|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the one thing she could not do for Baba?
(a) She could not teach him how to talk
(b) She could not teach him to try new things
(c) She could not teach him to eat
(d) She could not teach him to dress himself
2. What disease did Aunt Mira nurse Bim and Raja through?
(c) Chicken pox
3. In this chapter, what does Tara apologize to Bim for?
(a) Marrying Baku when she knew Bim was in love with him
(b) Eating all the oranges
(c) Departing so soon after marriage and leaving Bim to care for Baba
(d) Cutting Bim's hair off
4. Tara tries to talk to one of the Misras sisters regarding her concerns about Bim. How does the Misras sister react?
(a) She says Bim is fine
(b) She offers to help Tara speak with her
(c) She offers other examples of Bim's strange behavior
(d) She offers to come live with Bim and help her
5. What does Tara see in Bim that she never saw before?
(a) Meanness, cruelty, shaking, talking to herself and hoarding money and food
(b) Inability to understand simple concepts
(c) Beauty and peace
(d) Hatred of Baba
6. What does Tara decide to do after that conversation about Raja?
(a) Call Raja and tell him what happened
(b) Write a letter to Bim's school and share her concerns
(c) Watch her sister's behavior more closely
(d) Leave earlier than they had planned
7. What did Tara see her father do to her mother long ago?
(a) Give her an injection for her diabetes
(b) Slap her
(c) Make love to her
(d) Yell at her
8. What does she do with the papers?
(a) She gives them to Tara's daughters
(b) She throws most of them away, symbolically ridding herself of their hold on her
(c) She burns them
(d) She confronts Bakul with them
9. What does Bim say about rich, fat and successful people?
(a) They are admirable
(b) She wants to be one of them
(c) They are exciting
(d) They are boring
10. Who of the family needed Aunt Mira the most?
(b) The father
(c) The mother
11. What is Bakul's solution to Tara's problems with Bim?
(a) To have Bim committed to an institution
(b) To take Bim shopping for new clothes
(c) To encourage Bim and Raja to meet and talk
(d) To forget about it
12. What has happened to the Misras brothers' wives?
(a) They are still at the house, just away shopping
(b) They have returned to their own families rather than deal with the men
(c) They have pursued careers in the foreign service and travel constantly
(d) They have passed away
13. How does Bim remember the incident?
(a) She hardly recalls it, thinking only of the minor pain of the stings
(b) She thinks about Tara's betrayal every day
(c) She remembers it just as intensely, but saw it in a different light
(d) She has never forgiven her sister for running off
14. What did Bim want to be when she was grown up?
(a) A caregiver
(b) A card player
(c) A race car driver
(d) A Heroine
15. What did Mira give the children that their own parents did not?
(a) Compassion and attention
(b) Drugs and alcohol
(c) Presents and money
(d) Strict discipline and punishment
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is successful and popular at school?
2. How was Mira treated by her husband's family after he died?
3. Why does Aunt Mira ask the chidren's parents for a cow?
4. At what age was Aunt Mira widowed?
5. What does Baba say?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)