|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What family pet is rescued from the tree in the garden?
(a) Rex the camel
(b) Bim's cat
(c) The parrot
(d) Baba's gecko
2. What language does Raja admire the most?
3. What does Bim attempt to do when she joins the others in the garden area and begins talking?
(a) Flirt with Mulk
(b) Get slowly but surely drunk
(c) To provoke reactions from Bakul and Tara
(d) Sleep on the grass
4. What does Bakul say to Tara when she decides to stay with her family that morning instead of going with him to New Delhi?
(a) She deserves time with her family after spending so much time taking care of his needs
(b) She has gone back to being the hopeless person she was before he married her
(c) She has made a wise decision that he agrees with
(d) He wants a divorce
5. What illness does Raja get that summer?
(b) Venereal disease
6. What family pet joins the sisters in the garden?
(a) Badshah, the family dog
(b) Jayla the family parrot
(c) Rex the camel
(d) Bessie the cow
7. Where does Tara remember going for escape from the neglect of her parents?
(a) To Hyder Ali Sahib's house to read
(b) To the roof of the house
(c) To school
(d) To her Aunt Mira's room
8. When Bim and Baba return from Hyder Ali Sahib's house, what has happened?
(a) All of the roses have died
(b) Tara has run off with Bakul
(c) The cow has drowned in the garden
(d) Aunt Mira has lost her mind and is running through the garden naked
9. How does the richness of Hyder Ali's home compare to Raja's home?
(a) Raja's home is shabby and empty, devoid of friends, color and charm
(b) Raja's home is full of love and compassion and Ali's is void of emotion
(c) Raja's home is full of interesting people and no one visits Ali
(d) Raja's home is welcoming and warm, and Ali's home is cold and dark
10. Who takes care of Raja?
11. Where does Baba get the gramophone?
(a) He finds it in the dumpster
(b) From the empty house of Hyder Ali
(c) He steals it from the Misras sisters
(d) From Sears
12. Where does Bim go with the Doctor?
(a) To a play
(b) To a concert
(c) To bed
(d) To the river
13. What does Dr. Biswas say is wrong with Bim?
(a) She is getting fat
(b) She is caring for too many sick people
(c) She is getting gray
(d) She is conceited
14. Who does Dr. Biswas admire above all others?
(b) Elvis Presley
15. What does Bim pull out of the desk to show to Tara that night?
(a) A scrapbook
(b) A letter from Raja to Bim saying he is now her landlord
(c) A love letter from Dr. Biswas
(d) Photos of their last visit
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tara speaks of being young again, what is Bim's reaction?
2. Why are the Misras sisters still living at the family home?
3. In the summer of what year does Bim think time stopped for the family?
4. What does Mulk accuse his sisters of doing to him?
5. Why are the Misras brothers still living alone at their family home?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)