|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Hyder Ali's household members?
(a) They were imprisoned
(b) They fled to America
(c) They were all killed in the riots
(d) They escaped to Hyderabad
2. What is Tara's reaction to Bim's behavior regarding the letter?
(a) Tara agrees that Raja is evil
(b) Tara is shocked and tries to convince Bim that Raja is not a bad man
(c) Tara decides to show the letter to Bakul to intercede on Bim's behalf
(d) Tara is too busy looking at her fingernails to listen
3. Who does Dr. Biswas admire above all others?
(a) Elvis Presley
4. Who does Raja share his knowledge and dreams with in the family?
(a) The jet-black cat
5. What family pet is rescued from the tree in the garden?
(a) Baba's gecko
(b) The parrot
(c) Bim's cat
(d) Rex the camel
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of birds begin their calls before daylight around the family's home?
2. Why is it so strange for Bim to ask Baba if he is going to the office that morning?
3. How does this family dispose of the dead?
4. What is the first discussion the sisters have that shows how different they are from each other?
5. Who begins to show interest in Bim?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bim describe time? What do you think she means by this?
2. Why does so much responsibility fall to Bim?
3. What is symbolic about the father's car that was left in the garage after his death?
4. Why does Raja refuse to take over the family business?
5. Why do the children think of their father as the master of the entrance and the exit?
6. Why is Tara so disturbed by Bim's remarks on the lawn with Bakul and the Misras?
7. What is Tara's purpose in coming to the family home?
8. Why does Dr. Biswas feel a sense of failure after talking to Bim about Raja's tuberculosis?
9. Describe how Bim sees her brother's poems now.
10. Describe Bim as an adult woman, including her attitude towards her family members as well as her appearance.
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)