|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bim remember the incident?
(a) She hardly recalls it, thinking only of the minor pain of the stings
(b) She remembers it just as intensely, but saw it in a different light
(c) She thinks about Tara's betrayal every day
(d) She has never forgiven her sister for running off
2. What sort of climate did the children grow up in?
(a) Bitter cold, in the mountains of India
(b) On an island off the coast of India, breezy and warm
(c) Moderate, with four distinct seasons of snow, cool autumns, mild summers and pleasant springs.
(d) Tropic, intense heat and humidity during the summer
3. Who was sent to fetch them?
(a) Aunt Mira
(b) The Misras brothers
(c) Hyder Ali
(d) Tara and Baba
4. What disease did Aunt Mira nurse Bim and Raja through?
(a) Chicken pox
5. What does Tara decide to do after that conversation about Raja?
(a) Write a letter to Bim's school and share her concerns
(b) Watch her sister's behavior more closely
(c) Leave earlier than they had planned
(d) Call Raja and tell him what happened
6. How does Bakul treat Tara?
(a) As a companion whose opinion is well respected
(b) As a beloved servant
(c) As a sexy, exciting partner
(d) Like a rug on which to wipe his feet
7. After she speaks to Baba, who does Bim seek out to vent her anger?
(b) The cat
(c) the cook
(d) No one, her anger is finally spent
8. As a child, what was Tara always expecting?
(a) To be disappointed
(b) To find out she was adopted
(c) To be punished by her parents
(d) To find a treasure or become a princess
9. Who is terrified of going to and being at school?
(c) One of the Misras sisters
10. What event at school upsets Tara so much she lies to avoid it?
(a) Spelling tests
(b) Sports Day
(c) Class picture day
(d) Charity Thursdays
11. How was Mira treated by her husband's family after he died?
(a) As if she were the Queen of India
(b) With respect and love
(c) As if she were a valued member of the family
(d) As if she were their slave
12. What does Bim say when Bakul suggests she talk with Raja before selling?
(a) Who is Raja?
(b) That Raja would not care
(c) I will call him this afternoon
(d) I agree, I will consult him, you and Baba before making a decision.
13. What does Baba say?
(a) "I hate you"
(b) "Who is Raja?"
(d) "You are right, I should go"
14. How was Baba different from the other children?
(a) He was brilliant, a quick learner and early to walk and talk
(b) He was darker in skin color
(c) He was very slow to progress and did not talk
(d) He could see into the future
15. At what age was Aunt Mira widowed?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the boys say Tara looked like when her hair was cut off?
2. Why does Bim become angry at Tara?
3. What episode at school upset Tara's emotions so much she seem obsessed with one of the teachers?
4. When was the last time that Bim has seen Raja?
5. When Tara is speaking to Bakul about her realizations about her sister, what is Bakul thinking about?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)