|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tara see in Bim that she never saw before?
(a) Hatred of Baba
(b) Meanness, cruelty, shaking, talking to herself and hoarding money and food
(c) Inability to understand simple concepts
(d) Beauty and peace
2. What does she say to Baba that upsets him?
(a) She wants him to start going to the office every day
(b) She is selling the family business and he must move in with Raja
(c) She does not love him
(d) She is breaking all of his records
3. What big event is happening at Raja's house?
(a) His 100th poem has been published
(b) His wife is pregnant again
(c) His daughter is getting married
(d) He is being promoted
4. That night on the veranda, what does Tara become upset about and apologize for?
(a) The time Bim gets attacked by bees and Tara did nothing
(b) For marrying Bakul instead of Dr. Biswas
(c) For leaving Bim with Baba
(d) The time she got angry at Bim for cutting her hair
5. At lunch that day, what does Bim try to force Tara to eat?
(a) Very hot curry
(b) Red meat
(c) Orange peels
(d) A rotten orange
6. Why does Bim become angry at Tara?
(a) Bim is jealous of Tara's wardrobe
(b) Tara has made false accusations against Bim
(c) Tara's description of her own life and that of Raja makes Bim feel excluded
(d) Tara is behaving like a child
7. What did Raja want to be when he was grown up?
(a) A librarian
(b) A writer
(c) A Hero
(d) A soldier
8. What happened to the cow?
(a) It was accidently sent to the butcher
(b) It drowned in the garden pond
(c) It lived a long life and Bim ended up caring for it in its old age
(d) It ran off with the gardner
9. When Tara is speaking to Bakul about her realizations about her sister, what is Bakul thinking about?
(a) His luncheon that next day
(b) His work
(c) Sleeping with another woman
(d) His travel arrangements
10. How does Bim treat Tara, even as an adult?
(a) Like a close friend
(b) Like a competitor or a rival
(c) With love and respect
(d) Like a younger, weaker sister who is there to be manipulated
11. What is Raja's favorite hobby at this time?
(a) Watching cartoons
(b) Reading adventure books and acting out the hero characters
(c) Listening to records
(d) Stamp collecting
12. Who was sent to fetch them?
(a) Aunt Mira
(b) The Misras brothers
(c) Tara and Baba
(d) Hyder Ali
13. How does Bakul deal with the atmosphere in Tara's family home during their stay?
(a) He tries to assist Tara in working out the problems with her sister
(b) He schedules luncheons and meetings all day every day
(c) He manipulates Bim and Tara to cause further anger
(d) He encourages the sisters to talk it out
14. Where did Bakul and Tara meet?
(a) At church
(b) At school
(c) At the house of the Misras family
(d) At Hyder Ali's house
15. What do the children do every evening?
(a) Texted their parents on cell phones
(b) Played quietly in their rooms, did their homework and spent time with their parents
(c) Wait for their parents to come home from playing bridge at the club
(d) Watched the evening news on the television
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Tara so shocked at Bim's descriptions of Raja and his family?
2. What did her doctor describe for the mother to deal with her illness?
3. Who was called to care for Baba when the mother grew tired of him?
4. What is Bakul's solution to Tara's problems with Bim?
5. What does Bim say when Bakul suggests she talk with Raja before selling?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)