|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bakul is waiting for them on the veranda. What music greets the sisters when they join Bakul?
(a) Aunt Mira playing the flute
(b) Baba's old 78 records
(c) Bakul's transister radio
(d) Country music from the Misras home
2. What color horse does Hyder Ali ride along the banks of the Jumna River
3. When Bakul sees Bim with her students, what does he think?
(a) That Bim has grown fat and ugly
(b) That Bim is in love with one of her students
(c) That perhaps he has married the wrong sister
(d) That Bim is a bad teacher
4. Where does Bim go with the Doctor?
(a) To the river
(b) To a concert
(c) To a play
(d) To bed
5. Whose ghost does Bim claim to have seen in the garden?
(a) The cow
(b) Aunt Mira
(c) Their mother
(d) Their father
6. What does Mulk accuse his sisters of doing to him?
(a) Running off his wife
(b) Stealing his musical instruments
(c) Kidnapping his children
(d) Running off his musicians and denying him money
7. What is wrong with Aunt Mira?
(a) She is slowly going mad and drinking
(b) She has tuberculosis
(c) She has diabetes
(d) She is in love with the gardner
8. What does Dr. Biswas say is wrong with Bim?
(a) She is getting fat
(b) She is getting gray
(c) She is conceited
(d) She is caring for too many sick people
9. Who is asleep on the veranda when Bakul, Bim and Tara return home?
(a) The jet-black cat
(c) The pet dog
(d) Aunt Mira
10. How often do Bakul and Tara visit Bim and Baba?
(a) Every summer
(b) Every three to five years
11. What does Bakul tell people who ask detrimental questions about India?
(a) Mind your own business
(b) No comment
(c) I will check for you and find out
(d) I don't know the answer
12. What helps Raja to begin to get better?
(a) A new medicine brought by Dr. Biswas
(b) A letter from Hyder Ali Sahib and his daughter Benazir
(c) Winter arrives and it is cooler
(d) He falls in love with one of the Misras sisters
13. What childhood event do the Misras sisters remind Tara of that night?
(a) When the mad dog was shot at school
(b) When their parents died
(c) When the bees attacked Bim
(d) When the children first see Hyder Ali Sahib
14. What overcomes Tara when she is at her family home?
(a) Sneezing and coughing
(b) An urge to cook
(c) Heat, laziness, intimidation by her sister
(d) Energy, excitement and enthusiasm
15. What family pet joins the sisters in the garden?
(a) Badshah, the family dog
(b) Bessie the cow
(c) Jayla the family parrot
(d) Rex the camel
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Misras sisters want Bakul, Bim and Tara to do that night?
2. Who does Bimla think of when she hears that Gandhi has been killed?
3. Why did Baba refuse the new 78 records that Tara found for him?
4. What language does Raja admire the most?
5. What happened to their mother after twenty years of spending her evenings at the club?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)