|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Aunt Mira in this chapter?
(a) She dies
(b) She begins obsessing about the cow
(c) She begins a career as a professional caregiver
(d) She surprises everyone by marrying Dr. Biswas
2. What overcomes Tara when she is at her family home?
(a) Heat, laziness, intimidation by her sister
(b) Sneezing and coughing
(c) An urge to cook
(d) Energy, excitement and enthusiasm
3. Why does Raja's father refuse to sign for Raja to attend his chosen college?
(a) The father is jealous of the closeness between Hyder Ali and Raja
(b) The college Raja wants is not the father's alma mater
(c) The college Raja wants is too expensive
(d) The college he wants specializes in Islamic studies
4. How does Bim recover from grieving for Aunt Mira
(a) She spends time at Mira's grave, talking to her
(b) She writes a long letter to Raja concerning their memories of Mira
(c) Bim begins going to church regularly
(d) Repeating the poem The Waste Land
5. Why does Dr. Biswas think Bim is not interested in his courtship?
(a) Because she is in love with someone else
(b) She has dedicated her life to caring for her aunt and her brothers
(c) She is not interested in men
(d) She wants to become a num
6. What do the children call their father?
(b) The one who loves us
(c) The master of the entrance and the exit
7. What does Bim pull out of the desk to show to Tara that night?
(a) Photos of their last visit
(b) A love letter from Dr. Biswas
(c) A scrapbook
(d) A letter from Raja to Bim saying he is now her landlord
8. Where does Baba get the gramophone?
(a) He steals it from the Misras sisters
(b) He finds it in the dumpster
(c) From the empty house of Hyder Ali
(d) From Sears
9. Why is it so strange for Bim to ask Baba if he is going to the office that morning?
(a) He is usually off on Tuesdays
(b) He is mentally retarded and never goes to the office
(c) Bim usually does not speak to Baba in the morning
(d) He has already mentioned going to the track that morning
10. What kind of business did the Misras brothers have and lose?
(a) Car washing
(b) Ice factory and soda water business
(c) Auto repair shop
(d) Bar and Grill
11. When Tara speaks of being young again, what is Bim's reaction?
(a) Bim says she envies Tara's childhood more than her own
(b) Bim says she doesn't remember much about her childhood
(c) Bim says she would love to be a child again
(d) Bim remarks she would never be young again for anything
12. What does Bakul tell people who ask detrimental questions about India?
(a) Mind your own business
(b) I will check for you and find out
(c) No comment
(d) I don't know the answer
13. What does Dr. Biswas recommend as treatment for Aunt Mira?
(a) Counseling, and AA meetings
(b) Put her in a home
(c) Give her alcohol
(d) Have her killed
14. When Raja gets older, what other activity does he get involved in at Hyder Ali's home?
(a) He joins the circle of older men on the lawn, partaking in discussions
(b) He begins embroidery with the women
(c) He begins to do all the cooking for the family
(d) He chews betel leaves with the servants
15. What did Baba play with before the gramophone?
(b) Video games
(c) Pebbles given to him by Aunt Mira
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bim's answer when Raja says he wants to grow up to be a hero?
2. What helps Raja to begin to get better?
3. What does Dr. Biswas say is wrong with Bim?
4. How does the richness of Hyder Ali's home compare to Raja's home?
5. What family pet joins the sisters in the garden?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)