|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the children call their father?
(a) The one who loves us
(b) The master of the entrance and the exit
2. How does the richness of Hyder Ali's home compare to Raja's home?
(a) Raja's home is full of love and compassion and Ali's is void of emotion
(b) Raja's home is shabby and empty, devoid of friends, color and charm
(c) Raja's home is full of interesting people and no one visits Ali
(d) Raja's home is welcoming and warm, and Ali's home is cold and dark
3. What did Hyder Ali offer to Raja?
(a) Full access to his library
(b) A job as chauffer
(c) Scholarship to the Muslim university
(d) A job cleaning stables
4. What childhood event do the Misras sisters remind Tara of that night?
(a) When the children first see Hyder Ali Sahib
(b) When their parents died
(c) When the bees attacked Bim
(d) When the mad dog was shot at school
5. What does Bim pull out of the desk to show to Tara that night?
(a) Photos of their last visit
(b) A letter from Raja to Bim saying he is now her landlord
(c) A love letter from Dr. Biswas
(d) A scrapbook
6. What does Bim give Baba by way of apology for driving him out of the house that morning?
(a) A new car
(b) A cigar
(c) An ice cream cone
(d) A new record
7. What disrupts the neighborhood gathering?
(a) The city fires are getting dangerously close
(b) Bakul gets angry and leaves
(c) Curfew bells sound
(d) Mulk, one of the brothers, gets drunk and abusive
8. Who is sitting on the veranda while Raja departs the family home?
(a) Bim, Baba and the dog Begum
(b) Aunt Mira, Tara, and Bakul
(c) Bim alone
(d) Tara, Begum the dog, and Aunt Mira
9. What overcomes Tara when she is at her family home?
(a) Heat, laziness, intimidation by her sister
(b) Sneezing and coughing
(c) An urge to cook
(d) Energy, excitement and enthusiasm
10. What does Bakul say to Tara when she decides to stay with her family that morning instead of going with him to New Delhi?
(a) He wants a divorce
(b) She has gone back to being the hopeless person she was before he married her
(c) She has made a wise decision that he agrees with
(d) She deserves time with her family after spending so much time taking care of his needs
11. What happens to Aunt Mira in this chapter?
(a) She dies
(b) She begins a career as a professional caregiver
(c) She begins obsessing about the cow
(d) She surprises everyone by marrying Dr. Biswas
12. What is the first discussion the sisters have that shows how different they are from each other?
(a) Growing up and things changing from when they were children
(b) What is for breakfast
(c) When is Raja arriving
(d) What is today's weather forecast
13. What language does Raja admire the most?
14. Who is asleep on the veranda when Bakul, Bim and Tara return home?
(b) Aunt Mira
(c) The jet-black cat
(d) The pet dog
15. What does Raja say as he is leaving for Hyderabad?
(a) That he wants Bim to send his books to him there
(b) That he knows his true love is Bim but he cannot have her
(c) That he will never come back
(d) That he will return to care for Bim and Baba
Short Answer Questions
1. What family pet is rescued from the tree in the garden?
2. Who did their brother Raja admire above all?
3. What does Dr.Biswas ask Bim to do?
4. How does Bim react to his interest?
5. What talent did their brother Raja have that developed into a career for him?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)