|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it so strange for Bim to ask Baba if he is going to the office that morning?
(a) He is mentally retarded and never goes to the office
(b) He has already mentioned going to the track that morning
(c) Bim usually does not speak to Baba in the morning
(d) He is usually off on Tuesdays
2. When Raja gets older, what other activity does he get involved in at Hyder Ali's home?
(a) He joins the circle of older men on the lawn, partaking in discussions
(b) He chews betel leaves with the servants
(c) He begins embroidery with the women
(d) He begins to do all the cooking for the family
3. How do Bim's students describe Old Delhi?
(a) The place where they wish to live forever
(b) As a great cemetery, with every house a tomb
(c) A vibrant city representing progress
(d) A bustling business center
4. Where does Baba get the gramophone?
(a) He finds it in the dumpster
(b) From the empty house of Hyder Ali
(c) He steals it from the Misras sisters
(d) From Sears
5. Who does Bimla think of when she hears that Gandhi has been killed?
(a) Dr. Biswas
(d) Mrs. Gandhi
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes care of Raja?
2. What are the names of the people everyone is talking about that summer, according to this novel?
3. How does the richness of Hyder Ali's home compare to Raja's home?
4. What kind of business did the Misras brothers have and lose?
5. What color horse does Hyder Ali ride along the banks of the Jumna River
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tara feel about her youth? What makes her feel that way?
2. Describe how Bim sees her brother's poems now.
3. Why does the author use the episodes of the mad dog, the young teacher, and the bees to describe Tara's character?
4. Describe the children's mother
5. Describe Raja in Bim's eyes until this chapter begins.
6. How does Bim see their childhood?
7. Describe Aunt Mira as she is in this chapter
8. How was Mira treated by her dead husband's family?
9. Describe Aunt Mira's behavior in this chapter.
10. What is the symbolism the author is relaying when she describes childhood games where the sisters are never able to catch their older brother?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)