|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What poet does Bim read to Raja to make him calm down?
(c) Maya Angelou
(d) Sylvia Plath
2. What does Bim attempt to do when she joins the others in the garden area and begins talking?
(a) Flirt with Mulk
(b) Sleep on the grass
(c) To provoke reactions from Bakul and Tara
(d) Get slowly but surely drunk
3. Who does Bim choose to speak to rather than the Misras brothers and sisters?
(b) One of the elder men of the Misras family
4. Where does Bakul think he and Tara should have stayed instead of at her family home?
(a) His uncle and aunt's on Aurangzeb Road
(b) At the home of Bakul's parents
(c) In the empty house of Hyder Ali Sahib
(d) In a hotel
5. What instrument does Dr. Biswas play?
6. Where does Bim go with the Doctor?
(a) To the river
(b) To a concert
(c) To bed
(d) To a play
7. Who does Dr. Biswas admire above all others?
(a) Elvis Presley
8. What was the difference in religion between Raja and Hyder Ali?
(a) Raja is Hindu, Ali is an atheist
(b) Raja is Hindu, Hyder Ali is Muslim
(c) Raja is Catholic, Ali is Muslim
(d) Raja is Hindu, Hyder Ali was Catholic
9. What does Tara say she wants to be when she grows up?
(a) A mother
(b) A card player
(c) A caregiver
(d) A teacher
10. What do Bim and the old man discuss?
(a) Bollywood celebrities
(b) Dr. Biswas
(d) Indian Partition
11. What does Raja say as he is leaving for Hyderabad?
(a) That he wants Bim to send his books to him there
(b) That he will return to care for Bim and Baba
(c) That he knows his true love is Bim but he cannot have her
(d) That he will never come back
12. When Raja gets older, what other activity does he get involved in at Hyder Ali's home?
(a) He begins embroidery with the women
(b) He joins the circle of older men on the lawn, partaking in discussions
(c) He begins to do all the cooking for the family
(d) He chews betel leaves with the servants
13. Who does Raja suggest to take over the family business?
(a) Dr. Biswas
(b) Aunt Mira
14. Where is Tara spending all of her time?
(a) On the rose path
(b) At the home of Hyder Ali
(c) Under Aunt Mira's bed
(d) At the home of the Misras sisters
15. Who does Raja share his knowledge and dreams with in the family?
(c) The jet-black cat
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Misras sisters want Bakul, Bim and Tara to do that night?
2. How often do Bakul and Tara visit Bim and Baba?
3. What happened to Hyder Ali's household members?
4. What are the names of the people everyone is talking about that summer, according to this novel?
5. Where does Tara remember going for escape from the neglect of her parents?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)