|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the climate affect the children?
(a) They laid around the house or on the veranda, too hot to play anything but word games
(b) They were active in sports
(c) They spent all their time out of doors riding their bikes
(d) They were energized to do anything to keep warm
2. What disease did Aunt Mira nurse Bim and Raja through?
(b) Chicken pox
3. How does Bim treat Tara, even as an adult?
(a) Like a close friend
(b) With love and respect
(c) Like a competitor or a rival
(d) Like a younger, weaker sister who is there to be manipulated
4. What is Theosophy?
(a) A type of cat
(b) A type of cow
(c) A form of religion
(d) A way to cook meat
5. What does Tara decide to do after that conversation about Raja?
(a) Watch her sister's behavior more closely
(b) Leave earlier than they had planned
(c) Write a letter to Bim's school and share her concerns
(d) Call Raja and tell him what happened
6. What happens on one of these summer evenings that makes an impression on all of the children?
(a) They find a dead cow in the river
(b) Hyder Ali Sahib rides past them on his great white horse
(c) The river floods and Baba nearly drowns
(d) A group of soldiers march by
7. What happened to the cow?
(a) It drowned in the garden pond
(b) It lived a long life and Bim ended up caring for it in its old age
(c) It was accidently sent to the butcher
(d) It ran off with the gardner
8. When Raja is away from home one afternoon, what do Bim and Tara do?
(a) They drank his private stash of whiskey and tore his magazines
(b) They put on his clothes, imitate him, disturb his papers in his room and smoke his cigarettes
(c) They moved his bed to the lawn
(d) They cleaned his room and put fresh flowers in it
9. What does she do with the papers?
(a) She throws most of them away, symbolically ridding herself of their hold on her
(b) She gives them to Tara's daughters
(c) She burns them
(d) She confronts Bakul with them
10. How does Bim remember the incident?
(a) She has never forgiven her sister for running off
(b) She thinks about Tara's betrayal every day
(c) She hardly recalls it, thinking only of the minor pain of the stings
(d) She remembers it just as intensely, but saw it in a different light
11. When Tara is speaking to Bakul about her realizations about her sister, what is Bakul thinking about?
(a) His travel arrangements
(b) His work
(c) His luncheon that next day
(d) Sleeping with another woman
12. What sort of climate did the children grow up in?
(a) Moderate, with four distinct seasons of snow, cool autumns, mild summers and pleasant springs.
(b) Tropic, intense heat and humidity during the summer
(c) Bitter cold, in the mountains of India
(d) On an island off the coast of India, breezy and warm
13. Where did Bakul and Tara meet?
(a) At school
(b) At the house of the Misras family
(c) At Hyder Ali's house
(d) At church
14. How does Bakul treat Tara?
(a) As a beloved servant
(b) As a companion whose opinion is well respected
(c) Like a rug on which to wipe his feet
(d) As a sexy, exciting partner
15. Who was sent to fetch them?
(a) The Misras brothers
(b) Tara and Baba
(c) Aunt Mira
(d) Hyder Ali
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Baba different from the other children?
2. What is the one thing she could not do for Baba?
3. What papers does she decide to go through?
4. Who is terrified of going to and being at school?
5. Who is successful and popular at school?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)