|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Bim and Baba return from Hyder Ali Sahib's house, what has happened?
(a) Tara has run off with Bakul
(b) The cow has drowned in the garden
(c) Aunt Mira has lost her mind and is running through the garden naked
(d) All of the roses have died
2. What does Dr. Biswas recommend as treatment for Aunt Mira?
(a) Counseling, and AA meetings
(b) Put her in a home
(c) Give her alcohol
(d) Have her killed
3. Who did their brother Raja admire above all?
(a) Hyder Ali Sahib
(b) Their father
(d) Roy Rogers
4. Which neighbors do Bakul, Bim and Tara decide to visit that night?
(a) Hyder Ali Sahib
(c) Aunt Mira's family
5. The sisters remember playing in the sand and along the banks of what nearby river?
6. What poet does Bim read to Raja to make him calm down?
(a) Maya Angelou
(b) Sylvia Plath
7. What does Mulk accuse his sisters of doing to him?
(a) Stealing his musical instruments
(b) Running off his musicians and denying him money
(c) Kidnapping his children
(d) Running off his wife
8. What happened to Hyder Ali's household members?
(a) They fled to America
(b) They escaped to Hyderabad
(c) They were all killed in the riots
(d) They were imprisoned
9. Who does Dr. Biswas admire above all others?
(c) Elvis Presley
10. How does Bim react to his interest?
(a) She ignores him
(b) She moves away
(c) She begins stalking him
(d) She falls in love
11. What does Bim attempt to do when she joins the others in the garden area and begins talking?
(a) Get slowly but surely drunk
(b) Flirt with Mulk
(c) To provoke reactions from Bakul and Tara
(d) Sleep on the grass
12. What childhood event do the Misras sisters remind Tara of that night?
(a) When the children first see Hyder Ali Sahib
(b) When the bees attacked Bim
(c) When their parents died
(d) When the mad dog was shot at school
13. What happens to Aunt Mira in this chapter?
(a) She surprises everyone by marrying Dr. Biswas
(b) She begins obsessing about the cow
(c) She begins a career as a professional caregiver
(d) She dies
14. What was the difference in religion between Raja and Hyder Ali?
(a) Raja is Hindu, Hyder Ali was Catholic
(b) Raja is Hindu, Hyder Ali is Muslim
(c) Raja is Catholic, Ali is Muslim
(d) Raja is Hindu, Ali is an atheist
15. What are the names of the people everyone is talking about that summer, according to this novel?
(a) Gandhi, Clinton, Reagan and Bush
(b) Queen Elizabeth, Gandhi, Churchill and Nehru
(c) Gandhi, Mountbatten, Churchill, Jinnah and Nehru
(d) Gandhi, FDR, Churchill and Nehru
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Raja say he will go?
2. Why are the Misras brothers still living alone at their family home?
3. What helps Raja to begin to get better?
4. Who is asleep on the veranda when Bakul, Bim and Tara return home?
5. Why are the Misras sisters still living at the family home?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)