|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was sent to fetch them?
(a) Hyder Ali
(b) Tara and Baba
(c) The Misras brothers
(d) Aunt Mira
2. Why does Bim become angry at Tara?
(a) Tara is behaving like a child
(b) Tara's description of her own life and that of Raja makes Bim feel excluded
(c) Tara has made false accusations against Bim
(d) Bim is jealous of Tara's wardrobe
3. As Tara gets older, she no longer seeks comfort from Aunt Mira. Where does she go?
(a) She runs away from home with one of the Misras sisters
(b) To movies in town
(c) To Hyder Ali's house
(d) To the neighbors house to spend time with the Misras sisters
4. What papers does she decide to go through?
(a) Bakul's official papers
(b) The ones in the bottom drawer of the desk
(c) Old drawings done by Baba
(d) Tara's private papers
5. What does Tara see in Bim that she never saw before?
(a) Meanness, cruelty, shaking, talking to herself and hoarding money and food
(b) Beauty and peace
(c) Hatred of Baba
(d) Inability to understand simple concepts
6. What does Bim say when Bakul suggests she talk with Raja before selling?
(a) Who is Raja?
(b) That Raja would not care
(c) I will call him this afternoon
(d) I agree, I will consult him, you and Baba before making a decision.
7. Why does Aunt Mira ask the chidren's parents for a cow?
(a) She wanted to murder a cow
(b) The milk they had been getting delivered was watered down
(c) She wants a pet
(d) It was cheaper than buying from the grocery store
8. What is Raja's favorite hobby at this time?
(a) Stamp collecting
(b) Listening to records
(c) Watching cartoons
(d) Reading adventure books and acting out the hero characters
9. What does Bim tell Tara to tell Raja?
(a) Come soon to visit me and Baba
(b) I will bring Baba for a visit next summer
(c) Leave us alone
(d) Send me money
10. What sort of books does Tara read?
(a) Science fiction
11. What did Mira give the children that their own parents did not?
(a) Presents and money
(b) Strict discipline and punishment
(c) Drugs and alcohol
(d) Compassion and attention
12. What happens on one of these summer evenings that makes an impression on all of the children?
(a) Hyder Ali Sahib rides past them on his great white horse
(b) A group of soldiers march by
(c) The river floods and Baba nearly drowns
(d) They find a dead cow in the river
13. Which of the children first grows tired of Aunt Mira's ministrations and leaves the home for other adventures?
14. While they are still children, what childish claim to fame does Raja have?
(a) He is the only one able to count to 100 for hide and go seek
(b) He always cheats in order to win
(c) He always wins at cards
(d) The sisters are never able to catch him in any game
15. What did Tara think was happening?
(a) That her mother was a drug addict
(b) That her mother was dying of terminal cancer
(c) That her father had killed her mother
(d) That her father was a doctor
Short Answer Questions
1. Alone in her room that afternoon, what does Bim realize?
2. How does Bim handle her anger at Raja for growing up and away from the other children?
3. What did the boys say Tara looked like when her hair was cut off?
4. When Tara is speaking to Bakul about her realizations about her sister, what is Bakul thinking about?
5. What do the children do every evening?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)