|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is sitting on the veranda while Raja departs the family home?
(a) Bim, Baba and the dog Begum
(b) Aunt Mira, Tara, and Bakul
(c) Tara, Begum the dog, and Aunt Mira
(d) Bim alone
2. Who did their brother Raja admire above all?
(a) Hyder Ali Sahib
(c) Roy Rogers
(d) Their father
3. Who does Raja suggest to take over the family business?
(b) Aunt Mira
(c) Dr. Biswas
4. Why can't they visit more often?
(a) Bakul cannot drive
(b) Tara is afraid of travelling
(c) Bakul is in foreign service and stationed in many different cities in the world
(d) Their daughters do not like Bim or Baba
5. What does Bim claim they do not have enough of for Bakul, yet she pours it generously for the cat and for Baba?
6. Why are the Misras brothers still living alone at their family home?
(a) They are drunkards and their wives have left them
(b) Their wives have left them for other men
(c) They were wounded in the war
(d) The Misras sisters have asked them to come home
7. Who does Raja share his knowledge and dreams with in the family?
(d) The jet-black cat
8. Why does Dr. Biswas think Bim is not interested in his courtship?
(a) Because she is in love with someone else
(b) She is not interested in men
(c) She wants to become a num
(d) She has dedicated her life to caring for her aunt and her brothers
9. In the summer of what year does Bim think time stopped for the family?
10. What happens when Raja's friends at Hindu College find out he believes the idea of Pakistan is feasible?
(a) They change their opinion and view to his
(b) They try to kill him
(c) They write letters to the newspaper in protest
(d) They become his enemies
11. Why did Baba refuse the new 78 records that Tara found for him?
(a) He already has those copies
(b) He is no longer using the gramophone
(c) He does not like Tara
(d) He only likes the ones he has already
12. Why is it so strange for Bim to ask Baba if he is going to the office that morning?
(a) Bim usually does not speak to Baba in the morning
(b) He is usually off on Tuesdays
(c) He is mentally retarded and never goes to the office
(d) He has already mentioned going to the track that morning
13. What did Hyder Ali offer to Raja?
(a) Scholarship to the Muslim university
(b) A job as chauffer
(c) A job cleaning stables
(d) Full access to his library
14. Why are the Misras sisters still living at the family home?
(a) Their husbands have abandoned them
(b) They were wounded in the war
(c) They want to be with their brothers
(d) They have a home based internet business
15. Whose ghost does Bim claim to have seen in the garden?
(a) Their mother
(b) The cow
(c) Their father
(d) Aunt Mira
Short Answer Questions
1. What talent did their brother Raja have that developed into a career for him?
2. How did Raja meet Hyder Ali?
3. What kind of business did the Misras brothers have and lose?
4. Where has Bakul been posted when he comes to ask Bim for permission to marry Tara?
5. What are the names of the people everyone is talking about that summer, according to this novel?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)