|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to their mother after twenty years of spending her evenings at the club?
(a) She decided to spend the evening playing cards with her children
(b) She missed an evening and slipped into a coma
(c) She decided she no longer wanted to play bridge
(d) She found another man
2. Why are the Misras sisters still living at the family home?
(a) Their husbands have abandoned them
(b) They have a home based internet business
(c) They want to be with their brothers
(d) They were wounded in the war
3. How does this family dispose of the dead?
(b) Burial in an expensive crypt
(c) Burial at sea
(d) Burial in a plot in the back yard
4. When Bim and Baba return from Hyder Ali Sahib's house, what has happened?
(a) Aunt Mira has lost her mind and is running through the garden naked
(b) The cow has drowned in the garden
(c) Tara has run off with Bakul
(d) All of the roses have died
5. What does Bim think of his statement?
(a) She agrees and begins weeping
(b) She seeks out his mother for her opnion
(c) She is angry and throws him out of the house
(d) She believes it to be completely false
6. What is Tara's reaction to Bim's behavior regarding the letter?
(a) Tara decides to show the letter to Bakul to intercede on Bim's behalf
(b) Tara is shocked and tries to convince Bim that Raja is not a bad man
(c) Tara agrees that Raja is evil
(d) Tara is too busy looking at her fingernails to listen
7. What color horse does Hyder Ali ride along the banks of the Jumna River
8. Who takes care of Raja?
9. How does the richness of Hyder Ali's home compare to Raja's home?
(a) Raja's home is full of love and compassion and Ali's is void of emotion
(b) Raja's home is full of interesting people and no one visits Ali
(c) Raja's home is shabby and empty, devoid of friends, color and charm
(d) Raja's home is welcoming and warm, and Ali's home is cold and dark
10. What does Baba do that surprises everyone?
(a) He begins speaking Spanish
(b) He asks for pancakes for breakfast
(c) He leaves the house
(d) He announces his upcoming marriage
11. Where has Bakul been posted when he comes to ask Bim for permission to marry Tara?
(d) United States
12. What does Bim give Baba by way of apology for driving him out of the house that morning?
(a) A cigar
(b) A new car
(c) A new record
(d) An ice cream cone
13. Who is asleep on the veranda when Bakul, Bim and Tara return home?
(a) The pet dog
(b) Aunt Mira
(c) The jet-black cat
14. What does Tara say she wants to be when she grows up?
(a) A card player
(b) A teacher
(c) A mother
(d) A caregiver
15. What childhood event do the Misras sisters remind Tara of that night?
(a) When the children first see Hyder Ali Sahib
(b) When the bees attacked Bim
(c) When the mad dog was shot at school
(d) When their parents died
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Raja's friends at Hindu College find out he believes the idea of Pakistan is feasible?
2. What does Bakul tell people who ask detrimental questions about India?
3. What does Raja say as he is leaving for Hyderabad?
4. Who does Bimla think of when she hears that Gandhi has been killed?
5. Where does Bakul think he and Tara should have stayed instead of at her family home?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)