|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to their mother after twenty years of spending her evenings at the club?
(a) She decided she no longer wanted to play bridge
(b) She found another man
(c) She missed an evening and slipped into a coma
(d) She decided to spend the evening playing cards with her children
2. Where does Bim go with the Doctor?
(a) To a concert
(b) To the river
(c) To bed
(d) To a play
3. What do the children call their father?
(c) The one who loves us
(d) The master of the entrance and the exit
4. What sort of birds begin their calls before daylight around the family's home?
5. Where has Bakul been posted when he comes to ask Bim for permission to marry Tara?
(a) United States
6. What talent did their brother Raja have that developed into a career for him?
(a) He was a great cook
(b) He sang rock and roll
(c) He wrote poetry
(d) He drove race cars
7. What world event occurred that year that made such a difference in the lives of the four children?
(a) Vietnam War ends
(b) World War II begins
(c) Queen Victoria of England dies
(d) Independence for India and Pakistan
8. What color horse does Hyder Ali ride along the banks of the Jumna River
9. What does Tara ask Bim to do?
(a) Fix dinner for her and Bakul
(b) Move away from the house
(c) Do her laundry
(d) Attend the upcoming wedding of Raja's daughter
10. Where does Baba get the gramophone?
(a) He steals it from the Misras sisters
(b) He finds it in the dumpster
(c) From Sears
(d) From the empty house of Hyder Ali
11. What happened to Hyder Ali's household members?
(a) They fled to America
(b) They were all killed in the riots
(c) They were imprisoned
(d) They escaped to Hyderabad
12. What do Bim and the old man discuss?
(a) Bollywood celebrities
(c) Dr. Biswas
(d) Indian Partition
13. What goes wrong with Dr. Biswas and Bim?
(a) His mother does not like her, and Bim does not really like him
(b) There is too great an age difference
(c) Dr. Biswas is of a different religion
(d) Bim's father disapproves of Dr. Biswas
14. Why are the Misras brothers still living alone at their family home?
(a) The Misras sisters have asked them to come home
(b) They are drunkards and their wives have left them
(c) They were wounded in the war
(d) Their wives have left them for other men
15. Who does Raja share his knowledge and dreams with in the family?
(b) The jet-black cat
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Raja say as he is leaving for Hyderabad?
2. Who does Raja suggest to take over the family business?
3. What family pet is rescued from the tree in the garden?
4. What happened to the father?
5. What does Bim think of his statement?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)