|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was Baba different from the other children?
(a) He was brilliant, a quick learner and early to walk and talk
(b) He was darker in skin color
(c) He could see into the future
(d) He was very slow to progress and did not talk
2. What is one of the most memorable actions she takes against Tara?
(a) Biim exposes Tara to a swarm of bees
(b) Bim suspends Tara's telephone rights
(c) Bim cuts off all of Tara's hair
(d) Bim tells Aunt Mira lies about Tara
3. What did Raja want to be when he was grown up?
(a) A librarian
(b) A Hero
(c) A soldier
(d) A writer
4. How does Bim treat Tara, even as an adult?
(a) Like a younger, weaker sister who is there to be manipulated
(b) With love and respect
(c) Like a competitor or a rival
(d) Like a close friend
5. While they are still children, what childish claim to fame does Raja have?
(a) The sisters are never able to catch him in any game
(b) He always wins at cards
(c) He always cheats in order to win
(d) He is the only one able to count to 100 for hide and go seek
6. How does Aunt Mira treat Baba?
(a) She ignores him
(b) She is afraid of him and avoids him
(c) She loves him and teaches him how to take care of himself
(d) She pushes him too hard to achieve things
7. What honor did Bim receive in school?
(a) Best athlete
(b) Head girl
(c) Most accomplished reader
(d) Most Improved Student
8. Who does Bim direct her anger to?
(b) The cow
(d) The cat
9. After she speaks to Baba, who does Bim seek out to vent her anger?
(a) The cat
(b) the cook
(c) No one, her anger is finally spent
10. What does Tara see in Bim that she never saw before?
(a) Inability to understand simple concepts
(b) Beauty and peace
(c) Meanness, cruelty, shaking, talking to herself and hoarding money and food
(d) Hatred of Baba
11. What happens on one of these summer evenings that makes an impression on all of the children?
(a) They find a dead cow in the river
(b) A group of soldiers march by
(c) The river floods and Baba nearly drowns
(d) Hyder Ali Sahib rides past them on his great white horse
12. What does Bim say when Bakul suggests she talk with Raja before selling?
(a) I will call him this afternoon
(b) Who is Raja?
(c) I agree, I will consult him, you and Baba before making a decision.
(d) That Raja would not care
13. Alone in her room that afternoon, what does Bim realize?
(a) She really hates being a teacher
(b) She loves her brothers and her sister more than anything, and she needs to forgive and make amends
(c) She resents her family
(d) She wants to leave home
14. How was Mira treated by her husband's family after he died?
(a) As if she were a valued member of the family
(b) As if she were their slave
(c) With respect and love
(d) As if she were the Queen of India
15. Tara tries to talk to one of the Misras sisters regarding her concerns about Bim. How does the Misras sister react?
(a) She offers other examples of Bim's strange behavior
(b) She offers to come live with Bim and help her
(c) She offers to help Tara speak with her
(d) She says Bim is fine
Short Answer Questions
1. That night on the veranda, what does Tara become upset about and apologize for?
2. At lunch that day, what does Bim try to force Tara to eat?
3. Why is Tara so shocked at Bim's descriptions of Raja and his family?
4. What does Bim tell Tara to tell Raja?
5. What did the boys say Tara looked like when her hair was cut off?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)