|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the mother?
(a) She divorces the father
(b) She runs off with the chauffeur
(c) She dies without the children ever seeing her again
(d) She grows old and Bim must care for her
2. Who does Raja suggest to take over the family business?
(a) Dr. Biswas
(d) Aunt Mira
3. What happened to their mother after twenty years of spending her evenings at the club?
(a) She decided she no longer wanted to play bridge
(b) She found another man
(c) She decided to spend the evening playing cards with her children
(d) She missed an evening and slipped into a coma
4. What language does Raja admire the most?
5. What does Bim pull out of the desk to show to Tara that night?
(a) A letter from Raja to Bim saying he is now her landlord
(b) A scrapbook
(c) Photos of their last visit
(d) A love letter from Dr. Biswas
6. What does Baba do that surprises everyone?
(a) He leaves the house
(b) He begins speaking Spanish
(c) He announces his upcoming marriage
(d) He asks for pancakes for breakfast
7. What is Bim's answer when Raja says he wants to grow up to be a hero?
(a) She wants to be a sky diver
(b) She says she wants to grow up to be a heroine
(c) She wants to be a veterinarian
(d) She wants to be a playwright
8. What childhood event do the Misras sisters remind Tara of that night?
(a) When the mad dog was shot at school
(b) When the bees attacked Bim
(c) When the children first see Hyder Ali Sahib
(d) When their parents died
9. What did Hyder Ali offer to Raja?
(a) Scholarship to the Muslim university
(b) A job cleaning stables
(c) A job as chauffer
(d) Full access to his library
10. Why are the Misras brothers still living alone at their family home?
(a) They are drunkards and their wives have left them
(b) Their wives have left them for other men
(c) They were wounded in the war
(d) The Misras sisters have asked them to come home
11. What does Bakul tell people who ask detrimental questions about India?
(a) I will check for you and find out
(b) I don't know the answer
(c) Mind your own business
(d) No comment
12. How does this family dispose of the dead?
(a) Burial in a plot in the back yard
(c) Burial in an expensive crypt
(d) Burial at sea
13. What do the children call their father?
(a) The master of the entrance and the exit
(c) The one who loves us
14. What family pet is rescued from the tree in the garden?
(a) Baba's gecko
(b) Rex the camel
(c) The parrot
(d) Bim's cat
15. Where has Bakul been posted when he comes to ask Bim for permission to marry Tara?
(c) United States
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Raja meet Hyder Ali?
2. Why is it so strange for Bim to ask Baba if he is going to the office that morning?
3. Who is sitting on the veranda while Raja departs the family home?
4. What happens when Raja's friends at Hindu College find out he believes the idea of Pakistan is feasible?
5. Where does Tara remember going for escape from the neglect of her parents?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)