|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where has Bakul been posted when he comes to ask Bim for permission to marry Tara?
(c) United States
2. What are the names of the people everyone is talking about that summer, according to this novel?
(a) Gandhi, Mountbatten, Churchill, Jinnah and Nehru
(b) Gandhi, FDR, Churchill and Nehru
(c) Gandhi, Clinton, Reagan and Bush
(d) Queen Elizabeth, Gandhi, Churchill and Nehru
3. How often do Bakul and Tara visit Bim and Baba?
(a) Every summer
(d) Every three to five years
4. What was the difference in religion between Raja and Hyder Ali?
(a) Raja is Hindu, Hyder Ali is Muslim
(b) Raja is Hindu, Ali is an atheist
(c) Raja is Catholic, Ali is Muslim
(d) Raja is Hindu, Hyder Ali was Catholic
5. What does Bim compare her cat to?
(b) Tara's daughters
(c) Their mother
6. Why are the Misras sisters still living at the family home?
(a) They have a home based internet business
(b) They were wounded in the war
(c) Their husbands have abandoned them
(d) They want to be with their brothers
7. Who did their brother Raja admire above all?
(b) Their father
(c) Roy Rogers
(d) Hyder Ali Sahib
8. How did Raja meet Hyder Ali?
(a) Raja was swinging on Hyder Ali's garden gate when he reurned from a ride
(b) Hyder's horse ran over the boy
(c) Bim introduced them
(d) At a party at the Misras house
9. What does Bim give Baba by way of apology for driving him out of the house that morning?
(a) A cigar
(b) A new record
(c) A new car
(d) An ice cream cone
10. Bakul is waiting for them on the veranda. What music greets the sisters when they join Bakul?
(a) Bakul's transister radio
(b) Country music from the Misras home
(c) Baba's old 78 records
(d) Aunt Mira playing the flute
11. Whose ghost does Bim claim to have seen in the garden?
(a) The cow
(b) Their mother
(c) Aunt Mira
(d) Their father
12. Who does Bimla think of when she hears that Gandhi has been killed?
(a) Mrs. Gandhi
(d) Dr. Biswas
13. What illness does Raja get that summer?
(b) Venereal disease
14. What happens to the mother?
(a) She grows old and Bim must care for her
(b) She runs off with the chauffeur
(c) She dies without the children ever seeing her again
(d) She divorces the father
15. What is wrong with Aunt Mira?
(a) She has diabetes
(b) She has tuberculosis
(c) She is slowly going mad and drinking
(d) She is in love with the gardner
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is asleep on the veranda when Bakul, Bim and Tara return home?
2. Where does Tara remember going for escape from the neglect of her parents?
3. When Bim and Baba return from Hyder Ali Sahib's house, what has happened?
4. What color horse does Hyder Ali ride along the banks of the Jumna River
5. What sort of birds begin their calls before daylight around the family's home?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)