|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Raja say as he is leaving for Hyderabad?
(a) That he wants Bim to send his books to him there
(b) That he will return to care for Bim and Baba
(c) That he will never come back
(d) That he knows his true love is Bim but he cannot have her
2. What family pet is rescued from the tree in the garden?
(a) Rex the camel
(b) The parrot
(c) Bim's cat
(d) Baba's gecko
3. Why does Raja's father refuse to sign for Raja to attend his chosen college?
(a) The college Raja wants is too expensive
(b) The college he wants specializes in Islamic studies
(c) The college Raja wants is not the father's alma mater
(d) The father is jealous of the closeness between Hyder Ali and Raja
4. What instrument does Dr. Biswas play?
5. What was the difference in religion between Raja and Hyder Ali?
(a) Raja is Catholic, Ali is Muslim
(b) Raja is Hindu, Hyder Ali is Muslim
(c) Raja is Hindu, Hyder Ali was Catholic
(d) Raja is Hindu, Ali is an atheist
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mulk accuse his sisters of doing to him?
2. Whose ghost does Bim claim to have seen in the garden?
3. What happened to the father?
4. Who begins to show interest in Bim?
5. How often do Bakul and Tara visit Bim and Baba?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the way Bim speaks to Tara, to Bakul and to Baba.
2. Describe Bim as an adult woman, including her attitude towards her family members as well as her appearance.
3. What are some of the basic differences between Tara and Bim? Examine their appearance, their attitudes, their sense of family.
4. Why does Dr. Biswas feel a sense of failure after talking to Bim about Raja's tuberculosis?
5. Why do you think Bim believes she is seeing Aunt Mira's ghost in the garden?
6. Why does Raja choose Hindu College over his original choice?
7. What is the difference between the languages of Urdu and Hindi?
8. Why does Bim begin to respond to Dr. Biswas and his invitations to take her out?
9. Describe how Bim sees her brother's poems now.
10. What is Tara's purpose in coming to the family home?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)