|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mulk accuse his sisters of doing to him?
(a) Running off his wife
(b) Running off his musicians and denying him money
(c) Stealing his musical instruments
(d) Kidnapping his children
2. What did Baba play with before the gramophone?
(c) Video games
(d) Pebbles given to him by Aunt Mira
3. How does Tara, in this chapter, remember her parents?
(a) As reserved, but compassionate
(b) People who played cards, year after year, with their friends, and who ignored their children
(c) Loving parents who are involved in their children's futures
(d) She does not remember them at all
4. What overcomes Tara when she is at her family home?
(a) Sneezing and coughing
(b) Heat, laziness, intimidation by her sister
(c) An urge to cook
(d) Energy, excitement and enthusiasm
5. What does Bim claim they do not have enough of for Bakul, yet she pours it generously for the cat and for Baba?
6. What family pet joins the sisters in the garden?
(a) Rex the camel
(b) Bessie the cow
(c) Jayla the family parrot
(d) Badshah, the family dog
7. Who begins to show interest in Bim?
(a) A Buddhist monk
(b) Dr. Biswas
(c) One of her students
8. Where does Bim go with the Doctor?
(a) To a play
(b) To a concert
(c) To the river
(d) To bed
9. What are the names of the people everyone is talking about that summer, according to this novel?
(a) Gandhi, FDR, Churchill and Nehru
(b) Queen Elizabeth, Gandhi, Churchill and Nehru
(c) Gandhi, Mountbatten, Churchill, Jinnah and Nehru
(d) Gandhi, Clinton, Reagan and Bush
10. What does Bakul say to Tara when she decides to stay with her family that morning instead of going with him to New Delhi?
(a) She has made a wise decision that he agrees with
(b) She has gone back to being the hopeless person she was before he married her
(c) She deserves time with her family after spending so much time taking care of his needs
(d) He wants a divorce
11. What does Bim return with from Hyder Ali Sahib's house?
(a) Furniture, money and some letters
(b) Books, a dog and a car
(c) A dog, a servant, and the gramophone
(d) A dog, a cat, and some food
12. How does the richness of Hyder Ali's home compare to Raja's home?
(a) Raja's home is full of love and compassion and Ali's is void of emotion
(b) Raja's home is welcoming and warm, and Ali's home is cold and dark
(c) Raja's home is full of interesting people and no one visits Ali
(d) Raja's home is shabby and empty, devoid of friends, color and charm
13. What happens to Aunt Mira in this chapter?
(a) She begins obsessing about the cow
(b) She begins a career as a professional caregiver
(c) She dies
(d) She surprises everyone by marrying Dr. Biswas
14. Where has Bakul been posted when he comes to ask Bim for permission to marry Tara?
(c) United States
15. What skill do Raja and Bim possess and use throughout their childhood that Tara does not possess?
(a) Ability to read
(b) Ability to write
(c) Ability to memorize and recite
(d) Ability to speak another language
Short Answer Questions
1. When Raja gets older, what other activity does he get involved in at Hyder Ali's home?
2. What does Bim think of his statement?
3. What happened to Hyder Ali's household members?
4. Where does Bakul think he and Tara should have stayed instead of at her family home?
5. Why are the Misras sisters still living at the family home?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)