|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The sisters remember playing in the sand and along the banks of what nearby river?
2. What is Tara's reaction to Bim's behavior regarding the letter?
(a) Tara is shocked and tries to convince Bim that Raja is not a bad man
(b) Tara is too busy looking at her fingernails to listen
(c) Tara decides to show the letter to Bakul to intercede on Bim's behalf
(d) Tara agrees that Raja is evil
3. Where is Tara spending all of her time?
(a) At the home of the Misras sisters
(b) At the home of Hyder Ali
(c) Under Aunt Mira's bed
(d) On the rose path
4. How do Bim's students describe Old Delhi?
(a) As a great cemetery, with every house a tomb
(b) A bustling business center
(c) The place where they wish to live forever
(d) A vibrant city representing progress
5. What does Tara say she wants to be when she grows up?
(a) A mother
(b) A teacher
(c) A card player
(d) A caregiver
6. What does Bakul say to Tara when she decides to stay with her family that morning instead of going with him to New Delhi?
(a) He wants a divorce
(b) She deserves time with her family after spending so much time taking care of his needs
(c) She has made a wise decision that he agrees with
(d) She has gone back to being the hopeless person she was before he married her
7. Who is sitting on the veranda while Raja departs the family home?
(a) Aunt Mira, Tara, and Bakul
(b) Bim alone
(c) Tara, Begum the dog, and Aunt Mira
(d) Bim, Baba and the dog Begum
8. What skill do Raja and Bim possess and use throughout their childhood that Tara does not possess?
(a) Ability to speak another language
(b) Ability to memorize and recite
(c) Ability to read
(d) Ability to write
9. When Bim and Baba return from Hyder Ali Sahib's house, what has happened?
(a) All of the roses have died
(b) The cow has drowned in the garden
(c) Tara has run off with Bakul
(d) Aunt Mira has lost her mind and is running through the garden naked
10. What family pet joins the sisters in the garden?
(a) Bessie the cow
(b) Rex the camel
(c) Badshah, the family dog
(d) Jayla the family parrot
11. Where does Baba get the gramophone?
(a) He steals it from the Misras sisters
(b) From the empty house of Hyder Ali
(c) He finds it in the dumpster
(d) From Sears
12. What is the first discussion the sisters have that shows how different they are from each other?
(a) What is for breakfast
(b) When is Raja arriving
(c) Growing up and things changing from when they were children
(d) What is today's weather forecast
13. Who is asleep on the veranda when Bakul, Bim and Tara return home?
(a) The pet dog
(b) Aunt Mira
(c) The jet-black cat
14. What was the difference in religion between Raja and Hyder Ali?
(a) Raja is Hindu, Ali is an atheist
(b) Raja is Hindu, Hyder Ali is Muslim
(c) Raja is Catholic, Ali is Muslim
(d) Raja is Hindu, Hyder Ali was Catholic
15. What does Dr.Biswas ask Bim to do?
(a) Travel to Ceylon with him
(b) Allow him to move into the house
(c) Meet his mother
(d) His laundry
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Baba refuse the new 78 records that Tara found for him?
2. When Bakul sees Bim with her students, what does he think?
3. How does Bim recover from grieving for Aunt Mira
4. What poet does Bim read to Raja to make him calm down?
5. What happened to Hyder Ali's household members?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)