|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What helps Raja to begin to get better?
(a) He falls in love with one of the Misras sisters
(b) A new medicine brought by Dr. Biswas
(c) A letter from Hyder Ali Sahib and his daughter Benazir
(d) Winter arrives and it is cooler
2. Who does Dr. Biswas admire above all others?
(c) Elvis Presley
3. Who does Tara think Bim looks like?
(a) Their mother
(b) Aunt Mira
(c) One of the Misras sisters
4. Where does Raja say he will go?
(a) To America and start a new life
(b) To live with Bakul and Tara
(c) To Hyderabad to live with the family of Hyder Ali Sahib
(d) To New Delhi and get an apartment
5. Why did her father give her mother injections?
(a) Her mother had diabetes
(b) Her mother had t.b.
(c) He was slowly poisoning her
(d) Her mother was a drug addict
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bim compare her cat to?
2. Why does Raja's father refuse to sign for Raja to attend his chosen college?
3. What is the first discussion the sisters have that shows how different they are from each other?
4. What do Bim and the old man discuss?
5. When Bim and Baba return from Hyder Ali Sahib's house, what has happened?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bakul's appearance and behavior, and discuss his attitude towards his work and towards his wife.
2. How is Old Delhi different from New Delhi? Re-read the parts describing the city and note the words the author uses. Do the words create a sense of place?
3. What resulted from Raja's admiration of Hyder Ali Sahid?
4. How does Tara feel about her youth? What makes her feel that way?
5. Describe the family home and the feeling you get about it.
6. Describe Aunt Mira's behavior in this chapter.
7. Why does Tara begin to spend time with the Misras sisters?
8. Describe the way Bim speaks to Tara, to Bakul and to Baba.
9. Why do you think Bim believes she is seeing Aunt Mira's ghost in the garden?
10. How does Bim describe time? What do you think she means by this?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)