|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children does Raja have?
(a) One son
(b) One son and six daughters
(c) Five - four daughters and a son
(d) Three daughters and two sons
2. What did Bim want to be when she was grown up?
(a) A card player
(b) A caregiver
(c) A race car driver
(d) A Heroine
3. What honor did Raja receive in school?
(a) Most Popular
(b) Quarterback for the football team
(c) One of his poems won a prize
(d) Member of the National Honor Society
4. As Tara gets older, she no longer seeks comfort from Aunt Mira. Where does she go?
(a) She runs away from home with one of the Misras sisters
(b) To the neighbors house to spend time with the Misras sisters
(c) To Hyder Ali's house
(d) To movies in town
5. What does Bim tell Tara to tell Raja?
(a) Send me money
(b) I will bring Baba for a visit next summer
(c) Leave us alone
(d) Come soon to visit me and Baba
6. What is Raja's favorite hobby at this time?
(a) Watching cartoons
(b) Stamp collecting
(c) Listening to records
(d) Reading adventure books and acting out the hero characters
7. What does Baba say?
(a) "I hate you"
(c) "Who is Raja?"
(d) "You are right, I should go"
8. As a child, what was Tara always expecting?
(a) To be punished by her parents
(b) To find a treasure or become a princess
(c) To find out she was adopted
(d) To be disappointed
9. What did Mira give the children that their own parents did not?
(a) Strict discipline and punishment
(b) Drugs and alcohol
(c) Compassion and attention
(d) Presents and money
10. What did her doctor describe for the mother to deal with her illness?
(a) Walk in the garden every day
(c) Strict diet of fruit and vegetables
(d) Vigorous exercise three times per day
11. Why did Tara marry Bakul instead of going to college and furthering her education?
(a) Tara hated school
(b) She was pregnant
(c) She could not decide what courses to take
(d) She could not afford college
12. At lunch that day, what does Bim try to force Tara to eat?
(a) Very hot curry
(b) A rotten orange
(c) Red meat
(d) Orange peels
13. What is the one thing she could not do for Baba?
(a) She could not teach him to dress himself
(b) She could not teach him to try new things
(c) She could not teach him how to talk
(d) She could not teach him to eat
14. Alone in her room that afternoon, what does Bim realize?
(a) She loves her brothers and her sister more than anything, and she needs to forgive and make amends
(b) She resents her family
(c) She wants to leave home
(d) She really hates being a teacher
15. How does Bim remember the incident?
(a) She hardly recalls it, thinking only of the minor pain of the stings
(b) She remembers it just as intensely, but saw it in a different light
(c) She thinks about Tara's betrayal every day
(d) She has never forgiven her sister for running off
Short Answer Questions
1. What does she do with the papers?
2. What sort of books does Tara read?
3. What do the children do every evening?
4. What sort of climate did the children grow up in?
5. How does Aunt Mira treat Baba?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)