Short Essay Questions
1. How is Old Delhi different from New Delhi? Re-read the parts describing the city and note the words the author uses. Do the words create a sense of place?
2. What are some of the basic differences between Tara and Bim? Examine their appearance, their attitudes, their sense of family.
3. Describe Bakul's appearance and behavior, and discuss his attitude towards his work and towards his wife.
4. Describe Bim as an adult woman, including her attitude towards her family members as well as her appearance.
5. Describe the way Bim speaks to Tara, to Bakul and to Baba.
6. Describe the family home and the feeling you get about it.
7. What is Tara's purpose in coming to the family home?
8. Describe how Bim sees her brother's poems now.
9. Why does Bim show the letter from Raja to Tara?
10. Why is Bim's conversation with the elder Misras important to the plot?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)