|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the Misras sisters still living at the family home?
(a) They want to be with their brothers
(b) Their husbands have abandoned them
(c) They were wounded in the war
(d) They have a home based internet business
2. In the summer of what year does Bim think time stopped for the family?
3. How does Bim recover from grieving for Aunt Mira
(a) Repeating the poem The Waste Land
(b) Bim begins going to church regularly
(c) She spends time at Mira's grave, talking to her
(d) She writes a long letter to Raja concerning their memories of Mira
4. What do the children call their father?
(b) The one who loves us
(c) The master of the entrance and the exit
5. Who is sitting on the veranda while Raja departs the family home?
(a) Aunt Mira, Tara, and Bakul
(b) Tara, Begum the dog, and Aunt Mira
(c) Bim, Baba and the dog Begum
(d) Bim alone
6. What happened to the father?
(a) He remarries
(b) He becomes successful in business and leaves
(c) He falls in love with Mira
(d) He dies in an automobile accident
7. Whose ghost does Bim claim to have seen in the garden?
(a) The cow
(b) Their father
(c) Aunt Mira
(d) Their mother
8. What does Raja say as he is leaving for Hyderabad?
(a) That he will never come back
(b) That he will return to care for Bim and Baba
(c) That he wants Bim to send his books to him there
(d) That he knows his true love is Bim but he cannot have her
9. What poet does Bim read to Raja to make him calm down?
(a) Maya Angelou
(c) Sylvia Plath
10. What does Tara ask Bim to do?
(a) Do her laundry
(b) Move away from the house
(c) Attend the upcoming wedding of Raja's daughter
(d) Fix dinner for her and Bakul
11. Who does Tara think Bim looks like?
(a) Their mother
(b) One of the Misras sisters
(c) Aunt Mira
12. What does Tara say she wants to be when she grows up?
(a) A caregiver
(b) A teacher
(c) A mother
(d) A card player
13. What surrounds Tara's family home and those of her neighbors?
(a) A lake
(b) Gardens full of plants and birds
(c) Poverty and sickness
(d) Dry parched desert
14. How does the richness of Hyder Ali's home compare to Raja's home?
(a) Raja's home is shabby and empty, devoid of friends, color and charm
(b) Raja's home is full of love and compassion and Ali's is void of emotion
(c) Raja's home is full of interesting people and no one visits Ali
(d) Raja's home is welcoming and warm, and Ali's home is cold and dark
15. How does this family dispose of the dead?
(a) Burial at sea
(b) Burial in an expensive crypt
(c) Burial in a plot in the back yard
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Baba play with before the gramophone?
2. What language does Raja admire the most?
3. What happens to Aunt Mira in this chapter?
4. Who does Bimla think of when she hears that Gandhi has been killed?
5. Why is it so strange for Bim to ask Baba if he is going to the office that morning?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)