|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bakul treat Tara?
(a) As a sexy, exciting partner
(b) Like a rug on which to wipe his feet
(c) As a companion whose opinion is well respected
(d) As a beloved servant
2. Whose letter does Tara read to Bim?
(a) From their mother to their father
(b) From her daughters
(c) From Aunt Mira to their mother
(d) A letter to Tara from Raja
3. What did the boys say Tara looked like when her hair was cut off?
(a) A dog
(b) A pigeon
(c) A turtle
(d) Roy Rogers
4. How was Mira treated by her husband's family after he died?
(a) As if she were a valued member of the family
(b) As if she were their slave
(c) As if she were the Queen of India
(d) With respect and love
5. How does Bim react to her sister's problems at school
(a) She defends Tara against the other children
(b) She ignores her sister and joins in with the teasing
(c) She goes to the teachers and asks them for help
(d) She complains to Raja and asks him to fix it
6. What has Bim worried in this chapter?
(a) Dr. Biswas is courting her again
(b) Bim has just discovered she is pregnant
(c) A letter from the family business partner, Sharma, has arrived and he wishes to speak to them
(d) Baba is ill
7. After she speaks to Baba, who does Bim seek out to vent her anger?
(a) No one, her anger is finally spent
(c) the cook
(d) The cat
8. What honor did Bim receive in school?
(a) Best athlete
(b) Most accomplished reader
(c) Head girl
(d) Most Improved Student
9. How does Aunt Mira treat Baba?
(a) She ignores him
(b) She is afraid of him and avoids him
(c) She pushes him too hard to achieve things
(d) She loves him and teaches him how to take care of himself
10. Who of the family needed Aunt Mira the most?
(b) The father
(d) The mother
11. Why is Tara carrying a set of keys on a chain around her waist?
(a) She found these keys in Bim's desk and Bim gave them to her
(b) Bakul has asked her to keep the keys to their trunks and suitcases
(c) She likes the sound it makes when she walks
(d) She cannot find her purse
12. What does Baba say?
(b) "I hate you"
(c) "You are right, I should go"
(d) "Who is Raja?"
13. At what age was Aunt Mira widowed?
14. What papers does she decide to go through?
(a) Bakul's official papers
(b) Tara's private papers
(c) The ones in the bottom drawer of the desk
(d) Old drawings done by Baba
15. Which of the children grew up to become exactly what they said they wanted to be as a child?
(a) Bim the teacher
(b) Baba the insurance salesman
(c) Raja a hero
(d) Tara, becoming a mother
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Aunt Mira ask the chidren's parents for a cow?
2. What have the Misras sisters become?
3. How does Bim remember the incident?
4. When Raja is away from home one afternoon, what do Bim and Tara do?
5. What happened to the cow?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)