|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who begins to show interest in Bim?
(b) Dr. Biswas
(c) A Buddhist monk
(d) One of her students
2. When Bim and Baba return from Hyder Ali Sahib's house, what has happened?
(a) Tara has run off with Bakul
(b) The cow has drowned in the garden
(c) Aunt Mira has lost her mind and is running through the garden naked
(d) All of the roses have died
3. What talent did their brother Raja have that developed into a career for him?
(a) He wrote poetry
(b) He sang rock and roll
(c) He was a great cook
(d) He drove race cars
4. What language does Raja admire the most?
5. What disrupts the neighborhood gathering?
(a) Mulk, one of the brothers, gets drunk and abusive
(b) The city fires are getting dangerously close
(c) Curfew bells sound
(d) Bakul gets angry and leaves
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is sitting on the veranda while Raja departs the family home?
2. What does Bim attempt to do when she joins the others in the garden area and begins talking?
3. How does this family dispose of the dead?
4. What overcomes Tara when she is at her family home?
5. Who does Raja share his knowledge and dreams with in the family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bim's conversation with the elder Misras important to the plot?
2. Why does Bim show the letter from Raja to Tara?
3. Why do the children think of their father as the master of the entrance and the exit?
4. Why does Tara begin to spend time with the Misras sisters?
5. Why does Raja choose Hindu College over his original choice?
6. Describe Aunt Mira's behavior in this chapter.
7. Why does so much responsibility fall to Bim?
8. Describe how Bim sees her brother's poems now.
9. What is Tara's purpose in coming to the family home?
10. How does Bim describe time? What do you think she means by this?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)