|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bim now see the pattern of her life?
2. Which of the children first grows tired of Aunt Mira's ministrations and leaves the home for other adventures?
3. What is Theosophy?
(a) A type of cow
(b) A form of religion
(c) A way to cook meat
(d) A type of cat
4. Where did Bim and Raja go to cool off in the summer evenings?
(a) Hyder Ali Sahib's house
(b) The mall
(c) The family kitchen
(d) The River Jumna
5. Why does Bim become angry at Tara?
(a) Tara has made false accusations against Bim
(b) Tara is behaving like a child
(c) Tara's description of her own life and that of Raja makes Bim feel excluded
(d) Bim is jealous of Tara's wardrobe
6. Why did Tara marry Bakul instead of going to college and furthering her education?
(a) Tara hated school
(b) She could not decide what courses to take
(c) She could not afford college
(d) She was pregnant
7. Who does Bim direct her anger to?
(b) The cat
(d) The cow
8. What is Raja's favorite hobby at this time?
(a) Listening to records
(b) Watching cartoons
(c) Reading adventure books and acting out the hero characters
(d) Stamp collecting
9. How does Bim react to her sister's problems at school
(a) She complains to Raja and asks him to fix it
(b) She goes to the teachers and asks them for help
(c) She ignores her sister and joins in with the teasing
(d) She defends Tara against the other children
10. Who of the family needed Aunt Mira the most?
(a) The mother
(b) The father
11. How did the climate affect the children?
(a) They spent all their time out of doors riding their bikes
(b) They were energized to do anything to keep warm
(c) They were active in sports
(d) They laid around the house or on the veranda, too hot to play anything but word games
12. What does Tara decide to do after that conversation about Raja?
(a) Leave earlier than they had planned
(b) Call Raja and tell him what happened
(c) Write a letter to Bim's school and share her concerns
(d) Watch her sister's behavior more closely
13. What episode at school disturbed Tara deeply and made her think of blood?
(a) The shooting of a mad dog that was hiding under one of the buildings
(b) A bird hits the school room window and dies
(c) One of the girls in class injures their head
(d) One of the teachers dies in class
14. What has Bim worried in this chapter?
(a) Dr. Biswas is courting her again
(b) A letter from the family business partner, Sharma, has arrived and he wishes to speak to them
(c) Bim has just discovered she is pregnant
(d) Baba is ill
15. What did the boys say Tara looked like when her hair was cut off?
(a) A pigeon
(b) A turtle
(c) A dog
(d) Roy Rogers
Short Answer Questions
1. After she speaks to Baba, who does Bim seek out to vent her anger?
2. Why does Aunt Mira ask the chidren's parents for a cow?
3. What does she do with the papers?
4. What episode at school upset Tara's emotions so much she seem obsessed with one of the teachers?
5. As a child, what was Tara always expecting?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)