|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although many of the people at the facility are criminals, some are:
2. What color is the paint on the non-metallic stealth weapons?
3. The police in Mobile are outraged when they learn that the murderers of their friend and colleague are going to get which of the following?
4. Robby Jackson makes it a point to run into which of the following at the airport?
5. The Admiral says he will claim responsibility of the _______,
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ritter's position in regards to shutting down all operations except for CAPER? Who gives Ritter the order?
2. What attempt is made by Ritter and Moore to find out Ryan's plans in Colombia? How is the attempt thwarted?
3. Robby Jackson goes aboard the USS Ranger. What is Jackson's mission? What does he find on the ship?
4. Discuss John Clark's military and post-military experience. What was Clark's nickname?
5. What do Clark and Larson find when the re-establish communication with the ground troops? What is the outcome of the extraction plan?
6. Discuss the scene between Ryan and Greer. Where does the conversation take place?
7. Discuss the extraction made by Johns and Ryan. What happens to the helicopter?
8. What is the reaction of the President and other high level officials regarding the bombing in Medellin? What steps does the President take to try and sweep it under the rug?
9. Captain Ramirez gives new orders to KNIFE. Explain the mission and its purpose. What are Ramirez's thoughts on the issue?
10. What piece of evidence is found at Cutter's home? Where is it found? Is it usable?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many agencies, military branches and international organizations mentioned in the book. Create a chart of each organization, its hierarchy, and where the characters fit into the story. Show who is in charge, which agency has the final say on operations, and how each relates to various military branches such as the Coast Guard and Navy. Also explain each group's role in each operation.
Essay Topic 2
Back stories are important as they fill in the gaps of characters' lives that may not have been addressed elsewhere. This is seen clearly in the back stories of Felix Cortez, Admiral Greer and others. Explain how Clancy uses the technique. When is the appropriate time for a back story? Does the back story always resolve unanswered questions? Where might Clancy use it in reference to other characters or situations? Give at least three examples and explain in detail.
Essay Topic 3
Clancy is a master at using foreshadowing to hint at various key pieces of information. Use at least five examples of foreshadowing in the story and explain why each is important. How else could Clancy reveal the pertinent information if he did not use the foreshadowing technique?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)