|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the men taken to begin the operation?
2. What is the name of Ryan's director?
3. What is the name of the new operation?
4. What is the name of the ship intercepted on the first mission?
5. What is the code name of Chavez's squad?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the initial determination of Shaw in regards to the Jacobs assassination? What is Shaw's plan?
2. Where are Larson and Ritter while Chavez and his men watch the burials in Chicago? What are the men doing?
3. Explain the scenario in which Wegener and his crew come across the Empire Builder.
4. What is the purpose of Dan Murray's trip to Mobile? What is Murray's opinion on the case?
5. What happens to Moira when she returns from her weekend with Diaz? What is Moira's reaction?
6. What are the details of the orders given to the army team deployed to the Colombian jungle?
7. What operation does Director Jacobs discuss with Moira as he dictates details? What is the nature of the operation? What is its code name?
8. What decision is made by Cutter, Moore, Jacobs and the President in the Oval Office? What is Jacobs' opinion? How does it affect Ryan?
9. Name at least two events that occur in Operation SHOWBOAT after the men leave Colorado.
10. Felix Cortez reminisces about his work in Puerto Rico. What was the mission that involved Cortez?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
US Navy Vice Admiral James Greer is forever tied to his position at the US Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland. Ryan is also tied to the Naval Academy, having been a former professor of Naval History. Discuss the US Naval Academy. Examine how each man's military training and experience led them from careers at the Naval Academy to the CIA. How did Greer become Director of Intelligence? Was Greer the one that recruited Ryan to be the Deputy Director and then the Acting Director? What skills would be necessary to hold either position? What was the history between Greer and Ryan?
Essay Topic 2
Communications surveillance plays a large part in the story, particularly when it comes to learning about the activities of Escobedo and Cortez. Discuss Operation CAPER and how it impacted the case. How was the operation carried out? To what lengths did the government go to ensure that Escobedo's phones were tapped? What else was involved in CAPER? Was CAPER a success? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Back stories are important as they fill in the gaps of characters' lives that may not have been addressed elsewhere. This is seen clearly in the back stories of Felix Cortez, Admiral Greer and others. Explain how Clancy uses the technique. When is the appropriate time for a back story? Does the back story always resolve unanswered questions? Where might Clancy use it in reference to other characters or situations? Give at least three examples and explain in detail.
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)