|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of business did the Misras brothers have and lose?
(a) Car washing
(b) Auto repair shop
(c) Bar and Grill
(d) Ice factory and soda water business
2. What does Bim think of his statement?
(a) She seeks out his mother for her opnion
(b) She is angry and throws him out of the house
(c) She believes it to be completely false
(d) She agrees and begins weeping
3. What helps Raja to begin to get better?
(a) A new medicine brought by Dr. Biswas
(b) A letter from Hyder Ali Sahib and his daughter Benazir
(c) He falls in love with one of the Misras sisters
(d) Winter arrives and it is cooler
4. Where has Bakul been posted when he comes to ask Bim for permission to marry Tara?
(a) United States
5. How does Bim recover from grieving for Aunt Mira
(a) Bim begins going to church regularly
(b) She spends time at Mira's grave, talking to her
(c) Repeating the poem The Waste Land
(d) She writes a long letter to Raja concerning their memories of Mira
6. Why did her father give her mother injections?
(a) Her mother had diabetes
(b) Her mother was a drug addict
(c) He was slowly poisoning her
(d) Her mother had t.b.
7. Why did Baba refuse the new 78 records that Tara found for him?
(a) He is no longer using the gramophone
(b) He does not like Tara
(c) He only likes the ones he has already
(d) He already has those copies
8. How does this family dispose of the dead?
(a) Burial in an expensive crypt
(b) Burial in a plot in the back yard
(d) Burial at sea
9. What childhood event do the Misras sisters remind Tara of that night?
(a) When the children first see Hyder Ali Sahib
(b) When their parents died
(c) When the mad dog was shot at school
(d) When the bees attacked Bim
10. Who is asleep on the veranda when Bakul, Bim and Tara return home?
(a) The pet dog
(b) Aunt Mira
(c) The jet-black cat
11. How did Raja meet Hyder Ali?
(a) Raja was swinging on Hyder Ali's garden gate when he reurned from a ride
(b) Hyder's horse ran over the boy
(c) Bim introduced them
(d) At a party at the Misras house
12. What do Bim and the old man discuss?
(a) Bollywood celebrities
(b) Dr. Biswas
(d) Indian Partition
13. What happened to Hyder Ali's household members?
(a) They fled to America
(b) They were imprisoned
(c) They escaped to Hyderabad
(d) They were all killed in the riots
14. Who does Dr. Biswas admire above all others?
(b) Elvis Presley
15. What illness does Raja get that summer?
(b) Venereal disease
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tara remember going for escape from the neglect of her parents?
2. What does Bakul say to Tara when she decides to stay with her family that morning instead of going with him to New Delhi?
3. What happens to Aunt Mira in this chapter?
4. What does Bim compare her cat to?
5. What are the names of the people everyone is talking about that summer, according to this novel?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)