begum
(c) Tara, Begum the dog, and Aunt Mira
(d) Aunt Mira, Tara, and Bakul
2. What do the children call their father?
(a) The one who loves us
(b) The master of the entrance and the exit
3. When Raja gets older, what other activity does he get involved in at Hyder Ali's home?
(a) He joins the circle of older men on the lawn, partaking in discussions
(b) He begins to do all the cooking for the family
(c) He begins embroidery with the women
(d) He chews betel leaves with the servants
4. Why are the Misras sisters still living at the family home?
(a) They have a home based internet business
(b) Their husbands have abandoned them
(c) They want to be with their brothers
(d) They were wounded in the war
5. Bakul is waiting for them on the veranda. What music greets the sisters when they join Bakul?
(a) Aunt Mira playing the flute
(b) Bakul's transister radio
(c) Baba's old 78 records
(d) Country music from the Misras home
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bim give Baba by way of apology for driving him out of the house that morning?
2. What language does Raja admire the most?
3. What does Tara ask Bim to do?
4. Where has Bakul been posted when he comes to ask Bim for permission to marry Tara?
5. Why are the Misras brothers still living alone at their family home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Bim sees her brother's poems now.
2. How does Bim feel about her youth? Why do you think she feels that way?
3. Why do you think Bim believes she is seeing Aunt Mira's ghost in the garden?
4. Why are Muslims no longer safe in India? What has caused this problem?
5. Why do the children think of their father as the master of the entrance and the exit?
6. Describe Bim as an adult woman, including her attitude towards her family members as well as her appearance.
7. What are some of the basic differences between Tara and Bim? Examine their appearance, their attitudes, their sense of family.
8. How is Old Delhi different from New Delhi? Re-read the parts describing the city and note the words the author uses. Do the words create a sense of place?
9. Why is Raja so upset about the whereabouts of the family of Hyder Ali Sahid?
10. Why is Bim's conversation with the elder Misras important to the plot?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)