|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tara's reaction to Bim's behavior regarding the letter?
(a) Tara agrees that Raja is evil
(b) Tara decides to show the letter to Bakul to intercede on Bim's behalf
(c) Tara is too busy looking at her fingernails to listen
(d) Tara is shocked and tries to convince Bim that Raja is not a bad man
2. What instrument does Dr. Biswas play?
3. What is the first discussion the sisters have that shows how different they are from each other?
(a) What is for breakfast
(b) What is today's weather forecast
(c) Growing up and things changing from when they were children
(d) When is Raja arriving
4. What skill do Raja and Bim possess and use throughout their childhood that Tara does not possess?
(a) Ability to speak another language
(b) Ability to memorize and recite
(c) Ability to read
(d) Ability to write
5. What color horse does Hyder Ali ride along the banks of the Jumna River
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dr. Biswas admire above all others?
2. What happens when Raja's friends at Hindu College find out he believes the idea of Pakistan is feasible?
3. What does Bakul tell people who ask detrimental questions about India?
4. Who did their brother Raja admire above all?
5. What does Bakul say to Tara when she decides to stay with her family that morning instead of going with him to New Delhi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the episode with the cow so important to this novel?
2. Describe Bakul's appearance and behavior, and discuss his attitude towards his work and towards his wife.
3. What is symbolic about Tara holding Bim's hand on the day of their departure?
4. Why does Dr. Biswas feel a sense of failure after talking to Bim about Raja's tuberculosis?
5. How does Bim describe time? What do you think she means by this?
6. What is the symbolism of Tara's words to Bim pouring out of her quickly on the day of her departure?
7. How does Tara see Aunt Mira?
8. Why does the tea party with Dr. Biswas, his mother and Bim go badly?
9. Why does Raja choose Hindu College over his original choice?
10. What difference does Aunt Mira make in Baba's life?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)