|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Raja gets older, what other activity does he get involved in at Hyder Ali's home?
(a) He begins embroidery with the women
(b) He chews betel leaves with the servants
(c) He begins to do all the cooking for the family
(d) He joins the circle of older men on the lawn, partaking in discussions
2. What do Bim and the old man discuss?
(b) Indian Partition
(c) Bollywood celebrities
(d) Dr. Biswas
3. What instrument does Dr. Biswas play?
4. What are the names of the people everyone is talking about that summer, according to this novel?
(a) Queen Elizabeth, Gandhi, Churchill and Nehru
(b) Gandhi, FDR, Churchill and Nehru
(c) Gandhi, Clinton, Reagan and Bush
(d) Gandhi, Mountbatten, Churchill, Jinnah and Nehru
5. What is the first discussion the sisters have that shows how different they are from each other?
(a) Growing up and things changing from when they were children
(b) When is Raja arriving
(c) What is for breakfast
(d) What is today's weather forecast
6. Where has Bakul been posted when he comes to ask Bim for permission to marry Tara?
(d) United States
7. What does Dr.Biswas ask Bim to do?
(a) Travel to Ceylon with him
(b) Meet his mother
(c) Allow him to move into the house
(d) His laundry
8. What does Bim return with from Hyder Ali Sahib's house?
(a) A dog, a cat, and some food
(b) Books, a dog and a car
(c) Furniture, money and some letters
(d) A dog, a servant, and the gramophone
9. What is wrong with Aunt Mira?
(a) She has diabetes
(b) She is in love with the gardner
(c) She is slowly going mad and drinking
(d) She has tuberculosis
10. What does Tara ask Bim to do?
(a) Move away from the house
(b) Do her laundry
(c) Fix dinner for her and Bakul
(d) Attend the upcoming wedding of Raja's daughter
11. How often do Bakul and Tara visit Bim and Baba?
(c) Every three to five years
(d) Every summer
12. Where does Tara remember going for escape from the neglect of her parents?
(a) To her Aunt Mira's room
(b) To the roof of the house
(c) To school
(d) To Hyder Ali Sahib's house to read
13. How does Tara, in this chapter, remember her parents?
(a) People who played cards, year after year, with their friends, and who ignored their children
(b) As reserved, but compassionate
(c) Loving parents who are involved in their children's futures
(d) She does not remember them at all
14. Who is sitting on the veranda while Raja departs the family home?
(a) Bim alone
(b) Tara, Begum the dog, and Aunt Mira
(c) Bim, Baba and the dog Begum
(d) Aunt Mira, Tara, and Bakul
15. Who does Dr. Biswas admire above all others?
(c) Elvis Presley
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't they visit more often?
2. What was the difference in religion between Raja and Hyder Ali?
3. What poet does Bim read to Raja to make him calm down?
4. Who begins to show interest in Bim?
5. When Bakul sees Bim with her students, what does he think?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)