|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Raja gets older, what other activity does he get involved in at Hyder Ali's home?
(a) He begins to do all the cooking for the family
(b) He begins embroidery with the women
(c) He joins the circle of older men on the lawn, partaking in discussions
(d) He chews betel leaves with the servants
2. Where does Tara remember going for escape from the neglect of her parents?
(a) To her Aunt Mira's room
(b) To school
(c) To Hyder Ali Sahib's house to read
(d) To the roof of the house
3. What surrounds Tara's family home and those of her neighbors?
(a) Poverty and sickness
(b) Gardens full of plants and birds
(c) Dry parched desert
(d) A lake
4. Why are the Misras sisters still living at the family home?
(a) Their husbands have abandoned them
(b) They want to be with their brothers
(c) They were wounded in the war
(d) They have a home based internet business
5. Who begins to show interest in Bim?
(a) One of her students
(b) Dr. Biswas
(d) A Buddhist monk
6. What does Dr. Biswas recommend as treatment for Aunt Mira?
(a) Put her in a home
(b) Give her alcohol
(c) Counseling, and AA meetings
(d) Have her killed
7. What does Mulk accuse his sisters of doing to him?
(a) Kidnapping his children
(b) Running off his musicians and denying him money
(c) Stealing his musical instruments
(d) Running off his wife
8. How did Raja meet Hyder Ali?
(a) Hyder's horse ran over the boy
(b) At a party at the Misras house
(c) Raja was swinging on Hyder Ali's garden gate when he reurned from a ride
(d) Bim introduced them
9. What poet does Bim read to Raja to make him calm down?
(c) Sylvia Plath
(d) Maya Angelou
10. What does Baba do that surprises everyone?
(a) He announces his upcoming marriage
(b) He asks for pancakes for breakfast
(c) He begins speaking Spanish
(d) He leaves the house
11. Bakul is waiting for them on the veranda. What music greets the sisters when they join Bakul?
(a) Bakul's transister radio
(b) Aunt Mira playing the flute
(c) Baba's old 78 records
(d) Country music from the Misras home
12. Who does Bim choose to speak to rather than the Misras brothers and sisters?
(b) One of the elder men of the Misras family
13. What family pet is rescued from the tree in the garden?
(a) Bim's cat
(b) Baba's gecko
(c) Rex the camel
(d) The parrot
14. What does Tara say she wants to be when she grows up?
(a) A caregiver
(b) A card player
(c) A mother
(d) A teacher
15. Who is asleep on the veranda when Bakul, Bim and Tara return home?
(b) The pet dog
(c) The jet-black cat
(d) Aunt Mira
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Raja's father refuse to sign for Raja to attend his chosen college?
2. Who is sitting on the veranda while Raja departs the family home?
3. Where does Bakul think he and Tara should have stayed instead of at her family home?
4. What does Bakul tell people who ask detrimental questions about India?
5. What kind of business did the Misras brothers have and lose?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)