|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Bim choose to speak to rather than the Misras brothers and sisters?
(d) One of the elder men of the Misras family
2. What does Raja say as he is leaving for Hyderabad?
(a) That he wants Bim to send his books to him there
(b) That he will return to care for Bim and Baba
(c) That he will never come back
(d) That he knows his true love is Bim but he cannot have her
3. Who does Raja share his knowledge and dreams with in the family?
(a) The jet-black cat
4. What language does Raja admire the most?
5. Whose ghost does Bim claim to have seen in the garden?
(a) Aunt Mira
(b) The cow
(c) Their mother
(d) Their father
6. Where is Tara spending all of her time?
(a) On the rose path
(b) At the home of the Misras sisters
(c) At the home of Hyder Ali
(d) Under Aunt Mira's bed
7. The sisters remember playing in the sand and along the banks of what nearby river?
8. Why are the Misras brothers still living alone at their family home?
(a) They were wounded in the war
(b) The Misras sisters have asked them to come home
(c) Their wives have left them for other men
(d) They are drunkards and their wives have left them
9. What goes wrong with Dr. Biswas and Bim?
(a) There is too great an age difference
(b) Dr. Biswas is of a different religion
(c) His mother does not like her, and Bim does not really like him
(d) Bim's father disapproves of Dr. Biswas
10. Who does Bimla think of when she hears that Gandhi has been killed?
(a) Mrs. Gandhi
(d) Dr. Biswas
11. What was the difference in religion between Raja and Hyder Ali?
(a) Raja is Hindu, Hyder Ali was Catholic
(b) Raja is Hindu, Ali is an atheist
(c) Raja is Hindu, Hyder Ali is Muslim
(d) Raja is Catholic, Ali is Muslim
12. What does Bim give Baba by way of apology for driving him out of the house that morning?
(a) A new car
(b) An ice cream cone
(c) A new record
(d) A cigar
13. What childhood event do the Misras sisters remind Tara of that night?
(a) When their parents died
(b) When the bees attacked Bim
(c) When the children first see Hyder Ali Sahib
(d) When the mad dog was shot at school
14. What does Bim pull out of the desk to show to Tara that night?
(a) A love letter from Dr. Biswas
(b) A scrapbook
(c) Photos of their last visit
(d) A letter from Raja to Bim saying he is now her landlord
15. What is wrong with Aunt Mira?
(a) She is in love with the gardner
(b) She is slowly going mad and drinking
(c) She has tuberculosis
(d) She has diabetes
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't they visit more often?
2. When Bim and Baba return from Hyder Ali Sahib's house, what has happened?
3. How does the richness of Hyder Ali's home compare to Raja's home?
4. How does Bim recover from grieving for Aunt Mira
5. What does Bim claim they do not have enough of for Bakul, yet she pours it generously for the cat and for Baba?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)