|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bim say about rich, fat and successful people?
(a) They are admirable
(b) They are exciting
(c) They are boring
(d) She wants to be one of them
2. How does Bim now see the pattern of her life?
3. How does Bim handle her anger at Raja for growing up and away from the other children?
(a) She uses a punching bag in the gardner's shed
(b) She takes long walks by the river
(c) She watches hours of television
(d) She becomes cruel to Tara
4. Who is successful and popular at school?
(c) Their mother
(d) Bim and Raja
5. What is Baba's reaction?
(a) He draws back from Bim as if she has hit him
(b) He goes to Tara for help
(c) He cries and runs out of the room
(d) He speaks for the first time
6. As Tara gets older, she no longer seeks comfort from Aunt Mira. Where does she go?
(a) To the neighbors house to spend time with the Misras sisters
(b) To movies in town
(c) To Hyder Ali's house
(d) She runs away from home with one of the Misras sisters
7. What papers does she decide to go through?
(a) Old drawings done by Baba
(b) Bakul's official papers
(c) The ones in the bottom drawer of the desk
(d) Tara's private papers
8. Why does Aunt Mira ask the chidren's parents for a cow?
(a) The milk they had been getting delivered was watered down
(b) She wants a pet
(c) It was cheaper than buying from the grocery store
(d) She wanted to murder a cow
9. Who of the family needed Aunt Mira the most?
(c) The father
(d) The mother
10. What did the boys say Tara looked like when her hair was cut off?
(a) Roy Rogers
(b) A pigeon
(c) A turtle
(d) A dog
11. Why did Tara marry Bakul instead of going to college and furthering her education?
(a) She was pregnant
(b) Tara hated school
(c) She could not afford college
(d) She could not decide what courses to take
12. What episode at school disturbed Tara deeply and made her think of blood?
(a) One of the teachers dies in class
(b) One of the girls in class injures their head
(c) A bird hits the school room window and dies
(d) The shooting of a mad dog that was hiding under one of the buildings
13. In her mind, what does Bim compare Bakul and Tara, the Misras, Raja and his family to?
(c) Family pets
14. Where did Bim and Raja go to cool off in the summer evenings?
(a) The mall
(b) The family kitchen
(c) Hyder Ali Sahib's house
(d) The River Jumna
15. What has happened to the Misras brothers' wives?
(a) They are still at the house, just away shopping
(b) They have passed away
(c) They have pursued careers in the foreign service and travel constantly
(d) They have returned to their own families rather than deal with the men
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Raja want to be when he was grown up?
2. What honor did Raja receive in school?
3. Why does Bim become angry at Tara?
4. Who does Bim direct her anger to?
5. Who is terrified of going to and being at school?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)