|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does this family dispose of the dead?
(a) Burial at sea
(b) Burial in a plot in the back yard
(c) Burial in an expensive crypt
2. What happened to Hyder Ali's household members?
(a) They fled to America
(b) They escaped to Hyderabad
(c) They were all killed in the riots
(d) They were imprisoned
3. Where does Baba get the gramophone?
(a) From Sears
(b) He steals it from the Misras sisters
(c) From the empty house of Hyder Ali
(d) He finds it in the dumpster
4. What does Dr. Biswas say is wrong with Bim?
(a) She is getting gray
(b) She is caring for too many sick people
(c) She is getting fat
(d) She is conceited
5. How often do Bakul and Tara visit Bim and Baba?
(b) Every summer
(c) Every three to five years
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bim attempt to do when she joins the others in the garden area and begins talking?
2. What happens when Raja's friends at Hindu College find out he believes the idea of Pakistan is feasible?
3. What was the difference in religion between Raja and Hyder Ali?
4. What instrument does Dr. Biswas play?
5. What sort of birds begin their calls before daylight around the family's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dr. Biswas feel a sense of failure after talking to Bim about Raja's tuberculosis?
2. What is symbolic about the father's car that was left in the garage after his death?
3. What is Tara's purpose in coming to the family home?
4. What are some of the basic differences between Tara and Bim? Examine their appearance, their attitudes, their sense of family.
5. Why do you think the children's parents are at the club playing bridge every night?
6. Why does Raja leave Bim alone to care for Baba?
7. Why does Bim show the letter from Raja to Tara?
8. Why do the children think of their father as the master of the entrance and the exit?
9. Why does so much responsibility fall to Bim?
10. Why is Bim's conversation with the elder Misras important to the plot?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)