|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sort of birds begin their calls before daylight around the family's home?
2. What overcomes Tara when she is at her family home?
(a) Heat, laziness, intimidation by her sister
(b) Energy, excitement and enthusiasm
(c) An urge to cook
(d) Sneezing and coughing
3. What family pet is rescued from the tree in the garden?
(a) Baba's gecko
(b) The parrot
(c) Bim's cat
(d) Rex the camel
4. What happens to Aunt Mira in this chapter?
(a) She begins a career as a professional caregiver
(b) She begins obsessing about the cow
(c) She surprises everyone by marrying Dr. Biswas
(d) She dies
5. What is Tara's reaction to Bim's behavior regarding the letter?
(a) Tara decides to show the letter to Bakul to intercede on Bim's behalf
(b) Tara is too busy looking at her fingernails to listen
(c) Tara agrees that Raja is evil
(d) Tara is shocked and tries to convince Bim that Raja is not a bad man
6. Whose ghost does Bim claim to have seen in the garden?
(a) Their father
(b) Aunt Mira
(c) The cow
(d) Their mother
7. What do Bim and the old man discuss?
(a) Indian Partition
(c) Dr. Biswas
(d) Bollywood celebrities
8. Bakul is waiting for them on the veranda. What music greets the sisters when they join Bakul?
(a) Baba's old 78 records
(b) Country music from the Misras home
(c) Bakul's transister radio
(d) Aunt Mira playing the flute
9. Why did Baba refuse the new 78 records that Tara found for him?
(a) He does not like Tara
(b) He only likes the ones he has already
(c) He already has those copies
(d) He is no longer using the gramophone
10. What helps Raja to begin to get better?
(a) A new medicine brought by Dr. Biswas
(b) A letter from Hyder Ali Sahib and his daughter Benazir
(c) He falls in love with one of the Misras sisters
(d) Winter arrives and it is cooler
11. When Tara speaks of being young again, what is Bim's reaction?
(a) Bim remarks she would never be young again for anything
(b) Bim says she would love to be a child again
(c) Bim says she doesn't remember much about her childhood
(d) Bim says she envies Tara's childhood more than her own
12. Why does Dr. Biswas think Bim is not interested in his courtship?
(a) Because she is in love with someone else
(b) She has dedicated her life to caring for her aunt and her brothers
(c) She is not interested in men
(d) She wants to become a num
13. How does Tara, in this chapter, remember her parents?
(a) As reserved, but compassionate
(b) People who played cards, year after year, with their friends, and who ignored their children
(c) Loving parents who are involved in their children's futures
(d) She does not remember them at all
14. What happens when Raja's friends at Hindu College find out he believes the idea of Pakistan is feasible?
(a) They become his enemies
(b) They change their opinion and view to his
(c) They try to kill him
(d) They write letters to the newspaper in protest
15. What did Baba play with before the gramophone?
(b) Video games
(d) Pebbles given to him by Aunt Mira
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hyder Ali offer to Raja?
2. What family pet joins the sisters in the garden?
3. Who takes care of Raja?
4. The sisters remember playing in the sand and along the banks of what nearby river?
5. What color horse does Hyder Ali ride along the banks of the Jumna River
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)