|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the difference in religion between Raja and Hyder Ali?
(a) Raja is Hindu, Ali is an atheist
(b) Raja is Catholic, Ali is Muslim
(c) Raja is Hindu, Hyder Ali is Muslim
(d) Raja is Hindu, Hyder Ali was Catholic
2. What does Baba do that surprises everyone?
(a) He asks for pancakes for breakfast
(b) He leaves the house
(c) He announces his upcoming marriage
(d) He begins speaking Spanish
3. Who begins to show interest in Bim?
(a) Dr. Biswas
(c) One of her students
(d) A Buddhist monk
4. When Raja gets older, what other activity does he get involved in at Hyder Ali's home?
(a) He begins embroidery with the women
(b) He chews betel leaves with the servants
(c) He begins to do all the cooking for the family
(d) He joins the circle of older men on the lawn, partaking in discussions
5. What sort of birds begin their calls before daylight around the family's home?
6. What happened to Hyder Ali's household members?
(a) They escaped to Hyderabad
(b) They were imprisoned
(c) They fled to America
(d) They were all killed in the riots
7. What does Bim compare her cat to?
(a) Their mother
(d) Tara's daughters
8. What is Bim's answer when Raja says he wants to grow up to be a hero?
(a) She wants to be a sky diver
(b) She says she wants to grow up to be a heroine
(c) She wants to be a veterinarian
(d) She wants to be a playwright
9. Who does Bimla think of when she hears that Gandhi has been killed?
(a) Dr. Biswas
(c) Mrs. Gandhi
10. What do the Misras sisters want Bakul, Bim and Tara to do that night?
(a) Iron their saris
(b) Take the brothers to a bar
(c) Come to Calcutta with them
(d) Stay for dinner
11. What does Dr.Biswas ask Bim to do?
(a) Meet his mother
(b) Allow him to move into the house
(c) His laundry
(d) Travel to Ceylon with him
12. Where does Tara remember going for escape from the neglect of her parents?
(a) To her Aunt Mira's room
(b) To school
(c) To the roof of the house
(d) To Hyder Ali Sahib's house to read
13. What does Dr. Biswas recommend as treatment for Aunt Mira?
(a) Have her killed
(b) Give her alcohol
(c) Counseling, and AA meetings
(d) Put her in a home
14. Who is sitting on the veranda while Raja departs the family home?
(a) Bim, Baba and the dog Begum
(b) Aunt Mira, Tara, and Bakul
(c) Bim alone
(d) Tara, Begum the dog, and Aunt Mira
15. Where does Baba get the gramophone?
(a) From the empty house of Hyder Ali
(b) He finds it in the dumpster
(c) From Sears
(d) He steals it from the Misras sisters
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Raja say he will go?
2. What do Bim and the old man discuss?
3. What does Bakul say to Tara when she decides to stay with her family that morning instead of going with him to New Delhi?
4. What does Tara ask Bim to do?
5. What does Bim pull out of the desk to show to Tara that night?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)