|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Raja say as he is leaving for Hyderabad?
(a) That he will never come back
(b) That he will return to care for Bim and Baba
(c) That he wants Bim to send his books to him there
(d) That he knows his true love is Bim but he cannot have her
2. When Tara speaks of being young again, what is Bim's reaction?
(a) Bim says she would love to be a child again
(b) Bim says she envies Tara's childhood more than her own
(c) Bim remarks she would never be young again for anything
(d) Bim says she doesn't remember much about her childhood
3. What skill do Raja and Bim possess and use throughout their childhood that Tara does not possess?
(a) Ability to memorize and recite
(b) Ability to read
(c) Ability to write
(d) Ability to speak another language
4. Where does Baba get the gramophone?
(a) From Sears
(b) From the empty house of Hyder Ali
(c) He finds it in the dumpster
(d) He steals it from the Misras sisters
5. What does Bakul tell people who ask detrimental questions about India?
(a) I don't know the answer
(b) No comment
(c) I will check for you and find out
(d) Mind your own business
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness does Raja get that summer?
2. Why did Baba refuse the new 78 records that Tara found for him?
3. What goes wrong with Dr. Biswas and Bim?
4. What does Bim attempt to do when she joins the others in the garden area and begins talking?
5. What do Bim and the old man discuss?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between the languages of Urdu and Hindi?
2. How does Bim describe time? What do you think she means by this?
3. What is symbolic about the father's car that was left in the garage after his death?
4. Why does Bim show the letter from Raja to Tara?
5. Why does Dr. Biswas feel a sense of failure after talking to Bim about Raja's tuberculosis?
6. Why does Tara begin to spend time with the Misras sisters?
7. Describe Bim as an adult woman, including her attitude towards her family members as well as her appearance.
8. Describe Aunt Mira's behavior in this chapter.
9. Why do the children think of their father as the master of the entrance and the exit?
10. Why does Raja choose Hindu College over his original choice?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)