|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose ghost does Bim claim to have seen in the garden?
(a) Their mother
(b) Their father
(c) Aunt Mira
(d) The cow
2. Where does Tara remember going for escape from the neglect of her parents?
(a) To school
(b) To her Aunt Mira's room
(c) To the roof of the house
(d) To Hyder Ali Sahib's house to read
3. Who does Bimla think of when she hears that Gandhi has been killed?
(b) Dr. Biswas
(d) Mrs. Gandhi
4. What does Dr. Biswas recommend as treatment for Aunt Mira?
(a) Put her in a home
(b) Counseling, and AA meetings
(c) Have her killed
(d) Give her alcohol
5. Who does Raja share his knowledge and dreams with in the family?
(b) The jet-black cat
6. What poet does Bim read to Raja to make him calm down?
(c) Maya Angelou
(d) Sylvia Plath
7. What does Mulk accuse his sisters of doing to him?
(a) Stealing his musical instruments
(b) Running off his musicians and denying him money
(c) Kidnapping his children
(d) Running off his wife
8. Who takes care of Raja?
9. What is the first discussion the sisters have that shows how different they are from each other?
(a) What is today's weather forecast
(b) When is Raja arriving
(c) Growing up and things changing from when they were children
(d) What is for breakfast
10. What does Bim pull out of the desk to show to Tara that night?
(a) Photos of their last visit
(b) A scrapbook
(c) A letter from Raja to Bim saying he is now her landlord
(d) A love letter from Dr. Biswas
11. When Bim and Baba return from Hyder Ali Sahib's house, what has happened?
(a) Aunt Mira has lost her mind and is running through the garden naked
(b) Tara has run off with Bakul
(c) The cow has drowned in the garden
(d) All of the roses have died
12. Why does Raja's father refuse to sign for Raja to attend his chosen college?
(a) The college he wants specializes in Islamic studies
(b) The father is jealous of the closeness between Hyder Ali and Raja
(c) The college Raja wants is not the father's alma mater
(d) The college Raja wants is too expensive
13. Who is sitting on the veranda while Raja departs the family home?
(a) Bim, Baba and the dog Begum
(b) Aunt Mira, Tara, and Bakul
(c) Tara, Begum the dog, and Aunt Mira
(d) Bim alone
14. What talent did their brother Raja have that developed into a career for him?
(a) He was a great cook
(b) He sang rock and roll
(c) He drove race cars
(d) He wrote poetry
15. Bakul is waiting for them on the veranda. What music greets the sisters when they join Bakul?
(a) Country music from the Misras home
(b) Bakul's transister radio
(c) Baba's old 78 records
(d) Aunt Mira playing the flute
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does Raja admire the most?
2. What does Bim give Baba by way of apology for driving him out of the house that morning?
3. What instrument does Dr. Biswas play?
4. What does Raja say as he is leaving for Hyderabad?
5. What does Dr. Biswas say is wrong with Bim?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)