|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bim return with from Hyder Ali Sahib's house?
(a) Books, a dog and a car
(b) Furniture, money and some letters
(c) A dog, a servant, and the gramophone
(d) A dog, a cat, and some food
2. Why are the Misras sisters still living at the family home?
(a) They want to be with their brothers
(b) They have a home based internet business
(c) Their husbands have abandoned them
(d) They were wounded in the war
3. What sort of birds begin their calls before daylight around the family's home?
4. What does Bakul tell people who ask detrimental questions about India?
(a) No comment
(b) I will check for you and find out
(c) Mind your own business
(d) I don't know the answer
5. Bakul is waiting for them on the veranda. What music greets the sisters when they join Bakul?
(a) Aunt Mira playing the flute
(b) Bakul's transister radio
(c) Country music from the Misras home
(d) Baba's old 78 records
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does Raja admire the most?
2. Who does Raja suggest to take over the family business?
3. Who did their brother Raja admire above all?
4. Why can't they visit more often?
5. What happens to the mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Muslims no longer safe in India? What has caused this problem?
2. Why does Raja choose Hindu College over his original choice?
3. Why is Raja so upset about the whereabouts of the family of Hyder Ali Sahid?
4. Why do you think Bim believes she is seeing Aunt Mira's ghost in the garden?
5. Describe the way Bim speaks to Tara, to Bakul and to Baba.
6. Describe Bim as an adult woman, including her attitude towards her family members as well as her appearance.
7. Describe the family home and the feeling you get about it.
8. What is Tara's purpose in coming to the family home?
9. How does Bim feel about her youth? Why do you think she feels that way?
10. Why do the children think of their father as the master of the entrance and the exit?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)