|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What episode at school upset Tara's emotions so much she seem obsessed with one of the teachers?
(a) A female teacher falls in love with Tara
(b) A teacher elopes with Sharma
(c) A female teacher was found to be having an affair with a local monk
(d) Two of the teachers fall in love
2. What is the one thing she could not do for Baba?
(a) She could not teach him to try new things
(b) She could not teach him how to talk
(c) She could not teach him to eat
(d) She could not teach him to dress himself
3. What is one of the most memorable actions she takes against Tara?
(a) Bim tells Aunt Mira lies about Tara
(b) Biim exposes Tara to a swarm of bees
(c) Bim suspends Tara's telephone rights
(d) Bim cuts off all of Tara's hair
4. What does Bim say when Bakul suggests she talk with Raja before selling?
(a) Who is Raja?
(b) I will call him this afternoon
(c) That Raja would not care
(d) I agree, I will consult him, you and Baba before making a decision.
5. What has Bim worried in this chapter?
(a) Baba is ill
(b) Dr. Biswas is courting her again
(c) A letter from the family business partner, Sharma, has arrived and he wishes to speak to them
(d) Bim has just discovered she is pregnant
6. What does she say to Baba that upsets him?
(a) She does not love him
(b) She wants him to start going to the office every day
(c) She is selling the family business and he must move in with Raja
(d) She is breaking all of his records
7. How does Bim react to her sister's problems at school
(a) She ignores her sister and joins in with the teasing
(b) She complains to Raja and asks him to fix it
(c) She goes to the teachers and asks them for help
(d) She defends Tara against the other children
8. How does Bim now see the pattern of her life?
9. What episode at school disturbed Tara deeply and made her think of blood?
(a) A bird hits the school room window and dies
(b) One of the girls in class injures their head
(c) The shooting of a mad dog that was hiding under one of the buildings
(d) One of the teachers dies in class
10. What is Raja's favorite hobby at this time?
(a) Watching cartoons
(b) Listening to records
(c) Stamp collecting
(d) Reading adventure books and acting out the hero characters
11. What does Tara decide to do after that conversation about Raja?
(a) Call Raja and tell him what happened
(b) Watch her sister's behavior more closely
(c) Leave earlier than they had planned
(d) Write a letter to Bim's school and share her concerns
12. What big event is happening at Raja's house?
(a) His daughter is getting married
(b) His 100th poem has been published
(c) His wife is pregnant again
(d) He is being promoted
13. Alone in her room that afternoon, what does Bim realize?
(a) She loves her brothers and her sister more than anything, and she needs to forgive and make amends
(b) She wants to leave home
(c) She really hates being a teacher
(d) She resents her family
14. What disease did Aunt Mira nurse Bim and Raja through?
(a) Chicken pox
15. What is Baba's reaction?
(a) He cries and runs out of the room
(b) He speaks for the first time
(c) He draws back from Bim as if she has hit him
(d) He goes to Tara for help
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Aunt Mira ask the chidren's parents for a cow?
2. Who of the family needed Aunt Mira the most?
3. How does Bim handle her anger at Raja for growing up and away from the other children?
4. What sort of climate did the children grow up in?
5. That night on the veranda, what does Tara become upset about and apologize for?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)