|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it so strange for Bim to ask Baba if he is going to the office that morning?
(a) He is mentally retarded and never goes to the office
(b) He has already mentioned going to the track that morning
(c) Bim usually does not speak to Baba in the morning
(d) He is usually off on Tuesdays
2. What does Mulk accuse his sisters of doing to him?
(a) Running off his wife
(b) Running off his musicians and denying him money
(c) Stealing his musical instruments
(d) Kidnapping his children
3. What does Baba do that surprises everyone?
(a) He leaves the house
(b) He announces his upcoming marriage
(c) He asks for pancakes for breakfast
(d) He begins speaking Spanish
4. Who begins to show interest in Bim?
(a) A Buddhist monk
(b) One of her students
(d) Dr. Biswas
5. What talent did their brother Raja have that developed into a career for him?
(a) He drove race cars
(b) He wrote poetry
(c) He was a great cook
(d) He sang rock and roll
6. What color horse does Hyder Ali ride along the banks of the Jumna River
7. What happened to their mother after twenty years of spending her evenings at the club?
(a) She decided she no longer wanted to play bridge
(b) She found another man
(c) She decided to spend the evening playing cards with her children
(d) She missed an evening and slipped into a coma
8. What are the names of the people everyone is talking about that summer, according to this novel?
(a) Gandhi, FDR, Churchill and Nehru
(b) Gandhi, Mountbatten, Churchill, Jinnah and Nehru
(c) Queen Elizabeth, Gandhi, Churchill and Nehru
(d) Gandhi, Clinton, Reagan and Bush
9. What illness does Raja get that summer?
(c) Venereal disease
10. How does Bim react to his interest?
(a) She moves away
(b) She ignores him
(c) She falls in love
(d) She begins stalking him
11. Where does Baba get the gramophone?
(a) He finds it in the dumpster
(b) From the empty house of Hyder Ali
(c) He steals it from the Misras sisters
(d) From Sears
12. What instrument does Dr. Biswas play?
13. Why did her father give her mother injections?
(a) Her mother had t.b.
(b) Her mother was a drug addict
(c) Her mother had diabetes
(d) He was slowly poisoning her
14. What world event occurred that year that made such a difference in the lives of the four children?
(a) Independence for India and Pakistan
(b) Vietnam War ends
(c) Queen Victoria of England dies
(d) World War II begins
15. Who does Dr. Biswas admire above all others?
(d) Elvis Presley
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Tara spending all of her time?
2. Where does Tara remember going for escape from the neglect of her parents?
3. What does Dr. Biswas recommend as treatment for Aunt Mira?
4. What does Bakul tell people who ask detrimental questions about India?
5. How does Bim recover from grieving for Aunt Mira
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)