|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The pilots are interrogated and then sent to be arraigned in front of a federal judge in which state?
2. What is Jack Ryan's title within the agency?
3. What are Grumman A-6E Intruders?
4. Colonel Felix Cortez is a former member of which organization?
5. What kind of weapon is uncovered by Chavez?
Short Essay Questions
1. Cutter and Ritter plan for another operation to coincide with SHOWBOAT. What is the second operation and what is the purpose of each?
2. A booby trap is set at an airstrip after two guards are killed. Discuss the scene and how the operation is discovered by Cortez.
3. What is Bronco Williams' most recent mission? What is Williams' opinion of the job?
4. Name at least two events that occur in Operation SHOWBOAT after the men leave Colorado.
5. What action does Moira take that puts the Director in danger? How is the information passed on and to whom?
6. Where are Larson and Ritter while Chavez and his men watch the burials in Chicago? What are the men doing?
7. What is Cortez's opinion of Moira Wolfe? What is the benefit of the relationship for Cortez?
8. Felix Cortez reminisces about his work in Puerto Rico. What was the mission that involved Cortez?
9. What happens to Moira when she returns from her weekend with Diaz? What is Moira's reaction?
10. Explain the scenario in which Wegener and his crew come across the Empire Builder.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The drugs cartels that operated in Colombia and specifically Medellin were often thought to be untouchable by law enforcement. Why were the drug lords so well protected and by whom? How wealthy and powerful are the cartels? Are government officials involved in the drug trade? What kinds of operations have been performed to take down the cartels? Compare the actions taken in the book with real life actions taken by the US and foreign governments. Were any of the major cartels ever extinguished? If so, how was it done? What happened to the cartel leaders?
Essay Topic 2
There is a great deal of political intrigue and international criminal activity involved in the book. This is a common theme for Tom Clancy. Write about Clancy's work. What other books involve Jack Ryan and/or similar themes to the ones presented in "Clear and Present Danger?" Why do you think Clancy is so fascinated with terrorists and international intrigue? What is Clancy's background? How many books has Clancy written? Have you ever read any of Clancy's other books?
Essay Topic 3
"Clear and Present Danger" was published in 1989, a time when the activity of the Colombian cartels was at its peak. Using the information in the book, update the situation as it stands today and how the efforts in the late 80s and early 90s made significant change in Colombia and related nations. Also compare the standard technology used in the book, e.g., Blackhawks, surveillance techniques, with modern technology that would be used today in a similar situation. How do you think an operation of that magnitude would be handled today? Would it be easier or more difficult?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)