|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is terrified of going to and being at school?
(b) One of the Misras sisters
2. What does Tara see in Bim that she never saw before?
(a) Inability to understand simple concepts
(b) Hatred of Baba
(c) Meanness, cruelty, shaking, talking to herself and hoarding money and food
(d) Beauty and peace
3. Why does Aunt Mira ask the chidren's parents for a cow?
(a) She wants a pet
(b) She wanted to murder a cow
(c) It was cheaper than buying from the grocery store
(d) The milk they had been getting delivered was watered down
4. How does Bakul treat Tara?
(a) As a beloved servant
(b) Like a rug on which to wipe his feet
(c) As a companion whose opinion is well respected
(d) As a sexy, exciting partner
5. How does Bim now see the pattern of her life?
6. How was Baba different from the other children?
(a) He was darker in skin color
(b) He could see into the future
(c) He was very slow to progress and did not talk
(d) He was brilliant, a quick learner and early to walk and talk
7. What honor did Raja receive in school?
(a) Quarterback for the football team
(b) Member of the National Honor Society
(c) One of his poems won a prize
(d) Most Popular
8. Why does Bim become angry at Tara?
(a) Tara has made false accusations against Bim
(b) Tara's description of her own life and that of Raja makes Bim feel excluded
(c) Bim is jealous of Tara's wardrobe
(d) Tara is behaving like a child
9. How does Bim remember the incident?
(a) She has never forgiven her sister for running off
(b) She remembers it just as intensely, but saw it in a different light
(c) She thinks about Tara's betrayal every day
(d) She hardly recalls it, thinking only of the minor pain of the stings
10. What does she do with the papers?
(a) She throws most of them away, symbolically ridding herself of their hold on her
(b) She confronts Bakul with them
(c) She gives them to Tara's daughters
(d) She burns them
11. Tara tries to talk to one of the Misras sisters regarding her concerns about Bim. How does the Misras sister react?
(a) She says Bim is fine
(b) She offers to help Tara speak with her
(c) She offers other examples of Bim's strange behavior
(d) She offers to come live with Bim and help her
12. Which of the children first grows tired of Aunt Mira's ministrations and leaves the home for other adventures?
13. When Tara is speaking to Bakul about her realizations about her sister, what is Bakul thinking about?
(a) His luncheon that next day
(b) Sleeping with another woman
(c) His work
(d) His travel arrangements
14. What sort of climate did the children grow up in?
(a) On an island off the coast of India, breezy and warm
(b) Tropic, intense heat and humidity during the summer
(c) Moderate, with four distinct seasons of snow, cool autumns, mild summers and pleasant springs.
(d) Bitter cold, in the mountains of India
15. In her mind, what does Bim compare Bakul and Tara, the Misras, Raja and his family to?
(a) Family pets
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bakul deal with the atmosphere in Tara's family home during their stay?
2. Why is Tara carrying a set of keys on a chain around her waist?
3. What episode at school upset Tara's emotions so much she seem obsessed with one of the teachers?
4. Why is Tara so shocked at Bim's descriptions of Raja and his family?
5. What did Mira give the children that their own parents did not?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)