|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What talent did their brother Raja have that developed into a career for him?
(a) He was a great cook
(b) He drove race cars
(c) He sang rock and roll
(d) He wrote poetry
2. What does Bakul tell people who ask detrimental questions about India?
(a) Mind your own business
(b) No comment
(c) I will check for you and find out
(d) I don't know the answer
3. What do the Misras sisters want Bakul, Bim and Tara to do that night?
(a) Come to Calcutta with them
(b) Iron their saris
(c) Take the brothers to a bar
(d) Stay for dinner
4. Which neighbors do Bakul, Bim and Tara decide to visit that night?
(a) Aunt Mira's family
(b) Hyder Ali Sahib
5. What does Bakul say to Tara when she decides to stay with her family that morning instead of going with him to New Delhi?
(a) She has made a wise decision that he agrees with
(b) He wants a divorce
(c) She has gone back to being the hopeless person she was before he married her
(d) She deserves time with her family after spending so much time taking care of his needs
6. What surrounds Tara's family home and those of her neighbors?
(a) Dry parched desert
(b) A lake
(c) Poverty and sickness
(d) Gardens full of plants and birds
7. When Bim and Baba return from Hyder Ali Sahib's house, what has happened?
(a) Aunt Mira has lost her mind and is running through the garden naked
(b) The cow has drowned in the garden
(c) All of the roses have died
(d) Tara has run off with Bakul
8. What sort of birds begin their calls before daylight around the family's home?
9. Why did Baba refuse the new 78 records that Tara found for him?
(a) He does not like Tara
(b) He is no longer using the gramophone
(c) He only likes the ones he has already
(d) He already has those copies
10. When Raja gets older, what other activity does he get involved in at Hyder Ali's home?
(a) He joins the circle of older men on the lawn, partaking in discussions
(b) He chews betel leaves with the servants
(c) He begins embroidery with the women
(d) He begins to do all the cooking for the family
11. What does Bim pull out of the desk to show to Tara that night?
(a) A scrapbook
(b) A letter from Raja to Bim saying he is now her landlord
(c) A love letter from Dr. Biswas
(d) Photos of their last visit
12. What does Dr. Biswas recommend as treatment for Aunt Mira?
(a) Counseling, and AA meetings
(b) Put her in a home
(c) Give her alcohol
(d) Have her killed
13. What is the first discussion the sisters have that shows how different they are from each other?
(a) When is Raja arriving
(b) What is for breakfast
(c) What is today's weather forecast
(d) Growing up and things changing from when they were children
14. What does Bim think of his statement?
(a) She is angry and throws him out of the house
(b) She agrees and begins weeping
(c) She seeks out his mother for her opnion
(d) She believes it to be completely false
15. Why does Raja's father refuse to sign for Raja to attend his chosen college?
(a) The college he wants specializes in Islamic studies
(b) The college Raja wants is not the father's alma mater
(c) The father is jealous of the closeness between Hyder Ali and Raja
(d) The college Raja wants is too expensive
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is sitting on the veranda while Raja departs the family home?
2. Who does Tara think Bim looks like?
3. How does Bim recover from grieving for Aunt Mira
4. What world event occurred that year that made such a difference in the lives of the four children?
5. What is wrong with Aunt Mira?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)