Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often do Bakul and Tara visit Bim and Baba?
(a) Every three to five years
(b) Every summer
2. What surrounds Tara's family home and those of her neighbors?
(a) Gardens full of plants and birds
(b) Poverty and sickness
(c) A lake
(d) Dry parched desert
3. The sisters remember playing in the sand and along the banks of what nearby river?
4. What do the children call their father?
(b) The one who loves us
(c) The master of the entrance and the exit
5. What happened to their mother after twenty years of spending her evenings at the club?
(a) She found another man
(b) She decided she no longer wanted to play bridge
(c) She missed an evening and slipped into a coma
(d) She decided to spend the evening playing cards with her children
6. When Tara speaks of being young again, what is Bim's reaction?
(a) Bim says she doesn't remember much about her childhood
(b) Bim says she would love to be a child again
(c) Bim says she envies Tara's childhood more than her own
(d) Bim remarks she would never be young again for anything
7. Why did her father give her mother injections?
(a) Her mother had diabetes
(b) Her mother was a drug addict
(c) Her mother had t.b.
(d) He was slowly poisoning her
8. What does Bim claim they do not have enough of for Bakul, yet she pours it generously for the cat and for Baba?
9. Where does Tara remember going for escape from the neglect of her parents?
(a) To her Aunt Mira's room
(b) To the roof of the house
(c) To Hyder Ali Sahib's house to read
(d) To school
10. Where does Bakul think he and Tara should have stayed instead of at her family home?
(a) His uncle and aunt's on Aurangzeb Road
(b) In a hotel
(c) In the empty house of Hyder Ali Sahib
(d) At the home of Bakul's parents
11. What illness does Raja get that summer?
(d) Venereal disease
12. Who does Raja share his knowledge and dreams with in the family?
(d) The jet-black cat
13. What does Tara say she wants to be when she grows up?
(a) A mother
(b) A teacher
(c) A caregiver
(d) A card player
14. What goes wrong with Dr. Biswas and Bim?
(a) Dr. Biswas is of a different religion
(b) Bim's father disapproves of Dr. Biswas
(c) There is too great an age difference
(d) His mother does not like her, and Bim does not really like him
15. Who does Tara think Bim looks like?
(a) Their mother
(b) One of the Misras sisters
(c) Aunt Mira
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr.Biswas ask Bim to do?
2. What does Bim pull out of the desk to show to Tara that night?
3. How did Raja meet Hyder Ali?
4. What does Bim return with from Hyder Ali Sahib's house?
5. What is Bim's answer when Raja says he wants to grow up to be a hero?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)