|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What world event occurred that year that made such a difference in the lives of the four children?
(a) Independence for India and Pakistan
(b) Queen Victoria of England dies
(c) Vietnam War ends
(d) World War II begins
2. What do the children call their father?
(a) The master of the entrance and the exit
(b) The one who loves us
3. What does Mulk accuse his sisters of doing to him?
(a) Kidnapping his children
(b) Running off his wife
(c) Running off his musicians and denying him money
(d) Stealing his musical instruments
4. What sort of birds begin their calls before daylight around the family's home?
5. Why did Baba refuse the new 78 records that Tara found for him?
(a) He already has those copies
(b) He is no longer using the gramophone
(c) He does not like Tara
(d) He only likes the ones he has already
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it so strange for Bim to ask Baba if he is going to the office that morning?
2. The sisters remember playing in the sand and along the banks of what nearby river?
3. Where does Baba get the gramophone?
4. What childhood event do the Misras sisters remind Tara of that night?
5. What helps Raja to begin to get better?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the family home and the feeling you get about it.
2. What is the importance in the plot of the Misras brother, Mulk, and his drunkeness
3. What is symbolic about the father's car that was left in the garage after his death?
4. Why does so much responsibility fall to Bim?
5. Why is Raja so upset about the whereabouts of the family of Hyder Ali Sahid?
6. Why does Bim begin to respond to Dr. Biswas and his invitations to take her out?
7. Why is Bim's conversation with the elder Misras important to the plot?
8. What resulted from Raja's admiration of Hyder Ali Sahid?
9. Why does Dr. Biswas feel a sense of failure after talking to Bim about Raja's tuberculosis?
10. Why does Raja refuse to take over the family business?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)