|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Raja say as he is leaving for Hyderabad?
(a) That he knows his true love is Bim but he cannot have her
(b) That he will never come back
(c) That he wants Bim to send his books to him there
(d) That he will return to care for Bim and Baba
2. What does Tara say she wants to be when she grows up?
(a) A teacher
(b) A card player
(c) A caregiver
(d) A mother
3. What does Dr. Biswas recommend as treatment for Aunt Mira?
(a) Put her in a home
(b) Give her alcohol
(c) Counseling, and AA meetings
(d) Have her killed
4. When Bim and Baba return from Hyder Ali Sahib's house, what has happened?
(a) Aunt Mira has lost her mind and is running through the garden naked
(b) All of the roses have died
(c) Tara has run off with Bakul
(d) The cow has drowned in the garden
5. What does Bim return with from Hyder Ali Sahib's house?
(a) Books, a dog and a car
(b) A dog, a servant, and the gramophone
(c) Furniture, money and some letters
(d) A dog, a cat, and some food
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Baba refuse the new 78 records that Tara found for him?
2. What does Bim pull out of the desk to show to Tara that night?
3. What does Bim attempt to do when she joins the others in the garden area and begins talking?
4. What happens when Raja's friends at Hindu College find out he believes the idea of Pakistan is feasible?
5. What disrupts the neighborhood gathering?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolic about Tara holding Bim's hand on the day of their departure?
2. Why do you think the children's parents are at the club playing bridge every night?
3. Why does the author use the episodes of the mad dog, the young teacher, and the bees to describe Tara's character?
4. How was Baba different?
5. Describe the family home and the feeling you get about it.
6. Describe Bakul's appearance and behavior, and discuss his attitude towards his work and towards his wife.
7. What is Tara's purpose in coming to the family home?
8. Why do the children think of their father as the master of the entrance and the exit?
9. What is the symbolism the author is relaying when she describes childhood games where the sisters are never able to catch their older brother?
10. Why are Muslims no longer safe in India? What has caused this problem?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)