|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did her father give her mother injections?
(a) He was slowly poisoning her
(b) Her mother was a drug addict
(c) Her mother had t.b.
(d) Her mother had diabetes
2. What does Bim give Baba by way of apology for driving him out of the house that morning?
(a) An ice cream cone
(b) A cigar
(c) A new car
(d) A new record
3. What is Bim's answer when Raja says he wants to grow up to be a hero?
(a) She wants to be a sky diver
(b) She wants to be a veterinarian
(c) She says she wants to grow up to be a heroine
(d) She wants to be a playwright
4. Whose ghost does Bim claim to have seen in the garden?
(a) Their father
(b) Their mother
(c) Aunt Mira
(d) The cow
5. Why can't they visit more often?
(a) Bakul cannot drive
(b) Tara is afraid of travelling
(c) Bakul is in foreign service and stationed in many different cities in the world
(d) Their daughters do not like Bim or Baba
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Biswas recommend as treatment for Aunt Mira?
2. What sort of birds begin their calls before daylight around the family's home?
3. What disrupts the neighborhood gathering?
4. When Raja gets older, what other activity does he get involved in at Hyder Ali's home?
5. What family pet joins the sisters in the garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bim resist everything Tara says and mocks Bakul's words?
2. Describe the family home and the feeling you get about it.
3. Why is Bim's conversation with the elder Misras important to the plot?
4. Describe the word games the children played to pass the time.
5. What is symbolic about the father's car that was left in the garage after his death?
6. Describe how Bim sees her brother's poems now.
7. Describe Bakul's appearance and behavior, and discuss his attitude towards his work and towards his wife.
8. Describe Aunt Mira's behavior in this chapter.
9. How is Old Delhi different from New Delhi? Re-read the parts describing the city and note the words the author uses. Do the words create a sense of place?
10. Describe the relationship between Bim and Raja.
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)