|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Baba do that surprises everyone?
(a) He begins speaking Spanish
(b) He announces his upcoming marriage
(c) He leaves the house
(d) He asks for pancakes for breakfast
2. What childhood event do the Misras sisters remind Tara of that night?
(a) When the mad dog was shot at school
(b) When their parents died
(c) When the children first see Hyder Ali Sahib
(d) When the bees attacked Bim
3. Who does Raja suggest to take over the family business?
(b) Aunt Mira
(d) Dr. Biswas
4. What is wrong with Aunt Mira?
(a) She is in love with the gardner
(b) She has diabetes
(c) She is slowly going mad and drinking
(d) She has tuberculosis
5. Why does Raja's father refuse to sign for Raja to attend his chosen college?
(a) The college he wants specializes in Islamic studies
(b) The college Raja wants is too expensive
(c) The father is jealous of the closeness between Hyder Ali and Raja
(d) The college Raja wants is not the father's alma mater
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dr. Biswas think Bim is not interested in his courtship?
2. What does Bim return with from Hyder Ali Sahib's house?
3. What world event occurred that year that made such a difference in the lives of the four children?
4. What poet does Bim read to Raja to make him calm down?
5. What does Tara ask Bim to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Bim believes she is seeing Aunt Mira's ghost in the garden?
2. How does Bim describe time? What do you think she means by this?
3. What is Tara's purpose in coming to the family home?
4. What are some of the basic differences between Tara and Bim? Examine their appearance, their attitudes, their sense of family.
5. Why does Bim show the letter from Raja to Tara?
6. Why does Bim begin to respond to Dr. Biswas and his invitations to take her out?
7. What resulted from Raja's admiration of Hyder Ali Sahid?
8. Why are Muslims no longer safe in India? What has caused this problem?
9. Why does Raja leave Bim alone to care for Baba?
10. Why does Tara begin to spend time with the Misras sisters?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)